Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Chairchucker posted:

Me, I hope it does, there's evidence in this very thread of a casual fan watching a match and having no idea who is who, and there is sure as hell enough zoom ins to get a decent look at the names if they are on their backs.
If only the commentators did their job of describing the play instead of trying to out-idiot each other...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I'm against names on guernseys. Purely for aesthetic reasons.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
In some situations it would actually be a good way for the casual fan to get into the game by asking, "who's number 9, he's shithouse" or whatever

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

In a lot of sports your number is also indicative of your position or role on the team as well. Not so much in footy though. When I played amateur footy the number was a direct correlation to the size of your jumper. 1 being the largest and often the ruckmen, 46 being the lowest and for the smallest player on the team.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

realbez posted:

Everyone has a smart phone, players names are a very quick google away

I don't have a smartphone and even if I did I wouldn't want to have to Google someone's name during the action.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

ask the guy next to you, boom you started a conversation and now you're learning more about footy

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Where do the names stop though? First it'll be on the jumpers, then on the shorts, then the socks, then the boots and then finally I'll be able to by Jake Stringer undies. Then your package will be covered by THE package.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

A good point was made though: If the commentators didn't spend half their time discussing what they had for lunch then smearing their fellow commentators, people might actually pick up on the names of players a bit easier. Imagine if they did that on the radio - You wouldn't have a loving clue what was going on.

I'm sure everyone knows who Ben McEvoy is.

Colour commentary is a cancer.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Negligent posted:

ask the guy next to you, boom you started a conversation and now you're learning more about footy

i did this and he said what the gently caress is a footy

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

"Dunno, something about eggs, big sticks and ocean corkage."

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Negligent posted:

I often watch on TV alone, just put the freaking names on the shirts.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The names are already on the shirts, it's the match guernseys we're discussing.

:q:

*squints* "what does his guernsey say? Koala Trash Nij?"

Is the AFL in HD yet?

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 5, 2016

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Where were all you jerks that don't want names when I was getting ridiculed for having that opinion last year!?

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
names are a good idea and i can get why you wouldn't be mega enthused over them but also why are people dying in a ditch about it, that's my opinion on names on guernseys

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Diet Crack posted:

The names are already on the shirts, it's the match guernseys we're discussing.

:q:

*squints* "what does his guernsey say? Koala Trash Nij?"

Is the AFL in HD yet?
They put the Grand Final on 7Mate last year but this year, back to smearovision on the main channel only.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

cmndstab posted:

That's just not true, though. The camera often zooms in on players. You get lots of replays where it becomes possible to see.

If you're a casual fan and you think "gee, that number 18 is having a hell of a match" you're probably not going to go and look him up. But if you then see a replay and his name comes into view, it'll help you to remember it.

It's not hard to come up with plenty of scenarios where it's helpful, and there is no argument that can be made that it detracts in any way from the spectacle. The additional cost of actually producing the guernseys is negligible, and they offer a big marketing opportunity for the clubs.

I can't comprehend why anyone would oppose it. Maybe those fans who own #32 guernseys for the Crows who now want to pretend it was bought for Troy Menzel might have cause for complaint, but that's about it.

Yea basically all of this. The broadcast zooms in on players all the time.

Forum Joe posted:

But... erm... Those are two American sports there, champ.

Canadian and American respectively but the leagues have the option to do what they want with the jerseys at the end of the day. I could've just mentioned soccer which again has names on kits which is incredibly useful during games.

Diet Crack posted:

tldr: Who actually cares if it goes ahead or not?

Me, I want to read names. It's not the monumental task to read player names as you're making it out.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Clone Dennis Commetti have him call all the games

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

The only time the game stops long enough for you to actually read the name is when the player is kicking for goal and they'll flash the graphic up on the TV anyway.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Deadly Hume posted:

The only time the game stops long enough for you to actually read the name is when the player is kicking for goal and they'll flash the graphic up on the TV anyway.

Or during a ball up, or after a mark anywhere else on the field, or any time a camera man is competent enough to keep the camera on a player.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Chairchucker posted:

I don't have a smartphone and even if I did I wouldn't want to have to Google someone's name during the action.

Barbarian

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Also I am legitimately entertained that this subject has turned into a multiple page argument again

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Could be worse, could be the F1 thread. At least people have valid, constructed opinions in here (most of the time.)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Diet Crack posted:

Is the AFL in HD yet?

Any game where the cameras belong to Foxsports yes, but channel 7 won't be using HD cameras until 2017

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

All the games I get in the states are in HD

e- Are you people really still watching sports in SD?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I want names on the back for the same reason I want an evening/night grand final - to watch traditionalist cry babies melt down over "its just not the way it was done in the 70s!" Traditions can be great, but then they're pretty much your only argument for things that really have not much downside then eh.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Diet Crack posted:

Could be worse, could be the F1 thread. At least people have valid, constructed opinions in here (most of the time.)

f1 is dead

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Seltzer posted:

All the games I get in the states are in HD

e- Are you people really still watching sports in SD?

It's pretty much the only sport left still in SD in Australia, because the non-cable broadcast partner is a pretty terrible channel, for a little while I think they were upscaling, and were left dumbfounded when people took a couple of minutes to figure it out and call them on it. The cable channel broadcast partner has been filming in HD for years now though.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

snaeksikn posted:

Also I am legitimately entertained that this subject has turned into a multiple page argument again

I came home a few minutes ago, saw 60+ posts and thought to myself either someone arced up over names on jumpers or someone said that Bundaberg Ginger beer is poo poo

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Also I just found The Crows Show on late night FTA. I don't think it will compete with late night ratings juggernaughts Adventure Time and the BBC World Service but I wish it all the best.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

It's pretty much the only sport left still in SD in Australia, because the non-cable broadcast partner is a pretty terrible channel, for a little while I think they were upscaling, and were left dumbfounded when people took a couple of minutes to figure it out and call them on it. The cable channel broadcast partner has been filming in HD for years now though.

Wow that's miserable. Every sport has been readily available in HD for like at least 10 years now.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Seltzer posted:

Wow that's miserable. Every sport has been readily available in HD for like at least 10 years now.

They had some daft excuse about not being able to afford enough cameras to cover every ground adequately, so they stuck with SD everywhere.

Fortunately the new TV deal starts in 2017, and the league finally made complete broadcast in real HD a non-negotiable, after failing to heed the advice of everyone the last time around.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

spamman posted:

I'm against names on guernseys. Purely for aesthetic reasons.

emptyquoting this. Fire all commentators who talk about anything not happening on the field, reduce commentators to two per game, one calling the game, the other providing statistics or whatever, swapping after every goal or whatever time they feel like. Maybe, maybe a boundary commentator for the interchanges etc.

NTRabbit posted:

They had some daft excuse about not being able to afford enough cameras to cover every ground adequately, so they stuck with SD everywhere.

Fortunately the new TV deal starts in 2017, and the league finally made complete broadcast in real HD a non-negotiable, after failing to heed the advice of everyone the last time around.

Ontop of this, for the 2010 grand final rematch, channel 7 were supposed to ship their HD cameras up to Bathurst, but had to keep them in Melbourne for the GF replay.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 5, 2016

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Now all they need to do is have a streaming service that can actually stream.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

hiddenmovement posted:

someone said that Bundaberg Ginger beer is poo poo

Surely no one is that stupid.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

drunkill posted:

emptyquoting this. Fire all commentators who talk about anything not happening on the field, reduce commentators to two per game, one calling the game, the other providing statistics or whatever, swapping after every goal or whatever time they feel like. Maybe, maybe a boundary commentator for the interchanges etc.

I agree, none of these 5 man teams they keep running with.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Their root beer equivalent and lemon lime bitters is poo poo though.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

I remember accidently grabbing that Horehound Beer they did years ago and getting a nasty surprise when I took a swig

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Diet Crack posted:

Their root beer equivalent and lemon lime bitters is poo poo though.

The creaming soda is nice, but you hardly find it, only at places that stock all the flavours in a fridge and never in a sixpack.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I'm on the no names bandwagon, both aesthetic and practical reasons. With the jumper having no sleeves the only place you could put the name and make it readable would be under the number, and clubs aren't going to give up that juicy advertising space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Spedman posted:

I'm on the no names bandwagon, both aesthetic and practical reasons. With the jumper having no sleeves the only place you could put the name and make it readable would be under the number, and clubs aren't going to give up that juicy advertising space.

Common sense and helping out fans beats out aesthetics. I might even grant the aesthetics argument some credibility if most of the guernseys didn't already have garish sponsors plastered on them. I don't understand how you're making it seem like it's impossible to fit a name onto a sleeveless jersey. Behold a sartorial feat of great magnitude.

Between that argument and the "you never really see people's backs" argument I feel like I'm going crazy. It's the anti goal line tech argument all over again. "We've always done things like this why should we change it"

e- here's a guernsey someone else posted on the other page if you think this is not possible with sponsors for some bizarre reason

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 6, 2016

• Locked thread