Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Endie posted:

We've got a guy right now who we know how is really chill and trustworthy but who would have no fun in PL because he couldn't fly any - any - of the doctrine ships. So he is in PH to have fun and learn to play Eve and stuff but is in our irc corp channel and a few guys fly with him a bit on quiet days. Several of us have alts in PH anyway since it's a very different form of Eve with different goals and sometimes you want that change of pace.

Socially he's effectively in corp but he gets broadcasts for fleets that he can actually have fun on.

You make it sound like he's disabled or something. As if he took some shrapnel to the brain in battle and so is unfit for PL duty. That he's a bit slow these days and slurs his R's. That sometimes he falls over but you kept him on the unit mailing list so he can still feel like "part of the gang". And the PH nursing home is treating him well and he gets pudding for breakfast so he is happier than ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Xolve posted:

Speaking of...

Does Sion condone asking your friendly russian neighbors for a sheep or two to gently caress?

Also- what's his stance on maple syrup?

You left out the best line

quote:

[11:34:24] <Haquer> lol Lilith51 wouldn't know gooniness if it skull hosed his mom

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Siets posted:

Hello "top kek" let me introduce you to "WEW LAD". :suicide:

"wew lad" is another one that can get hosed. I don't know where the gently caress it came from but it I blame mittani/you guys for exposing me to it.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Percelus posted:

So how was my first post of PL recruiting established veterans so controversial? I also get that having a supercap isn't an actual requirement, but like you said what fun is it to be in an organization that runs doctrines you can't fly and I always thought PL specialized in capitals first and foremost.

Pretty sure they specialize in the slaughter of spacemans, and not necessarily capital warfare.

If you have a super, you will use it- but it's not really contingent on anything except for maybe centra's ego.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Daruna posted:

And to their credit... and I can't believe I'm saying this... but TEST have improved markedly in the last 3 years. I still wouldn't want to be around them for too long, mostly because they still stink of redditor, but they're not NEARLY as bad as Boodabooda-era TEST.

I refuse to believe this

Daruna
Jul 3, 2011

Zephyrine posted:

You make it sound like he's disabled or something. As if he took some shrapnel to the brain in battle and so is unfit for PL duty. That he's a bit slow these days and slurs his R's. That sometimes he falls over but you kept him on the unit mailing list so he can still feel like "part of the gang". And the PH nursing home is treating him well and he gets pudding for breakfast so he is happier than ever.

We actually euthanize all undesirables and infirm.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Zephyrine posted:

That is how eve works yes

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Daruna posted:

We actually euthanize all undesirables and infirm.

Excuse me sir I think the polite term is tardlings

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

ChickenWing posted:

Endie, scuttlebutt in Elysium is that you left because you were mad because mittens didn't make you waffe CEO pls respond

I have never wanted to be any such thing: easy proof of this is that I am not even CEO of Bat Country because I don't want the workload that's associated with that, so me wanting to be head of waffe seems a bit of a stretch.

We did have *lots* of discussions about why Goonwaffe was so inactive and so disinterested - participation always low enough that they would be booted if a member corp, while only about 900 of their characters log in in the last month at any given time, even in war - and one of the many ideas we kicked around was that the ceo of waffe be different from the ceo of GSF, and that they be someone who could lavish time on getting an identity and activity back. But I can certainly say that I would hate to be that person.

Zephyrine posted:

What a weird way to think of friends.

Endie fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 5, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Valkyrie is coming to the HTC Vive it seems.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/5/11370324/eve-valkyrie-htc-vive

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Endie posted:

We did have *lots* of discussions about why Goonwaffe was so inactive and so disinterested - participation always low enough that they would be booted if a member corp, while only about 900 of their characters log in in the last month at any given time, even in war - and one of the many ideas we kicked around was that the ceo of waffe be different from the ceo of GSF, and that they be someone who could lavish time on getting an identity and activity back. But I can certainly say that I would hate to be that person.

that idea was literally 'kicked around' only by you, repeatedly

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

oh christ yes

now in the hypothetical universe where i can afford a vive, I can also play valkyrie :toot:

Daruna
Jul 3, 2011

Wait

VR is segregating like consoles do? What the gently caress I thought if you had ANY VR headset you could play ANY game with VR features.

Like if I had a sony morpheus or whatever, or a facebook oculus or and HTC Vive I could play Valkyrie or any other VR game. I was wrong?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I always found the argument that X alliance is superior to Y alliance because of recruitment standards pretty stupid.

It's stupid because different alliances are going to offer different players different things, or in the case of goonwaffe, most of the things for people that want that, or in the case of PL, a few things that people want, you just have to have the skill and resources for it. When I was in H A V O C before mannie joined BDCI and they left for PL I didn't want to go, and when I applied to NCDOT instead in like 2011 or whatever it was, I made a conscious choice. Not because NCDOT was superior to PL, they just did more of the things I wanted, namely taking and holding sov and doing that kind of management.

I liked Goonwaffe because the array of groups and activities was almost bewildering so I had many options, and I like Shadow Cartel now because now that I've had my null fix it's fun to be the "lowsec elite" group of players.

I don't think one alliance is superior to the other because that's all completely relative to what you want.

But the argument that a group like goonwaffe is better just because they take more people or have lower recruitment requirements or cater to a wider base alone is loving stupid and is the argument of a stupid person. It's better to say, "I think goonwaffe is better because I like doing XYZ and they do XYZ, PL does ABC but I don't like ABC but other people might."

There are plenty of goons who play EVE who post in this thread who aren't in goonwaffe for this reason.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 5, 2016

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

frankly though the best self-aggrandizement was when mittens found out you'd been passing yourself off as the #2 for years when you got caught trying to poach sma people

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

evilweasel posted:

frankly though the best self-aggrandizement was when mittens found out you'd been passing yourself off as the #2 for years when you got caught trying to poach sma people

:vince:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Endie posted:

poo poo, Goonwaffe is still disinterested and inactive. I came back expecting you know, rousing speeches from leadership trying to get everyone to log in and pull their loving weight after living the high life/horny whiteboy life, what I got was Mittani flailing about for words for about 5 and a half minutes, and a mild uptick in amount of fleet pings. Goonwaffe proper is definitely sleeping while the Imperium collapses around them.

Cue someone coming in to call me on it because I'm not toeing the party line, or said something unpopular.

The closest thing I can draw a comparison to is the French and the Maginot Line.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Daruna posted:

Wait

VR is segregating like consoles do? What the gently caress I thought if you had ANY VR headset you could play ANY game with VR features.

Like if I had a sony morpheus or whatever, or a facebook oculus or and HTC Vive I could play Valkyrie or any other VR game. I was wrong?

There's been a lot of talk about exclusivity and launch titles between Rift and Vive, which frankly seems ridiculous but here we are. I'm glad to hear Valkyrie is making the jump though, it looks great and I was afraid it would shoehorn my choice for overly priced gimmick equipment.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
^ poo poo. Really? That's lame.

Daruna posted:

Wait

I'm not really sure. I think it's more so a "we're going to support this VR headset" but there may be "crossplatform" play. I haven't read anything that says either though so that's just my wishful thinking.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 5, 2016

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Kimsemus posted:

I always found the argument that X alliance is superior to Y alliance because of recruitment standards pretty stupid.

It's stupid because different alliances are going to offer different players different things, or in the case of goonwaffe, most of the things for people that want that, or in the case of PL, a few things that people want, you just have to have the skill and resources for it. When I was in H A V O C before mannie joined BDCI and they left for PL I didn't want to go, and when I applied to NCDOT instead in like 2011 or whatever it was, I made a conscious choice. Not because NCDOT was superior to PL, they just did more of the things I wanted, namely taking and holding sov and doing that kind of management.

I liked Goonwaffe because the array of groups and activities was almost bewildering so I had many options, and I like Shadow Cartel now because now that I've had my null fix it's fun to be the "lowsec elite" group of players.

I don't think one alliance is superior to the other because that's all completely relative to what you want.

But the argument that a group like goons is better just because they take more people or have lower recruitment requirements or cater to a wider base alone is loving stupid and is the argument of a stupid person. It's better to say, "I think goonwaffe is better because I like doing XYZ and they do XYZ, PL does ABC but I don't like ABC but other people might."

There are plenty of goons who play EVE who post in this thread who aren't in goons for this reason.

At one point did I claim one alliance was superior to another? I merely showed the differences in culture and practices.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

evilweasel posted:

Ahahaha what?

Daruna
Jul 3, 2011

Deofuta posted:

There's been a lot of talk about exclusivity and launch titles between Rift and Vive, which frankly seems ridiculous but here we are.

:wtc: how would they even enforce that

it's a headset it doesn't have drm DOES IT HAVE DRM oh my god these companies are insane

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

poo poo, Goonwaffe is still disinterested and inactive. I came back expecting you know, rousing speeches from leadership trying to get everyone to log in and pull their loving weight after living the high life/horny whiteboy life, what I got was Mittani flailing about for words for about 5 and a half minutes, and a mild uptick in amount of fleet pings. Goonwaffe proper is definitely sleeping while the Imperium collapses around them.

Cue someone coming in to call me on it because I'm not toeing the party line, or said something unpopular.

The closest thing I can draw a comparison to is the French and the Maginot Line.

you are wrong and bad and furthermore :yosbutt:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

It reminds me of when RAIDEN was getting wiped the gently caress out in the east and ground into space dust while NCdot sat in Tribute prodding away at 10/10s as goons massed on the other border to wipe us the gently caress out.

"Hey guys should we do something about the overwhelming number of CFC one region away?"

"The what now? *clicks warp to complex*"

Percelus posted:

At one point did I claim one alliance was superior to another? I merely showed the differences in culture and practices.

Your 10 or so effort posts about the superiority of your alliance mostly.

Daruna
Jul 3, 2011

Percelus posted:

*while :smug:ing about how my alliance and culture is superior.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Daruna posted:

it's a headset it doesn't have drm DOES IT HAVE DRM oh my god these companies are insane

different modes of interaction - there's no VR "standard" yet, so when you develop you have to account for how each headset's interface differs. Different APIs and whatnot.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Daruna posted:

Wait

Soon they will begin releasing monitor exclusives.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Daruna posted:

No, it isn't. It isn't just another monitor, they have they're own apis for head tracking and knowing where things are, they have different input schemes, etc. There is a measure of work required to port between them.

And its enforced like anything else, with a contract on the developers side

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 5, 2016

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Percelus posted:

You certainly were trying to imply it. Have you tried standing by your arguments instead of backpedaling at the first sign of trouble?

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Marxalot posted:

Ahahaha what?

Yeah we were told to go out and start poaching talent from allies and I got carried away and was caught trying to poach some director of SMA when working my way down the killboard top ten. Woops! I would be all "I am the number two person in goonswarm" and some people in TSC were very worked up that there was a formal hierarchy and that you shouldn't tell people you were number two if you were number three and stuff.

Still got a bunch of good people from that though.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kimsemus posted:

It reminds me of when RAIDEN was getting wiped the gently caress out in the east and ground into space dust while NCdot sat in Tribute prodding away at 10/10s as goons massed on the other border to wipe us the gently caress out.

"Hey guys should we do something about the overwhelming number of CFC one region away?"

"The what now? *clicks warp to complex*"

If Goons get rolled out of Deklein it will do them some good, hate to check off blocks on the "Failure Cascade Bingo" but it would definitely help them overcome the inertia that comes to any large, well-established org. If all you do is win, you get fat and lazy eventually and forget how to work for it.

Also, Percelus shut the gently caress up, you're making an idiot of yourself, or at least making a worse idiot of yourself.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 5, 2016

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Kimsemus posted:

Except I never made such a claim. If you go back and look at the post that started this "Pandemic Legion, the linchpin of this mob coming after our poo poo, was briefly touted months ago by certain individuals as the flame of true gooniness. This couldn't be further from the truth." That was what I set out to prove, not that one alliance is superior but simply one is full of goons and the others not so much. I did that by pointing out every practice that was anathema to goon groups, from the application process to the segregation of fleets and people who are essentially under one banner.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Phi230 posted:

Soon they will begin releasing monitor exclusives.

gsync

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Mittani flailing about for words for about 5 and a half minutes

tbh I'm liking the new short SOTG's and Firesides

edit: like I love me some mittens but real talk he's not been pulling punches when he's saying were going to be eating dicks for a while

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Endie posted:

Yeah we were told to go out and start poaching talent from allies and I got carried away and was caught trying to poach some director of SMA when working my way down the killboard top ten. Woops! I would be all "I am the number two person in goonswarm" and some people in TSC were very worked up that there was a formal hierarchy and that you shouldn't tell people you were number two if you were number three and stuff.

Still got a bunch of good people from that though.

iirc the actual reaction of tsc was to roundly mock you because, after all, you had just gotten caught being about as subtle as a xander leak and that was hilarious as gently caress

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Yeah, other people suggested doing it with enforcing pap links for waffe or whatever but I thought - and still think - that it needs some cultural figure who is active, has tons of time and ideally who can FC to get people all enthused by leading from the front, logging-in etc. Durr was the example I had in mind but PL also have much the same gig going on, particularly with Snigg.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

tbh I'm liking the new short SOTG's and Firesides

edit: like I love me some mittens but real talk he's not been pulling punches when he's saying were going to be eating dicks for a while

I read that as firesales and did a little double take.

I'll stop posting now...

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

evilweasel posted:

iirc the actual reaction of tsc was to roundly mock you because, after all, you had just gotten caught being about as subtle as a xander leak and that was hilarious as gently caress

And rightly so. It was fairly embarrassing as mornings go.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Endie posted:

Yeah, other people suggested doing it with enforcing pap links for waffe or whatever but I thought - and still think - that it needs some cultural figure who is active, has tons of time and ideally who can FC to get people all enthused by leading from the front, logging-in etc. Durr was the example I had in mind but PL also have much the same gig going on, particularly with Snigg.

Good job describing boat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Percelus posted:

Except I never made such a claim. If you go back and look at the post that started this "Pandemic Legion, the linchpin of this mob coming after our poo poo, was briefly touted months ago by certain individuals as the flame of true gooniness. This couldn't be further from the truth." That was what I set out to prove, not that one alliance is superior but simply one is full of goons and the others not so much. I did that by pointing out every practice that was anathema to goon groups, from the application process to the segregation of fleets and people who are essentially under one banner.

Thought we had already established that PL is full of Goons and GSF is full of Redditors? :iiam:

• Locked thread