Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Lol. The paranoia is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

foxatee posted:

Ignore this gently caress face. I'd be concerned about the ID, too. I've got a five year old daughter. Being concerned is part of being a parent. Just report it to the authorities. Regardless of how it got back there, it'll hopefully get sorted out, and now maybe you can install some motion sensor lights to ease your worry.

He's trolling no worries. But yeah it's definitely my son that really concerns me. Both of our dogs have decided they want to take on the job of guard dogs. I'm thinking of putting our bigger girl (86 lbs) in my son's room at night just to help keep watch.

My wife is calling the non-emergency authorities on her lunch to try to schedule a quick appointment for this evening. I'll paraphrase the conversation with the cop to end the debate. Most likely it's not a big deal for us, and our neighbor will get his license back.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Knyteguy posted:

He's trolling no worries.

Yeah... I am really not. I think you all are crazy paranoid.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Knyteguy posted:

He's trolling no worries. But yeah it's definitely my son that really concerns me. Both of our dogs have decided they want to take on the job of guard dogs. I'm thinking of putting our bigger girl (86 lbs) in my son's room at night just to help keep watch.

Uh? Dogs are much bigger threats to babies than burglars (yes, even your cuddly lump who wouldn't hurt a fly.) There's not much resale value on an infant. This is some strange parenting paranoia.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
While I agree sprwozek is overboard, I do think you should get a bit closer with your neighbors, KG. I can't imagine having my first reaction to finding a neighbor's license to be "call the police" but that's because I know all of the families on our street. Maybe try to have a barbecue this summer and invite everyone over so that you feel more comfortable in your neighborhood?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

spwrozek posted:

Oh no someone saw me naked. So what.

Not everyone is an exhibitionist, spwrozek.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

BarbarianElephant posted:

Uh? Dogs are much bigger threats to babies than burglars (yes, even your cuddly lump who wouldn't hurt a fly.) There's not much resale value on an infant. This is some strange parenting paranoia.

I disagree*.

Inept posted:

Not everyone is an exhibitionist, spwrozek.

lol

moana posted:

While I agree sprwozek is overboard, I do think you should get a bit closer with your neighbors, KG. I can't imagine having my first reaction to finding a neighbor's license to be "call the police" but that's because I know all of the families on our street. Maybe try to have a barbecue this summer and invite everyone over so that you feel more comfortable in your neighborhood?

I know the immediate neighbors. I caught a ride from one of them when I locked my keys in the house on my lunch break once.

I don't know how much I want to invest in neighborly relationships though. We don't even know if we're renewing our lease in 6 months. Probably, but that's a two-way street with the landlord. That's something I'd enjoy more when we actually owned a house.

Oh and on the topic of crazy loving neighbors - my mom was dating a neighbor who said I, a teenager of 15 years old, was pointing a rifle out my window at him towards his house. THAT'S paranoia. Cops came and everything to investigate.

* about the paranoia. The dog stuff - noted. I need to continue to think it over, which I have been for awhile.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 5, 2016

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Yeah, I don't think you're being irresponsible for having dogs or anything like that, but it's statistically way more likely for your kid to be hurt by a dog than by a malicious stranger.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Grumpwagon posted:

Yeah, I don't think you're being irresponsible for having dogs or anything like that, but it's statistically way more likely for your kid to be hurt by a dog than by a malicious stranger.

For sure. We already isolate the baby from the dogs whenever the baby is at floor level via a dog gate. I only allow close interactions when I'm holding him.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
You should go to Home Depot and grab some paper temporary blinds. Super cheap.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
In the Gooncaves & Gardens thread Aquatic Giraffe posted about someone being in their house while they were gone.

Jan 20

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Last week I came home from work to a bunch of stuff in my house re-arranged and my dog had barked himself hoarse. No signs of forced entry anywhere, no valuables missing, just a room that was previously a mess of flattened boxes suddenly having the boxes neatly stacked in the middle of the room :wtf: I'm the only one here, my husband is out of town, and the dogs definitely didn't do it.

Option A is to get the security system up and running.

Option B is to put a few Nest cameras around the house but the dogs will be constantly tripping the motion sensors.

Option C is to do nothing and chalk it up to the fact our house has a friendly cleaning ghost :ghost:

We're currently leaning towards options B or C.

Jan 22

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Only other "hmm"-inducing incident since I've been here was coming home on a day it snowed a few days before the box incident to find tire tracks that weren't mine going the whole way up my driveway with no footprints so they just pulled in then left. Could've just been someone just turning around but they pulled awfully far up to do so.

Feb 02

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Came home today to find our patio furniture slightly rearranged in a way that we can't just blame the wind for.

Ordering cameras and a padlock for our fence ASAP.

They still post in that thread, but not about that situation in particular. Hopefully it turned out to be nothing, but regardless I'm of the same opinion as Clocks regarding filing an incident report.

Also - talk to your doctor about your sleeping issues. Lack of restful sleep has an impact on impulse control among other things. I know when I don't get enough sleep it makes it really, really hard to deal with stress because I'm already feeling like crap from fatigue.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

ladyweapon posted:

In the Gooncaves & Gardens thread Aquatic Giraffe posted about someone being in their house while they were gone.

They still post in that thread, but not about that situation in particular. Hopefully it turned out to be nothing, but regardless I'm of the same opinion as Clocks regarding filing an incident report.

Also - talk to your doctor about your sleeping issues. Lack of restful sleep has an impact on impulse control among other things. I know when I don't get enough sleep it makes it really, really hard to deal with stress because I'm already feeling like crap from fatigue.

Weird. I wonder if it was family...?

Yeah the lack of sleep is kind of screwing me up. It's just my night owl coming through I think - I worked graveyard shift for 2 years.

RheaConfused posted:

You should go to Home Depot and grab some paper temporary blinds. Super cheap.

Not a bad idea. I'll swing by this weekend and check them out.

License:
So a sheriff's deputy came by for the license. He said he'd run some checks and get the license to the guy while trying to finagle out if he lost it. It's anonymous so no worries. He also agreed it could have been someone that stole his license. I made sure it wasn't accusatory.

Next step we'll ask for some motion sensor flood lights.

Anyway I appreciate the conversation here. I was undecided on how to proceed. I asked in the first place because the decision was affecting my mood, which affects finances.

Debt:
I did a debt pay down projection earlier. I believe we'll have about $4,000 left on the car at the end of this year. That scenario is somewhere in the middle of *everything goes right* and *many things go wrong*. 2016 has seen us pay off $6,000 in car debt so far. My projection would bring that to $15,000 paid down on the car. I'm not planning around this, but I thought it would be an interesting exercise.

Mood:
I need to paraphrase what I was thinking yesterday while I remember. Basically stress is the root of all of my problems. After paying attention to my mood lately, when I feel stressed is when I feel the most down (like now). I need to come up/implement healthy stress coping and reduction methodologies. Right now those have been smoking, drinking, drugs (though much more rarely), spending money, etc. Vices. Stress is what leads to my anxiety, it often makes me do things that cause me to feel depressed (such as impulse spending, cocaine, etc), and it must be terrible for my health. I can root nearly all my recent (3-5 years) poor actions to stress. I believe that one of the ways that stress manifests itself in my life is as anxiety.

I also don't feel I need to will my way through every symptom, because that's what I always try to do. I can will my way through some, but I'm bound to fail if I don't treat the problem. I have some ideas here that I'm still fleshing out. Obviously a therapist will help with this also.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 6, 2016

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
If stress is the root if all your poor actions then why isn't therapy your first course of action to combat it?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Fix your sleep dude. I know for my mental health making sure I get a regular 8hr a day in makes a huge difference.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

n8r posted:

Fix your sleep dude. I know for my mental health making sure I get a regular 8hr a day in makes a huge difference.

Yep. Agreed. I had to totally cut out caffeine and go to bed on time for several weeks before seeing a difference. But now that I sleep well, it's so much more obvious how I was barely holding it together before.

Sorry I keep forgetting to tell you what perc books I have, Knyteguy. They're at school so my students can borrow them and I have had zero spare time to even look in that drawer. But I'll do my best to do it by the end of the week.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Veskit posted:

If stress is the root if all your poor actions then why isn't therapy your first course of action to combat it?

While we all can appreciate that every post you make in this thread will be about therapy, there are plenty of other (less expensive and more effective) ways for dealing with stress.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

khysanth posted:

While we all can appreciate that every post you make in this thread will be about therapy, there are plenty of other (less expensive and more effective) ways for dealing with stress.

Well....

He used to take walks, but doesn't really do that anymore.
He used to work out, but doesn't really do that anymore.
He used to smoke, but doesn't do that anymore (hooray!).
He used to drink, but doesn't do that anymore (hooray!).
He's still working on buying stuff.

So therapy is a fine option, and it's not like he's averse to the idea. But please provide other ways of relieving stress, rather than alluding to this knowledge, because your post means diddly squat otherwise.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

He could meditate but it's hard to practice to start without someone to teach you mindfulness. Also you need time and a place for that and a 1 year old doesn't help that. I'm not sure what is free?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

Hawkgirl posted:

Yep. Agreed. I had to totally cut out caffeine and go to bed on time for several weeks before seeing a difference. But now that I sleep well, it's so much more obvious how I was barely holding it together before.

Sorry I keep forgetting to tell you what perc books I have, Knyteguy. They're at school so my students can borrow them and I have had zero spare time to even look in that drawer. But I'll do my best to do it by the end of the week.

Yeah I'll look at cutting out caffeine past noon or something. You guys are right. I slept like a log last night finally. Well midnight to 7:50am. One wake up I think.

No worries on the books I'm interested but not in any real hurry. If you get a moment that'd be cool.

Stress stuff - well like I said I was thinking on on it so I could come up with some sort of routine to help out. We have a punching bag and I have two pairs of gloves (from Thailand even!), so there's that, drums, and I can fit some walking/weights in there. I play drums pretty physically to the point that I'm sweating, so it's great exercise. Fun too so all around good. Meditation I used to do informally.

However I'm also incredibly concerned about taking on too much self improvement stuff at once. Quitting smoking/drinking is tough, so I'm pretty much focused on that. My mom screwed up my last weekend, so this weekend it's more yard work, and I'll get the drums going. We're finishing that spring cleaning. I'll try to get that stuff for sale. I'm sitting on hundreds of dollars of unused stuff which is bothering me.

What I'd like to do moving forward:
- Wake up early for exercise. I keep getting off track here.
- Daily drums (15 minutes).
- End the day with a nice healthy meal and an hour walk.

Implementation is key. Perhaps I can start tomorrow, since actually now that I think about it, besides waking up early none of that is really will-related. It's just that I need to build a habit. I'm just kind of readjusting to things after my mom going through all that crap this weekend, so I feel a little more ready and positive again.

Sober how are things going? My wife and I split a Roku for $140, but I'm taking that back tomorrow. I'd keep it but it doesn't do DTS-HD MA passthrough, which I researched and they (Roku) said it did before I bought it, so I'd rather have the money back. $50 for the month besides that. I also quit FFRK because I couldn't help but spend like a dollar or two a day.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I'm not making this as a dig against you, but more that I'm asking you to honestly reflect on your habits and how they affect your life,

But what habit in the past 2 years have you stuck to for more than 6 months? Habit including a routine with a common frequency (everyday, month, week)

You can throw in bad ones too those are really useful

Veskit fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 8, 2016

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

I'm not making this as a dig against you, but more that I'm asking you to honestly reflect on your habits and how they affect your life,

But what habit have you stuck to for more than 6 months? 3 months?

Well I smoked for 5 years then 2 years then 8 months. I drank for 4 years then 2 years then 2 years.

Good habits? ;)

I regularly went to MMA classes for 1.5 years. For 3 months of that I used to get up at 6:50am every day for Muay Thai classes for 3 hours, then sometimes again at night for another 3 hours. I only did that regularly for about a month and a half though (got a little burnt out). It got more irregular after that. However I walked every. single. day for at least an hour for about 6 months and last 20 lbs, and that was during the thread even. There was a point when my wife and I were walking over 6 miles a day, and at least 3 miles a day.

I used to work out regularly during the MMA as well. I didn't really follow a plan but I'd lift weights 2-4 times a week and treadmill for a few miles also.

So yeah none of this is crazy or new to me. I just need to build the habits again.

I used to drum for at least 15 minutes a day for like 2 years.

Oh and I Mood Panda every day right now. 15 days of logs so that's building.

e: ope already did before I caught your edit.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Sorry for all the edits, but seriously keep it to past 2 years, and 6/3 months both.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

Sorry for all the edits, but seriously keep it to past 2 years, and 6/3 months both.

Then from what I posted above that would be the walking, smoking, drinking. 6+ months each. I mean there's the obvious ones like getting up to go to work in the morning (3 years), etc.

I guess there's also:
Budgeting. Nearly every day for the past 4 months (since this is consistently without fail) I've YNABd or looked at the budget.
Often I look at the thread which is heavily financial (though I wish slightly more so sometimes). That's 2.5 years.
For 3 months I've made an additional principal debt payment.
I've been checking my credit once a week for about 9 months.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Here is a habit to get into. Pick a regular bedtime and get 8hr of sleep a night.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Well Knyte, you have a hard time sticking to things, but that's very documented in what you just said and in the thread itself. I don't think you've ever discussed what is the root cause of you unable to have a good habit for a solid amount of time (6 months +), but really until you do, it's not going to be a constant rise and crash, and again, the crashes are very well documented. I don't think any of your new plans are plans to level you out, but more to just plug the symptoms until you feel fine enough to move on from it.

I will say the things you stick to are either addictive in nature Or involve you having interactions with people, IE the MMA, the thread, and football. I again have to say I think you need to be social with both a therapist and a psychiatrist to really look into what is causing this inability to keep positive change in your life consistent and long lasting. It happens again and again in the cycle where you have a good or bad idea, execute it at maximum effort for a month or so then drop it.

And none of us know why yet. Why are you intent on treating the symptoms when you're so close to getting at the cause of the thing. If there's a real underlying issue, if you fix that the good habits will follow. If there's a mental disorder (which you've alluded to) then the symptoms that you're describing very well could be from the disorder and not your habits.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

Well Knyte, you have a hard time sticking to things, but that's very documented in what you just said and in the thread itself. I don't think you've ever discussed what is the root cause of you unable to have a good habit for a solid amount of time (6 months +), but really until you do, it's not going to be a constant rise and crash, and again, the crashes are very well documented. I don't think any of your new plans are plans to level you out, but more to just plug the symptoms until you feel fine enough to move on from it.

I will say the things you stick to are either addictive in nature Or involve you having interactions with people, IE the MMA, the thread, and football. I again have to say I think you need to be social with both a therapist and a psychiatrist to really look into what is causing this inability to keep positive change in your life consistent and long lasting. It happens again and again in the cycle where you have a good or bad idea, execute it at maximum effort for a month or so then drop it.

And none of us know why yet. Why are you intent on treating the symptoms when you're so close to getting at the cause of the thing. If there's a real underlying issue, if you fix that the good habits will follow. If there's a mental disorder (which you've alluded to) then the symptoms that you're describing very well could be from the disorder and not your habits.

I haven't alluded to a mental disorder. I've been alluded to having a mental disorder mostly from you, and I finally bit after 2 years and said "it's a possibility I'll look into it". That's why I'm MoodPanda'ing. But I don't have enough data yet. I don't think there's anything wrong if I did have a mental disorder, but be honest; don't call me a fish (or say I swim like a fish) for 2 years and then get me thinking "well I could be a fish" and then say "aha! see you're probably a fish you said it yourself!" It's OK if I'm a fish but it's OK if I'm not too.

In what I just said I mentioned that for 6+ months I walked. I also quit smoking for nearly two years (look at the OP it's mentioned I quit before the thread). I played with fire by having a smoke or two while drinking with my old friend and hosed up by getting addicted again.

You're right that many of my habits are done socially - I hadn't realized that. I started drinking socially because high school sucked when all my childhood friends moved or graduated, and drinking made me an instant group of friends. I started smoking because my friends smoked. Walking I stuck with because of the company of my wife. Fighting was all me. I went to the gym because I generally went with my coworkers. I started drinking again after 3 years because my boss, on my first week of work, took me out to a bar with him on a business trip, and I wanted to start things off "right". Smoking? With my friend again as I just mentioned. Cocaine? With friends. Budgeting? With the thread. Football? With my boss is what got me started (fantasy football). Though I'm getting so ingrained here that I don't think I'll ever not budget.

What's ironic about that is I often avoid social situations. Much of the time I feel like they're obligations rather than just for fun.

But I don't think I necessarily have an intrinsically predisposed hard time sticking with things. Maybe I'm just easily influenced. In fact I think I am historically easily influenced, and that's actually something I'd like to change about myself. I've actually been working on that via improving my critical thinking skills for awhile. Still more to go though.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I don't think there's anything wrong with having one either, but I'm not going to say you have one. We talked about it earlier, I apologized for my behavior. My point is that if you have one then there's nearly as much the thread can do for you than other resources that are available.

Knyteguy posted:

But I don't think I necessarily have an intrinsically predisposed hard time sticking with things. Maybe I'm just easily influenced. In fact I think I am historically easily influenced, and that's actually something I'd like to change about myself.

I'm really confused over the time this thread has been around, who has influenced you to stop doing good behaviors? Like flat out drop them.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with having one either, but I'm not going to say you have one. We talked about it earlier, I apologized for my behavior. My point is that if you have one then there's nearly as much the thread can do for you than other resources that are available.

I'm really confused over the time this thread has been around, who has influenced you to stop doing good behaviors? Like flat out drop them.

I know. There's no hard feelings anymore. Just calling it how I see it.

How I see the good habits being broken is: it's not the good habits that break on their own. It's the bad habits that break them.

Walking stopped because we got a puppy who couldn't stay home alone, and we couldn't take her on walks without a parvo worry. The bad habit? Giving in to an impulsive decision. Budgeting/saving/debt payoff, good habits, have been broken by bad habits like drinking (I was impulse purchasing so terribly when drinking), smoking ($$$$), and just relative glut.

A lot of this poor behavior me continuing to work off some lovely habits I got into again after a long, hard bout with depression. Maybe 3-4 years of it. Longer less hard depression for about 10 years before that. In the tough bout I was sadder than I've ever been, and hardly anything mattered to me except my wife and making money. Definitely not my own well being. I stopped working out and being in shape because of that depression. I started drinking again because of that depression. I started smoking again because of that depression. I didn't really give a poo poo about anything but the immediate. Whatever would help me feel better in the moment.

Do that for 3-4 years and you'll realize it sucks! Haha. But I am getting better still. I still have bouts of it like this week with my mom, but for the most part I feel like life is good. I'm generally happy. That coupled with awareness has allowed me to reduce damage. However incredibly stressful situations still trigger it (God Twitter or whatever ruined that word).

So it's just a combination of ten different things I guess. How I feel now is, like I said: I beat the stress, I beat the rest. I've worked through much of the depression with my psychologist, and I feel like it's in my hands now. I can have all the tools in the toolkit in the world, but it doesn't matter if I don't use them.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Ok - I'm going to offer real advice here. I have also had major insomnia for decades. I would sleep for about 4 hours, wake up and stress/worry/make mental lists for 2-3 hours, sleep for another hour, and then feel like poo poo. I was always afraid to try ambien or anything like that, because as a parent, I didn't want to be too zonked out to get up if they made a noise. I tried benadryl & z-quil, and hated them because I felt so sludgy the next day, but after a few weeks of lovely sleep, I would occasionally do it anyway, just to get some relief.

Then I discovered this stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Sign...ords=doxylamine

$13 for a 6-month supply, I take one pill about an hour or 2 before bedtime, and I have fantastic sleep and no problem getting up the next day. I can not say enough good things about it and I recommend it to everyone I know who has trouble sleeping. And it's cheap as hell.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

April posted:

Ok - I'm going to offer real advice here. I have also had major insomnia for decades. I would sleep for about 4 hours, wake up and stress/worry/make mental lists for 2-3 hours, sleep for another hour, and then feel like poo poo. I was always afraid to try ambien or anything like that, because as a parent, I didn't want to be too zonked out to get up if they made a noise. I tried benadryl & z-quil, and hated them because I felt so sludgy the next day, but after a few weeks of lovely sleep, I would occasionally do it anyway, just to get some relief.

Then I discovered this stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Sign...ords=doxylamine

$13 for a 6-month supply, I take one pill about an hour or 2 before bedtime, and I have fantastic sleep and no problem getting up the next day. I can not say enough good things about it and I recommend it to everyone I know who has trouble sleeping. And it's cheap as hell.

That's pretty reasonably priced. I'll pick some up and give it a try. Thanks for the tip hopefully it works. I think that's a key part of stress reduction that I've been missing - a good night's sleep.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I think you should consult a doctor before engaging in using any sort of sleep aids. Stuff like avoiding screens before bed, and having a consistent bed time can make a huge difference in how well you sleep.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

Sober how are things going?

As of right this second:

Debt payment goal- $426.29 paid so far- goal is $767.66- $341.37 to go.

Discretionary spend goal- $118.57 spent so far- goal is less than $692.31- $573.74 remaining.

Personal goal- 5 workouts complete (no 5K events yet)- goal is 20- 15 total workouts (2 5Ks) remaining. I have not had any alcohol since 3/28, so 11 days so far there.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

I think you should consult a doctor before engaging in using any sort of sleep aids. Stuff like avoiding screens before bed, and having a consistent bed time can make a huge difference in how well you sleep.

Screens are probably a big one yeah. I was using Flux for awhile.

IllegallySober posted:

As of right this second:

Debt payment goal- $426.29 paid so far- goal is $767.66- $341.37 to go.

Discretionary spend goal- $118.57 spent so far- goal is less than $692.31- $573.74 remaining.

Personal goal- 5 workouts complete (no 5K events yet)- goal is 20- 15 total workouts (2 5Ks) remaining. I have not had any alcohol since 3/28, so 11 days so far there.

Right on so it sounds pretty on track. Glad to hear it.

I ended up making that sale as I said: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771639&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post458508653

Flex goal met.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

n8r posted:

Seconding this. It's generally a bad idea to regularly use sleep meds for more than a week or two - you can get dependant on them & get rebound insomnia if you stop taking them. Better sleep hygeine is more effort than popping a pill, but is more sustainable in the long run.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I'm aware of f.lux, but I'm not sure using it totally negates the screen effects. Far better off reading a book or listening to music/podcasts.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

You could try melatonin or get a sleep study

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
The biggest effect on my sleep is when I eat good and get some sort of exercise during the day. Both of those things are free, one of them is not easy, however.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

I'm aware of f.lux, but I'm not sure using it totally negates the screen effects. Far better off reading a book or listening to music/podcasts.

I'm trying to move away from tangible media, except for stuff I'm actually collecting, but a podcast would be nice. Nothing puts me to sleep faster than an audiobook or podcast now that I think about it.

Veskit posted:

You could try melatonin or get a sleep study

Melatonin wouldn't be bad.

What's with the red title?

Haifisch posted:

Seconding this. It's generally a bad idea to regularly use sleep meds for more than a week or two - you can get dependant on them & get rebound insomnia if you stop taking them. Better sleep hygeine is more effort than popping a pill, but is more sustainable in the long run.

Yeah ideally I'll like to just exercise to the point where I have to sleep. Really though a hard rule of getting off the computer/tablet/phone at 9:30pm-10:00pm probably would be OK. I'd be fine with 11:00pm to 7:00am most days. Better if I could get myself to wake up early.

dreesemonkey posted:

The biggest effect on my sleep is when I eat good and get some sort of exercise during the day. Both of those things are free, one of them is not easy, however.

Which one? I find eating good harder than exercising.

Finances:
$205 in sales so far on the thread.
Changed up cat and dog food to something cheaper (both vet recommended).

Started using Amazon subscriptions. Holy crap this is a great way to save money. 15% off already cheaper prices than we're paying for stuff, plus 3% cash back with the rewards card. And we're getting like 40% off what we normally pay for diapers.

We're looking at like 30-40 saved per month just by using this. Nice. I may have to change my mind about Prime it seems like a no-brainer. I'll see if my grandma will add me to her account instead.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 11, 2016

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

What's with the red title?

When you dance with fire too much you get Berned :bernget:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Knyteguy posted:

Which one? I find eating good harder than exercising.

Yea, eating good is hard for me. Not snacking/gluttoning after dinner helps me sleep better and cures my acid reflux.

• Locked thread