Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

There was a brief period in which his former sidekick joined the Teen Titans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Kid Devil was great like, one time in Blue Beetle.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

It's proof that tridents are awesome and any hero who uses them are awesome too.
Speaking of which, whatever happened to Blue Devil pre nu-52? Also did he ever appear in the nu-52?

Yep. Four issues of DC Presents.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
I just stumbled across this comic page, and I really want to know where it is from.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
That is the last page of Doom Patrol (vol 2) #46 by Grant Morrison and Richard Case.

You should read Morrison and Case's Doom Patrol.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Heavy Sigh posted:

I just stumbled across this comic page, and I really want to know where it is from.

Two things that got callbacks in Multiversity. I guess it's not surprising.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Who is Batman's soulmate? Catwoman, Talia, or joker?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Canemacar posted:

I like him with Catwoman myself.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Canemacar posted:

Alfred.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Canemacar posted:

Who is Batman's soulmate?

Read Batman: Zero Year till the end of Snyder's run :cry:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Canemacar posted:

Who is Batman's soulmate?
Lady Justice

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 5, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I am fairly sure his soulmate was his physical therapist who made herself retarded to cure him that he immediately forgot about.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I am fairly sure his soulmate was his physical therapist who made herself retarded to cure him that he immediately forgot about.

Never heard of this and it sounds amazing.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Ultragonk posted:

Never heard of this and it sounds amazing.

It was in the aftermath of the Knightfall backsnap. Dr. Shondra Kinsolving had psychic healing powers and a half-brother whose psychic powers could somehow combine with hers to kill a fuckton of people. Brother Benedict kidnapped Dr. Kinsolving and her paralysed patient/boyfriend, Bruce Wayne. While Dr. Kinsolving did ultimately use her powers to heal Bruce's back, it's not what caused her mental break. The trauma of being forced into mass murder by her brother caused her mind to regress to childhood.

She reappeared briefly during Hush for Bruce's surgery, having apparently made a full off-screen recovery because reasons*. Despite having had time to get back into the medical field, I guess she hadn't bothered to let Bruce know she was healed. Likewise, for some reason*, they still needed Thomas Elliot to perform surgery despite having a psychic healer who can mend severed spines in the room. After her brief reappearance, she was never heard from nor mentioned again.

*lovely writing

haitfais fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 9, 2016

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Chaos Hippy posted:

It was in the aftermath of the Knightfall backsnap. Dr. Shondra Kinsolving had psychic healing powers and a half-brother whose psychic powers could somehow combine with hers to kill a fuckton of people. Brother Benedict kidnapped Dr. Kinsolving and her paralysed patient/boyfriend, Bruce Wayne. While Dr. Kinsolving did ultimately use her powers to heal Bruce's back, it's not what caused her mental break. The trauma of being forced into mass murder by her brother caused her mind to regress to childhood.

She reappeared briefly during Hush for Bruce's surgery, having apparently made a full off-screen recovery because reasons*. Despite having had time to get back into the medical field, I guess she hadn't bothered to let Bruce know she was healed. Likewise, for some reason*, they still needed Thomas Elliot to perform surgery despite having a psychic healer who can mend severed spines in the room. After her brief reappearance, she was never heard from nor mentioned again.

*lovely writing

It is as magical and lovely as I had hoped.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Has The Kingpin ever had a space adventure?

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Is there a way to figure out who holds film rights to some of the more esoteric Marvel characters, or is that negotiated between studios as the situation arises? The latest terrible Fantastic Four got me thinking on who owned film rights to Ego the Living Planet.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
I suspect Marvel holds the rights to Ego since he first debuted in Thor and is not typically considered a core Fantastic Four villain.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Am I misremembering some rumor, or is Ego supposed to be in the next Guardians of the Galaxy?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kellsterik posted:

Am I misremembering some rumor, or is Ego supposed to be in the next Guardians of the Galaxy?

Gunn has alluded to it on Twitter and Facebook.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Alris posted:

Is there a way to figure out who holds film rights to some of the more esoteric Marvel characters, or is that negotiated between studios as the situation arises? The latest terrible Fantastic Four got me thinking on who owned film rights to Ego the Living Planet.

I gave up trying to figure it out when I discovered that Kang belongs with the Fantastic Four characters on Fox, on the basis that "technically Ramma Tut appeared in a FF comic first and it was later retconned that this was an alter ego of Kang." But Ronan the Accuser and the Kree (who first showed up in FF comics) were fine for Marvel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Question IRL posted:

I gave up trying to figure it out when I discovered that Kang belongs with the Fantastic Four characters on Fox, on the basis that "technically Ramma Tut appeared in a FF comic first and it was later retconned that this was an alter ego of Kang." But Ronan the Accuser and the Kree (who first showed up in FF comics) were fine for Marvel.

Does Fox own Kang though? I'm trying to find the rumor article where Marvel tried to trade extended rights for DD and GR to Fox in exchange for some F4 baddies.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Does Fox own Kang though? I'm trying to find the rumor article where Marvel tried to trade extended rights for DD and GR to Fox in exchange for some F4 baddies.

James Gunn said that Fox has Kang. We don't know the reasoning for it. I assume that Simonson's run, with the Council of Crosstime Kangs, is responsible; when Marvel was fireselling film rights to stay afloat, they probably wanted to make sure the pieces of every major storyline were included in the package. It's not like they were planning on making movies themselves at the time, so packing the license could only hurt their ability to license other related properties. So no Hulk, Ghost Rider, Wolverine, and Spider-Man with the FF license—they could all be licensed out elsewhere.

Kang, though, is mostly associated with the Avengers. Marvel can't have imagined ever licensing the film rights to the Avengers, since the licensee would need to either also license a boatload of premiere individual characters as well, or have a film team with like Triathlon, Dr. Druid, Mantis, and Starfox. Taking Avengers villains and sticking them in the FF license must have seemed like a great idea at the time.

Now, welp, that's hindsight...!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You're missing the simple explanation. Kang is part of the Doom/Richards family tree. That's why he's with the Fantastic Four. He's a Fantastic Four and Avengers villain and even though he's one of the bigger Avengers villains he has more ties to the Fantastic Four.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Yeah, I figure the explanation starts and stops at "his last name is Richards".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd quite enjoy it if they tried to use Immortus, then Fox mounts a legal challenge to stop them, and we all get to read court transcripts with Marvel's counsel introducing the panels at the end of Avengers Forever #12 where Kang and Immortus are split into two people as evidence.

It would be at least as entertaining as the Gaiman v McFarlane one where the judge snarks about Angela's costume then proposes her own ideas for different versions of Spawn.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Does Gaiman own all/part of any more McFarlane-related characters? I know there was a Spawn and a hobo that were in contention, but don't know how that all sorted out, or if there were any other properties involved.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He was given co-creator rights to Cogliostro and Medieval Spawn. He then later got full rights to Angela, so there must have been some kind of exchange or agreement reached there, but it's never been publicized.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He traded his co-ownerships for full rights to Angela then sold her to Marvel so that McFarlane wouldn't bother him again.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I hope this is the right place.

I was recently recommended Thor, God of Thunder by Jason Aaron as a good run to read. I have heard that there is another essential Thor run by a guy named Walt Simonson, I think, and i was wondering if anyone could tell me what issues those were.

And I guess if you could point out where a complete newbie to comicdom could find that information for myself that would be cool too lol

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
Thor #337-355, #357-369, #371-382; Balder the Brave #1-4

those make up the omnibus and that's what I read, it's fantastic, there is a crossover with xmen in there I believe

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's #337-382.
His page on Wikipedia has a biography at the bottom.

Comicvine has a good database http://comicvine.gamespot.com/walter-simonson/4040-7943/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 15, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

I was recently recommended Thor, God of Thunder by Jason Aaron as a good run to read. I have heard that there is another essential Thor run by a guy named Walt Simonson

Simonson's Thor is one of the best runs in comics ever.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

What's your preferred format? If it's single issues, #337-382, released in the mid-'80s. If you prefer hardcovers, trade paperbacks, oversized hardcovers, various special editions with production notes and uncolored pencil drawings and all that jazz, or digital comics, then you should also let us know that and someone could link you directly to Amazon or Comixology listings that suit your needs.

Your best bet for finding answers like that is just asking, although comics.org and comicbookdb.com can also bombard you with all the information you need.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

I was recently recommended Thor, God of Thunder by Jason Aaron as a good run to read. I have heard that there is another essential Thor run by a guy named Walt Simonson, I think, and i was wondering if anyone could tell me what issues those were.

And I guess if you could point out where a complete newbie to comicdom could find that information for myself that would be cool too lol

Most of the major writers and artists have fairly complete bibliographies on their Wikipedia pages. For Simonson you want when he started writing it, which is #337. He also drew it for a bit about 50 issues earlier, but I haven't read that so no idea on the quality.

If it's been collected in trade the Amazon description will usually also say what issues are in the collection.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sounds like the person that recommended you God of Thunder is a handsome genius with impeccable taste in comics and probably everything really.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Awesome thanks guys.

Squizzle posted:

What's your preferred format? If it's single issues, #337-382, released in the mid-'80s. If you prefer hardcovers, trade paperbacks, oversized hardcovers, various special editions with production notes and uncolored pencil drawings and all that jazz, or digital comics, then you should also let us know that and someone could link you directly to Amazon or Comixology listings that suit your needs.

Your best bet for finding answers like that is just asking, although comics.org and comicbookdb.com can also bombard you with all the information you need.

Oh yeah, good idea I'll keep that in mind.

zoux posted:

Sounds like the person that recommended you God of Thunder is a handsome genius with impeccable taste in comics and probably everything really.

They didn't recommend the Simonson run so obviously they aren't that great.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
After you've gotten through Simonson's Thor run, pick up Ragnarok. It's 8 issues in, and is both written and drawn by Simonson. It's basically the non-Marvel version of his Thor run, and is every bit as awesome as the stuff he did in the 70s and 80s. Simonson cannot be stopped.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Have there been any good John Stewart books since Dwayne McDuffie passed that are worth reading?

As a kid he was the only black superhero I really saw on cartoons and I just finished JLU again and got some good nostalgia going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Koalas March posted:

Have there been any good John Stewart books since Dwayne McDuffie passed that are worth reading?

As a kid he was the only black superhero I really saw on cartoons and I just finished JLU again and got some good nostalgia going.

I don't know about recent stuff but Green Lantern Mosaic is amazing and really worth checking out if you want great John Stewart stuff.