Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Drythe posted:

am i under space arrest?

I thought you were space judge "THE PRISONER WILL ANSWER THE QUESTION"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

dragonstalking posted:

I mean if you listen to Grath, his beef is more that these guys were consistently doing stupid poo poo, not that they lost isk.

Odd that it never became important enough for Grath to lose his poo poo all over them until they lost ISK and made the K:D ratio look bad though :v:

Daruna
Jul 3, 2011

Percelus posted:

To give everyone an idea of what the relationship is like between Pandemic Horde and Pandemic Legion, here is a snippet of their eve-o recruitment post https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=419055

"Our goal with this group is to not have it be a stepping stone for someone to simply progress into Waffles or Pandemic Legion, though Horde members could end up in either should they choose to pursue that."

"It is important to note that Horde does not pay fealty to Pandemic Legion, and makes the protection of it assets its own responsibility. This partnership with PL also allows new players to be on the PL side of a massive fight when the opportunity calls."

Hey guys you aren't paying tithes so you're not literal space serfs and if your poo poo gets set on fire tough poo poo, however if we need you guys to do bitchwork like entosising we'll call. Don't worry, if you tryhard enough one day you can fill out this sweet application we have and join our cool kids club :v:

Are the CFC the only ones allowed to have newbie groups then? Us elitePVP can't do it because we automatically exploit the free labour of hapless noobs?

Please.

There's a reason we (PL) don't go out of our way to defend Horde sov, and that's because hardship builds character. Yes it's cliche and silly as gently caress to say this about a videogame, or anything really, but Horde has had at least 3 separate sovnull homes, and has either been driven out or hilariously rused the hegemony of the day, but at the end of it all, Horde members get to experience the pros (and cons) of sovnull without turning out like all of you bloated and useless wastes of virtual space.

Horde members who join in a sovnull phase are regularly told to - and regularly experience - expect to lose the space they are currently living in, and act accordingly. They're perfectly free to ignore the warnings, but the ones who are smart and realize what Horde is all about are the ones who are set up for success, and the ones most likely to fit into Waffles or PL proper by virtue of Getting It.

Also Horde's at like 5500 members or something ridiculous Gobbins and the team must be doing something right

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Daruna posted:

Are the CFC the only ones allowed to have newbie groups then? Us elitePVP can't do it because we automatically exploit the free labour of hapless noobs?

Please.

There's a reason we (PL) don't go out of our way to defend Horde sov, and that's because hardship builds character. Yes it's cliche and silly as gently caress to say this about a videogame, or anything really, but Horde has had at least 3 separate sovnull homes, and has either been driven out or hilariously rused the hegemony of the day, but at the end of it all, Horde members get to experience the pros (and cons) of sovnull without turning out like all of you bloated and useless wastes of virtual space.

Horde members who join in a sovnull phase are regularly told to - and regularly experience - expect to lose the space they are currently living in, and act accordingly. They're perfectly free to ignore the warnings, but the ones who are smart and realize what Horde is all about are the ones who are set up for success, and the ones most likely to fit into Waffles or PL proper by virtue of Getting It.

Also Horde's at like 5500 members or something ridiculous Gobbins and the team must be doing something right

Percelus is a retard and doesn't speak on behalf of sensible goons. Just wanted to make that clear.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

vyst posted:

PL is elitist/classist, PH is not. That's literally the bottom line. GSF doesn't have that separation between GoonWaffe/KarmaFleet.

Why am I replying to hands down the shittiest pubbie poster itt I have no idea, bored at work I guess.

PL isn't that hard to get into, odds are most people older than 2-3 years in eve know at least one friend that lives there now that would throw a vouch.

I mean provided you do more than just sit in dek ratting and your kb is more than just a long string of ishtar losses.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
6100 they've added like 1000 members in the last ten days

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Endie posted:

I thought you were space judge "THE PRISONER WILL ANSWER THE QUESTION"

You were under space arrest???

Space bail is set at 10 billion isk

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

vyst posted:

Percelus is a retard and doesn't speak on behalf of sensible goons. Just wanted to make that clear.

I explained that to people who were asking "who the gently caress is the Percelus dummy?" on irc. I had to do the same about Zephyrine a couple of days ago.

Daruna
Jul 3, 2011

Percelus posted:

Did I forget to mention Sniggwaffe? There is a middle child to this family, they're more of a farm team for Pandemic Legion. https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=266074

"What YOU can expect from Sniggwaffe:
We are a PVP training corp, and the recruitment corp for Sniggerdly. There's no passive aggression here. You screw up you will be told about it in no uncertain terms. This is how you get better. The reason most people are as bad as they are is because, either no-one tells them, or they refuse to accept it. That doesn’t fly here in either way.

We couldn’t care less how awesome you think you are because, when you get in here, you start at zero. In fact, from our eyes, the only thing different between most carebears and so-called "elite PvPers" is the fact that the carebears we recruit at least know how bad they are. So yeah, we will take people from all sorts of different backgrounds, tear them down to nothing, and build them up to something that may one day be worth Sniggs interest. Don't expect to get into Snigg, not everyone does, and a lot get trolled out or get their caps awoxed because they are terrible. There are only a handful of people in EVE that can get in directly, and most of them are already there. This is the only way for anyone else."

Waffles are uplifted but not yet in the club, unlike a hordling they are expected to one day graduate. Yes, the people we are fighting have a farm team like they're some professional sports team. When you look at Pandemic Legion, Sniggwaffe, and Pandemic Horde as a whole, it's like a caste system or feudalism with the nobles lording over their men at arms and the lowly conscripts.

Want to kill these dorks yet?

did I bite on this retarded troll :ohdear:

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Drythe posted:

You were under space arrest???

Space bail is set at 10 billion isk

You can't do that to me I'm appealing.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

PL isn't that hard to get into, odds are most people older than 2-3 years in eve know at least one friend that lives there now that would throw a vouch.

I mean provided you do more than just sit in dek ratting and your kb is more than just a long string of ishtar losses.

The vouch system is by nature elitist you butte.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Endie posted:

You can't do that to me I'm appealing.

space overruled

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Daruna posted:

Please.

The difference is our newbie friendly groups are treated as equal members. They can fly in mainfleet, join any sig, and generally live life like a goon. The only thing different for them is the paplink requirement, but which group doesn't purge inactives.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vyst posted:

Are they retarded in the sense that they think they're being ~master trolls~, or retarded in the sense that they actually believe the sperg poo poo they're posting?

Endie posted:

I explained that to people who were asking "who the gently caress is the Percelus dummy?" on irc. I had to do the same about Zephyrine a couple of days ago.

Zephyrine is a cool person. I forget which other lovely MMO it was but they were chill in the Goon guild for it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

Are they retarded in the sense that they think they're being ~master trolls~, or retarded in the sense that they actually believe the sperg poo poo they're posting?

Yes.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

vyst posted:

In the same way it was when goonfleet was "SA posts or get a vouch", sure. It doesn't necessarily guarantee anything about quality. It's largely about trust and whether you will constantly start drama.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Percelus posted:

The difference is our newbie friendly groups are treated as equal members. They can fly in mainfleet, join any sig, and generally live life like a goon. The only thing different for them is the paplink requirement, but which group doesn't purge inactives.

I dunno, I was inactive for over a year in waffe and never got purged

Daruna
Jul 3, 2011

Percelus posted:

Casuals and newbies (you know, the main demographic of Horde and arguably of any free, open-recruitment newbie-centric group) can't exactly use Rattlesnakes or Black Ops or T3HACS or whatever else we use.

There's also the security concern of having Literally Anyone joining our comms and relaying information to you people. We KINDA take security a little seriously, it's our thing.

This "feudal" thing you're harping on about only seems to be an issue to you and yours. Horde doesn't give a poo poo, mainly because they do their own thing on their own time. To say we don't care about them is hilarious and dumb. You're dumb. Stop it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Endie posted:

In the same way it was when goonfleet was "SA posts or get a vouch", sure. It doesn't necessarily guarantee anything about quality. It's largely about trust and whether you will constantly start drama.

I disagree. The SA posts requirement was to halt the ability to people to pay 10bux and immediately join. Anyone that says otherwise is fooling themselves. It's basically an effort gate. It's not the same as "having to know someone" to join a spaceguild. I don't consider effort gating to be elitism as you have no social barriers to entry. I ran the auth team for 3 years. Do you honestly think I analyzed all 100+ posts people did? I checked the count, and if they shotgun shitposted. That's it.

I'm not saying what PL does is wrong. They have Sniggwaffe to some extent and PH for their newbies. But it's still a form of elitism all the same. There's also an argument to be made that PL has found a lot of it's success via their recruitment strategy. The quintessential quality vs quantity scenario.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Daruna posted:

Please.

Hypothetical - If PL had a bunch of csaas reinforced, would they call in PH to defend them; and If PH had a bunch of csaas under siege, would PL come defend them.

Daruna
Jul 3, 2011

vyst posted:

Maybe back in 2007, but now at least here in Sniggerdly the vouch system is there to prevent assholes from getting in.

Eve isn't nearly as complex as it was back then (if it ever was that complex) and sadly numbers rule the day. Our vouching is less about "are you good at Eve Online??" and more about "are you a cool guy? Are you not a human being? Will you fit in here?" Our application form reflects this attitude by not having a single Eve mechanics question on it.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Daruna posted:

did I bite on this retarded troll :ohdear:

I'm not sure it's a troll, that level of butthurt comes only from clear conviction in the righteousness of one's cause.

vyst posted:

PL is elitist/classist, PH is not. That's literally the bottom line. GSF doesn't have that separation between GoonWaffe/KarmaFleet.

Why am I replying to hands down the shittiest pubbie poster itt I have no idea, bored at work I guess.

This is actually one of the big reasons I went with Goonwaffe over PH (I wasn't going to just default to GSF because I am a goonygoon).

Daruna
Jul 3, 2011

Percelus posted:

Hypothetical - If PL had a bunch of csaas reinforced, would they call in PH to defend them; and If PH had a bunch of csaas under siege, would PL come defend them.

Why the gently caress would Horde, a newbie alliance who doesn't ever go above Battleship size (if they even get to Battleships), have loving CSAAs?

Why the gently caress would PL have CSAAs? Anyone who builds supers does it on their own, presumably in a renter alliance or some poo poo god shut up you're stupid

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

vyst posted:

I disagree. The SA posts requirement was to halt the ability to people to pay 10bux and immediately join. Anyone that says otherwise is fooling themselves. It's basically an effort gate. It's not the same as "having to know someone" to join a spaceguild. I don't consider effort gating to be elitism as you have no social barriers to entry. I ran the auth team for 3 years. Do you honestly think I analyzed all 100+ posts people did? I checked the count, and if they shotgun shitposted. That's it.

I'm not saying what PL does is wrong. They have Sniggwaffe to some extent and PH for their newbies. But it's still a form of elitism all the same. There's also an argument to be made that PL has found a lot of it's success via their recruitment strategy. The quintessential quality vs quantity scenario.

No, I wasn't talking about the normal way in: I was talking about the fact that there was always the vouch alternative, which is what you were talking about explicitly.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i, too, cannot see the difference between vouching as an option and vouching as the only option

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Endie posted:

No, I wasn't talking about the normal way in: I was talking about the fact that there was always the vouch alternative, which is what you were talking about explicitly.

Right but it was an alternative. It was a fast track mechanism. It wasn't the primary way of getting in.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

vyst posted:

This is different from what I said how?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Nerds, including goons, will always be elitist about something

"Lol you fly with SMA"

"Lol you post on Reddit"

"Lol you post in the anime forums"

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Morris posted:

This is actually one of the big reasons I went with Goonwaffe over PH (I wasn't going to just default to GSF because I am a goonygoon).

Yeah I can see the issue with some people viewing Horde as a "second tier" crew but in general that's just now how the relationship works out in practice. Lots of the PL guys like and hang out with the Horde guys but there's barriers in place to protect stuff for both groups because EVE is a game where if you're not careful you can get hosed. It's why a newbie in GSF won't be given POS passwords or supercap fleet pings, or whatever on their first day. Granted PL/PH do it differently but that's just a matter of GSF & PanFam having different methods to approach the same issue.

Ultimately who loving cares? It's a video game and if both Horde newbies are having fun and GSF newbies are having fun then both groups are doing a good job at what their trying to do.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Tusen Takk posted:

Nerds, including goons, will always be elitist about something

"Lol you fly with SMA"

"Lol you post on Reddit"

"Lol you post in the anime forums"

anime is good thx

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

Siets posted:

Hey is this nonsciolist? I think I may have asked you about it in jabber one time. I guess it mostly makes sense to me now, I'm just a little fuzzy on the initial "where do I choose to set up shop?" constellation/faction picking part.

Obviously I want a good return on ISK for my LP so I check various sites and tools to confirm that. If I want to minimize the number of carriers I need, how would I go about doing that? What I'm fuzzy on is how missions spawn in a constellation. I thought it was just "L5's can only spawn in lowsec, so pick a L5 agent that lives in a constellation that is mostly highsec with just a few lowsec systems." But then some dude came along and was like "naw there's some mystical voodoo ~geography~ element to the mission spawning" and now I'm all confused again because my Googling on this turns up nothing. I wish people would just explain themselves the first time rather than leave me hanging like the latest TWD finale. :saddowns:

Yeah, that's me. The blitzable L5s will never spawn outside the agent's constellation and always in lowsec. Agent system sec status affects payout (I think it's something like 10% less per 0.1 but i don't know exactly.) Lower sec=better. There is some voodoo regarding certain missions being more likely to spawn in certain systems) but it doesn't factor into how you set up. You'll just notice a patterns you can't really take advantage of after a while.

I picked placid because at the time there was no fatigue and I could blops between fd- and missions and moving is too much effort now.

Basically just consider how hot the system is and your travel time between missions. Personally I'd never set up somewhere with more than two jumps between agent and furthest mission system, preferably one jump max if you want to scale it up to a couple of carrier guys and a handful of standing alts.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

Yeah I can see the issue with some people viewing Horde as a "second tier" crew but in general that's just now how the relationship works out. Lots of the PL guys like and hang out with the Horde guys but there's barriers in place to protect stuff because EVE is a game where if you're not careful you can get hosed. It's why a newbie in GSF won't be given POS passwords or supercap fleet ping access on day one. Granted PL/PH do it differently but that's just a matter of both groups figuring out what they think is the better method to approach the same issue.

Ultimately who loving cares? It's a video game and if both Horde newbies are having fun and GSF newbies are having fun then both groups are doing a good job at what their trying to do.

It's possible to not care and still discuss it and compare it against alternatives ITT.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
What are formup times like in the cfc these days?

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009
considering how much pubbies jerk off to the prospect of getting in pl Im not faulting them for for putting up barriers to entry. they exist to keep out the straight from highsec publords, the permanently unteachable and toxic shitlers. over in gsf these people just join karmafleet and everyone gets to deal with clay hakaari

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Daruna posted:

Maybe back in 2007, but now at least here in Sniggerdly the vouch system is there to prevent assholes from getting in.

Eve isn't nearly as complex as it was back then (if it ever was that complex) and sadly numbers rule the day. Our vouching is less about "are you good at Eve Online??" and more about "are you a cool guy? Are you not a human being? Will you fit in here?" Our application form reflects this attitude by not having a single Eve mechanics question on it.

Yeah In the last couple of weeks I've had about 12 or 14 really good Eve players (judging by their kbs and in some cases what I know of them) approach me who didn't have vouches, and whom I had to advise not to apply. If PL recruited on just ability criteria then they'd mostly be in. But they didn't have vouches, so a couple of them were probably spies, maybe another couple would have been prone to starting poo poo in alliance irc or sulking when someone shouted at them for anchoring on the FC in an inty or something like that. The vouch isn't "hey this guy is good at eve" it is "hey this guy is good company and won't make movie night a misery."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

scots have always had the option of subjugating themselves to the british throne, i don't see why a minority of them are upset that's their only option

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

vyst posted:

It's possible to not care and still discuss it and compare it against alternatives ITT.

Indeed. If we are reduced only to discussing things we actually care about then this will go back to being all angry and stuff and devolve into who is losing faster. The theoretical stuff we can agree to differ on is the glue that keeps the thread bearable.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

pugnax posted:

What are formup times like in the cfc these days?

the who

Daruna
Jul 3, 2011

those bee guys (from eve online)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Is eve fest still held in Ísland or dos they move it to Vegas? I just remembered that Spankys got on the H1Z1 mumble one night and was fuckin turnt up and talking about how great Vegas is

• Locked thread