Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

So for the 10k and 25k skills on the Master Sword, what do I need to actually do to start getting the kills to count down? I'm pretty sure I have every character and weapon(No more ???s), do I need all tier 3s for both?

10K needs all the Lv3 weapons, 25K needs the Lv+ ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Bruceski posted:

10K needs all the Lv3 weapons, 25K needs the Lv+ ones.

Is this a new thing? The wiiU version iirc only had the 25k skill (Evil's Bane) which starts counting when you get all lv.3 weapons.

What are the new skills now?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Where can I get Monster Horns to upgrade Toon Link and Skull Kids combos? I got one from somewhere, but I can't find more and its bothering me to have gimped attack sets.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zore posted:

Where can I get Monster Horns to upgrade Toon Link and Skull Kids combos? I got one from somewhere, but I can't find more and its bothering me to have gimped attack sets.

Ger far enough into Legend mode to unlock the Wind Waker stages. You get one when you recruit Toon Link but otherwise that's the best way.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think it's worth doing some of the Adventure mode stuff between Legend mode missions, so you can get things like Impa's Naginata and an extra Link weapon or two to use in Legend missions

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Oyster posted:

You are really good at spouting random facts about characters and seem to have tested every combo in every scenario. I'd like to pose a few questions:

1) I'm very partial to Spinner Link. I haven't really gotten the hang of hylian sword/master sword and end up C1ing mooks and C2 to air combo-ing officers, and thus disagree with the god tier label you gave master sword, but I love the spinner. C5 and C6 for mook clearing, C1 to basic attack string for character WPG, C1-C1-C5 for giant boss WPG. It's my go-to setup for "I don't want to think" (and I have a 5-star 8-slot with compatriot, lightning+, strength VI, strength V, strength II, and hasty attacks, that probably helps), but I'd like to see your analysis of Master Sword Link to see if that'd help me get an A rank on the last Boss Rush challenge modes.

2) Ghirahim is pretty high on your list. I'm clearly doing something wrong as his Rack Up Your KO's mission is one of three I just can't seem to get an A-rank on in Twilight Map. The others are Impa and Agitha, I'll try some of the things you just posted for Agitha at least. Could you perhaps do one for Impa too? These last Twilight missions are killing me.

I've mostly taken them from someone who's actually tested these things out so credit should go to him, though I have done my own tests to see if they match up to his and have repeatedly confirmed that his information works. That's why I know the information I get from him is trustworthy.

1) Master Sword: C2 and C3 on full health fires off sword beams, as do the regular attack follow-ups, and it's the full health C2 in particular that you'll want to look at in preparation for bosses because it chips off their gauge like you wouldn't believe. Always C2 spam giant bosses (don't bother with the strong attack aerial follow-up... or any follow-up at all: just full-health C2 spam alone can take out all of the four regular bosses WPGs) when you reveal their WPGs. C2 spam at full health even lets you juggle officers (and character enemies, including the fast-recovering Koei trio) from far away which made that horrible Travel Memories Quiz with Wizzro and Volga incredibly easy to A Rank. Essentially, the best advice with Master Sword is "Don't get hit!". And with how wicked terrifying it's C2 and C3 is when at full health, you really shouldn't put yourself in a situation where you can get hit. There's an incredible ranged game to be had with the Master Sword. Also, if you do lose health, don't fret. Link's spin attack, the best attack of the Hylian/Master Sword, also has larger range regardless of health, and the damage multipliers on the Master Sword moveset are higher than the Hylian Sword moveset meaning it outdamages a 5-star 8-slot Hylian Sword with all the ultimate skills on it,, which is why Master Sword goes to top while Hylian Sword is not even close.

However, since you mentioned you liked the Spinner, the Spinner's capability on Giant Bosses is pretty great. C1 -> C5 (make sure you activate the spinner from C1) -> C3/C4 (C3 comes earlier) takes down all four regular bosses' WPGs in one go, leaving you free to WPS their sorry hide, and that's without Hasty Attacks or a special attack. You should probably swap out Compatriot for No Healing because if you lose more than 10 hearts (25 in some cases) you've already lost your chance for an A Rank. (And it makes it easier to use potions if you ever need a special attack.)

2) Ghirahim is up there because he performs extremely well in almost any situation... except mook killing where he's merely functional. His options there include C3-1, C4-1, C4-2, and C5 to a lesser extent. For C3-1, you can reliably kill a good amount of mooks that are huddled together around you through dodge-cancelling it, especially given the time it actually takes to get it out. C4-1 is best for when you need to kill a line of them. C4-2 doesn't kill as many as C4 -1, but the option is there at least (especially if they decide to surround you while you're doing C4-1). C5's AoE is surprisingly small, taking out 20, maybe even 30, and either of the previously mentioned options come out quicker. Remember, Ghirahim's capability on mooks usually come from being able to kill a fair number through quick bursts of C3-1.

For officers, C2-3 -> Dodge cancel as Ghirahim is doing the spell circle -> repeat -> C5. Works extremely well, even against the -fos family of officers. For Moblins, you instead want to do C2-1 -> dodge-cancel -> repeat, but do the string immediately as the Moblin hits the ground once first. Also, C1 to enhance attacks on officer -> string -> C4 lets you zone the locked-on officer out like crazy.

For character enemies, Enhanced C2-3 -> Dodge-cancel -> C5. The enemy is going to recover, but by then you should be high up in the air through C5 and come crashing down with an enormous hitbox. Incredibly safe to commit to. You can also use the zoning tactic described on the entry for enemy officers on these guys as well. If you want to be aggressive, go for enhanced C3. C3-1 applies a slow effect and makes character enemies fall over (and if they do, you can capitalize on it for further aggressive play). C3-2 also applies a slow effect and will almost always guarantee that the final part of C3 hits.

For multiple officers, we have C3-1, C4-1, and C5. C3-1 for when they're huddled around you + it also slows down super armor attacks letting you dodge-cancel away for safety. C4-1 is for when they're in a line. C5 takes longer to come out, but does more damage to multiple officers as well.

A general thing with Ghirahim is to remember to NEVER EVER GO C4-3! Seriously! The moblins are bad. Real bad! You're going to have to remember to never ever press enough times so that Ghirahim goes to summon the Moblins. They're that bad and there's nothing good for them if they don't randomly glitch. Seriously, this bears repeating: C4-1 and C4-2 are amazing. C4-3 SUCKS BALLS!

Ah yes, and for Giant Bosses: C1 to lock on, then C4-2 twice + string if necessary. Just remember to lock on to Argorok before you bring him down or you're not going to take his WPG down in one blow.

For Impa, just remember that Naginata is a much better weapon for her than Giant Blade (even if it's nothing special either). There's a reason I have Giant Blade as one of the bottom weapons. It sucks that much and having Water as it's element is not doing it any favors either.

If you're using the Giant Blade, C4 spam to kill around 20 mooks or so... aaaaand that's really it. It's terrible in this regard.

When it comes to officers, for slower-recovering officers, C2 up to three times (don't do any of the air follow-ups) -> C6 to end combo. For the -fos family, C2 up to three times (again, don't do any of the air follow ups) -> C3 to finish. Also, there's a bit of downtime before you can do a string, so you can't immediately mash the string button. For Moblins, C2-1 -> C1 -> C2-1 until you gently caress it up.

For character enemies, C3 has immense reach and is dodge-cancellable. You can also do a C2- aerial strong attack follow-up, but it's weak. A way to cover gaps on character enemies is to do a C1. Doing this, you should dodge-cancel and do it again until they start blocking. C5 as a lead-in can be capitalized on if you hit them successfully.

It does not have good options against multiple officers. You could lead in with C5 or use C4 to blow them away. The latter attack also breaks guards.

It's bad against Giant Bosses. Lead in C6 -> C6 breaks King Dodongo's WPG. The rest requires a special attack if you want to break their WPGs in one go: Lead in C6 -> special cancel as the final water sword connects -> C6 to break Manhandla's. Automatically start a string when you drag down Argorok with the hookshot so you can C6 -> special cancel -> C3 twice to break its WPG. Be next to Gohma's eye when you arrow it then immediately start a string so you can do a C6 -> special cancel -> C3 twice to break it's WPG.

For the Naginata, it's mook killing options are better, but still pretty mediocre. C3 is your go to move for killing mooks. C3-2 can be dodge-cancelled to perform the move faster, while going all the way can net you more kills. C4 can be used to a lesser extent but usually gets about as many as Giant Blade's C4. C5 is generally not worth it.

C2-1 x 3 -> C5 works as a combo on slower-recovering officers, though C3-3 works fine as a combo ender as well. On members of the -fos family, do C2-1 once then C5 or C3-3. On Moblins, C2-1 -> dodge-cancel -> repeat. Just remember to let the Moblin hit the ground and you can infinite them, though the timing is tight.

On character enemies, do can a C2-1 -> C3-3 as a follow-up. It's not guaranteed, but it's worth going for the damage in this case. C3-1 works as a projectile and C3-2 and C3-3 can be dodge-cancelled for safety. You can lead in with C5 as well for some good damage. Lastly, you could just to the entirety of C2 for some quick damage. C2-2 reliably breaks WPGs.

For multiple officers, remember to lay down a fire wall with C1 to control the battlefield and divide the enemy. If you commit yourself to C3, you could use that for hit-and-run tactics while scattering them at the same time. Lastly, lining them up and hitting them with C5 also works. The Naginata's tools here are much better than the Giant Blade's, that's for sure.

The Naginata does much better against Giant Bosses than the Giant Blade does. Two C1 so that they're burning the boss then a C4 to the end should take down any of the regular bosses' WPG without special or Hasty Attacks, though it's best to make sure the first C1 hits as the WPG appears. Manhandla simply requires two C1s, though I prefer going in and wailing on it after laying down the fire walls to maximize the damage done.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Girahim does a silly pose when he summons the moblins though

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Haven't tried the Naginata yet, but Impa is, after Link obviously (lol kill everything with a combo then hold X and zoom off at the speed of light with an attack ready), probably the character i'm having the easiest time with. Linkle is also good, but Impa just seems to destroy officers. Yeah, you're going to see a lot of C4. A LOT. But for officers i like the C3 -> C1 dash with a little bit of C2 for variety sprinkled in. It has some nice impact.
And probably the best WPG smash of all the characters i've tried so far (which is like 7).

seriously Link is ridiculous, high speed, good clearing AND a nice single target stab

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Girahim does a silly pose when he summons the moblins though

It doesn't excuse how awful that part of his C4 is. Unless the moblins decide to randomly glitch and explode for high damage, it's useless.

HenryEx posted:

Haven't tried the Naginata yet, but Impa is, after Link obviously (lol kill everything with a combo then hold X and zoom off at the speed of light with an attack ready), probably the character i'm having the easiest time with. Linkle is also good, but Impa just seems to destroy officers. Yeah, you're going to see a lot of C4. A LOT. But for officers i like the C3 -> C1 dash with a little bit of C2 for variety sprinkled in. It has some nice impact.
And probably the best WPG smash of all the characters i've tried so far (which is like 7).

seriously Link is ridiculous, high speed, good clearing AND a nice single target stab

Giant Blade is functional against officers, which is why I think the Giant Blade might be the best out of the five worst weapons.

As for Link, the Hylian Sword is great in many ways (though obviously outclassed by the Master Sword) but one thing: Giant Bosses. It cannot bring the WPGs of bosses down without a special (which, if I'm to be frank, is terrible, and should be saved for the Giant Bosses). Master Sword is simply better in every way (especially if it's skill is unlocked) and CAN take down Boss WPGs in one go thanks to full health C2 spam.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i didn't realise how much i missed the dominion rod until i unlocked it. i love you, giant statue

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I'm still not sure what y'all mean with things like "C3".

Also, on those KO race maps, fairies are stupidly overpowered. Sure, I'll take 300 free kills...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Keiya posted:

It's the position of the Y button in your attack chain (the C stands for Charge, for some reason).

C1 is Y, C2 is XY, C3 is XXY, etc.: http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Charge_Attacks

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Keiya posted:

Also, on those KO race maps, fairies are stupidly overpowered. Sure, I'll take 300 free kills...

C# would indicate when X (or Y if you're using Zelda controls) should be pressed to execute the move (i.e. C1 is just X/Y, C2, is YX/BY, C3 is YYX/BBY, etc.). C#-# indicates the move + the number of times the X button is pressed (so a C3-1 would be YYX/BBY, C3-2 would be YYXX/BBYY, C3-3 would be YYXXX/BBYYY).

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 6, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Holy crap Phai is garbage!!!!

I'm only like 10 battles into Adventure Mode and wanted to do my first Phai-exclusive fight an A-rank it for the heart piece, and it's impossible. It's the "fight three battles" map a little left and up from the starting point.
I mean daaaammmmn, just the second fight with the two Aeralfos or whatever they're called is taking me at least 3 minutes on its own. And then that dumb toe-wiggling sad excuse of a shadow snake. My record is at fighting him for about ten minutes without going over the 4k damage penalty. Toppled him 5 times. STILL NOT DEAD

Yes Phai, please dance around more, right into that footstomp on the other side thanks

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Most people agree that Fi is bottom of the cast. Yes, Summoning Gate which is build on randomness and getting lucky is thought of as better than Fi. That said, fully maxing out her badge tree makes her a bit more tolerable and as able to A rank missions as any other warrior.

Also, I've been unlocking the pieces for the new Illustration done in Legends, and holy hell, I can't wait to get the Reward Map to see how that one plays out. :allears:

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
fi isn't garbage, it's just that her main skill is crowd control and her weakness is one on one fights so that's an extremely bad mission for her

always make sure to have the light meter filled and remember her c5 is incredibly good

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

always make sure to have the light meter filled

This is the number one thing to remember with Fi. You'll be amazed at the difference it makes.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

fi isn't garbage, it's just that her main skill is crowd control and her weakness is one on one fights so that's an extremely bad mission for her

always make sure to have the light meter filled and remember her c5 is incredibly good

There's many officers who beat her out in crowd control, and everyone can scrape by the usual 1200 KOs needed for an A Rank on the Adventure Mode maps. Not to mention her attacks never make her stand still so you need to do a bit of controlling to maneuver her where you want to, and her attacks are rather weak. In short: Beaten out by many in the things she does well in while having some of the overall worst traits in the entire game. That's not to say that she can't A Rank a mission she's put in (though it sometimes feels that way). None of the playable warriors are as bad as that yet.

That said, you probably do want to use the C1 to fill up her light meter. With it, all of her attacks can proc the light effect, and if it's Legends, then the Imprisoned's WPG is susceptible against attacks that can proc the light effect, meaning you can chip off a good deal of the Imprisoned's WPG before it decides to rampage across the ground (maybe even take out all of it if you have the Stamina Fruit badges).

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

If Fi is dancing around uncontrollably then you went too far into her light attack string. Never go right to the end of it, it sucks.

Her being so mobile while attacking actually makes it pretty easy to (literally) dance around groups of enemies while setting up her longer combos. Her C5 and C6 are pretty effective, just remember to use C1 to charge up with light whenever the bar empties.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

If Fi is dancing around uncontrollably then you went too far into her light attack string. Never go right to the end of it, it sucks.

Her being so mobile while attacking actually makes it pretty easy to (literally) dance around groups of enemies while setting up her longer combos. Her C5 and C6 are pretty effective, just remember to use C1 to charge up with light whenever the bar empties.

What I'm talking about is that she will move with any of her attacks in her string, so you will need to use the control stick (control pad) to maneuver her.

I'm not actually much of a fan of her C5. It's not that good honestly, even with Light applied. On the other hand, her C4 and C6 is decent (but the latter comes out late into her attack string).

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Yeah that thing about dancing around uncontrollably was in response to the original complaint, I didn't see any of the other posts after that until after I'd posted mine. :v:

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
look, i'd really appreciate it if you'd all stop insulting my robot sword wife

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
C5? Perish the thought, i can barely get in a C3 for some all-toes damage before i have to dodge-cancel the gently caress outta there, or he stomps on me

I do use the light charge whenever i can, it's jsut kinda annoying that you have to come to almost a full stop for it to register, especially for a character whose gimmick it is to never stop moving. I love the fighting style conceptually, it looks really neat, it's just hot trash in that mission (which is my first fight with her aside from mid-mission switching in Legend).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Suaimhneas posted:

For some reason, the officer AI will get utterly confused by Fi's twirls and just not block her light attack chain sometimes, too. Beyond that, it's just really good at clearly trashing while moving you forward, and she's actually fun to play.

It's dumb that she doesn't have something that chains into refilling the light meter.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

look, i'd really appreciate it if you'd all stop insulting my robot sword wife

I'm sorry but your wife is trash garbage. She was trash in the game she came from and I'm glad she's trash in this one as well, because she belongs in the dump. :colbert:

Skyward Sword could have been a good game, drat it. Fi is the BonziBuddy of video game companions. She makes Clippy look helpful.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I'm sorry but your wife is trash garbage. She was trash in the game she came from and I'm glad she's trash in this one as well, because she belongs in the dump. :colbert:

Skyward Sword could have been a good game, drat it. Fi is the BonziBuddy of video game companions. She makes Clippy look helpful.

Now now, let's not say anything we can't take back, alright?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Medli gameplay footage!!!!!

https://youtu.be/aC6oVcxuP78

She looks like a combination of the Wind Waker and Agitha

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

She also seems to be Light elemental. Well, her Harp seems to be at any rate.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mabels big day posted:

Medli gameplay footage!!!!!

https://youtu.be/aC6oVcxuP78

She looks like a combination of the Wind Waker and Agitha

She's uh, pretty high-pitched.

That said, I'm so happy they're adding her because Teen Bird Girl is the best character, and she looks super fun to play :kimchi:

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Also that one Fi mission is very high level for how early it is, so come back to it later because it is a colossal pain in the rear end.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Your Computer posted:

Master, there is a 95% chance this poster is garbage and should be thrown over the edge while no one is looking.

Folt The Bolt posted:

C# would indicate when X (or Y if you're using Zelda controls) should be pressed to execute the move (i.e. C1 is just X/Y, C2, is YX/BY, C3 is YYX/BBY, etc.). C#-# indicates the move + the number of times the X button is pressed (so a C3-1 would be YYX/BBY, C3-2 would be YYXX/YYBB, C3-3 would be YYXXX).

Ah, okay. Thanks! (Also your Zelda controls strings are a little off but I use Zelda-style and my brother Warriors-style so I figured it out easily enough anyway)

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Keiya posted:

Master, there is a 95% chance this poster is garbage and should be thrown over the edge while no one is looking.

Fi is what everyone accused Navi of being

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

legoman727 posted:

Also that one Fi mission is very high level for how early it is, so come back to it later because it is a colossal pain in the rear end.

Did it yesterday at level 31 with a 5 star level 1 weapon as fi. Get level 2 dark defence and that'll cut the damage down significantly.

Save your musou attacks for when it's low health and you can use one to wipe out all its toes in a single attack. Once it's down use a c6 which will reduce its wpg to two purple tabs which you can wipe out with the time you have left.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

How do the elemental defense badges work. I thought they decreased the damage you take from everything on stages with that element as the recommended type, is there more to it?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Keiya posted:

Ah, okay. Thanks! (Also your Zelda controls strings are a little off but I use Zelda-style and my brother Warriors-style so I figured it out easily enough anyway)

Oops! I see the problem you're mentioning. Correcting that now. But yes, basically that.

Also, if I say something like R5 or R3, that's basically the normal attack string and how many buttons you push (of Y for the Warriors style and B for the Zelda style) to get to that attack. It's why I write things like Agitha should never stop at her R3 (because the YYY/BBB of her attack string is a very bad place to end her string).

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

mabels big day posted:

How do the elemental defense badges work. I thought they decreased the damage you take from everything on stages with that element as the recommended type, is there more to it?

My understanding is that each officer has a default element that applies to their attacks that's reduced by the appropriate badge.

It's anecdotal at best, but I definitely noticed a significant reduction in damage taken when I had the fight against the imprisoned with the level 2 darkness badge

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm so upset at the amount of harps adventure mode needs. Like there's only like 1 "quick" mission to get a harp and waiting for it to refresh is savage when 90% of the top screen requires it. I just want to get to Young Link dammit :argh:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

tithin posted:

My understanding is that each officer has a default element that applies to their attacks that's reduced by the appropriate badge.

It's anecdotal at best, but I definitely noticed a significant reduction in damage taken when I had the fight against the imprisoned with the level 2 darkness badge

My own experience with this is that they do pretty much what they say they do: They give you more resistance against attacks (and thus make you take less damage) on missions where their element is recommended.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Also Folt, I'm not sure if it's just because I'm in normal adventure map or what but Twili Midna has 1 badge in Weak Point Break and I'm taking out giant bosses gauge with the cannon pretty easily.

Hell most of the time on normal generals just a single light attack breaks the gauge. I have no idea what's goin on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Does anyone have some good advice for Agatha or Zant? I'm pretty bad at them and I need to finish an Adventure tile with one or the other if I want to get to Young Link

• Locked thread