Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

Iretep posted:

What good would Bhaal coming back even do? Doesent Cyric own his domain already? I doupt hes powerful enough to start ripping domains out of Cyric.

I think Kelemvor owns Bhaal's portfolio, he took it from Cyric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Koskinator posted:

I think Kelemvor owns Bhaal's portfolio, he took it from Cyric.

I think that Kelemvor took the Death domain from Cyric, who in turn took it from Myrkul, Cyric retained Murder.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Christ, I almost didn't buy this expansion to one of my favourite games of all time due to glancing at the average rating and top couple of reviews on GOG. loving hell nerds.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

Angry Lobster posted:

I think that Kelemvor took the Death domain from Cyric, who in turn took it from Myrkul, Cyric retained Murder.

This is correct, for some reason I thought Bhaal was the Lord of Death.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Siege of Dragonspear has another Ring of Wizardry, allowing for a truly absurd amount of casts if you have more than one Mage in the party.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

If my level 9 kensai dual classes in SOD can I get my class back as a mage? Level 9 is 250k as a kensai and 250k for level 10 as a mage. XP cap is 500k. So would I have precisely enough XP to do it or would any xp I earned over 250k as a Kensai count towards the cap and gently caress me?

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

cheesetriangles posted:

If my level 9 kensai dual classes in SOD can I get my class back as a mage? Level 9 is 250k as a kensai and 250k for level 10 as a mage. XP cap is 500k. So would I have precisely enough XP to do it or would any xp I earned over 250k as a Kensai count towards the cap and gently caress me?

You might find more than 500k of experience in SoD, so you might be good to go.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Well, the XP cap is set to 500k for SoD, so you'd play basically the entire thing as a low level mage, which doesn't seem very fun to me? I guess it would make it more challenging?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I finished it with just about 500k exactly and I missed a few quests so you should be good, if not you'll make it about 5 minutes into BG2.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's not that bad - Minsc, Imoen, and Jaheira can easily beat the opening dungeon without any help from CHARNAME, and once you get out of the dungeon you've got Korgan, Anomen, Yoshimo, Jan, & Nalia all available without needing to win a single fight, with Keldorn & Viconia available after only a single fight each. I've actually dual classed as the first action after breaking out of Irenicus' jail and been fine.

It definitely makes the plot kind of funny when you're so much weaker than some insane turnip gnome you picked up off the street.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Milky Moor posted:

I think TOB was very rushed, yeah. From what I remember, they had plans for ToB as BG3 but it got turned into a BG2 expansion for whatever reason.

It was actually the other way around - by the time they were finishing up bg2.5 they realized they should have pushed harder for a full sequel.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
I hope everyone is having a good time. We have a bugfix patch coming soon. Sorry if we broke your game.

I wish we weren't getting review spiked but oh well life sucks and is infinitely terrible~

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Am I correct in assuming that basically no mods work with this new expansion yet?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

fong posted:

Late to the party but why are people saying blades are bad? In the EEs they got nerfed hard stopping offensive spin and haste from stacking, but they're still great in melee through the whole game. Fighter/mage is better but not an option among NPCs. Plus they make good buff bots and dispellers, which is always good. Even limited to level 6 spells still gets you breach, spell immunity and imp haste
I think I was the only one who said anything against them, and mostly that's about Blades falling off at higher levels.
At lower levels, they are good. They still have issues - until they get Tenser's, THAC0 is a constant annoyance, and if their spells get dispelled they're in a lot of trouble.
e: And when you're just starting out, you have Proficiency point issues; you want to put points towards meleeing but you also really want the ability to use ranged weapons.
At high levels they just can't keep up in terms of damage output because Offensive Spin doesn't really make up for loss of Fighter levels and Specialization. That the EEs made it not stack with Haste is dumb, I'll need to remember to mod that away whenever I next play with Haer'Dalis.
Defensive Spin is always kind of dumb because, well, early on it kind of doesn't do that much, and later on you've got Mirror Image and Stoneskin to avoid attacks, do you really care about AC that much to give up the ability to move at that point? Popping Defensive Spin and singing the Improved Bard Song is still often what you do at high levels, but that's mostly because the Song is good and the Blade's personal melee ability, at that point, doesn't hold up so well anymore, so you might as well.

Also, specifically in BG1, Bards don't get poo poo as far as equipment goes, which was one reason why I recommended against them for a trilogy playthrough. The BG1 NPC Project gives Garrick a quest that drops some armor at least (I made Garrick a Blade once, it was pretty good), but apart from that you're looking at either lovely AC Bracers (and losing that inventory slot) or armor spells (and losing at least one of your few spell slots).

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 5, 2016

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009

Bobfly posted:

Am I correct in assuming that basically no mods work with this new expansion yet?

So far it seems that dialog.tlk is very fragile, anything that messes with that seems to break item descriptions, proficiencies, stuff like that.

I played through SoD even with this, but it's probably better to hold off on mods until we get patches helping that out.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah but my question is does if i have more experience than exactly 250k when I dual class does that XP get wiped out or does still count towards the cap? If I have like 1 more exp than 250k and it counts that towards the xp cap then I am hosed. But if it cuts it off at 250k when I dual then I can get my kensai levels back by the end of SOD.

Are the bad reviews just Grrr social justice?

cheesetriangles fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 5, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

cheesetriangles posted:

Yeah but my question is does if i have more experience than exactly 250k when I dual class does that XP get wiped out or does still count towards the cap? If I have like 1 more exp than 250k and it counts that towards the xp cap then I am hosed. But if it cuts it off at 250k when I dual then I can get my kensai levels back by the end of SOD.

I'm pretty sure it drops any extra xp you have, so you should be fine with the level cap.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, you just lose those XP.

cheesetriangles posted:

Yeah, it's an actual campaign against the game's "ultra-left political agenda" (two lines of dialogue). GOG and Metacritic reviews seem especially bad, probably because, well:

LibbyM posted:

The metacritic is probably so much worse because you don't need to actually have played/bought the game to join the hate mob.

Over at Steam it's mostly review up/downvoting fuckery.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

cheesetriangles posted:

There are some legit gripes with bugs and the UI, but yes, mostly it is manufactured outrage about the transgender NPC and Minsc's easter egg line poking fun at Gamergate.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

cheesetriangles posted:

There are a fair number of bugs we are fixing and multiplayer is slightly broken. So far only two publications have reviewed the game but they are giving it scores in the 8s.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Kirk posted:

There are a fair number of bugs we are fixing and multiplayer is slightly broken. So far only two publications have reviewed the game but they are giving it scores in the 8s.

Gonna say I'm enjoying both the 2.0 patch and what little I've played of Dragonspear immensely so far. Don't let the idiot brigade get you down.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I'm kinda surprised to hear that there are so many bugs, I only encountered two myself. Which happened to be one that stopped the goblin companion from appearing and another one that kept me from blowing part of the enemy supply lines up, so definitely annoying. But when I compare that to other RPGs, even expansions, at launch, that's pretty much nothing.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

gschmidl posted:

Gonna say I'm enjoying both the 2.0 patch and what little I've played of Dragonspear immensely so far. Don't let the idiot brigade get you down.

It's hard when they tank your review scores :(

Oh well. We will do better next time.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm not going to question the choice of a trans character but putting in the minsc joke was probably in poor taste. I don't think that belongs at all.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Has anyone read about or played a Priest of Tyr yet? I was curious as to which stronghold temple they would get if any; perhaps either Lathanders or Helms depending on alignment?

Also has anyone ever tried dual wielding with only the one pip that clerics are allowed? The -2/-6 penalty seems pretty steep but it seems like it could potentially work with a 19->20 str half-orc.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Kirk posted:

That's good to hear. Multiplayer has a few frustrating problems right now what with being unable to access other players' inventories and non-host players not being able to use container items like gem bags. By and large I like the UI improvements though. The half-second transition between normal view and map view is nice - it makes it a lot easier to keep track of where you are on the map.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Btw, Kirk, have you considered an option to make the health bars smaller? I like them, but when there's a dozen hobgoblins, a full party of adventurers and 3 summons on the screen they do take up too much space. Also, a kobold is about half as big as its health bar, which ends up looking kinda silly.

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm not going to question the choice of a trans character but putting in the minsc joke was probably in poor taste. I don't think that belongs at all.
I don't think it's a very funny line, but I also have never heard it myself and still don't even know how to trigger it.
The original games had far more overt pop culture references etc., although that doesn't really make this one any better.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

cheesetriangles posted:

Let's call the whole thing ill-judged rather than poor taste. There's a fairly sizable chunk of socially conservative/reactionary types among fans of classic RPGs. The relatively high percentage of IE engine die-hards in countries which haven't quite entered the 21st century (socially speaking) should have been a huge flashing warning sign.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Haven't played Dragonspear yet because I'm a masochist and I've decided to do a full playthrough from the beginning, but I can say the best thing about the 2.0 patch is the removal of the CRTL-J teleport delay. The worst thing is having to click on an additional TRAVEL button on the world map to move to a new are. What the gently caress was the point of that other than make people familiar with the old engine sit there and stare blankly at their screens wondering why the next map wasn't loading?

As for the Minsc ethics line and trans character outrages, who gives a poo poo please take it to tubmlr.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Wizard Styles posted:

I don't think it's a very funny line, but I also have never heard it myself and still don't even know how to trigger it.
The original games had far more overt pop culture references etc., although that doesn't really make this one any better.

You get it by clicking on Minsc more than 10 times in a row, like Khalid's porky pig quote ("Th'th'thaats all folks") and Dynaheir's Nancy Sinatra song lyric ("These boots were made for walking"). All NPC easter egg lines are triggered by doing that afaik.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 5, 2016

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Airfoil posted:

Let's call the whole thing ill-judged rather than poor taste. There's a fairly sizable chunk of socially conservative/reactionary types among fans of classic RPGs. The relatively high percentage of IE engine die-hards in countries which haven't quite entered the 21st century (socially speaking) should have been a huge flashing warning sign.

No I think poor taste is true as well. Putting in a joke about GG is also a sure fire way to get them to review bomb your game. Putting in a trans character sure whatever that's fine with Forgotten Realms canon so no one should be mad anyway. But putting an attack against GG when it didn't need to be there is a sure fire way to get attacked back needlessly. Like not only is it in poor taste its also poor business sense.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Was it an attack though? I thought the "its about ethics" line was something they said unironically.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

insanityv2 posted:

Was it an attack though? I thought the "its about ethics" line was something they said unironically.

It's about how it's perceived. There is nothing wrong with having a trans character in Forgotten Realms but the Minsc line was just asking for trouble. Beamdog kinda brought some of the review bombing on themselves with that. They put a rake for themselves to step on.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

cheesetriangles posted:

It's about how it's perceived. There is nothing wrong with having a trans character in Forgotten Realms but the Minsc line was just asking for trouble. Beamdog kinda brought some of the review bombing on themselves with that. They put a rake for themselves to step on.

Yes because a parody line in a video game is a serious discussion for idiots

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

insanityv2 posted:

You get it by clicking on Minsc more than 10 times in a row, like Khalid's porky pig quote ("Th'th'thaats all folks") and Dynaheir's Nancy Sinatra song lyric ("These boots were made for walking"). All NPC easter egg lines are triggered by doing that afaik.
That's what I thought, but I couldn't get it to trigger.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Nation posted:

Yes because a parody line in a video game is a serious discussion for idiots

If it wasn't a big deal you wouldn't see a Beamdog developer lamenting how poo poo on the reviews are getting.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Personally I find it extremely funny that those dudes are offended by the line and calling for it to be removed. Baldur's Gate was right about not gazing too deeply into the abyss it seems.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Fair enough. Funny how sensitive a movement supposedly fighting oversensitivity is though.

Also the bonebats sprites were recycled from PST weren't they? Lol. I'd personally have at least palette swapped the wights and other IWD assets so they felt a little less copy pasted.

However, I do have to say that that copy/paste feel of the assets is p much my only major complaint about the game. Writing's been fine, characters feel like they retained their personalities from BG1, finishing up Chapter 9 and experience has been entirely bug free.

Also this expansion retroactively made ToSC better. A big problem with ToSC is that by the time you were strong enough to tackle it and get those powerful weapons and lvl 4/5 spell scrolls, there wasn't much game left to use that cool stuff. I've been experimenting with doing Durlag's tower earlier and earlier each playthrough of BG1, but this remains to be a major problem in my eyes of the game as it was.

SOD was nice enough to give me some nice beefy skulls to cave in with this brand new shiny Worlds Edge (2h sword +3).

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

cheesetriangles posted:

As someone who has supported GG positions in the past, the Minsc thing is the only legit grievance I can see them having. Everything else is overblown horseshit. The writing for the trans character isn't particularly good, but it's not really that big of a deal. People exist who annoyingly spout out their personal details to you unsolicited in real life, too. Maybe the person is on the spectrum. But yeah, the Minsc thing is like someone writing a new LOTR short story where one of the orcs yells "Kony 2012!" at the camera or something. It's just jarring in the setting and serves no good other than making a small group of people feel very smug and pissing off another entire group of people. I'll probably buy this expansion once they get the bugs worked out and some mod support going, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

insanityv2 posted:

Fair enough. Funny how sensitive a movement supposedly fighting oversensitivity is though.

Also the bonebats sprites were recycled from PST weren't they? Lol. I'd personally have at least palette swapped the wights and other IWD assets so they felt a little less copy pasted.

However, I do have to say that that copy/paste feel of the assets is p much my only major complaint about the game. Writing's been fine, characters feel like they retained their personalities from BG1, finishing up Chapter 9 and experience has been entirely bug free.

Also this expansion retroactively made ToSC better. A big problem with ToSC is that by the time you were strong enough to tackle it and get those powerful weapons and lvl 4/5 spell scrolls, there wasn't much game left to use that cool stuff. I've been experimenting with doing Durlag's tower earlier and earlier each playthrough of BG1, but this remains to be a major problem in my eyes of the game as it was.

SOD was nice enough to give me some nice beefy skulls to cave in with this brand new shiny Worlds Edge (2h sword +3).

There are IWD and PST assets yeah. I think its cool, seeing new enemy types but some of them look out of place for sure.