Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChickenWing posted:

this but call it Point Defense and give it bitchin particle effects (like how autocannons look in CCP's trailers, but shooting EVERYWHERE).

Sort of like the BSG flak cannon thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Unfunny Poster posted:

Sort of like the BSG flak cannon thing?

I have no idea, having never watched BSG.

I just mean streams of tracers shooting at whatever is in range because streams of tracers look neat

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChickenWing posted:

I just mean streams of tracers shooting at whatever is in range because streams of tracers look neat

Basically, because I can't find a useful gif or video of it, there were flak cannons that the BSG would fire that would basically form a shell of explosions to hit the enemy fighters + missiles that got too close. This was while the human fighters and the BSG's nukes were being launched just outside the flak canon range to prevent friendly fire.

It was pretty neat and the SFX in the show made it look great.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 4, 2016

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Eonwe do you think i'd enjoy eve

Zethe
Jun 30, 2012

Stormgale posted:

Does anyone

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Stormgale posted:

yeah, sure why not?

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

the issue with autonomous weapons is how does it define what to shoot down? anything aimed at your fleet? corp? alliance? standings list?

moot point. bombs are entirely untargeted.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

scandoslav posted:

im p sure i have been the target of at least 2 bombs this week

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

ChickenWing posted:

I think this is BSG? I'm not sure, I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

that would definitely be BSG

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

scandoslav posted:

not moot you goofus, the implication i was working off of would be "how would defender missiles work if they didnt just shoot down poo poo aimed at you" and expanding that to point defense because i mean, bombs already exist

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Other Barry posted:

Yeah that's BSG. All those little explosions near that ship are the flak cannons I was referring to.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
will the capital rework allow us to roll a hard six and if so will this functionality be limited to certain ships

RustySeabutter
Nov 11, 2000

Puncho!
op please add groon to op

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

not moot you goofus, the implication i was working off of would be "how would defender missiles work if they didnt just shoot down poo poo aimed at you" and expanding that to point defense because i mean, bombs already exist

I dunno, could the servers handle every ship checking the target status of every ship within range every tick?* Could they handle every ship checking for bombs within range every tick? It'd be hella neat to be able to track a bomb over a couple of ticks to see if it's headed in the direction of you or yours, but I don't think it's possible at fleet/battle scale.

Maybe the new AOE mechanics could make it work? :shrug:

*e: if they could do that it could make for some really neat logi indicators (things flashing on watchlists or w/e)

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 5, 2016

Denis
Apr 8, 2015

morning EU guys.

other thread 500 messages, too much :effort:

I heard PL offered CO2 protection after war, why would you do that :'( ?

Denis fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 5, 2016

Alunan
May 27, 2008

Denis posted:

morning EU guys.

Did they? Maybe because CO2 knows it's going to be skullfucked soon.

Denis
Apr 8, 2015

The stuff i heard indicates that ye PL promised them that, no idea why tho. And everyone is already making bids on your space, sharing moons and so on.

Which is odd, only way all their "plans" would be possible if everyone remain as it is now in a 50k coalition, which i find hard to believe.

edit: Where is DOTA2 thread, I'm bad and i cant find it :|

Denis fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Apr 5, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Denis posted:

morning EU guys.

I didn't hear about that at all in any way. It could happen but I don't see why we would want to do that personally.

Denis posted:

edit: Where is DOTA2 thread, I'm bad and i cant find it :|

Mods shut it down for the second time in a month thanks to idiots making GBS threads it up.

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

]

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Other Barry posted:

that's hot

scandoslav posted:

I dunno, could the servers handle every ship checking the target status of every ship within range every tick?* Could they handle every ship checking for bombs within range every tick? It'd be hella neat to be able to track a bomb over a couple of ticks to see if it's headed in the direction of you or yours, but I don't think it's possible at fleet/battle scale.

Maybe the new AOE mechanics could make it work? :shrug:

*e: if they could do that it could make for some really neat logi indicators (things flashing on watchlists or w/e)

the server technically already tracks this, it'd be a fairly trivial addition. Firewalls already pretty much accomplish the same thing, just at a smaller scale.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Unfunny Poster posted:

Mods shut it down for the second time in a month thanks to idiots making GBS threads it up.

It got moved to chat forum, under byob

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It got moved to chat forum, under byob

I honestly wouldn't have known that were it not for you.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
yeahhhh it basically got put out to pasture but some dude made a qcs thread about it so they ungassed it and gave it a fate worse than death

the thread is a big hassle to the mods (partially because they're allow it to get out of hand before doing anything) so its understandable they dont want to deal with it since none of them play it unlike zooloo

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
Sup other thread what's going on over here

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

they dont want to deal with it since none of them play it unlike zooloo

thats why I was offered mod of MMO HMO basically, which is completely fair

its hard to want to read through terrible threads that you don't care about to figure out if someone actually broke the rules or not

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Eonwe posted:

thats why I was offered mod of MMO HMO basically, which is completely fair

its hard to want to read through terrible threads that you don't care about to figure out if someone actually broke the rules or not

i directly know the feeling, and I only had to deal with a few thousand potentially active users on goonfleet dot com

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was a mod of the starbound forums for a while

:yikes:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Eonwe posted:

so was my friend sledra!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Eonwe posted:

You poor bastard

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Poor Eonwe :smith:

Syndic Thrass posted:

Sup other thread what's going on over here

Not much. Apparently there's a Goon Discord server that's basically the chat rooms for all these games for people to organize into that Kimsemus and some other guys set up. It's pretty sweet.

Also my vid explaining the EVE war atm broke 100k views which is pretty neat. Still sort of odd I ended up on Kotaku over it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

so was my friend sledra!

Sledra and I are friends! Sledra, Braww, and I all modded at the same exact time

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yea, just imagine if every other report was that someone disagreed with them or something equally dumb, and thats what modding that forum was like

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I closed a lot of reports with 'who cares'

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Eonwe posted:

moderation we can believe in

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Eonwe posted:

i did similar, until people finally listened and stopped reporting so much random garbage (i closed a bunch of vyst reports like that :laugh:)

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Unfunny Poster posted:

Poor Eonwe :smith:

Not much. Apparently there's a Goon Discord server that's basically the chat rooms for all these games for people to organize into that Kimsemus and some other guys set up. It's pretty sweet.

Also my vid explaining the EVE war atm broke 100k views which is pretty neat. Still sort of odd I ended up on Kotaku over it.

its also modded by an insane person who wants to sell TRUEGOON tshirts and who keeps messaging girls who play mmos in this other discord im in

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

i did similar, until people finally listened and stopped reporting so much random garbage (i closed a bunch of vyst reports like that :laugh:)

unfree deadtear from the shackles of moderation

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eonwe posted:

This is how SA mods should close threads.

The one report I ever made on GF.com was for someone calling someone else "friend of the family" and you mocked me for it :smith:

Blazing Zero posted:

its also modded by an insane person who wants to sell TRUEGOON tshirts and who keeps messaging girls who play mmos in this other discord im in

:staredog:

Who is doing that? That dude from the AO thread a while back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Unfunny Poster posted:

This is how SA mods should close threads.

The one report I ever made on GF.com was for someone calling someone else "friend of the family" and you mocked me for it :smith:

sounds like me, yes

• Locked thread