Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Not really having followed gamergate and its associated horrors at all, I'm just flabbergasted at how this is getting any kind of response at all, never mind being a seemingly big deal. Just completely floored. Talk about a storm in a teacup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Eh, said gently caress it and bought it anyway just because of the controversy.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
So what's the controversy?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kontradaz posted:

There was a Gamergate joke in the expansion.

And that's all the discussion we need to have of it! Thanks everyone!

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

insanityv2 posted:

Also the bonebats sprites were recycled from PST weren't they? Lol. I'd personally have at least palette swapped the wights and other IWD assets so they felt a little less copy pasted.

However, I do have to say that that copy/paste feel of the assets is p much my only major complaint about the game.
If Beamdog is hiring anyone soon I hope they make it an artist that adds new sprites. They've come a long way when it comes to maps, but one new sprite for a full expansion kinda doesn't really cut it and together with the endless cameos and developers voicing side characters led to a feeling of playing a fan game that I sometimes had when playing SoD.

Kontradaz posted:

Apart from the Minsc/Gamergate line, there's a cleric called Mizhena who tells you she's trans and came up with her name herself when you ask about her strange name. It never comes up again.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Here's a gimmick run I've been wondering about. Is it possible to win without ever equipping a weapon? I'm pretty sure it's not hard once you hit mid-BG2 and get access to Lower Resistance and can nuke everything down with magic, even if you have to rest a fair bit, but BG1 is trickier. You'll have to run away from jellies I suppose, and maybe just stealth past golems, but the real hard part will be the early game, when you have is 2 casts of magic missile and thousands of xp away from level 2 spells. Imoen's wand will be pretty important.

I'm also not sure it's possible to finish the werewolf island quest. What sort of damage output do you need to counter the boss's regeneration?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Wizard Styles posted:

If Beamdog is hiring anyone soon I hope they make it an artist that adds new sprites. They've come a long way when it comes to maps, but one new sprite for a full expansion kinda doesn't really cut it and together with the endless cameos and developers voicing side characters led to a feeling of playing a fan game that I sometimes had when playing SoD.

Apart from the Minsc/Gamergate line, there's a cleric called Mizhena who tells you she's trans and came up with her name herself when you ask about her strange name. It never comes up again.

So there is a controversy about having a trans character in the game? Wut.

I kind of get the Minsc comment controversy (like 1%) but not the trans thing.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Karoug regenerates 5 HP/second in my installation. That's a bit more than I thought, maybe it's an SCS thing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kontradaz posted:

Yes. A lot of the gaming community at large is very bigoted, in news that won't exactly shock anyone. That said,

FactsAreUseless posted:

There was a Gamergate joke in the expansion.

And that's all the discussion we need to have of it! Thanks everyone!

So we should probably stop posting about it!

e; vv cool. :)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 5, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Wizard Styles posted:

Karoug regenerates 5 HP/second in my installation. That's a bit more than I thought, maybe it's an SCS thing.

Does he have any lightning resistance? You DO fight him in an enclosed space, so maybe the way to go is to buff up with Protection from Lightning and fill the area with infinitely rebounding lightning bolts.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

So we should probably stop posting about it!
To clarify, I'm not going to stop anyone from discussing the new trans character or queer representation in the BG series (it's long been part of the modding community) or whatever. Just don't talk, specifically, about Gamergate.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Mzbundifund posted:

Does he have any lightning resistance? You DO fight him in an enclosed space, so maybe the way to go is to buff up with Protection from Lightning and fill the area with infinitely rebounding lightning bolts.
50% resistant to all elemental damage.
No magic resistance, though.

e: For completeness' sake, he has 66 HP, so you should be able to burst him down, I'm just not entirely sure with what. May be a time for Skull Traps and sequenced Magic Missiles.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 5, 2016

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
I think they are hesitant to add new models because the old models the original sprites were derived from were lost and they are worried new ones would look out of place? I don't think the existing sprites in the BG series look particularly good, and I would tolerate inconsistent sprites just fine. Hell just make some low detail low poly paperdolls and redo all the sprites if they are such an issue. I'd pay to see that in new content.

ALSO ya blades are suboptimal but Offensive Spin + Use Any Ability + Carsomyr on an evil party is p fun.

ALSO ALSO I always, always, always pop an invis potion and sneak past Karoug, grab the bastard sword and dagger, sneak all the way back down, then do the entire north half of werewolf island. Its so dumb that they giv eyou that sword AFTER karoug.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 5, 2016

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

This loving dwarf lich. :negative: I swear they were harder in SCS, ffs. I have got really poo poo at IE games.

It was relatively easy this way:
1. Witness the transformation.
2. Don't engage, go talk to the dwarves at the front of the cave.
3. They'll give you an item to deal with your problem.
4. Use the item the instant combat starts.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

It was relatively easy this way:
1. Witness the transformation.
2. Don't engage, go talk to the dwarves at the front of the cave.
3. They'll give you an item to deal with your problem.
4. Use the item the instant combat starts.

I was playing in story mode before because I was feeling real lazy and even in story mode that encounter is a bitch just because he keeps respawning constantly.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

I was playing in story mode before because I was feeling real lazy and even in story mode that encounter is a bitch just because he keeps respawning constantly.

He just goes down incredibly quickly with the item though, and it has 3 charges. And you can even go back to the dwarves and they'll reload it. I destroyed all the items and then ran across the map while hasted. Wasn't too bad. And then reloaded the item again before turning the quest in. It came in handy against the vampire later!

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Mzbundifund posted:

It's not that bad - Minsc, Imoen, and Jaheira can easily beat the opening dungeon without any help from CHARNAME, and once you get out of the dungeon you've got Korgan, Anomen, Yoshimo, Jan, & Nalia all available without needing to win a single fight, with Keldorn & Viconia available after only a single fight each. I've actually dual classed as the first action after breaking out of Irenicus' jail and been fine.

It definitely makes the plot kind of funny when you're so much weaker than some insane turnip gnome you picked up off the street.

Jan is probably the most powerful companion in BG2 next to Edwin though. It makes me happy that those two are also the most insane.

Washout fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 5, 2016

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Of course Jan is powerful. He was a god once you know.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Playing through Siege of Dragonspear. I am wondering if we fight those Crusaders who were guarding the bridge again. The Fight gets interrupted and they all have names and were fairly tough.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I don't play BG1 much because I always loved BG2 way more so I never knew about the shield amulet at the carnival. How poo poo does it make kensai actually doable in BG1. I made the kensai in my current run before I knew about that amulet and its night and day difference once I got that amulet.

Once I get Cloak of Balduran and a +2 Ring of Protection I will have far and away the best AC in the party.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Iretep posted:

What good would Bhaal coming back even do? Doesent Cyric own his domain already? I doupt hes powerful enough to start ripping domains out of Cyric.

Whether by hook or by crook, returning deities don't have much of a problem getting their domains back in the Realms, it seems. I'd say the Bhaalspawn are a crook, just like Bane hiding in Iyachtu Xvim for a decade until he could come back to power.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Iretep posted:

What good would Bhaal coming back even do? Doesent Cyric own his domain already? I doupt hes powerful enough to start ripping domains out of Cyric.

Cyric for the longest time was known to be utterly terrible at his job because he accidentally drove himself himself insane with his trap. His main job after losing the domain of the Dead to Kelemvor was to cause Strife, which he utterly sucked at, combined with his insanity deluding himself into thinking everything was going right. To the point were the other greater gods actually put him on trail to see if he was even fit for his job.

Anyway in other fun little things. Myrkul and Bhaal actually did return to life in the latest D&D edition. Reclaiming their domains of Death and Murder.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Cyric for the longest time was known to be utterly terrible at his job because he accidentally drove himself himself insane with his trap. His main job after losing the domain of the Dead to Kelemvor was to cause Strife, which he utterly sucked at, combined with his insanity deluding himself into thinking everything was going right. To the point were the other greater gods actually put him on trail to see if he was even fit for his job.

Anyway in other fun little things. Myrkul and Bhaal actually did return to life in the latest D&D edition. Reclaiming their domains of Death and Murder.

Cyric and Shar loving shanked Mystra though so he was actually good at murdering.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

cheesetriangles posted:

I don't play BG1 much because I always loved BG2 way more so I never knew about the shield amulet at the carnival. How poo poo does it make kensai actually doable in BG1. I made the kensai in my current run before I knew about that amulet and its night and day difference once I got that amulet.

Once I get Cloak of Balduran and a +2 Ring of Protection I will have far and away the best AC in the party.
Yeah, having to rely on throwing weapons for ranged attacks ends up being a bigger problem than AC with the right items.
You don't get much out of being a Kensai in BG1 because the attack and damage bonuses only make up for losing access to gauntlets, but it's definitely doable.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I just haven't been making ranged attacks. I get up into melee and gut stuff. I'm doing bandit camp now and with shield + boots of avoidance I think they are I have -10 AC to missiles and just no one can hit me.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AngryBooch posted:

Cyric and Shar loving shanked Mystra though so he was actually good at murdering.

Yeah but that was after he regained his sanity. And the other gods felt he was good enough to continue doing his job.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Kontradaz posted:

People have been complaining that it doesn't fit in with the setting, despite there being a history of that kind of thing in Forgotten Realms and MORE SPECIFICALLY in BG1 and BG2.

Kontradaz posted:

I kind of get the Minsc comment controversy (like 1%) but not the trans thing.

In the original games, there are references to Rocky and Bullwinkle, Michael Jackson, etc etc etc, and that's without even going into the optional clicky dialogue ala this line from Minsc.

Washout posted:

Jan is probably the most powerful companion in BG2 next to Edwin though. It makes me happy that those two are also the most insane.

Probably Aerie

Mzbundifund posted:

Here's a gimmick run I've been wondering about. Is it possible to win without ever equipping a weapon?

Almost certainly, I'm doing something that includes that after I finish this no magic items run.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The ultimate challenge run is playing all the way through without using CRTL+J to skip ahead when you have to run back and forth in towns.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Pwnstar I am but a man

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

People have been complaining that it doesn't fit in with the setting, despite there being a history of that kind of thing in Forgotten Realms and MORE SPECIFICALLY in BG1 and BG2

What are he other trans references in the series? All I can think of is the girdle which is basically a joke and a trap for newbies.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

rakovsky maybe posted:

What are he other trans references in the series? All I can think of is the girdle which is basically a joke and a trap for newbies.

Edwin/a in Bg2 and ToB.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

Edwin/a in Bg2 and ToB.

Oh that's fair, I rarely take Edwin with me and don't think I've ever actually completed his quest.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The original ones are both played for jokes, the difference for the transphobic folks is that SoD is respectful.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The new 5th Edition handbook actually straight up says that its cool if you want to roleplay as a gay or trans character and not to feel restricted by traditional cultural expectations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

But robocops ruined mah tabletop game *clutches yellowed, beer-stained 2e rulebook* :qq:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Things took a turn for the gay when I played through the Neera romance and a Wild Surge happened.

e: Also

rakovsky maybe posted:

Oh that's fair, I rarely take Edwin with me and don't think I've ever actually completed his quest.
You're missing out.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 5, 2016

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So in my Kensai run I just did the cloakwood mines and I should probably just do rest spawns to hit the level cap around this point right?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Minsc's gamergate line is the one thing I've seen in SoD so far that I've disliked. While BG1 and BG2 both had some meta jokes and references to pop culture, they were also walking that clever line between stupid and funny. Take, for example, Jaheira's line "If a tree falls in the woods... I'll kill the bastard what done it." We know Jaheira's a druid and she's kind of aggressive - this is funny! Khalid's line, a Porky Pig reference, doesn't quite cross into stupid territory because Warner Bros stuff is iconic (and, again, Khalid is a bit of a coward so it could be something he says). Xzar's Hannibal reference is similar. The previous lines drew from iconic pop culture while being dressed up just enough to fit the characters.

Minsc's line feels like they just wanted to be topical and make a tired meme joke. It's way too on the nose and isn't accurate for Minsc as a character. It was like, okay guys, you've made the same tired joke a hundred other people have done, well done.

The fact that angry nerds are bashing the game over it (and the transperson cleric, of course) is pretty laughable, however, but I do think it was not a well-executed joke or even one that should've been made.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Am I unusual for never having modded an Infinity Engine game without something minor in dialog.tlk loving up? Like in my BG2 playthrough, the text in the spellbook UI that tells you how to use it got replaced with dialogue from some boss bragging about how he's immortal. The description for one of the options menu toggles got replaced by a line from Anomen's romance. And in this playthrough "the remains of a fish" appears in the console log when a character joins the party. I've just come to accept it as a thing I have to deal with.

"<companion>: The remains of a fish." cracked me up though. That's a good bug. :v:

Also I'm going to ask the really important question about the cleric: does she have 18 WIS?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

rakovsky maybe posted:

Multiple gods are outright stated to be gender neutral/fluid, and switch genders on whim. Many are ambiguous.

There are multiple potions and items that allow you to switch your gender. This implies a desire for this sort of thing within the setting.

Edwin if left to his own devices will turn himself into a woman. While it's played as a joke, it also does touch on a few of the issues of trans identity.

The core theme of Baldurs Gate is how you view yourself internally, despite how others view you thanks to you being a Bhaalspawn. This is very easy to convert into traditional trans identity issues.

Elminster, a major player in the Realms turned himself into a woman for quite a long time, partially because his god wanted to hide him, partially because he requested it.

There's also the issue of "politicizing" DnD. Considering BG2 has two separate modern day abortion debates almost verbatim, and that's just what I remember offhand. I'm sure people in this thread who have played it more recently can find a lot more political topics represented in the Baldur's Gate series.

Basically, people are just assholes.