Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
Along with everything else that is obviously wrong with the shootsploitation movie linked above, it forwards the inaccurate narrative that the Columbine shooters were poor, victimized targets of bullying. In fact, they were psychopathic bullies themselves. And the whole "girl gets shot after saying she believes in God" bit never happened, either.

One must really stand in awe of how readily we can appropriate any tragedy as a piece of backstory to whatever narrative we prefer. To wit:

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

As a 2-minute summation of what's wrong with this fairy tale:

- yes, the US sent Naval forces to depose the ruler of Tripoli for demanding tribute... and to then install his deposed brother who would presumably treat us better.
- yes the US sent some Marines out to fight, but it was like literally 8 Marine officers, and they hired several hundred mercenaries in Egypt and hiked across the desert to Tripoli's territory. Said mercenaries were also more than half Muslim, the rest Greek mostly.
- despite the song, they never got as far as Tripoli, they got into a battle at the town of Derne, managed to win, and before they could march onward they got the news that the Tripoli pasha had conceded to US demands in exchange for being left in power. So hooray and return to base.

It is actually a cool story, a classic ripping yarn, but by no means some grim and apocryphal war of civilizations. Plus it's pretty absurd to be all "abloobloobloo Muslims didn't respect other nations sovereignties" during this time period where Europeans were happily sauntering around most of the globe overthrowing brown-people governments. Not taking any moral stance, just noting that what Tripoli was doing wasn't particularly unusual by standards of the time, it's not like the Brits wouldn't have gone apeshit if a ship from the Chinese Empire or some African kingdom had just sauntered up the Channel minding its own business.

Yes. What I've noticed about the Fox News demo is that they never talked obsessively about how We've Always Been At War With Oceania before. My guess: 9/11 shattered the worldviews of a generation or three who grew up with America as the dominant superpower in the world; the collapse of the USSR served to confirm our status as the victorious protagonist on the world stage. But then, some unknown organization from a country nobody could point to on a map comes along-- (how many can find it even now?) It isn't just that we were attacked that shook us up. (War of 1812 and Pearl Harbor set the precedent- there was room in the narrative for an Act I Inciting Incident.) But those incidents involved a.) Britain at the hight of their power and b.) Imperial Japan, the most feared superpower in the Pacific at the time. All of America's enemies are powerful, nobody less dares mess with us. But now suddenly we need to start familiarizing ourselves with weird Arabic names (al-kay-what??) AND open ourselves to the worldview that there are huge parts of the world where White and Christian means nothing.

So, in order to revise their understanding of the world to allow for this, they need to reinterpret every major event in American history such that the hated Muslims have always been our archnemesis, causing endless damage even to the great powers of centuries past. That way, 9/11 isn't a surprise attack out of the blue, it becomes the logical boiling over point in an ongoing battle between us and the bad guys who've been dogging us since day 1. Ergo, 18th century barbary pirates and modern IS fighters are indistinguishable iterations of the same entity.

Lemma fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lemma posted:

That way, 9/11 isn't a surprise attack out of the blue, it becomes the logical boiling over point in an ongoing battle between us and the bad guys who've been dogging us since day 1.

Doesn't that mean that ARE (intelligence) TROOPS shouldn't have been so surprised by the attack and ill-prepared to prosecute the war against the responsible parties? That doesn't sound very patriotic, son.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Cue a long-running string of similar dumbassery, neighbors calling CPS, undiagnosed learning disorders, and five kids because she and her husband refuse to use birth control. I just want to shake her and say "you have a drat M.A. and are clearly brilliant, and you had a grand old time running around playing Masquerade and getting gangbanged by goth guys until you got married at 25, so can you drop the pretenses?"

There are only 2 avenues for VtM goths in my experience once they hit 30: Pagan spirituality or complete fundie.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Nothing wrong with getting kids to grow carrots or other easy foods. Not everything needs to be job training.

Honestly it gives kids a chance to actually do something that produces something real. They can grow a baby tomato that is just as good as the one you can buy in the store, and it was their work that made it happen.

We had a tomato plant on our balcony when I was a kid, and my mom told me to go pick the tomatoes and we'd have them for lunch, but my chubby little kid fingers fumbled it and one of the little baby tomatoes fell off the balcony, never to be seen again. I still weep for that tomato.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Rick_Hunter posted:

99% of the time someone is named Freeman it's a

black guy (Like Washington and Jefferson).

The one time it's a white guy it's a sovereign citizen nut job..

Crispin McDougal Freeman is downright pasty, and to the best of my knowledge he's not a sovereign citizen.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

seiferguy posted:

Oh here's a real piece of crap from a horrible person too:

"I literally have no idea whatsoever what gender studies involves, how many people take it as their major, or what their career prospects are like in real life. But the name sounds icky to me so I'm going to mock the idea any time I get the chance."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Guilty Spork posted:

"I literally have no idea whatsoever what gender studies involves, how many people take it as their major, or what their career prospects are like in real life. But the name sounds icky to me so I'm going to mock the idea any time I get the chance."

It simultaneously amuses and depresses me that so many people just automatically assume every woman going to college studies gender studies to the exclusion of absolutely everything else. While failing to realize that gender studies is also working on getting the sexism out of STEM. Which is, you know, one of the major reasons those careers are very very male.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Guilty Spork posted:

The worst part about that being she has a PhD in philosophy, so she very likely DOES know what gender studies is, she just chooses to misrepresent it to the right-wing anti-feminist manbaby crowd in order to score speaking engagements and book deals.

Christina Hoff-Sommers is a sad, broken woman. I can't actually feel angry for her, I just pity her.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It simultaneously amuses and depresses me that so many people just automatically assume every woman going to college studies gender studies to the exclusion of absolutely everything else. While failing to realize that gender studies is also working on getting the sexism out of STEM. Which is, you know, one of the major reasons those careers are very very male.

It also seems like that would be good preparation for sociological studies and data analysis in general.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Hermetic posted:

The worst part about that being she has a PhD in philosophy, so she very likely DOES know what gender studies is, she just chooses to misrepresent it to the right-wing anti-feminist manbaby crowd in order to score speaking engagements and book deals.

This isn't quite the same thing, but I don't get why Bill Maher talks about Islam like he does. It just gets scooped up by the right wing and he doesn't seem to mind. They just go "look, even this liberal agrees that Islam is a threat!" It's not like he profits from it (that I know of at least).

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Hermetic posted:

Christina Hoff-Sommers is a sad, broken woman. I can't actually feel angry for her, I just pity her.

She's also recently given everyone a(nother) good look at why women shouldn't pander to the alt-right. Because despite being their 'Based Mom' for ages, all it took was her standing up for Melissa Fields and she got disowned as 'just another FEMALE who plays identity politics'.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

There was a link to "Broken Fences - Full Movie" on that Columbine trailer. Is this supposed to be the Christian Brokeback Mountain?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

This isn't quite the same thing, but I don't get why Bill Maher talks about Islam like he does. It just gets scooped up by the right wing and he doesn't seem to mind. They just go "look, even this liberal agrees that Islam is a threat!" It's not like he profits from it (that I know of at least).

Nah, there's a pretty good market for liberals who trash Democrats on various news shows. Bill can walk the "centrist" line and get attention that way. It is weird, though, how he went from "all religions are stupid" to "this one is especially bad." Back in the 90's, he was riding the "spiritual not religious" train, saying he totally believed in God, just didn't want to be involved with religion. At this point, I doubt he really thinks much about it and just says whatever pops into his head.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

He's an anti religious zealot. You may as well ask why Mel Gibson talks about Jews if he doesn't profit from it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Klaus88 posted:

I'm torn between disappointed and pleased at the lack of half-life jokes on this page. :unsmith:

Don't forget to reload (the thread), Klaus88!

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
=

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

There was a link to "Broken Fences - Full Movie" on that Columbine trailer. Is this supposed to be the Christian Brokeback Mountain?

It looks to be a movie about a father and his parolee son. Doesn't explain the very obvious boner that the image implies.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jurgan posted:

It also seems like that would be good preparation for sociological studies and data analysis in general.

It depends on your program, as is the case with a lot of sociological fields. I have a degree in WGS and it really focused primarily on like, preparing students to be social workers rather than spending a lot of time on the more sociological/scientific parts of the field. But even then it changes heavily from course to course - I'd have 200-level ones which felt very "academic" and 300-level ones that were a lot less so (one in particular literally met in the school garden and was basically 8 of us sitting in a circle and talking about how our weeks were, though that professor was let go the next semester to be fair). Sometimes we'd spend lots of time with really meaty theory or literature, history or modern, but other times you'd have a class where over half of it was people sharing borderline nonsequiter stories from their childhood (or "friend of a friend on facebook"???) because the professor didn't want to stop letting people share even if we've gotten completely off topic.

I mean don't get me wrong, it got me into a masters program for sociology - I was told my undergrad degree made me stick out, and I did a lot of independent study in the field - and I wouldn't trade my experiences in the field if asked, but if I didn't plan on going onto graduate school or to work at one of the local women's shelters it'd probably have been rough for me after graduating.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Klaus88 posted:

I'm torn between disappointed and pleased at the lack of half-life jokes on this page. :unsmith:

The wrong joke on the right page can make all the diff-er-ence in the world.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 5, 2016

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It looks to be a movie about a father and his parolee son. Doesn't explain the very obvious boner that the image implies.

That made me scroll back up and yeah, dad's got a fence post boner and son's got a flaccid shadow.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

AdjectiveNoun posted:

She's also recently given everyone a(nother) good look at why women shouldn't pander to the alt-right. Because despite being their 'Based Mom' for ages, all it took was her standing up for Melissa Fields and she got disowned as 'just another FEMALE who plays identity politics'.

The goobergate/MRA crowd finally turned on Hoff-Sommers?! Oh man, I have the biggest schadenfreude boner right now. PLEASE tell me there's a blog or a website or a storify or something where someone saved the juiciest bits of the narrative...

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Winner! Winner! Winner!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hermetic posted:

There are only 2 avenues for VtM goths in my experience once they hit 30: Pagan spirituality or complete fundie.

Too few dots in critical thought.

Bonus joke:
They didn't have it as a clan discipline.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Too few dots in critical thought.

Bonus joke:
They didn't have it as a clan discipline.

That's what they get for making mental their tertiary attribute set.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Coffee And Pie posted:

Winner! Winner! Winner!

Most film! Very award!

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Hermetic posted:

The goobergate/MRA crowd finally turned on Hoff-Sommers?! Oh man, I have the biggest schadenfreude boner right now. PLEASE tell me there's a blog or a website or a storify or something where someone saved the juiciest bits of the narrative...

http://www.wehuntedthemammoth.com/2016/03/31/anime-nazis-turn-on-christina-hoff-sommers-after-she-stands-up-for-assaulted-reporter/

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Lemma posted:

So, in order to revise their understanding of the world to allow for this, they need to reinterpret every major event in American history such that the hated Muslims have always been our archnemesis, causing endless damage even to the great powers of centuries past. That way, 9/11 isn't a surprise attack out of the blue, it becomes the logical boiling over point in an ongoing battle between us and the bad guys who've been dogging us since day 1. Ergo, 18th century barbary pirates and modern IS fighters are indistinguishable iterations of the same entity.

It also helps them ignore the fact that Al-Qaeda was financially supported and assisted by the US during the Carter and Reagan administrations, as they were viewed to be a great ally in fighting against the commie Russians.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Quick question - What happened to Liberal Logic? I don't follow this tread super close. Why did it change from the LL dump to the pissed off whoevers?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

aricoarena posted:

Quick question - What happened to Liberal Logic? I don't follow this tread super close. Why did it change from the LL dump to the pissed off whoevers?

The poster responsible for LL got so depressed he couldn't standing doing the dumps anymore.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
LL also started becoming full of news reposts and less crazy macros.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Klaus88 posted:

The poster responsible for LL got so depressed he couldn't standing doing the dumps anymore.

Unfortunately, too much exposure to LL bumped up his LL Mythos rating too much, and a few too many failed madness rolls later...

The moral of the story is, always burn right-wing Facebook shares without reading them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if you read too many of them you will presumably get sucked into the dreamlands along with the authors.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I read all of them and now I want to Combat Liberalism.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!
EPORW is the new LL

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Is there an Old One representing All-Consuming Rage? You could make a Lovecraftian story where cultists spread these rightwing memes to generate rage for the rage god.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Is there an Old One representing All-Consuming Rage? You could make a Lovecraftian story where cultists spread these rightwing memes to generate rage for the rage god.

Old Ones are a bad comparison because they don't have emotions like we do. None of them feel rage like we think of it because none of them care enough.

Azathoth maybe but that is described as an unintelligent blob that just destroys everything near it.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 5, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Azathoth maybe nut that is described as an unintelligent blob that just destroys everything near it.

Sounds like a tea partier.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Sounds like a tea partier.

No, Azathoth is capable of moving unassisted and is actually competent at something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Is there a drawing of Azathoth riding on a Rascal?