Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Seltzer posted:

I'm struggling to see what's "American" about names on jerseys. I think every sport I've watched at a high level has players with names on jerseys. I have some new sports channel that airs all types of awful stuff like Russian hockey and Chinese basketball and they have names on their jerseys. It's not an American thing... it's a common sense thing, especially when there are about 60 players on a pitch. Maybe names on Jerseys did start here but who cares, good ideas are meant to be adopted.

It's funny because AFL, out of all the weird sports and leagues I've watched, on the face of it seems the most "American" to me. The team names, hard hitting action, no promotion/relegation, the frequent display of stats all game etc.

I find that Australian sports broadcasting is very similar to the American style. Commentators are often given a lot more leeway (through access to the stats guy) to talk about why they think x team is winning or what y team can do to get back in the game, much more like pundits than simple commentators in sports like Soccer.

The Promotion/Relegation thing has more to with the fact that literally no-one else in the world plays ARE GAIME, and Collingwood successfully argued that football should be a full contact sport back in the early 1900s when those fucken pansies from places like Melbourne argued it should be a more gentlemanly affair.

Having said that, the relative lack of ad and game breaks and the complete lack of "I WENT TO <College>, GO <Mascot/Nickname>!" stuff would be totally foreign.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
There's literally a billion ad breaks on the friday/saturday night free to air games

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Well, in reality the lack of relegation has more to do with economics and population. We're a nation of people that only popped over 20 million a decade or so, and there are two large states in the north that have a different code of football. It's hard enough to find enough people to play, let alone watch and support, enough clubs to support a proper promotion/relegation system, and that's without even considering the extreme parochial nature of some of the lower and state leagues who would never agree to work with the AFL for long enough to form a functional system.

Having said that, the size of the league is getting a bit unwiedly and I having a feeling we are headed to a conference structure one day

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 5, 2016

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Schlesische posted:

Having said that, the relative lack of ad and game breaks

You mean the ad breaks after 99% of goals?

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Anyone who likes names on guernseys is the worst.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Not to forget the distance between, and how parochial the colonies were. The VFA teams would play the SANFL teams for Champion of Australasia. Which seems more 'conference' style like the NFL. Would have been very different national comp now had that been left to go.

You still have this per capita imbalance where Vic clubs do remarkably well considering.

Geelong also lead the charge toward physicality in a way by employing a German gymnast instructor as a coach back in the day and basically out muscled the rest of the comp.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Schlesische posted:

Case in point, 2013 AFL Grand Final between Hawthorn and Fremantle. Freo had to wear their away jersey because Purple clashes with Gold (see also: Yellow) and Brown some how.
:eng101: Freo actually were given the choice of guernseys because there wasn't a clash and they chose to go with the white one for whatever reason.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it was because they were told they had to wear the white shorts and chose the jumper to match.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-22/freo-to-wear-all-white

Sponsors logos have been a thing since the late 70s whereas the only US team sports I've seen sponsor logos on kits are MLS and the WNBA.

EDIT: Because NASCAR isn't a sport.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 5, 2016

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
A bunch of people in the media have said that Mumford should have been suspended for that tackle because Duncan got concussed. I'm glad the MRP cleared him, there wasn't much he could do, and I think that if he had tried to do something else there probably would have been a worse result for one of or both of them. People getting suspended because of incidental concussions would be very bad for the game.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Furthermore, it's good that Hodge got off light & easy for heroically pushing Wingard out of the way of the goal post

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
uh..

are you saying Mumford should have gotten weeks? I don't know what you're talking about

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Periphery posted:

Sick of the poo poo and need the time for other things.

Chose a good time to avoid. The entire place is in meltdown after one game.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Watching the tackle again from what I can see Mumford hits Duncan in the head with his arm/shoulder running at pretty much full speed, while Duncan is also travelling at a pretty good clip. I dunno if you can call it a tackle when Mumford doesn't even try to grab him.

Concussions are always going to happen unless footy becomes a non-contact sport, but given the scrutiny being placed on concussions now with evidence of brain damage in older players (and Justin Clarke) makes me think the AFL should be coming down much harder on contests that result in a concussion, especially ones that have the kind of force seen in the Mumford tackle.

edit: in regards to the Hodge comparison, Hodge laid an unnecessary bump on Wingard in quite a potentially dangerous situation, and I also just saw Hodgey on an ad for Lite & Easy

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Solemn Sloth posted:

At least the suns fan will be happy

I know I tease you guys about it because sports, but as a fan of perennial losers in other sports, I really want the Dees to do well. I'm happy with getting an early pick obviously if it works out that way, but after this year, I really hope they get their poo poo together.

Seltzer posted:

Alright so I've watched my second game which was the Crows vs Port Adelaide Power. I unfortunately was treated to another big blowout. I've got some more questions but I'll just ask a few now. Why didn't Port Adelaide wear their away jerseys? That poo poo was kind of frustrating to watch when the camera zoomed out as both jerseys were fairly dark. Also why don't they have the players names on the Jerseys? That's also really frustrating. There's like a 1,000 people on the pitch and I'm trying to figure out who certain people are to no avail. It doesn't help that when the players do get mentioned I sometimes have no idea what they're saying through the accent. The small aboriginal (?) forward for the crows was very good but I never got his name.

Yeah, no names bothered me a lot when I was first starting to watch. The way I got it under control was by keeping a tab open with each teams list that I could cross-reference when I could. If you see somebody stick out like Betts (yeah, he's aboriginal. One of the most prominent Aboriginal players in the game.) did for you, check their number and find out their name. Just google something like "Melbourne Demons list" and it'll bring up an easy tool to see who's who. But you don't have to memorize every player for every team. If you just make a mental note of a player or two that is standing out, you'll have a rough idea of the really good teams identities by the time the finals roll around. Although you'll obviously want to know a little bit more about your own team. And you'll get used to the commentators. I'm American and it came pretty naturally to me, although I definitely had my moments of frustration. It just takes a year or two to really get your bearings. Stick it out and you'll be fine. The game is still a lot of fun to watch even if you don't know everything that's going on, provided it's not a blowout of course.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 5, 2016

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The worst commentators also just use stupid rear end nicknames for people which makes things a lot worse

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

redweird posted:

Watching the tackle again from what I can see Mumford hits Duncan in the head with his arm/shoulder running at pretty much full speed, while Duncan is also travelling at a pretty good clip. I dunno if you can call it a tackle when Mumford doesn't even try to grab him.

Concussions are always going to happen unless footy becomes a non-contact sport, but given the scrutiny being placed on concussions now with evidence of brain damage in older players (and Justin Clarke) makes me think the AFL should be coming down much harder on contests that result in a concussion, especially ones that have the kind of force seen in the Mumford tackle.

edit: in regards to the Hodge comparison, Hodge laid an unnecessary bump on Wingard in quite a potentially dangerous situation, and I also just saw Hodgey on an ad for Lite & Easy

This is nothing like the Hodge incident.

What should Mumford have done differently to avoid hurting him? If he tries to turn to pull out he would have probably ended up bumping him and doing a lot more damage. And I don't know where you get the grabbing bit, he grabbed him.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

realbez posted:

This is nothing like the Hodge incident.

What should Mumford have done differently to avoid hurting him? If he tries to turn to pull out he would have probably ended up bumping him and doing a lot more damage. And I don't know where you get the grabbing bit, he grabbed him.

He takes him high and hits him in the head with his chest, arms above Duncan's shoulders. Looks like his knee gets in there as well. Considering Duncan has his arms up with the ball I think that it's pretty reckless and it ended up with Duncan knocked unconscious from the impact, not from hitting the ground. Mumford might have done the best possible thing in that situation but it still resulted in Duncan doing the fencing response.

edit: What I'm saying I guess is that letting Mumford off seems at odds with the AFL taking a tougher stance on concussion injuries.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
So basically he should be punished for being in a specific space time

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Hodge nearly shirt-fronted my Dad on Sunday in the members before the game, the Hawks scarf is probably what saved him.

Spedman fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 5, 2016

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
If he did the best possible thing, then it isn't reckless and I can't see why anyone would want him suspended.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I think it would've been theoretically possible for Mumford to not hit him in the head. Which is what he did. He hit the guy in the head.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

cmndstab posted:

There is literally no good argument for there not being names on the guernseys. It should have happened years ago.

It takes up space that could be used to earn sponsorship money. :colbert:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Seltzer posted:

Alright so I've watched my second game which was the Crows vs Port Adelaide Power. I unfortunately was treated to another big blowout.

That was just bad lack; nobody was expecting a blow out, and it's typically a tough contest no matter what form either club has going in. What happened to Port on the weekend has to be taken as a sign of bigger and deeper issues than anyone suspected they had.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
By that argument, Riewoldt should have been suspended for concussing Brodie Smith last season.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Largepotato posted:

By that argument, Riewoldt should have been suspended for concussing Brodie Smith last season.

So he should have too, one of the most idiotic tackle attempts I've ever seen, it ruined Smithers for the rest of the season :argh:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Brent Staker should've got months for hurting Barry Hall's knuckles.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Yo nerds, vote Tom Hawkins for goal of the round. That poo poo was tight yo

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Where do we vote

EDIT: OK I did it I voted for Tom Hawkins because that was tight.

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 5, 2016

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
I condone suspending Mumford because he hurt my beautiful football boy Mitch Duncan

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

From a merchandising point of view, names on guernseys make sense.

From a broadcast perspective, it's absolutely pointless.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

And you certainly won't be able to see them from the other side of the ground.

I mean it'll probably happen as a thing to shift units, but from a functional perspective, nah. Especially when any footy mad kid will remember the numbers anyway.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Exactly. In every other sport I watch where they have nameplates, I still have to learn each player's number because you can't read the loving things unless it's a close up or you're at ground level at the stadium/arena, whereas the typeset of the numbers is 5x as large. Even then, footy guernseys only have the numbers on the backs as well. There's no front number or shoulder numbers.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Frogmanv2 posted:

You mean the ad breaks after 99% of goals?

The number of ad breaks in a game of AFL (20 goals a game, 100 minutes in a game, an ad break every 5 minutes or so) does not quite stack up with the NFL's ad breaks (20 mandated ad breaks over 60 minutes, or an ad every 3 minutes or so).

The numbers aren't infallible, and there are a stupid number of ads in the AFL, but it's not as silly as the NFL (The NHL is super weird with it's ad breaks - they seem to be during some breaks in play, but sometimes the play can drag on for a bit and imho it feels like they pile more ads on to make up the difference, I don't watch enough NBA or MLB to know any of either of those).

redweird posted:

Furthermore, it's good that Hodge got off light & easy for heroically pushing Wingard out of the way of the goal post

See I'm glad more non-Hawthorn fans are finally starting to get this.

Diet Crack posted:

From a merchandising point of view, names on guernseys make sense.

From a broadcast perspective, it's absolutely pointless.

It's not absolutely pointless, but it helps the casual fan a significant amount more than any other kind of fan.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 5, 2016

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Schlesische posted:

It's not absolutely pointless, but it helps the casual fan a significant amount more than any other kind of fan.

It really doesn't. Think about the camera perspective in a footy match: It's side on. The only time you'll ever see the name plate is when someone is kicking for goal and their back is to the cameras. Live and in person is a bit different, but I doubt you're going to meet anyone who can read those from the 3rd tier of the MCG.

e: I understand what you mean and I'm not trying to argue against you per se. I don't really care if they put names on the guernseys at all, but from the point of giving people an opportunity to learn the names of players - I don't see it being any more beneficial than having numbers, considering you can't have name plates with text as large as the already legible numbers.

e2: Won't someone think of the people who make the programs and sell them?!!!

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 5, 2016

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
That's just not true, though. The camera often zooms in on players. You get lots of replays where it becomes possible to see.

If you're a casual fan and you think "gee, that number 18 is having a hell of a match" you're probably not going to go and look him up. But if you then see a replay and his name comes into view, it'll help you to remember it.

It's not hard to come up with plenty of scenarios where it's helpful, and there is no argument that can be made that it detracts in any way from the spectacle. The additional cost of actually producing the guernseys is negligible, and they offer a big marketing opportunity for the clubs.

I can't comprehend why anyone would oppose it. Maybe those fans who own #32 guernseys for the Crows who now want to pretend it was bought for Troy Menzel might have cause for complaint, but that's about it.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

Seltzer posted:

I'm struggling to see what's "American" about names on jerseys... all types of awful stuff like Russian hockey and Chinese basketball have names on their jerseys. It's not an American thing...

But... erm... Those are two American sports there, champ.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
I certainly would start to learn and know more about opposition players. I know a large amount of names but I would be hosed If I could put 2/3rds of their faces to the names.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Like I said I'm not in any opposition to it as I really don't give a poo poo if they do it or not. I just don't see it being beneficial in any way in the broadcasting environment, because you already have graphics coming up telling you the name of the player in the instances where you'll actually see the name plate to begin with. In general play you're not going to be able to see those name plates with guys running around in odd directions, getting tackled and all that jazz.

To me it's more beneficial for supporters who want a guernsey with the players name on it and for the club to merchandise more guernseys. Which is all fine by me at the end of the day because it makes the clubs and associated groups more money to develop footy.

tldr: Who actually cares if it goes ahead or not?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Diet Crack posted:

Exactly. In every other sport I watch where they have nameplates, I still have to learn each player's number because you can't read the loving things unless it's a close up or you're at ground level at the stadium/arena, whereas the typeset of the numbers is 5x as large. Even then, footy guernseys only have the numbers on the backs as well. There's no front number or shoulder numbers.
I'd actually be down with a small number on the front of the shorts, maybe not on the shoulder WAFL style, just for recognition for the unfamiliar players where I still have to go "who's that guy" and look at an app or the Record. I wouldn't go further than that since there's enough clutter on the things already,

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Diet Crack posted:

tldr: Who actually cares if it goes ahead or not?

Me, I hope it does, there's evidence in this very thread of a casual fan watching a match and having no idea who is who, and there is sure as hell enough zoom ins to get a decent look at the names if they are on their backs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Everyone has a smart phone, players names are a very quick google away

• Locked thread