Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

objectively bad posted:

I've been blitzing L5s for 3 years now, I wrote a guide and posted it to goonfleet dot com. I haven't had a chance to test how the carrier changes will affect L5 blitzing yet. I don't have access to gf.com any more but I'd be happy to answer any questions you have on here.

Alternatively you can ask batuka, who I believe is setting up to run missions in saranen's constellation. He learnt it from me while he was in BOS.

that clown died in his carrier because he ended up spazzing out on the beacon. when I explained to him how to warp at range he told me that wasnt possible and there was nothing he couldve have done to prevent his dumb carrier death. what Im saying is you should ask batuka for tips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Endie posted:

The phrase is "never stop posting". Call me a faithless whore but I also post on all sorts of other internet messaging boards. I know: what a traitor, eh? I'm plucking up my courage to post on a really bittervet alt history forum right now where everyone just shits on everything new ever posted with basically no exceptions.

I lurk and very occasionally post there and it's not so bad, but there's a thing with alt-history where the rules of the game aren't particularly clear to newcomers because everyone is following the conventions from some 25 year old FAQ they read on soc.history.what-if. So when some newbie shows up and is like ":shobon: so guys what would have happened if Historical Figure/Institution XYZ acted massively out of character at one particular crucial moment in history and changed everything :shobon:" they don't understand why they're getting piled by the grognards.

I hope as a starting point you've at least read http://www.philmasters.org.uk/SF/Sealion.htm and you either pretty much agree with the conclusions or understand that you won't make much progress there arguing against them.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

You could come back to bos percelus we're newbie friendly

AAPsel posted:

that clown died in his carrier because he ended up spazzing out on the beacon. when I explained to him how to warp at range he told me that wasnt possible and there was nothing he couldve have done to prevent his dumb carrier death. what Im saying is you should ask batuka for tips

I dunno how people get stuck on beacons. I've done probably 5000 missions warping at 0 and I've never been stuck.

objectively bad fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 5, 2016

powers
Jul 26, 2005

The Maller is an Amarrian frigate, used by hotdroppers.

~SMcD

Fix Lag posted:

WITNESS ME

did you just spray a can of axe body spray in your mouth?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's going to be fun when CCP is implicated in the Panama Papers for being balls deep in all sorts of fraud and corruption and has to close up shop.

Is HIlmar golfing buddies with the Icelandic President who is about to die in a massive fire of public outrage since his name was in those papers and a good couple of % of the whole country is protesting outside the parliament right now?

And isn't CCP backed up/part owned/something else by some shady finance group with an opaque paper trail of where the money is actually coming from?

:allears:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Percelus posted:

However, Pandemic Horde will kick you for loving up like that one roarqual pilot dbrb awoxed awhile back. Their idea of a 'newbie friendly' alliance is one that flips the gently caress out if you make their kill/death ratio look bad.

tl;dr they are the tryhard "elite" pubbie guild you know and hate from every mmo, come and kill some with us :unsmigghh:

:laffo:

Where did you pull any of that out from?

That Rorqual was the alt of a guy whose main had already left Horde for Spaceship Samurai on their own. The character ended up leaving Horde after sure but they weren't kicked for it, especially given they still fly and FC stuff with Horde. There's a pretty short list of people who have gotten kicked and it's mostly awoxers or a creepy fucks like the guy who stalked/harassed someone at Fanfest & Vegas.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 5, 2016

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Helicon One posted:

I lurk and very occasionally post there and it's not so bad, but there's a thing with alt-history where the rules of the game aren't particularly clear to newcomers because everyone is following the conventions from some 25 year old FAQ they read on soc.history.what-if. So when some newbie shows up and is like ":shobon: so guys what would have happened if Historical Figure/Institution XYZ acted massively out of character at one particular crucial moment in history and changed everything :shobon:" they don't understand why they're getting piled by the grognards.

I hope as a starting point you've at least read http://www.philmasters.org.uk/SF/Sealion.htm and you either pretty much agree with the conclusions or understand that you won't make much progress there arguing against them.

Yeah I've been lurking for a while and know better than to do a successful Sealion. Not that I ever would have done so in any case: Hitler having a Kriegsmarine that can do that without the British reacting with their own building program is up there with "Hitler has a liberation philosophy and co-opts Ukraine, Byelorussia and the Baltic States", "let's ignore the limitations of the German economy in 1933", and other similar red flags.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

I found this post and wanted to share it because it's amazing. Are we really not truegoonz when we still can generate such hilarity as below?

Guys listen to him, he used to be a goon years ago!

quote:

We all know you will only give everything for Dekklein and only there.

Just stop acting like hypocrite by spilling excuse about been blueballs and stupid poo poo.

In fact, it suit you that your «allied» lost their spaces and evacuated in mass near of your homeland , so they can help boosting your own little sand castle. Meatshield, its all what they are for you, crawling under your feet in hope you will help them. Don't pretend you event care about their fates.

You're not like the Old Goons of the Great War era, the ones who truly care about their allies. I used to be a goon years ago and what you have become, its more like Band of Brother but with several more layer of arrogance and denial.

And Mittani keep telling you will win this...

I can't wait to enter in Dekklein with the MBC.

The Ex-Goon here can't wait, i can't wait to screw your motherfucking game.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Unfunny Poster posted:

:laffo:

Where did you pull any of that out from?

That Rorqual was the alt of a guy whose main had already left Horde for Spaceship Samurai on their own. The character ended up leaving Horde after sure but they weren't kicked for it, especially given they still fly and FC stuff with Horde. There's a pretty short list of people who have gotten kicked and it's mostly awoxers or a creepy fucks like the guy who stalked/harassed someone at Fanfest & Vegas.

That's not what I heard :shrug:

Here is a sample of their comms though if people want to know how important kill/death ratio poo poo is to Pandemic Legion.

https://soundcloud.com/nan-6/xxxgrath-ragexxx-full-version

dragonstalking
Oct 6, 2013

by Shine

Percelus posted:

For any newcomers reading this thread and want to get an idea of what the two sides fighting this war are like, here is some perspective.

Pandemic Legion, the linchpin of this mob coming after our poo poo, was briefly touted months ago by certain individuals as the flame of true gooniness. This couldn't be further from the truth. In order to get in PL proper you basically need a supercap or a personal vouch. In order to get a supercap in EVE you need billions upon billions of isk as well as a buttload of SP on your character, at least one cyno alt to get around so you'd better have at least 2 accounts, and the connections to purchase a supercap without getting scammed. In short, you need to be quite an established player. They recruit the guys decked out in t6 raid gear who know all the fights.

Now some of the PL guys will say 'we have Pandemic Horde, our newbie friendly alliance anyone can join!' and that is true. However, Pandemic Horde will kick you for loving up like that one roarqual pilot dbrb awoxed awhile back. Their idea of a 'newbie friendly' alliance is one that flips the gently caress out if you make their kill/death ratio look bad.

tl;dr they are the tryhard "elite" pubbie guild you know and hate from every mmo, come and kill some with us :unsmigghh:

Literally none of this is true except the needing a vouch part.

dragonstalking
Oct 6, 2013

by Shine

Percelus posted:

That's not what I heard :shrug:

Here is a sample of their comms though if people want to know how important kill/death ratio poo poo is to Pandemic Legion.

https://soundcloud.com/nan-6/xxxgrath-ragexxx-full-version

I mean if you listen to Grath, his beef is more that these guys were consistently doing stupid poo poo, not that they lost isk.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Once again I'm assume most of the newcomers to this thread are familiar with MMO culture, in which case you've encountered the typical recruitment process of your 'tryhard elitist circlejerk' guilds. They love poo poo like trial periods, long terrible applications, and language weeding all but the most hardened poopsockers who found themselves guildless for whatever reason.

Exhibit A - https://www.pandemic-legion.com/for...bcdb8f3f760f46f

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Percelus posted:

Once again I'm assume most of the newcomers to this thread are familiar with MMO culture, in which case you've encountered the typical recruitment process of your 'tryhard elitist circlejerk' guilds. They love poo poo like trial periods, long terrible applications, and language weeding all but the most hardened poopsockers who found themselves guildless for whatever reason.

Why would anyone bother filling all that crap in? It's horrible.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Is Grath PL's version of Space Dad?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Jacada posted:

I found this post and wanted to share it because it's amazing. Are we really not truegoonz when we still can generate such hilarity as below?

Guys listen to him, he used to be a goon years ago!

I'm glad he's an ex goon, he sounds like a whiny bitch.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

objectively bad posted:

I've been blitzing L5s for 3 years now, I wrote a guide and posted it to goonfleet dot com. I haven't had a chance to test how the carrier changes will affect L5 blitzing yet. I don't have access to gf.com any more but I'd be happy to answer any questions you have on here.

Alternatively you can ask batuka, who I believe is setting up to run missions in saranen's constellation. He learnt it from me while he was in BOS.

Hey is this nonsciolist? I think I may have asked you about it in jabber one time. I guess it mostly makes sense to me now, I'm just a little fuzzy on the initial "where do I choose to set up shop?" constellation/faction picking part.

Obviously I want a good return on ISK for my LP so I check various sites and tools to confirm that. If I want to minimize the number of carriers I need, how would I go about doing that? What I'm fuzzy on is how missions spawn in a constellation. I thought it was just "L5's can only spawn in lowsec, so pick a L5 agent that lives in a constellation that is mostly highsec with just a few lowsec systems." But then some dude came along and was like "naw there's some mystical voodoo ~geography~ element to the mission spawning" and now I'm all confused again because my Googling on this turns up nothing. I wish people would just explain themselves the first time rather than leave me hanging like the latest TWD finale. :saddowns:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Siets posted:

Hey is this nonsciolist? I think I may have asked you about it in jabber one time. I guess it mostly makes sense to me now, I'm just a little fuzzy on the initial "where do I choose to set up shop?" constellation/faction picking part.

Obviously I want a good return on ISK for my LP so I check various sites and tools to confirm that. If I want to minimize the number of carriers I need, how would I go about doing that? What I'm fuzzy on is how missions spawn in a constellation. I thought it was just "L5's can only spawn in lowsec, so pick a L5 agent that lives in a constellation that is mostly highsec with just a few lowsec systems." But then some dude came along and was like "naw there's some mystical voodoo ~geography~ element to the mission spawning" and now I'm all confused again because my Googling on this turns up nothing. I wish people would just explain themselves the first time rather than leave me hanging like the latest TWD finale. :saddowns:

Confirming level Vs don't spawn in highsec as a rule, and missions will never send you out of the constellation.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

frozenpussy posted:

Confirming level Vs don't spawn in highsec as a rule, and missions will never send you out of the constellation.

Well then what the gently caress was that ~geography~ dude on about!? :hurr:

There's more to it, like constellation geography and other things.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Endie posted:

Yeah I've been lurking for a while and know better than to do a successful Sealion. Not that I ever would have done so in any case: Hitler having a Kriegsmarine that can do that without the British reacting with their own building program is up there with "Hitler has a liberation philosophy and co-opts Ukraine, Byelorussia and the Baltic States", "let's ignore the limitations of the German economy in 1933", and other similar red flags.

You should come hang out with us in the A/T milhist thread :shobon:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endie posted:

feedmegin posted:

Is this stuff like any of the Harry Turtledove books etc.?

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Siets posted:

There is definitely some voodoo involved as I notice multiple agents favoring the same system for some unknown geographic reason. Missions certainly aren't limited to just one constellation, though the majority of them will fall within it. Your main selection criteria should be sec status and safety. The lower the sec status of the agent system the more lp you get and the less capable people live nearby the lower the odds of someone dropping probes on you. The only hard part of lvl 5s is local knowledge because if you go set up shop like a clueless idiot and start warping caps about people will treat you like an american tourist walking through the barrio at night.

edit: you also need to make sure there are plenty of stations with good undocks in the target constalation but that falls under safety I guess

you feelin fucky fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 5, 2016

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Percelus posted:

lmao

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i don't really think horde gives a poo poo about KB stats or else they wouldn't be throwing fleets into the meet grinder all the time.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Unfunny Poster posted:

Is this stuff like any of the Harry Turtledove books etc.?

Yes (no (yes)).

Much of Turtledove's stuff (disclaimer: I've only read the Worldwar series but I am aware of the themes of his other books) is what is commonly described in alt-history circles as 'Alien Space Bats' scenarios - alternate historical events occuring as a result of alien invasion, magic, time travel, etc. There's a soft divide in the genre between that extreme of "what if alien lizards invade Earth in 1942 with mid-late Cold War military capabilities?" and a more down to earth scenario of something like "what if the car that knocked over Winston Churchill in 1931 had killed him?".

Alt history is pretty cool stuff to examine how fragile is the reality we live in and how easily the right butterfly flapping its wings can make the difference, but its always a good idea to look out for where the boundaries of the genre lie since it can often devolve into wild nonsensical speculation or wish-fulfillment - there was one long running timeline thread on AH.com about Enoch Powell becoming the UK Prime Minister which stopped abruptly as it became clear that it was being overtly written as an uncritical pro-Fascism /Apartheid wank fantasy.

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 5, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Helicon One posted:

Yes (no (yes)).

Much of Turtledove's stuff is what is commonly described in alt-history circles as 'Alien Space Bats' scenarios - alternate historical events occuring as a result of alien invasion, magic, time travel, etc. There's a soft divide in the genre between that extreme of "what if alien lizards invade Earth in 1942 with mid-late Cold War military capabilities?" and a more down to earth scenario of something like "what if the car that knocked over Winston Churchill in 1931 had killed him?"

Alt history is pretty cool stuff to examine how fragile is the reality we live in and how easily the right butterfly flapping its wings can make the difference, but its always a good idea to look out for where the boundaries of the genre lie since it can often devolve into wild nonsensical speculation or wish-fulfillment.

OK. I've only really ever read Turtledove when it came to "alt-history" kind of stuff. I tried reading 1632 but I just couldn't get into it. I'll check some of that sort of stuff out.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Siets posted:

Well then what the gently caress was that ~geography~ dude on about!? :hurr:

I looked again and I'm seeing old and new comments with conflicting information. A lot of "yuh huh, nuh uh." I give up

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Unfunny Poster posted:

OK. I've only really ever read Turtledove when it came to "alt-history" kind of stuff. I tried reading 1632 but I just couldn't get into it. I'll check some of that sort of stuff out.

The other thing with alt-history is that the idea is often just used as a hook to hang another story on. Fatherland and SS-GB take place in worlds that see a Nazi victory in WW2, but they don't really go much into the 'how' of that victory so much as just stating 'this thing happened, Nazis won, don't ask awkward questions, now here's a detective story taking place a couple of decades afterwards', so they're not usually regarded as 'proper' alt-history by people who care about such things.

There's more 'hard' alt-history that focuses on the historical divergence and consequences, and often is written more in the style of a conventional history book, appearing in recent times with the rise of self-publishing and the e-book lowering the barrier of entry, which can sometimes be worth a look (and a lot of the inevitable junk as well).

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 5, 2016

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Unfunny Poster posted:

I got kinda bored of his alternate WWI series with Custer and stuff because it was just too ungrounded. 1632 I found unreadable. David Downing's "The Moscow Option" was excellent. I said as much and Amazon recommended a book called "The Lion is Humbled" so I thought "sure why not?" The subtitle turned out to be "Book One of the Thousand Year Reich". Page one was about a time traveller telling Hitler how to beat Russia with nukes, and page three was some backstory about how a near-future, our-timeline Switzerland was filled with filthy children from Hindu-African mixed marriages that the very-white hero had been laughed at for warning about. It was surprisingly hard to find out how to tell Amazon that they were pushing neo-nazi wankdreams.

feedmegin posted:

Well then I shall.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

To give everyone an idea of what the relationship is like between Pandemic Horde and Pandemic Legion, here is a snippet of their eve-o recruitment post https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=419055

"Our goal with this group is to not have it be a stepping stone for someone to simply progress into Waffles or Pandemic Legion, though Horde members could end up in either should they choose to pursue that."

"It is important to note that Horde does not pay fealty to Pandemic Legion, and makes the protection of it assets its own responsibility. This partnership with PL also allows new players to be on the PL side of a massive fight when the opportunity calls."

Hey guys you aren't paying tithes so you're not literal space serfs and if your poo poo gets set on fire tough poo poo, however if we need you guys to do bitchwork like entosising we'll call. Don't worry, if you tryhard enough one day you can fill out this sweet application we have and join our cool kids club :v:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

wheres the pl idiot to defend this? I want to see the rational

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

I did it goons. I caught up to the thread.
Deadtear you never explained to me what a meat and cheese biscuit is? Should they be boiled? Tia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuit

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
Drythe and Percelus I will make sure that your concerns are noted.

Also it's "rationale" as a noun.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Unfunny Poster posted:

a creepy fucks like the guy who stalked/harassed someone at Fanfest & Vegas.

Got this guys eve name. We'd like to put him up for next years CSM because some dummies will think it will be funny or something.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Drythe posted:

wheres the pl idiot to defend this? I want to see the rational

You mean Unfunny Poster, because that's his EVE-O thread.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Endie posted:

Drythe and Percelus I will make sure that your concerns are noted.

Also it's "rationale" as a noun.

please answer the question, evading the question by trying to correct spelling on an internet forum is sad

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

What kind of meat and cheese?

Do you have some kind of secret recipe?

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Drythe posted:

please answer the question, evading the question by trying to correct spelling on an internet forum is sad

Space court is in session.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

dragonstalking posted:

Literally none of this is true except the needing a vouch part.

PL is elitist/classist, PH is not. That's literally the bottom line. GSF doesn't have that separation between GoonWaffe/KarmaFleet.

Why am I replying to hands down the shittiest pubbie poster itt I have no idea, bored at work I guess.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Endie posted:

Space court is in session.

am i under space arrest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Did I forget to mention Sniggwaffe? There is a middle child to this family, they're more of a farm team for Pandemic Legion. https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=266074

"What YOU can expect from Sniggwaffe:
We are a PVP training corp, and the recruitment corp for Sniggerdly. There's no passive aggression here. You screw up you will be told about it in no uncertain terms. This is how you get better. The reason most people are as bad as they are is because, either no-one tells them, or they refuse to accept it. That doesn’t fly here in either way.

We couldn’t care less how awesome you think you are because, when you get in here, you start at zero. In fact, from our eyes, the only thing different between most carebears and so-called "elite PvPers" is the fact that the carebears we recruit at least know how bad they are. So yeah, we will take people from all sorts of different backgrounds, tear them down to nothing, and build them up to something that may one day be worth Sniggs interest. Don't expect to get into Snigg, not everyone does, and a lot get trolled out or get their caps awoxed because they are terrible. There are only a handful of people in EVE that can get in directly, and most of them are already there. This is the only way for anyone else."

Waffles are uplifted but not yet in the club, unlike a hordling they are expected to one day graduate. Yes, the people we are fighting have a farm team like they're some professional sports team. When you look at Pandemic Legion, Sniggwaffe, and Pandemic Horde as a whole, it's like a caste system or feudalism with the nobles lording over their men at arms and the lowly conscripts.

Want to kill these dorks yet?

• Locked thread