Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Something expensive is about to go boom, and I hope it doesn't take out anything expensive in the house.

Lights have been flickering a bit since I got home a couple of hours ago. They're now flickering quite a bit more, to the point that (a) I'm getting a migraine and (b) the two PCs in the house on a UPS have shut themselves down.

I walked outside for a minute, at least now I know it's not something inside the house - about half the houses on my street have flickering exterior lights, same with the street lights.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

might be a transformer going, happened in my neighborhood a while back

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A pretty cool car crash I came upon at work a few days ago. Most of you know that I'm an EMT in my day job, but I generally work what we call "interfacility" or "IF," being a hospital to hospital ambulance, instead of a 911 ambulance. An EMT on a 911 ambulance normally doesn't get to do too much, because they're really just driving and assisting the paramedic (though I won't discount how much that assist helps and requires skillful work). However, an EMT on a BLS (2x EMTs instead of 1x EMT and 1x Paramedic) ambulance gets to do a lot more, as half of the time you're in the back taking care of patients. In theory you'll only get BLS-level calls instead of ALS (basic life support vs advanced life support) calls, but as I work the night shift, I get a lot of poo poo thrown on me that should have had a medic or even a doc there hours ago, and I find it fun. However, as it's still Interfacility, while I may get some gnarly medical patients (10 month old with asthma, 80-year-old with two broken arms and "unreported" A-fib, etc), I rarely come upon a car crash like a traditional 911 crew.

The other day, however, we were "lift assisting" another nurse crew on the way to the hospital. As in, they had a 450lb patient, and needed a few extra sets of hands to lift the patient into the ambulance. We also follow to the hospital (where there are always extra people to help lift) as courtesy, and sometimes because we have their gurney in the back of our truck (having earlier switched out our small gurney for the bariatric, or "fat person," gurney). So, we were following this nurse crew to a hospital, when NO poo poo about 4 cars ahead of us, I see this Toyota Matrix all over the road. It was on the freeway in 80mph traffic, but with occasional gridlock every few miles. This Matrix was left and right swerving all over, and just about as I was going to say to my partner that she was going to have an accident, all lanes had to emergency stop for some heavy traffic. When this happened, the driver of the Matrix swerved left, then overcorrected right enough to cruise across three lanes (we were in the lane next to the HOV lane), hit the gravel on the shoulder, and turn around 180* right into a tree.

It was a miracle that she didn't hit anybody in any of those three lanes, as all 3 were emergency stopping for the traffic and were already squirrely. But, the stopped cars did clear a path for us, and we booked it to the shoulder in the gap to assess the damage.

Look at that cabin intrusion. At least 15" of it, which is insane. She hit the tree sideways at nearly full speed, at least 50mph. Had there been a passenger, they would have been dead, or at least seriously injured. For HIPAA's sake, I can't tell you much about the passenger herself, except for she was perfectly fine without an immediate scratch on her, though I bet two days after the fact she was feeling very sore in a few places (nobody feels injured following an accident). Our nurse/bariatric crew continued to the hospital, and we were there for the patient until her family showed up (and she refused fire's medical care). Goddamned Toyota Matrix saved her life. Side note: I have that exact same steering wheel cover on my beetle.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 5, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Enourmo posted:

might be a transformer going, happened in my neighborhood a while back

I figure it's that or a loose connection.

I've been bugging Oncor/TXU about it for over a month now, but the flickering has been so random that they just say "not our problem, it's something with your wiring".

One of the two CFLs in the ceiling fixture in this room let the magic smoke out a few minutes ago, though that bulb was ancient (at least 6 years old). I figure I'm going to wake up to one of these:

#1: Everything is fried
#2: Power is out
#3: #1 and #2

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Take film of the whole neighborhood flickering, let them try and say it's your wiring then.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Well something did go boom, followed immediately by the lights getting really bright for a moment (then darkness).

gently caress it. I don't have to be at work until 4pm. I have a fully charged phone with unlimited data, and I'll wake up long before work, so I'm gonna pass out to Netflix.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Geirskogul posted:

This worked WAY loving better than expected:

+

=

Aww, the episode where QT falls in love with the coffee robot. :3:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Listen I was very drunk and it was a beautiful episode okay

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Hey I understand completely, there's been a few moments in that show that have prodded at my cold, dead heart.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Geirskogul posted:

A good story and accompanying pictures.

Hey since you mentioned you can't post too many details you might want to edit out the license plate in the one picture since many states allow you to look up vehicle registration info with just the license plate number.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
First vacation (3 days off) as an IT middle manager. Maybe next time I'll just slam my dick in a door for 3 days (while retaining the ability to check my email of course)

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

PaintVagrant posted:

First vacation (3 days off) as an IT middle manager. Maybe next time I'll just slam my dick in a door for 3 days (while retaining the ability to check my email of course)

You're on vacation, why the gently caress would you even think about working much less check emails?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I wasn't clear. I'm back from work and I would have rather have stayed in the office slamming said dick in the door while still having email access rather than taking 3 days off

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

PaintVagrant posted:

I wasn't clear. I'm back from work and I would have rather have stayed in the office slamming said dick in the door while still having email access rather than taking 3 days off

Because you spent your vacation slamming your dick in a heavier door at home?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

keykey posted:

You're on vacation, why the gently caress would you even think about working much less check emails?

HAHA. No, if you are IT, you'd better be reachable at all times and all places.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

PaintVagrant posted:

Still not clear unless you're into pain play. 3 days off is always a good thing.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So, toying around with the idea of getting a car specifically to toy around with (autocrossing and track days and stuff).

Mostly because this showed up for sale near me, and while I'm not getting that one, it did spark the thought in my head. If I could find something like a Neon R/T (or ACR, if I'm lucky) for around that price, I think I'd be pretty happy.

I wouldn't want to go much more than $1500 since I've never done any autocrossing other than spectating (and that's why I'm thinking first gen Neon R/T or something similar) and I think that puts Miatas and E36s and stuff out of my reach (previously the plan was a 944 and I'll still be on the prowl for those too), but what else would be a good candidate? Is that a typical price for a Neon R/T? What about an ACR?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Jared592 posted:

Still not clear unless you're into pain play. 3 days off is always a good thing.

It was great til I got back in the office and had 3 days of work shoveled onto my head at once.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
If Blaise was still here he'd be all over you getting that Neon. He might've actually had an ACR at one point IIRC.

PaintVagrant posted:

It was great til I got back in the office and had 3 days of work shoveled onto my head at once.

Ahhh okay. That sucks.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Jared592 posted:

If Blaise was still here he'd be all over you getting that Neon. He might've actually had an ACR at one point IIRC.

Ahhh okay. That sucks.

I know there's an active ACR thread, that's what kinda made me start looking at first gen Neons. My wife's second car was a '95 but it had the SOHC engine and 3-speed automatic.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
$1500 for a running car with less than 100k and a stick seems like a pretty good deal no matter what it is. Take it for a spin.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Is it an ironclad written guaranteed slot at the school?

Because this is the military. If you extend, they will find a way to gently caress you just because you let them.

Haha exactly, if you're gonna do it get that poo poo in writing because their word doesn't mean dog poo poo.

It's basically the reason i got out after four years, I didn't trust them because they had hosed me over multiple times.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Cage posted:

$1500 for a running car with less than 100k and a stick seems like a pretty good deal no matter what it is. Take it for a spin.

I'd be afraid I'd buy it.

And I already have four cars, and don't really have the spare $1500 at the moment without dipping into my savings by that amount (plus money to replace the winter tires on that thing).

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Autocross the challenger then. :colbert:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Cage posted:

It is white, I could call it Moby Dick!

Also I'm kinda mad that the custom plate OA5599 was taken :(

edit: vv I would, but I think a $1500 Neon would be a better bet than a $1500 E36. Could be wrong about that, though.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Cage posted:

This is the only answer.

gotta start somewhere! You've been pining a bit on the BMWs... so save up for a good project e36 or something.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

CornHolio posted:

edit: vv I would, but I think a $1500 Neon would be a better bet than a $1500 E36. Could be wrong about that, though.

Found this on my local CL, but it may be gone. IIRC you aren't THAT far away.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/5488677006.html

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CornHolio posted:

Is Ishmael?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

nm posted:

Is Ishmael?

That's what we named our van :v:

edit: though no vanity plate for a van. I mean :cmon:

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 5, 2016

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CommieGIR posted:

Pretty much this.

I worked for HP for two years and my manager 1) couldn't understand that my cell phone had poor reception at home, so if he tried to call it in the middle of the night and it didn't ring I wouldn't answer and 2) once told me (in response to "I was driving on the highway in heavy traffic when you called") that "there is never a good enough reason for you to not answer my calls, I have a team of 15 individuals and none of them tell me they're too busy driving to take my calls."

Getting laid off from that job was definitely a blessing.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Larrymer posted:

Found this on my local CL, but it may be gone. IIRC you aren't THAT far away.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/5488677006.html

Actually I'm heading up to Auburn Hills tonight to see Iron Maiden :v:

And I saw that (because of course I would), looks good for the price but I wouldn't want a ragtop.

nm posted:

Is Ishmael?

I ended up transferring the standard Purdue plate from my 540i so it's a moot point now anyways

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 5, 2016

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Geoj posted:

"there is never a good enough reason for you to not answer my calls, I have a team of 15 individuals and none of them tell me they're too busy driving to take my calls."

Haha gently caress that guy

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

It's so weird when goons are literally down the street from me

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

CommieGIR posted:

We have been trying to get the IT guy for the town hall in this town to call us back for 2 loving days now so we can install some fiber in a city owned building. Dude is loving AWOL.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Tusen Takk posted:

It's so weird when goons are literally down the street from me

How would you know YOU NEVER MEET THEM :mad:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

:saddowns:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

If t makes you feel better I got 10pts added onto my midterm and the professor said as long as I get higher than a 50% I'll pass with a 2.0 so :sun:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Adiabatic posted:

How was buffalo, jerk? :mad:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cage posted:

How was buffalo, jerk? :mad:

Cold, grey and wet. Overall depressing.

Was I close?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

there's like 4 other ai goons in the Orlando area and I've never met a single one

• Locked thread