Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
:drat:

Reach Heaven Through Sick Burns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

drat

Though do we know when we're getting the real update? Tuesday?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

team overhead smash posted:

drat

Though do we know when we're getting the real update? Tuesday?

I think we're on a Tuesday/Friday schedule, but it might be tomorrow. Abbadon's already sent out the preview and I think that's usually the day before?

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Allow me:

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

edit: tap tap tap

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hm

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

From the look of her hand, Mottom isn't trying to hide what she really looks like anymore.

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

Looks like old hag Mottom is back. Maybe the theories about the one receiving tribute being a decoy have something to them.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yep, I'm betting that what I was thinking earlier is right, and the Mother Om the court sees isn't the real one. That, or we're having a timeskip/flashback.

That's probably a pretty good gig, really, being the face of one of the most powerful beings in all creation. You get glory, admiration, and more power than 99.9% of anything that's ever lived, and all you have to do is sit back, look pretty, receive tribute, and annihilate anyone who irritates you. Just don't piss off your boss and you have it made.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'm betting the Mottom we saw in the court was an illusion of sorts. It seems unlikely that someone powerful enough to kill with just one Red-White word and no wand would be content to be a body-double, as there's probably only a handful of such skilled sorcerers in all the worlds and also it feels like cheating to do the boss subtitles thing when its an impostor. Chances are Mottom's powerful enough to send a younger looking aspect of herself to do menial bullshit in court for herself while she chows down.

Or Hot Mottom could just be a very loyal and very gifted understudy, who knows.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm betting the Mottom we saw in the court was an illusion of sorts. It seems unlikely that someone powerful enough to kill with just one Red-White word and no wand would be content to be a body-double, as there's probably only a handful of such skilled sorcerers in all the worlds and also it feels like cheating to do the boss subtitles thing when its an impostor. Chances are Mottom's powerful enough to send a younger looking aspect of herself to do menial bullshit in court for herself while she chows down.

Or Hot Mottom could just be a very loyal and very gifted understudy, who knows.

I think she might be an emissary. From the reference they wield a key of kings on behalf of the demi-urge they serve and presumably that gives them some juicy powers.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

New page:

http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-4-71/

Someone is not happy. Also very hungry.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Did she have dinner with that one person sitting there, or are all the empty seats vacant because she ate the occupants?

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

nimby posted:

Did she have dinner with that one person sitting there, or are all the empty seats vacant because she ate the occupants?

Yes?

On a more serious note, do we actually know if she eats people? Has there been any alt-text to suggest as such?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

TheCIASentMe posted:

Yes?

On a more serious note, do we actually know if she eats people? Has there been any alt-text to suggest as such?

She regularly receives big shipments of slaves who are never seen or heard from again. She is an avatar of gluttony, unspeakably cruel, answers to no higher power for her actions, and has the appearance of a ghoul. Those dots alone are enough to draw suspicion of cannibalism.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
The more we see of Mottom, the less I feel her Gluttony represents literally eating things. It seems more like conspicuous consumption turned up to 11. This banquet, for example - most of it just gets thrown out suspect. A lot of those dishes are made so one bite can be taken.

That is to say... Anyone who's baked knows any recipe with eggs can only be scaled back so far. You're gonna use at least one egg. So if you only want one cookie, you either find someone else to give the rest to or don't bother. Mottom, though, has them bake the full batch just so she can have that one cookie.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I get the feeling that as we get to know the demiurges more the "seven sins" theme will be increasingly superficial. Especially since they have their own explicit seven-part theme with the names of royalty thing. Mottom likes to eat! She also runs a glorious palace of luxury and excess in all aspects, will burn down worlds to gain a single product, and is quick to demonstrate her mastery over magic.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Comrade Gorbash posted:

The more we see of Mottom, the less I feel her Gluttony represents literally eating things. It seems more like conspicuous consumption turned up to 11. This banquet, for example - most of it just gets thrown out suspect. A lot of those dishes are made so one bite can be taken.

That is to say... Anyone who's baked knows any recipe with eggs can only be scaled back so far. You're gonna use at least one egg. So if you only want one cookie, you either find someone else to give the rest to or don't bother. Mottom, though, has them bake the full batch just so she can have that one cookie.

Yeah, for all of Mottom's excess on display, we've only seen her take one bite of food in all her time in the comic. Her gluttony stems from her relentless accumulation of wealth, without any care or thought given to the wealth itself - all that matters is that she has all these things, and other people don't. Like with the world below her palace, where she took a liking to the fruit, and then made it so that no one but herself could ever have it again.

On the other end you have Mammon, who represents Greed, who has hardly ever been depicted without money, and who owns a bank that controls and lends money to every corner of the sevenfold cosmos. He doesn't love money; he just tells it that to get it into bed. His object of desire is the sum and whole of his vice, unlike Mottom, whose vice is the desire itself, always in search of an object. The two of them probably don't get along well at parties, or at least they wouldn't if anyone could coax Mammon out of his planet-sized Scrooge McDuck vault.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

TheCIASentMe posted:

Yes?

Well some of the dishes look like they're made from Servants and those are people.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tenebrais posted:

I get the feeling that as we get to know the demiurges more the "seven sins" theme will be increasingly superficial. Especially since they have their own explicit seven-part theme with the names of royalty thing. Mottom likes to eat! She also runs a glorious palace of luxury and excess in all aspects, will burn down worlds to gain a single product, and is quick to demonstrate her mastery over magic.

yeah people are really trying to force the motif

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/709653396857327616

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Mottom's domain is the archetypal empire built on mercantile plunder. her gluttony is the hunger of the home provinces for the material wealth of the far-flung colonies. and furthermore, additional pop-marxist Zizek words.

*sucks wetly on teeth* To reach heaven through violensh! Yesh! Thish ish true Leninisht work.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

paranoid randroid posted:

Mottom's domain is the archetypal empire built on mercantile plunder. her gluttony is the hunger of the home provinces for the material wealth of the far-flung colonies. and furthermore, additional pop-marxist Zizek words.

*sucks wetly on teeth* To reach heaven through violensh! Yesh! Thish ish true Leninisht work.

mottom is already eating from the garbage can all the time

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010
I could only phone browse while the April fools comic was up, does anyone recall the alt text?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

quote:

Q: So, how would Mottom *actually* react if someone publicly insulted her fashion sense in a barrage of plant-themed puns?

A: PERISH

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Well some of the dishes look like they're made from Servants and those are people.
I don't think those are people. Both Servants and Man have been shown to be pretty variable in appearance, but we also know that there are non-people things that are related to Man - ie. animals. So those weird looking roasted things are probably either just animals from a different universe, or related to Servants the way a turkey is to a human.

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, for all of Mottom's excess on display, we've only seen her take one bite of food in all her time in the comic. Her gluttony stems from her relentless accumulation of wealth, without any care or thought given to the wealth itself - all that matters is that she has all these things, and other people don't. Like with the world below her palace, where she took a liking to the fruit, and then made it so that no one but herself could ever have it again.
That's another aspect of it too. I think mostly it's about waste with her.

For a non-food example, look at all those pillows she rests on. I bet she doesn't use the same ones each day. I bet they all get thrown out at the end of the day - maybe even more often than that. Mottom always sits on fresh, new, never before used pillows. Pillows a couple thousand slaves are hand-making from silk, constantly, just to keep up. And then you've got thousands of other slaves making dye. Or digging up gold so new cutlery can be forged for every meal.

I think she does consume all those slaves. Not literally. But she consumes them because her mode of existence is hugely wasteful. It takes the effort of entire nations just to keep her in new furniture, because she doesn't deign to use any piece more than once. And yeah sewing a pillow is just going to be boring, but the dyers? The lumberjacks who cut down forests to make her a new bedroom set every night, the miners constantly digging up new ore for her utensils? That's got to have a pretty high mortality rate.

So yeah, she uses up people as profligately as she uses up anything else, like the food at this banquet.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Aurium posted:

I could only phone browse while the April fools comic was up, does anyone recall the alt text?

"im thinking of making these puns pretty rootine"

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Got a little scared when I couldn't find the April Fools strip, but it's still here.

In her badass burn delivery face, Alison looks like Souther from HnK:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I don't think those are people. Both Servants and Man have been shown to be pretty variable in appearance, but we also know that there are non-people things that are related to Man - ie. animals. So those weird looking roasted things are probably either just animals from a different universe, or related to Servants the way a turkey is to a human.

That's another aspect of it too. I think mostly it's about waste with her.

For a non-food example, look at all those pillows she rests on. I bet she doesn't use the same ones each day. I bet they all get thrown out at the end of the day - maybe even more often than that. Mottom always sits on fresh, new, never before used pillows. Pillows a couple thousand slaves are hand-making from silk, constantly, just to keep up. And then you've got thousands of other slaves making dye. Or digging up gold so new cutlery can be forged for every meal.

I think she does consume all those slaves. Not literally. But she consumes them because her mode of existence is hugely wasteful. It takes the effort of entire nations just to keep her in new furniture, because she doesn't deign to use any piece more than once. And yeah sewing a pillow is just going to be boring, but the dyers? The lumberjacks who cut down forests to make her a new bedroom set every night, the miners constantly digging up new ore for her utensils? That's got to have a pretty high mortality rate.

So yeah, she uses up people as profligately as she uses up anything else, like the food at this banquet.

this is a good post and also in agreement with my thoughts on the matter

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
The worst part about binging through a webcomic is when you catch up.

So uh, how do you guys deal with the downtime? Just whisky and sadness?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
real fans learn to travel by division and follow the action live

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Benson Cunningham posted:

An ever increasing list of half-finished works cluttering up your bookmarks/rss feed, until every day is a disappointment where the one you were actually interested in is running late and the mediocre ones are still ticking on strong. Also you now have so many different plotlines in your head you can't remember why this character was relevant to the plot or even who the gently caress he is as it's been two years since he was seen last (three months in the timeline of the comic (if you're lucky)).

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Benson Cunningham posted:

And self-loathing! Very important.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Need more webcomics that wait to release full [but smaller] chapters, like the Koreans do. Makes a better read.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 5, 2016

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-4-72/

In which Allison finally gets that makeover, but at what cost?

edit

A makeover is achieved, but the damage is irreversible.

K Prime fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 6, 2016

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

K Prime posted:

http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-4-72/

In which Allison finally gets that makeover, but at what cost?

Mottom's, apparently. Looks like 'Glamor' was the right guess after all

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I know that Allison didn't have a plan when she stood up to Mottom, but I don't think even she expected this would happen.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
unfortunately, after burning her one casting of Be A Tree and Petals, Bithc, all Mottoms spells for the day were food related. so why not do lunch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That explains Mottom's reaction. She's a multiversal tyrant with a flair for the dramatic but Allison wasn't providing much to work with.

Jackard posted:

Need more webcomics that wait to release full [but smaller] chapters, like the Koreans do. Makes a better read.

Though maybe without the loads of unused white space, because I find it aesthetically unpleasing even if digital media don't really have to worry about "page size" in a physical sense, only in how it affects the reader's mental pacing.