Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

Let's say I'm writing "He coordinated 400 shipments and two training programs."

Would it read better if I standardized the format of the numbers? Like 400 shipments and 2 training programs in place of what I currently have -- even though my usual practice is to spell out numbers below a hundred.

There is no hard and fast rule for this. Most style guides say to spell out numbers below ten, but it's not technically wrong to do it like you do above, and you're right that it looks better.

EDIT: To be more precise, most style guides say you should spell out AT LEAST numbers ten and below; I've always heard twenty (and feel that that is probably the sweet spot, if ten isn't), but there is apparently widespread disagreement as to where, exactly spelling then put should begin.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Vegetable posted:

Would it read better if I standardized the format of the numbers? Like 400 shipments and 2 training programs in place of what I currently have -- even though my usual practice is to spell out numbers below a hundred.

That is fine — my usual rule is to spell out anything below 100 — but if you wanted them to match, I'd probably write out four-hundred instead of putting both in numerals. But that's mostly because it's a nice, round number. If it was 427 I would leave them mixed as in the original. But that is because the numeral stands out, and using a specific number like that, presumably it is intended to stand out. I don't think you intend for the four-hundred shipments to be more significantly more noteworthy than the two training programs, sentence order aside.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Vegetable posted:

You should use words for numbers one through nine, and numerals for higher numbers, but don't mix numerals and number words within the same sentence. if one of the numbers is 10 or higher, use numerals for all the numbers in that sentence. The exception to this is when you have two numbers that are right next to each other, in which case you should mix numerals and words if possible to make it easier to read. If a sentence begins with a number, it should be written out as a word unless it is awkwardly long and then you should rewrite the sentence in a way that rearranges the number to later in the sentence.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Thanatosian posted:

This is really loving stupid advice. All it does is tell them that your phone number is live and good, so they sell it to other people.

Two things: They know the number is good by the fact that it rings at all. Whether you answer or not is totally irrelevant. And they don't give a poo poo. They have the computer just dial numbers from a list until someone answers and making sure there's only active numbers in there would be more effort than it's worth. Telling them to stop calling you probably won't work if they're scammers, but it definitely will work if they're legitimate telemarketers or charity collectors or market research or whatever, and even if they're not legit it costs you essentially nothing to ask anyway.

Oh, and if you do answer and it is a human, make an effort to be pleasant and polite to them. You'll be less irritated, the poor person with a lovely job has a slightly less lovely time, and if you asked them to not call again then they're less likely to "forget" to add your number to their don't-call list. Everyone wins.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I can't stop laughing at the goofy wind instrument background music for this video, does anyone know what it's called? the name of the song is? (sorry, that was unclear of me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4wZHMQyp6E

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 4, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ciaphas posted:

I can't stop laughing at the goofy wind instrument background music for this video, does anyone know what it's called?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4wZHMQyp6E

it's a trumpet and trombone playing together in unison octaves, they're playing sloppy on purpose to get that effect

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sorry, I was unclear, I meant the name of the song, my bad.

(glad I was at least right about them being wind instruments though. for some reason i mistake winds and certain strings for each other a lot)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Welp, my dad's bad computer habits finally caught up with him and he got a virus. I told him time and time again not to just google 'free whatever' if he wanted to do something and download the first program that seemed right, but I think this time it'll stick, and he'll ask me for advice first.

So, he's looking for a free and not to difficult to use program to record audio on the computer and turn it into mp3s. Things like youtube songs (he's into really old and obscure music from the 30s and stuff) or radio programmes. Preferably something that can do simple editing like cutting out silences and stuff as well. Any recommendations?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Audacity, almost certainly.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

hooah posted:

Audacity, almost certainly.

Of course, I've heard it mentioned so often by friends but since I don't do any editing it never crossed my mind, thanks!

He immediately hits me with a follow-up: He needs to be able to scan printed documents and convert them to text. He tells me Word and OpenOffice aren't capable of doing this, and he previously used something called ABBYY Finereader OCR, which doesn't work since he upgraded to Windows 10. Anyone got a solution?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Taeke posted:

Of course, I've heard it mentioned so often by friends but since I don't do any editing it never crossed my mind, thanks!

He immediately hits me with a follow-up: He needs to be able to scan printed documents and convert them to text. He tells me Word and OpenOffice aren't capable of doing this, and he previously used something called ABBYY Finereader OCR, which doesn't work since he upgraded to Windows 10. Anyone got a solution?

Isn't this something Google Docs can do now?

Also think about Evernote though you have to pay at some point.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Taeke posted:

Any OCR program will do this, with varying degrees of success. I usually push hard for people to just invest in Adobe Acrobat and save themselves many hours of frustration forever.

gently caress changing them into word docs though. You'll never get a good result out of that and it's faster to just copy/paste stuff from an OCR'd pdf.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Thanks all, I'll pass on the information.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Another note about Audacity, you have to install a plugin called LAME in order to export MP3s directly.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hooah posted:

You do realize that a lot of unsolicited calls people get nowadays are in fact scammers and not legitimate business that will abide by any rules at all, right?

Congrats on missing the entire point of the post.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This morning I received a voice mail from my mom for a call she supposedly made yesterday. I got the notification at about 8am or so this morning (April 4), but the message was dated for April 3 at about 6pm. My phone didn't ring at all yesterday and I have no record of her call in my phone app's history. What happened here? Just the cell service took a poo poo for a few hours?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Booger Presley posted:

Lethal Weapon? Mellow Danny Glover being teamed up with psycho Mel Gibson.

504 posted:

Loaded weapon 1

Nevermind, I figured it out, it was Falling Down.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Mak0rz posted:

This morning I received a voice mail from my mom for a call she supposedly made yesterday. I got the notification at about 8am or so this morning (April 4), but the message was dated for April 3 at about 6pm. My phone didn't ring at all yesterday and I have no record of her call in my phone app's history. What happened here? Just the cell service took a poo poo for a few hours?

This happens to me pretty often on an iPhone with ATT. Usually just a few minutes after the call was made but I've had it be over an hour before. I'm not sure what the reason is.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What are the names of the sort of adverts/popups that appear within the same webpage, but above the content? A couple of examples are pages that ask you to like them on facebook, or others where, when you move your cursor out of the page area (to the tab bar, for example), it creates an advert over the page content 'before you go...'.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Anjow posted:

What are the names of the sort of adverts/popups that appear within the same webpage, but above the content? A couple of examples are pages that ask you to like them on facebook, or others where, when you move your cursor out of the page area (to the tab bar, for example), it creates an advert over the page content 'before you go...'.

Lightbox?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Vegetable posted:

As someone else noted, it will depend on your style manual. For US legal writing:

1) Spell out zero to ninety-nine in words and use numerals for anything larger;
2) Always spell out a number beginning a sentence;
3) One hundred, five thousand, and anything similarly round can be spelled out if you are consistent about it;
4) If there a mix of numbers 100 or greater and less than 100, like your example, standardize on numbers;
5) Use numbers if you have a decimal point;
6) Use numbers if repeatedly referring to the same percentages or dollar amounts;
7) Use numbers for section references; and
8) Use commas to divide any number that is five digits or more into groups of three digits, but not to divide any number that is four digits or less.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Anjow posted:

I don't know if they have an actual term for them, but I tend to call them gatekeeper ads since they basically stop you entering/leaving the page you actually want.

ulmont posted:

3) One hundred, five thousand, and anything similarly round can be spelled out if you are consistent about it;

I would've gone with this personally: four hundred shipments, two training programs. I'm aware your next line disagrees, though.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

ulmont posted:

8) Use commas to divide any number that is five digits or more into groups of three digits, but not to divide any number that is four digits or less.

Eight thousand years from now, people will be having arguments about whether or not to put a comma to group digits within a date.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

flowinprose posted:

Eight thousand years from now, people will be having arguments about whether or not to put a comma to group digits within a date.

But it's already 12016? :confused:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Is there a better answer for "What is an Economically liberal Socially conservative person" than "Nazi"? Bonus points for a living active political party in the US.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Republican Party.

That's literally their whole schtick. The whole thing about 'economically conservative' is full of poo poo since the Reagan years. I guess you can specify Goldwater Republican? Wait never mind was thinking other way around.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Speaking of calendar systems, why does AD stand for Latin words ("anno Domini") but BC stands for English words ("before Christ")? Why did one get translated and not the other?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Speaking of calendar systems, why does AD stand for Latin words ("anno Domini") but BC stands for English words ("before Christ")? Why did one get translated and not the other?

Originally, they were both Latin:

"SMH.com.au posted:

Why do we use the Latin AD (anno Domini), but the English BC (before Christ). What do non-English speaking countries call BC?

AD is an abbreviation of anno Domini Nostri Jesu Christi, Latin for "in the year of our Lord Jesus Christ". The era we now call BC used to be known as "a.C.n.", an abbreviation of "Ante Christum Natum", which is Latin for "before the birth of Christ".

Why the terminology changed from Latin to English is a matter of speculation. In non-English speaking countries, they tended to use the local language: in French, "avant J.C." (before Jesus Christ); in German, "v. Chr. Geb.", an abbreviation of "vor Christi Geburt" (before Christ's birth).

Or in short: ACN/AD was replaced with BC/AD.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anjow posted:

Popover or overlay ads.

The kind that won't let you see the content without an action are called content lockers generally.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

What is a flask for, besides sneaking alcohol into places where you're not meant to be drinking it? Is there actually any socially acceptable use, or is it all alcoholics trying to be debonair and people who don't want to buy drinks at the bar?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Van Dis fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 17, 2020

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hyperlynx posted:

What is a flask for, besides sneaking alcohol into places where you're not meant to be drinking it? Is there actually any socially acceptable use, or is it all alcoholics trying to be debonair and people who don't want to buy drinks at the bar?

It's a durable container for non carbonated booze that doesn't need a cup to drink out of. It's fine to use them anywhere else you'd need a durable container or where it's inconvenient to have to pour booze into a cup somehow. Basically any outdoor activity is fine, and you're not necessarily an alcoholic.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Why not just bring the bottle the booze came in, though?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hyperlynx posted:

It often can't be resealed, or is too unwieldy compared to the much smaller flask.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hyperlynx posted:

Flasks are usually metal. If they get damaged they still probably hold liquid. If a glass bottle gets damaged it just loving explodes.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

tuyop posted:

Flasks are usually metal. If they get damaged they still probably hold liquid. If a glass bottle gets damaged it just loving explodes.

They're also a lot lighter than a big ol' glass bottle.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

That makes sense.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

tuyop posted:

A lot of places (pools, beaches, etc) will ban glass containers for that reason but allow metal or plastic ones. I have never seen someone use a flask in such a place, but it's possible.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I've been using an ad blocker for 10 years or so. Recently, I've seen more and more websites try and ply my sensitive side by replacing the blank spots of the ads I'm blocking with their own personal sob stories of how much they need the ad dollars I'm depriving them of. I don't necessarily disagree with them, but turning off my ad blocker is unbearable, and white listing sites one by one seems torturously slow. Is there some kind of nerd-approved whitelist of sites that are not obnoxious that I can approve as a group, so I can provide an income stream to the rule-following part of the internet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

photomikey posted:

I've been using an ad blocker for 10 years or so. Recently, I've seen more and more websites try and ply my sensitive side by replacing the blank spots of the ads I'm blocking with their own personal sob stories of how much they need the ad dollars I'm depriving them of. I don't necessarily disagree with them, but turning off my ad blocker is unbearable, and white listing sites one by one seems torturously slow. Is there some kind of nerd-approved whitelist of sites that are not obnoxious that I can approve as a group, so I can provide an income stream to the rule-following part of the internet?

Adblock Plus does this by default. If someone jumps through some hoops for them and promises not to deploy really lovely ads, they'll allow their ads through. Unsurprisingly, many nerds got up in arms about this and have forked it.