Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

detectivemonkey posted:

My biggest life issue right now is that I cannot fit a chest freezer anywhere in my house. Instead I am in a constant race to eat things from the freezer as fast as I put things in.

yeah, I'm a leftover hound. I make too much with the intent for freezing when i'm lazy as an alternative to ordering out, but it rarely makes it that far. I don't particularly like freezing meats though, unless I am using them within the next few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I started prepping for an incoming baby due in August last weekend and made about 150 servings of Korean chicken stew that I vacuum sealed into bags of 8 servings. It cost me about $15 for the chicken, $5 for the potatoes, carrots and chili peppers, and $5 for the tub of gokujang. Everything else is bought in bulk and I'd estimate less than $1 in cost used. You can eat it on rice with banchan or just roasted veggies. I've also had it in arepas with cheese, as taco meat, in lettuce wraps, etc. We ate about 30 servings over the week (my husband's eats 2-3 servings per meal). I personally don't think potatoes freeze well, so feel free to drop then from the recipe. I included then in case I was too tired after birth to make real vegetables.

Bulk Recipe, scales down or up fine: nothing needs to be exact

30ish pounds of chicken skin in bone in chicken thighs
3 large onions
5 pounds of potatoes (I use red)
2 pounds of carrots (cut into thick chunks)
Blend of chili peppers. I used 6 anaheim, 4 jalapeno, and 4 Serrano. (Sliced)
1 tub (about 1.5 cups) of gokujang
Equal volume of soy sauce
Equal volume of red chili flakes

1. Sear off your chicken in a pan. Dump into your simmering pot. Dump out fat as necessary. You can deskin the chicken after searing if you want.
2. Keep a couple tablespoons of chicken fat in the pan and sautee the onions until lightly translucent, add in the sliced chili peppers.
3. Mix together the equal parts of gokujang, soy sauce, and red chili flakes. Fry in the pan.
4. Deglaze with alcohol of your choice (i use rice wine or red wine) or just water. Dump everything into the pot with the quartered potatoes.
5. Fill the pot with water about 4/5 of the way up relative to height of the chicken and stuff.
6. Get the water to a boil then down to a simmer. Stew is done when the bone comes out with little effort.
7. Debone and deskin here if you need to or want. I also tear/chop up the chicken here into smaller pieces. Then I fridge the lot and scrape of the fat aggressively.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 21, 2016

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

coyo7e posted:

Going to the grocer after St Patty's day, you can often find corned beef briskets for closeout prices. Buy a couple and freeze them.

I made a great carbonara last night, using bacon and some corned beef. Wish I'd had some chives though.

This is my usual strat but I went and they weren't even on display

So not sure if I just went to a store that never had them, or I got really unlucky

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Chicken thighs were 39 cents a pound at the grocery this week, so now I've got five pounds worth of them in my fridge. Planning on roasting at least half of them, taking the skin, bones, and gristle out of the ones I don't eat right then, shredding the meat, and putting it into some bean and rice burritos for freezing. Not sure yet what I'll do with the rest, but I'm sure there's a ton of recipes out there.

Corned beef briskets in my area tend to stay off markdown until they get close to their sell by date, which for corned beef can be several weeks after St. Pats. Same thing with ham, but the stores tend to sell the ham cheaply around the holiday anyway. And I am moving next month, so there's also the consideration of transporting a ton of frozen meat halfway across town.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Tar_Squid posted:

Chicken thighs were 39 cents a pound at the grocery this week, so now I've got five pounds worth of them in my fridge. Planning on roasting at least half of them, taking the skin, bones, and gristle out of the ones I don't eat right then, shredding the meat, and putting it into some bean and rice burritos for freezing. Not sure yet what I'll do with the rest, but I'm sure there's a ton of recipes out there.

Shred and mix with BBQ sauce. I usually take a container of that to work with a sweet potato, microwave the potato and then dump the chicken on top.

You can also use the bone and skin to make broth!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

detectivemonkey posted:

Shred and mix with BBQ sauce. I usually take a container of that to work with a sweet potato, microwave the potato and then dump the chicken on top.

You can also use the bone and skin to make broth!

Yeah don't neglect the bone. Roast it in a hot oven to get browning on the skin then throw em in a crock pot bone in. Let em fully cook, then shred a little bit and cook me some more to get all the goodness out of the bones and connective tissue. Then shred and save the meat and broth.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

coyo7e posted:

I entirely sick of gimmicky kitchen devices, they're mainly unnecessary, expensive, take up tons of kitchen/pantry space when not in use, and don't get used enough to care about unless you'rebuying dozens of pounds of meat at a time. I have a food processor I almost never use, a blender I only use for baking (that I've done quite well without, until I got one as a gift for Xmas.. Only used it twice), and a lot of knives and spatulas and wooden spoons. Just start shopping intelligently and stop buying bulk portions of poo poo you can't eat quickly enough.

If you feel the need to drop money on hugely-wasteful non-recyclable poo poo like vacuum seal freezer bags well, good for you but don't pretend like it's necessary or even a time saver. Stop shopping at Costco unless you've got a family of five to feed, or a food truck. Or just go to the costco "tips" thread instead, where everybody will :fap: at the idea of vacuum-sealing all of their pre-made, frozen chicken-parm so they can throw the big bag out.

Hi. Costco owns. Well, cya.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

Ron Jeremy posted:

Yeah don't neglect the bone. Roast it in a hot oven to get browning on the skin then throw em in a crock pot bone in. Let em fully cook, then shred a little bit and cook me some more to get all the goodness out of the bones and connective tissue. Then shred and save the meat and broth.

Sounds good to me! Nothing makes rice taste better than using broth instead of plain water. Should I still roast the bones if they've already been cooked? And if so for how long, about? Either way, I'll probably toss them in with the usual suspects. Got a cookbook a bit ago that recommended saving the ends and such of onions, carrots, celery, peppers, mushrooms, and the like in a bag in the freezer, and its almost full. Super cheap homemade stock!

Also I should mention I do own a vac-seal device, but it was a birthday gift. I honestly still use freezer bags and plastic storage containers more than the vac seal thing, but it is nice to have around whenever whole chickens go on sale ( I get two or four, split them into ten parts per two- four breasts, four leg/thigh combos, one pack of eight wing sections, and one pack of four tenderloins. And of course the stock from the backbone, ribs, neck, and last wing joints ).

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I don't think thighs really gain a whole lot by roasting the bones. Wings otoh, those are worth roasting.

And yes, throw all those aromatics in. Garlic too. Peppercorns, bay leaf, all that good stuff.

I was thinking though that you had a bunch of thighs. Cook the thighs, then shred them, then put the thigh bones back in with whatever carcass bits you have in your freezer saved from whole chickens and make a big batch of stock.

After I'm done and the batch is cooled, I like to freeze the stock in ice cube trays them put those into a freezer bag.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Rurutia posted:

30ish pounds of chicken skin in bone in chicken thighs

1. Sear off your chicken in a pan.

That's a helluva pan.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

So I cooked a duck for the first time. I'd bought it on a whim and had it in my freezer for awhile, but I'm about to move so I'm emptying my fridge.

It's ok. I love that the breast meat is actually good by itself, unlike chicken. The skin had a sheath of fat attached that tastes kinda fishy and is super rich but still good to work a little into a bite of the actual meat.

The bones are way more dense and take up much more of the bird than I'd expected. A chicken's weight is mostly meat, but I'd say this duck's bones make up maybe half of its weight.

I think I'll stick to whole chickens except for special occasions, but it was a nice experiment.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Rendered duck fat is magical on roast potatoes, though. And the carcass makes awesome stock.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Where do you even get your ducks from? Here in Western New York, we have tons of wild ones, but no one except the big chain stores sells them, and they're already cooked in most cases and like $$$/lb.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

Where do you even get your ducks from? Here in Western New York, we have tons of wild ones, but no one except the big chain stores sells them, and they're already cooked in most cases and like $$$/lb.

I live in Mississippi, so it was a regional chain called Rouses. I bought it so long ago I don't remember the price, but I'll try to remember to check if I go by there tonight.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

neogeo0823 posted:

I'd be a bit worried about buying duck from a chain store, why not just look up a local butcher? A lot of the better butchers will have all kinds of exotic meats. Most of the duck I consume comes from asian markets where they're already cooked up and ready to go, though - it's one of those things I just can't resist getting once or twice a year.

I used to bird hunt but so many waterfowl spend so much time eating stuff out of urban mud puddles full of all kinds of chemicals and heavy metals, that I'm personally pretty leery of hunting and then consuming them, and would feel safer consuming a farm-bred one.

Also ducks are fun to raise and their eggs are good, so that's always an option.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
I would love to move to some place far enough out that I could raise rabbits and ducks for meat/pelts/eggs/ and/or pets. Though I don't think I could afford it on my current budget. Maybe something worth looking into though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Where do you live? Ducks ought to be pretty simple to raise in an urban setting, and you only need a hutch maybe 2'x2' or 3'x3' wide and deep for rabbits, you can even installa tray below it so the poop falls though and you can toss it into the trash (or compost bin if you have one, great compost.)

I'd imagine there's a lot less urban laws against raising backyard ducks than chickens, because roosters seem to make some ppl homicidal.

edit: I can't eat rabbit though, because I grew up raising them and the sound of them being slaughtered all day long, kind of broke me for eating them.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 24, 2016

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Charlotte NC- that is to say, tons of locations just within an hour's drive that I could probably refurbish for raising animals. But I'd want the property to have a pond, because c'mon, ducks need a pond. I may be lazy but pretty sure if fed the ducks could mostly take care of themselves and putting the rabbits in a garage would be just fine if I also put some fans in there for the hotter summer months. ...dangit now I am seriously considering it.

also some friends of my brother have some chickens inside town. Apparently the local laws forbid roosters but they're fine with having a few hens. They're forever giving away eggs.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Tar_Squid posted:

Charlotte NC- that is to say, tons of locations just within an hour's drive that I could probably refurbish for raising animals. But I'd want the property to have a pond, because c'mon, ducks need a pond. I may be lazy but pretty sure if fed the ducks could mostly take care of themselves and putting the rabbits in a garage would be just fine if I also put some fans in there for the hotter summer months. ...dangit now I am seriously considering it.

also some friends of my brother have some chickens inside town. Apparently the local laws forbid roosters but they're fine with having a few hens. They're forever giving away eggs.
I know some folks with urban ducks in their backyards in Portland - you could easily get away with a kiddy pool and an enclosed backyard imho, and tame ducks are fun as heck to have around (although waterfowl turds are super greasy and nasty and will wreck your carpet if you track it inside.)

If you really feel awful about keeping the ducks without somewhere to tool around in the water and eat stuff, you can find a local pond/garden/fish store, and buy some watercress plants or something and float them in the kiddy pool ( clip their wings on one side though, if you do both many fowl will power their way over a fence eventually, unless they have lopsided wings). At that point your main concern is nocturnal predators - I'm not sure if racoons will jump a duck, but they could be attracted to the kiddie pool. ;)

I've never looked up what kind of enclosure you want for ducks (esp. in the winter), but if you purchase some chicks/eggs in the spring they ought to be mature enough for slaughtering for meat by the time it gets cold/snowy enough to worry about them.

Also from the personal experience of slaughtering a few score poultry and other fowl, when you get ready to do the deed, get a funnel (like that Sarah Palin video where she's being interviewed at a turkey farm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbiVoYGPHaA&t=52s ) and stick them in head first - you don't need to hold the wings and hang them, and they won't be able to bruise up themselves (and thus the meat) because the cone will keep them from flopping. God I wish my family had known that before we tried to whack the head off a 40+ lb tom turkey and it beat the poo poo out of all of us while spraying blood everywhere with half a head! Assume and prepare for the worst, and it won't happen. ;)

Birds are a lot easier and a lot less upsetting to kill than rabbits. If you have young kids - don't kill rabbits when they're home. For reals.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 24, 2016

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I guess I couldn't be a farmer, since I feel like spending more than a few months with most animals would endear them to me enough to make it difficult for me to kill them. I could definitely raise and kill a goose though, hateful creatures that they are. Catfish are as delicious as they are bastards too.

edit: to be honest, that's mostly if I only have a couple. If I had a hundred cows, it'd probably be pretty easy to kill some

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
My neighbors in my first place in Chicago had chickens and a rooster and I would have personally wrung that rooster's neck if I ever found it. The hens I would come across frequently just hanging out in the grassy area between the sidewalk and relatively busy street.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pharmaskittle posted:

I guess I couldn't be a farmer, since I feel like spending more than a few months with most animals would endear them to me enough to make it difficult for me to kill them. I could definitely raise and kill a goose though, hateful creatures that they are. Catfish are as delicious as they are bastards too.

edit: to be honest, that's mostly if I only have a couple. If I had a hundred cows, it'd probably be pretty easy to kill some
Here's a kind of fun and interesting interview with a "hipneck" who tends to turn all of his livestock into pets. He talks about the emotional connection a lot. http://www.rumblestripvermont.com/2016/03/a-beer-with-ben-hewitt/

Mainly it comes down to a willingness to accept your own place in the food chain, as well as that of your livestock. Even a reverence and love is totally acceptable and reasonable way to go about slaughtering your stock animals however, it's definitely not for everybody. My family always hired out our pigs to be slaughtered because they were both too large for us to do ourselves with our limited expertise, and because my parents didn't feel comfortable doing a poor job of putting them down.

I feel much more comfortable eating a burger knowing that I have no hangups about cows being killed and eaten and also knowing that I've participated in the deaths of probably well over a hundred or two hundred animals which provided food for me, growing up. There's probably a good way to kill rabbits without them screaming, but my folks didn't really grok what effect it'd have on a kindergartner to hear them screaming as they died, dozens of times in a day, every few months.. I mean I dislike rabbits and am allergic to them but the cries were truly awful.

I'll shoot a pheasant in a heartbeat, and I'd go goose or duck hunting as well - I'd just probably give the meat away because there's so much toxic poo poo in the local rivers and ponds etc, that I wouldn't want to eat the waterfowl (I'll eat the poo poo out of that pheasant though, my favorite fowl by far).. So I just kind of gave up on hunting mainly. I love fishing for stocked trout and for salmon, though.. One's "freebie" meat that is an invasive species, and one's the highest meat to weight ratio of any fish, despite me wasting huge amounts of money chasing them around every year. ;)

This is probably fodder for another or a new thread though. Raising some fryer chickens in your yard is totally cheap and sustainable off of nothing but kitchen scraps and some cast-off lumber to make a coop, but slaughtering pigs and sheep and turkeys goes into the "work" territory where you are putting so much work and time into it that you need to be doing it as an act of love for either yourself or your family or the animals themselves.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 24, 2016

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Here's a kind of fun and interesting interview with a "hipneck" who tends to turn all of his livestock into pets. He talks about the emotional connection a lot. http://www.rumblestripvermont.com/2016/03/a-beer-with-ben-hewitt/

Mainly it comes down to a willingness to accept your own place in the food chain, as well as that of your livestock. Even a reverence and love is totally acceptable and reasonable way to go about slaughtering your stock animals however, it's definitely not for everybody. My family always hired out our pigs to be slaughtered because they were both too large for us to do ourselves with our limited expertise, and because my parents didn't feel comfortable doing a poor job of putting them down.

I feel much more comfortable eating a burger knowing that I have no hangups about cows being killed and eaten and also knowing that I've participated in the deaths of probably well over a hundred or two hundred animals which provided food for me, growing up. There's probably a good way to kill rabbits without them screaming, but my folks didn't really grok what effect it'd have on a kindergartner to hear them screaming as they died, dozens of times in a day, every few months.. I mean I dislike rabbits and am allergic to them but the cries were truly awful.

I'll shoot a pheasant in a heartbeat, and I'd go goose or duck hunting as well - I'd just probably give the meat away because there's so much toxic poo poo in the local rivers and ponds etc, that I wouldn't want to eat the waterfowl (I'll eat the poo poo out of that pheasant though, my favorite fowl by far).. So I just kind of gave up on hunting mainly. I love fishing for stocked trout and for salmon, though.. One's "freebie" meat that is an invasive species, and one's the highest meat to weight ratio of any fish, despite me wasting huge amounts of money chasing them around every year. ;)

This is probably fodder for another or a new thread though. Raising some fryer chickens in your yard is totally cheap and sustainable off of nothing but kitchen scraps and some cast-off lumber to make a coop, but slaughtering pigs and sheep and turkeys goes into the "work" territory where you are putting so much work and time into it that you need to be doing it as an act of love for either yourself or your family or the animals themselves.

Good link. I grew up in Mississippi, so I'm very comfortable with guns and killing wild animals, but the idea of raising them and being familiar with them on a smaller scale puts me off. I've never tried it, but I know that I'm a big animal lover. I'll treat a dog almost as well as I will a person, since they're our evolution buddies, but I also go out of my way to help turtles and even frogs from being hurt unnecessarily. I have zero qualms with stock animals being slaughtered, but I dunno if I'd want to do it if I were raising, say, a pig every day to kill them after a year or whatever. If you brought me a goat and said, "hey kill this and you can have the meat," I'd go for it in a second because that poo poo is delicious. I'd have difficulty if I'd raised it myself.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
I guess I am weird, because for me I don't really think there's an issue with raising and killing animals for meat. Honestly I would almost prefer it just because then I would know for sure they ate good food and had an enjoyable life. As far as raising them in town goes, I'd have to make sure they'd be safe from possums, raccoons, and coyotes. All three of which I have seen within city limits at night. And also other humans intent on being jerks.

My granddad also raised rabbits back around the Korean War era- and he showed me how to kill them fast, using a rabbit wringer. No screaming!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah, we just wrung them by hand. I'd probably just use a .22 or a cleaver if it were up to me.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Good link. I grew up in Mississippi, so I'm very comfortable with guns and killing wild animals, but the idea of raising them and being familiar with them on a smaller scale puts me off. I've never tried it, but I know that I'm a big animal lover. I'll treat a dog almost as well as I will a person, since they're our evolution buddies, but I also go out of my way to help turtles and even frogs from being hurt unnecessarily. I have zero qualms with stock animals being slaughtered, but I dunno if I'd want to do it if I were raising, say, a pig every day to kill them after a year or whatever. If you brought me a goat and said, "hey kill this and you can have the meat," I'd go for it in a second because that poo poo is delicious. I'd have difficulty if I'd raised it myself.
Yeah that's why I mentioned doing it with love and reverence. You raise an animal and give it the best life you can and feel safe and satisfied in the knowledge that they had a better life than they would have if you'd bought their carcass from most places you could buy them (I mean I'm way more horrified by seeing a cat play with a bird or mouse, even though it's even more natural!) It's just a circle of life thing. I guess after growing up on a farm, it almost seems to be anthropomorphizing, to think about becoming so emotionally attached to a chicken or pig or some other animal that I couldn't do the deed.. And god, I read Charlotte's Web 10 times as a child!

We raised cheap fryers for a couple years and it was actually kind of horrid, those big fat white fryer birds often have deformed feet and legs and wings and they really can barely survive on their own. I had no problem whacking them but I'd personally feel a lot better about giving them a healthy and full life, than raising some of the weird, "ideal" breeds which you can raise for meat.

I really love chickens https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlcocVRQAaI

Pigs, eh, I'm leery of any animal that could potentially knock me down and kick me to death, and since I always had to clean the pig sty when I was when I was small, I kind of have an underlying terror of their beady, watchful eyes, while I'm clomping around in 8 inch-deep mud that threatens to trip me and steal my boots.. Emus are truly terrifying, one almost killed my dad with its spurs by catching him in the groin and almost laying open his femoral artery (after it jumped a 10 foot fence during a thunderstorm). Amazingly good meat, though.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 24, 2016

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Geese are delicious for just that reason. Kill those ornery fuckers and roast them up.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Ron Jeremy posted:

Geese are delicious for just that reason. Kill those ornery fuckers and roast them up.

Canadian geese and other migratory waterfowl are protected and can not be killed without permit. Just FYI before y'all go wrangle up some 'free' goose.

Also, best way to dispatch a rabbit is the broomstick method. Except I use a cut-off bit of rebar. No scream, no mess. Quick and clean and respectful.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

Canadian geese and other migratory waterfowl are protected and can not be killed without permit. Just FYI before y'all go wrangle up some 'free' goose.

Also, best way to dispatch a rabbit is the broomstick method. Except I use a cut-off bit of rebar. No scream, no mess. Quick and clean and respectful.

Canada Geese :mad:

And the best way to dispatch a rabbit is to get one of these:

You just put the neck between those two bars and pull down.

You can put it high enough and throw a bucket under it to gut/bleed it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Canada Geese :mad:

And the best way to dispatch a rabbit is to get one of these:

You just put the neck between those two bars and pull down.

You can put it high enough and throw a bucket under it to gut/bleed it.
I don't really see how this is more effective or would stop them from screeching any less than using two hands and doing a "pull n pop?"

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Yes.

Also a friendly reminder to check your local ordinances before deciding that raising livestock is a good idea in an urban environment.

Was looking at hens in the city of Milwaukee; doable but we would have to have signed approval of all our neighbors (ugh), there are rules about what housing they can have (fair enough), and we are not allowed to slaughter them. Absurd.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

If you like meat, have a freezer, and hate spending gobs of money, then go to a meat wholesaler.

If your town has a halfway decent restaurant scene, you probably have a couple to choose from. They have weird hours, so check the times before you go.

Anyways, go down to the store, and buy $50 of whatever looks good. Take it home and freeze it. Defrost a portion each morning, come home and eat like a king!

Should last you 3 months easy if you're not a hambeast.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Goddamn I was pissed today. I took out my last tub of frozen potato leek soup the other day and was having a cleaning party (my friends and I get together and do chores on each others' places every once in a while - it's super obnoxious to clean behind the oven for instance, and we don't all have the same tools etc, so yardwork is a snap with more hands and a couple extra tools.) My friend (who was wearing filthy rubber gloves covered in roundup and various grunge from an hour's worth of weeding) looked in the tub of slightly-frosty-on-top soup and stuck her finger in it, all the way to the last knuckle because she thought it was all forzen solid and also forgot she was wearing the filthy, chemical-covered gloves. I had to go take them out to lunch instead of heating up soup and some nice garlic bread etc. :saddowns:

The next pot of soup will be better - I went full stone soup on it, and threw in kale, potatoes, leeks, a 24 oz can of cheap beer, brown rice, cabbage, carrots, the last of my corned beef because it was not going to be good in a couple days anyway...

But still, I hate throwing out ~60+ oz of soup that I'd been planning on eating, and which was totally fine until somebody got a bunch dirt and poisonous chemicals in it.

TheNothingNew posted:

Yes.

Also a friendly reminder to check your local ordinances before deciding that raising livestock is a good idea in an urban environment.

Was looking at hens in the city of Milwaukee; doable but we would have to have signed approval of all our neighbors (ugh), there are rules about what housing they can have (fair enough), and we are not allowed to slaughter them. Absurd.
There are rules about owning a dog as well. For instance, it cannot bark for more than 20 minutes in my city, or that's a citable offense. Also, if it's left outdoors for 24 hours without shelter as well.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 30, 2016

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

coyo7e posted:

Potato Leek soup recipe:

1 bunch leeks (2 or 3 nice-sized leeks, pull away the outer layer, split down the middle and rinsed, then chopped finely - skip the darker green portions as they don't cook down as well.)
3 or 4 medium to large potatoes, peeled and diced.
1 can beer (or a half can of good beer)
chives/green onions
garlic
1 can of chicken/beef/etc stock/broth
couple boullion cubes
a couple ounces of finely-chopped bacon or similar
couple bay leaves
parsely, thyme, rosemary if you've got them available.
piece of celery if you happen to have it around but not entirely necessary.

finely chop the leeks (you can use a food processor but if they are fully cooked and you didn't cut up the inedible parts, it doesn't matter really). Dice up the potatoes - smaller the better. Toss in a half or full beer, a couple boullion cubes, and some stock, and all the herbs - toss in the bacon/etc anywhere along this process (you can even cook it in the bottom of the pan first but I drain off the grease and move them into the pot after). Add water until it's all covered. Cook for a couple hours, make sure to taste the broth occasionally and add what you feel is necessary, as needed.

Once it's cooked down and the potatoes are falling apart, the leeks will also be cooked through to the point they are almost jelly, you're golden. Hit it with a potato masher if you like, or skip that. Either way just add in a cup or two of milk/yogurt (yogurt adds a lot tangier flavor but it's really good as well), mix it until it gets all thick and creamy after a couple minutes, and serve. I like to put shredded parmesan on top as a garnish, and serve with garlic bread or english muffins or a sourdough.

This is a tough recipe to mess up if you take a sip from it every 20 or 40 minutes, and don't keep it on the heat too long after finally adding the dairy. I have yet to see a need to throw in butter but if you want a :btroll: recipe you're welcome to add it as well - I am not super fond of butter, it's not super healthy, and it's usually overused in my experience.

If the bacon wasn't cooked to overdone, there may be wiggly chunks of fat throughout. I hate that texture of biting into fat, so I err on the sid eof "cook the bacon till the fat is solidified, it'll reconstitute and soften up again after being tossed into a soup for 2 hours."

Easy as hell recipe, most of the ones online call for 20+ ounces of chicken broth or the like, which is both expensive and and lazy. Maybe one can of broth, then top off the rest of the fluids to taste with boullion cubes, water, and a beer, and spices.

Yes, the best solution to "I'm poor and have issues cooking affordably," is to of course buy a $100+ device with expensive refills. :ughh:

Made this tonight with ham instead of bacon. Pro choice. Girlfriend is currently unconscious from potato coma. My only personal critique is that I used too much homemade chicken stock, so the delicious chicken stock flavor overpowered the potatoes and leeks. Still great , but I'll see how it gels tomorrow. Would recommend.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Trip report. Porto leek soup is even better on day 2. We used unflavored yogurt in it, but other than that, there's not much fat. So how does this taste so rich? Please, if you are poor and want comfort food, make this potato leek soup. I cannot endorse it enough.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I am making chicken stock right now but I'm also running out of freezer space.

Can I pressure can home made stock with a 15 lbs and have it shelf stable out of refrigerator?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yes, I pressure can stock. Takes like an hour or something, though. But it's worth it because then the stock just sits in your pantry until you need it.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So I just started reading this thread and realized that the tips in the beginning are about five years old. Overall is there a general shopping list for if I want to make good food cheap? I know that sounds vague, but I'd like to start home making as much as I can and I'm trying to eat healthier. Also, with a family of four, cooking in bulk is something that would help a lot too.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
New recipe, based on my mom's salmon patty/salmon burger recipe that I grew up eating.. I went to the store a few weeks ago and they were selling 14.75 oz cans of salmon for $1.99 each :supaburn: so I bought as many as I could afford, and made salmon patties. Then when I ran out of canned salmon I remembered that I had a buttload of home-canned tuna that is from 2014, and I really have always ever known to just mash it up with celery and mayo and maybe some pickle relish, but I adjusted my recipe a bit and ended up making pretty darned good tuna burgers/patties as well!

Salmon patties/burgers recipe:
-green onion/chives
-canned salmon (storebought cans always seem to be 14.75 oz)
-1-2 eggs per can
-breadcrumbs/panko (panko is the japanese version of breadcrumbs. it's kinda salty like a lot of japanese/asian staples to DO NOT salt this recipe unless you're crazy)
-maybe some parmesan or feta cheese, etc if you wanna get fancy.

Drain the can of salmon, dump the meat in a decent-sized mixing bowl (ignore the bones, they're edible and tasty). Mash it up a little, then throw in the onions/chives/cheese, fold it a few times until it's mixed in evenly. Then add some bread crumbs and fold them in, a little at a time. Crack in an egg and mix it all together until you get a kind of pasty texture that holds together well.. If it is dry and falls apart, crack in another egg and maybe some more breadcrumbs, then form into patties. (I form the patties on saran wrap and freeze most of them immediately). Fry in a skillet until golden brown, serve with ketchup or whatever you like, I like some lemon-juice-steamed veggies, and rice. Or just throw it on buns and eat them like a burger.. Pickles aren't the best condiment because they're awful salty.

For tuna, you can do the same but it may end up drier than the salmon tends to be due to lower fat content.. When you fry them I suggest covering them with a lid to keep in some of the moisture, and you might need an extra egg.

bartlebee posted:

Made this tonight with ham instead of bacon. Pro choice. Girlfriend is currently unconscious from potato coma. My only personal critique is that I used too much homemade chicken stock, so the delicious chicken stock flavor overpowered the potatoes and leeks. Still great , but I'll see how it gels tomorrow. Would recommend.
Great, I'm glad it worked out so well for you! This has quickly become one of my favorite standby recipes and I usually immediately freeze half of it, and eat the rest for one meal every other day so it doesn't get too boring from eating soup for a week and a half. ;)

I don't think I mentioned this before but if you want to really add a nice heartiness, you can toss in some barley or wild/brown/etc rice, it really adds a nice chew to the meal overall, to the point you won't necessarily want bread or something to chew on (figured this one out by tossing in some leftover brown rice pilaf I had gotten sick of eating and it revitalized both the soup and the rice and made it :giggity: .

This is definitely a recipe that's an easy vegetarian meal as well - I didn't even mention bacon/meat in the ingredients in general because it's kind of an afterthough to mainly add chew to it.

Now that I know how easy potato-leek soup is to toss together half-assedly, I'm looking forward to beer-cheese soup and french onion soup, because a 5 lb bag of onions is almost as cheap as potatoes, and like a bag cheap bag of potatoes, I often end up having half of them get wrinkly and mean and/or sprout before I can use them up!

Or, just add some clams and make a *killer* clam chowder.. ;)

Elblanco posted:

So I just started reading this thread and realized that the tips in the beginning are about five years old. Overall is there a general shopping list for if I want to make good food cheap? I know that sounds vague, but I'd like to start home making as much as I can and I'm trying to eat healthier. Also, with a family of four, cooking in bulk is something that would help a lot too.
There was a post or few about this, maybe 1-3 pages back.

The most important thing is to get all the herbs and spices you can, as cheaply as you can. I've even begun to purchase dried rosemary, parsley, and chives because it sucks to not have any fresh around, and the dried stuff works quite well in soups and pots of chicken/beef/etc stock.

Also I have always bought frozen beef bones at winco for dog treats however, I realized the other day that I can use them to make stock and then give them to the dog, and she likes them just as much as the raw+frozen ones. ;)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 5, 2016

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
New cheapo recipe I tried tonight and it turned out gangbusters.

2 cups jasmine rice
2-3 potatoes
3 tablespoons Massaman curry paste (I get it at a local Asian market for about 4-5$)
1 half white onion
1.5 cups milk
2 tbsps butter
1 tbsp brown sugar

Steam up the rice, let it sit. Steam the potatoes as well, and while they are steaming put the butter in a pot, grill the diced onion. When onions are grilled, stir in milk, curry paste, and sugar on medium/low heat.

When potatoes finish steaming, cut into 1/8 inch slices/pieces and then add to the pot. Stir and let the potatoes soak up a bit of the liquid. Serve content of the pot over rice.

SO good and crazy cheap.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Also I have always bought frozen beef bones at winco for dog treats however, I realized the other day that I can use them to make stock and then give them to the dog, and she likes them just as much as the raw+frozen ones. ;)

Do not do this. Never ever ever feed your dog (or any pet) cooked bones from meat--not ones you've boiled from stock, not ones from braised chicken thighs, not ones from beef stew, not even ones from a cooked lamb chop. Raw bones still have their gelatin and are flexible enough to be gnawed on without breaking; cooked bones are brittle and can shatter into shards that can hurt your pet's mouth or, worse, perforate their esophagus and organs if swallowed. It's not worth the thousands for a vet bill or a dead pet.