Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

TheKingofSprings posted:

Honestly there's probably still a decent Eldrazi deck in modern, it just won't be the cosmic horror it was.

Yup. That's what I'm looking for, I have plenty of t1 stuff I just want to fiddle with big dummies now that the hype is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Has anyone had success getting random cube foils from Puca trade? I'm not having much success with the random nonsense I'm looking for now, but I don't really want to pay $45 to add foils and get 3 of the cards I'm looking for.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I've yet to see any evidence cards like Thought-Knot Seer or Reality Smasher are going down in price. Doubt they will suddenly fall at all.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheDemon posted:

I've yet to see any evidence cards like Thought-Knot Seer or Reality Smasher are going down in price. Doubt they will suddenly fall at all.

They're in a good standard deck that as far as I know isn't actually losing any cards. I'm pretty sure that deck only plays Thought-Knot and Reality Smasher, and everything else in the modern deck has dropped hard.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

Honestly there's probably still a decent Eldrazi deck in modern, it just won't be the cosmic horror it was.

4 Temple + 4 Vesuva still sounds like something playable.

suicidesteve posted:

They're in a good standard deck that as far as I know isn't actually losing any cards. I'm pretty sure that deck only plays Thought-Knot and Reality Smasher, and everything else in the modern deck has dropped hard.

Matter Reshaper and Mimic are played in some builds. After looking at my pile of cards after OOB was finished drafting I somehow have all the cards to make Mono B Eldrazi. I'm trying the Coat of Arms equipment instead of Ghostfire Blade, and running maindeck Warping Wail to avoid wipes.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 5, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

also a Legacy deck that is at least decent and potentially still a Modern deck.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

4 Temple + 4 Vesuva still sounds like something playable.

Matter Reshaper and Mimic are played in some builds. After looking at my pile of cards after OOB was finished drafting I somehow have all the cards to make Mono B Eldrazi. I'm trying the Coat of Arms equipment instead of Ghostfire Blade, and running maindeck Warping Wail to avoid wipes.

Comes into play tapped is a big detriment, and the Vesuva is gonna be super low impact if you don't have a temple already on the table.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

Has anyone had success getting random cube foils from Puca trade? I'm not having much success with the random nonsense I'm looking for now, but I don't really want to pay $45 to add foils and get 3 of the cards I'm looking for.

It takes a long time and is very random how they come in. I've had some wants take 3-6 months before they got filled (foil Staff of Domination) but they all eventually do, it just takes a very long time.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Played for an hour against mono white last night with b/w/c and I have to say that mono white seems to fall over to lanquish in a big way. I didn't have tendrils in my 75 last night and I feel like it would have made it even worse. It even seems to have problems against ramp that are running 3-4 returns maindeck. It looks better than I thought on paper, just doesn't seem to play as well in practice.

This was the list that was played. Maybe aother pro will make a better one.

3 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
4 Dragon Hunter
4 Expedition Envoy
4 Knight of the White Orchid
4 Kytheon, Hero of Akros
4 Thalia's Lieutenant
4 Thraben Inspector
Creatures [27]
4 Always Watching
4 Declaration in Stone
3 Stasis Snare
Spells [11]
20 Plains
2 Westvale Abbey

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

For starters 20 one drops is probably not ideal. Neither is 4 kytheon

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Someone bought my prerelease promo Abbey for $35 :toot:

I opened one as my promo, too. Gotta get on offloading that.

GonSmithe posted:

Hahaha LSV just said on stream that at some point in the future he's gonna do a stream where he joins as many queues as possible at the same time.
There might be nothing I hate more on Twitch than watching streamers double/multi-queue.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

sarmhan posted:

For starters 20 one drops is probably not ideal. Neither is 4 kytheon

The list is from Melissa DeTora and there doesn't appear to be a lot of decent lists around. I wasn't a fan of all the one drops either but after playing against it I don't see how it would get better by being slower. If someone has a decent list, post it.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Good news, this thread's favourite author is starting to release excerpts from his upcoming book!

http://www.dailydot.com/geek/magic-pro-tour-history/

Kickstarter posted:

Can't wait to read this! For those who don't know, CML is the Hunter S. Thompson of his generation (he infiltrates MTG tournaments rather than the Hells Angels) but far more talented.
The illustrations look great, too!

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Well that's a bold claim.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i want to put a cigarette out in the eye of whoever typed that

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i want to put a cigarette out in the eye of whoever typed that

I guess it's meant to be a joke...? A pompous, bad, unfunny joke...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
California, Labour Day weekend... early, with ocean fog still in the streets, outlaw wizards wearing anime t-shirts, shades, and greasy cargo shorts roll out from damp motel rooms, Denny's, and their parents' basements in Frisco, Hollywood, Berdoo, and East Oakland, heading for the convention center... The Menace is loose again

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I can't believe that people think this Ulvenwald Hydra is Standard playable.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Sickening posted:

Played for an hour against mono white last night with b/w/c and I have to say that mono white seems to fall over to lanquish in a big way. I didn't have tendrils in my 75 last night and I feel like it would have made it even worse. It even seems to have problems against ramp that are running 3-4 returns maindeck. It looks better than I thought on paper, just doesn't seem to play as well in practice.

This was the list that was played. Maybe aother pro will make a better one.

3 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
4 Dragon Hunter
4 Expedition Envoy
4 Knight of the White Orchid
4 Kytheon, Hero of Akros
4 Thalia's Lieutenant
4 Thraben Inspector
Creatures [27]
4 Always Watching
4 Declaration in Stone
3 Stasis Snare
Spells [11]
20 Plains
2 Westvale Abbey

I'm not a pro, but a better one could easily be made by: dropping expedition envoy, one anafenza, one kytheon and adding 3 secure the wastes, an Abbey, and perhaps an Avacyn or Ally of Zendikar. Now instead of a bunch of redundant legendaries and expedition envoy, for some loving reason, you at least have a real shot at turning on Abbey with a t4 Secure the Wastes. There's also probably a better one drop than Dragon Hunter, any ideas?

You're still going to get transgress the mind'd and tear your hair out and have no real three drops to speak of apart from Always Watching but really this deck isn't going to be great.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 5, 2016

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

mcmagic posted:

I can't believe that people think this Ulvenwald Hydra is Standard playable.

I have to agree, I play r/g ramp and there's so many other creatures I'd rather play. Getting the one land off it is also not nearly as relevant if you've got enough already out to cast it in the first place.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
The one line that makes the Hydra seem anything less than bad is having a Shrine of the Forsaken Gods out, searching a Shrine out with Hydra, and casting turn 7 Ulamog. But that's not good enough to make it playable.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

stinkles1112 posted:

The one line that makes the Hydra seem anything less than bad is having a Shrine of the Forsaken Gods out, searching a Shrine out with Hydra, and casting turn 7 Ulamog. But that's not good enough to make it playable.

It'd be cool if that Hydra was actually just the spider that could block 7 extra creatures in addition to having the fetch land clause. >_>

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

stinkles1112 posted:

Or just grabbing a utility land of some kind.

I mean it doesn't look amazing but Hydra grabbing Mirrorpool seems like a cool and good thing.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I mean I probably put the Hydra in Animar because it's a Big Butt That Grabs Cradle but hey.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It doesn't seem like that bad of a card in the ramp deck. Blocks well, ramps you by 2 mana or can find you a Sanctum which will later turn into a huge threat.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

When the gently caress did Thopter Foundry shoot up to 10 bucks?!

:captainpop:

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Yesterday. I'll sell/trade you a foil playset :getin:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

When the gently caress did Thopter Foundry shoot up to 10 bucks?!

:captainpop:

after sword of the meek got unbanned in modern yesterday

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Molybdenum posted:

Yesterday. I'll sell/trade you a foil playset :getin:

Got mine when they were 70 something cents each, I'm just baffled.

Also, the Commander 2013 ones are 10, the Alara Reborn ones are 8 :wtc:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What artifacts are you supposed to feed to Foundry? I guess I don't see how it's so much better than Bitterblossom. I know you can do it as an instant and multiple times a turn, but for mana and a permanent.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

What artifacts are you supposed to feed to Foundry? I guess I don't see how it's so much better than Bitterblossom. I know you can do it as an instant and multiple times a turn, but for mana and a permanent.

Sword of the Meek

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

BizarroAzrael posted:

You sac sword of the meek to the foundry to make a 1/1 that fetches sword from the graveyard.

Repeat until out of mana.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Kalli posted:

You sac sword of the meek to the foundry to make a 1/1 that fetches sword from the graveyard.

Repeat until out of mana.

Gain life equal to mana spent this way.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
you can even sacrifice any other artifact to get sword of the meek out of your graveyard

but don't do this with a tempered steel in play, obviously.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I think its going to be easier to fight off Thopter-Sword in a hate-driven format like Modern than they might be imagining because various forms of hate on decks like that are pretty common.

Is Ancestral Visions a very good card against Jund-like attrition decks? Yes, absolutely. But its also possibly too slow for the format in general.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Yeah, noted SB allstars ancient grudge, kataki, stony silence, pithing needle, RiP, etc. all became much more important but decks already run them in good numbers thanks to affinity.

VVVVVVVV Bug/rug good stuff?

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 5, 2016

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Angry Grimace posted:

Is Ancestral Visions a very good card against Jund-like attrition decks? Yes, absolutely. But its also possibly too slow for the format in general.

The only place I can see Visions is in a re-worked version of Storm, as an alternate to Serum Visions or Sleight of Hand as your T1 play. It's crazy if it's copied off an Ascension, but the fact that you can't cast it the turn you're going off is awkward. Maybe Storm will start using Epic Experiment instead of (or in addition to) Past in Flames?

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
im really trying to get partisan/zada to be a thing

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

The only place I can see Visions is in a re-worked version of Storm, as an alternate to Serum Visions or Sleight of Hand as your T1 play. It's crazy if it's copied off an Ascension, but the fact that you can't cast it the turn you're going off is awkward. Maybe Storm will start using Epic Experiment instead of (or in addition to) Past in Flames?

I just don't see these two unbannings as becoming pillars of the format, which is why I was critical of Reid Duke's freak-out article. Neither Thopter-Sword nor Ancestral Vision do anything nearly as busted as "2 mana untapped land." Visions can't be cast by Snapcaster to begin with and even if it could, something like Leyline breaks both Thopter-Sword and Snapcaster (assuming, as Reid says, this is the problem that's going to break modern decks open.) As neat as Thopter Sword is, its two cards that basically don't do anything on their own, and something like Jace, the Mind Sculptor isn't legal to go find your combo.

I dunno, its just like Bitterblossom to me: a remnant of a busted deck where lots and lots of pieces of an actual busted deck are still not legal. Chrome Mox and the Depths combo aren't legal and I simply don't find it that likely that Ancestral Visions makes control a viable deck on its own.

Molybdenum posted:

Yeah, noted SB allstars ancient grudge, kataki, stony silence, pithing needle, RiP, etc. all became much more important but decks already run them in good numbers thanks to affinity.

VVVVVVVV Bug/rug good stuff?
I mean, that kind of deck exists in Legacy, but a lot of what makes Ancestral Vision so good in Legacy is that Shardless Agent (or Bloodbraid Elf) is a legal card.

If there's any deck I'd put AV in its Faeries and that's already in the Third Tier Toilet.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

If Ancestral Vision does anything it'll be in a deck with Goblin Dank-Memers, Infant Jace, and probably black or white because RUG isn't allowed to be good in any format. Also probably some number in grindy blue deck sideboards.

• Locked thread