Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

hemophilia posted:

And then I ran into the Vault-Tec guy! same thing. Is it jsut me or are the non-feral ghouls are a lot more sympathetic than they have been previously?

There are quite a few cases where they've pretty well thought through the idea of ghouls as veterans and nigh-immortals, and it helps that people in-setting are sufficiently copacetic about Ghouls to allow them Goodneighbor and The Slog even if they have been kicked out of Diamond City. Ghouls aren't just outcasts trying to fit in anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nien
Apr 29, 2013
Im enjoying this survival sans mods. The only thing I have is a better map mod. I'm stuck outside corvega on the overpass save point. I keep dying inside corvega but I am enjoying the challenge. What I don't want to do is go away and level up but if I go 8 deaths inside I'm thinking it's not fun any more. Level 9 on entering corcega,

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Rough Lobster posted:

They have hair now. Also they're not weirdos like that talking glowing one in NV. I butchered then at every opportunity.

You talking poo poo about Jason Bright, my dude???

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I murdered the poo poo out of the ghoul parents of the kid you find in the fridge. The moms voice just irked me so badly that I had to shut her up for good.

I may not be a good person.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You handled it better than Robbaz did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4ejCuVw-CM

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

New DLC, probably not as interesting as the robot one but at least you can make Dwarf Fortress style trap corridors now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjASHR7F79Q

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it lets you play Raider Pokemon it's gonna be awesome

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Am I confused when I read in this article that there are only going to be 3 DLCs for the season pass at $50 and one of them is this one thats only $4.99? With Automatron at $10 the last DLC better be an entire new game to make it worth it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh my god that is loving great

Zigoot
Jan 30, 2008

Its too late your money is gay now

Reason posted:

Am I confused when I read in this article that there are only going to be 3 DLCs for the season pass at $50 and one of them is this one thats only $4.99? With Automatron at $10 the last DLC better be an entire new game to make it worth it.

Yes you are. They have announced that there will be at least two more $10 dollar DLCs after Far Harbour, which is $25 bucks and is apparently larger than shimmering isles/solstheim.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Common Sensei posted:

Yes you are. They have announced that there will be at least two more $10 dollar DLCs after Far Harbour, which is $25 bucks and is apparently larger than shimmering isles/solstheim.

Well thats cool, still wish that their DLCs were more on par with New Vegas' that had three whole new areas that were pretty decent in size.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
So far, they have:

-Survival difficulty (now beta, released soonish?)
-Creation Kit/steam workshop support (not sure if they've given a date, but I hope this month)
-Wasteland Workshop (now dated April 12)
-Far Harbor (May)

They're having a show at E3 like last year. Most everything shown last year will be out by E3 (minus dishonored 2), so I hope/expect the rest of the Fallout 4 DLC will be announced there, or however they plan to wrap up the new content by the end of the year. I don't see new development beyond bug fixes happening in 2017, so hopefully we'll have TES6 then.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Reason posted:

Well thats cool, still wish that their DLCs were more on par with New Vegas' that had three whole new areas that were pretty decent in size.
I wouldn't call them decent size, they were also mostly self contained stories. These DLC usually come with some new mechanics built into the main game.

Scott Forstall posted:

so hopefully we'll have TES6 then.
oh you naive motherfucker

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bholder posted:

I wouldn't call them decent size, they were also mostly self contained stories. These DLC usually come with some new mechanics built into the main game.

Yeah it's cool. After hearthfire, I was hoping they'd decide to keep implementing DLC's that weren't just standalone minigames. Glad they're taking that route. Adds a lot of replay value. Although the standalone stuff is cool too.

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
Skyrim and FO4 DLC are so much better than FO:NV DLC. NV DLC were so disjointed. Some of the writing and design was good, but it killed any semblance of seamless gameplay. You essentially had to put your main game on hold to go off and do "stuff"

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Bholder posted:

oh you naive motherfucker

It's a long shot but I'm a sucker for their games. 2018 would match the 7 years FO3-4 got, but they released Fallout 3 only 2 years after Oblivion, who knows. Unless Obsidian wants to come back but they announced something new recently so their calendar is full. It'd suck if BGS didn't have something next year.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

lunatikfringe posted:

Skyrim and FO4 DLC are so much better than FO:NV DLC. NV DLC were so disjointed. Some of the writing and design was good, but it killed any semblance of seamless gameplay. You essentially had to put your main game on hold to go off and do "stuff"

that was a limitation of how DLC worked with the last generation of consoles, and partly a limitation of the engine itself/how the games were built. you couldn't have content added to the game unless there was hooks for it already in there, IE you basically had parts of it done and ready to go for the DLC to hook into. That's why alot of game DLC was totally separated game stuff, or dumb poo poo like armors.

I'm not saying it wasn't silly as hell though.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Colon Semicolon posted:

that was a limitation of how DLC worked with the last generation of consoles, and partly a limitation of the engine itself/how the games were built. you couldn't have content added to the game unless there was hooks for it already in there, IE you basically had parts of it done and ready to go for the DLC to hook into. That's why alot of game DLC was totally separated game stuff, or dumb poo poo like armors.

I'm not saying it wasn't silly as hell though.

None of that is true for Bethesda games. How do you think people mod them?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Even the worst FNV DLC was better than the best F3 DLC, though Point Lookout gets pretty high marks.

Even the one that just added new guns was pretty good in the sense that I'm pretty sure that DLC alone had more unarmed weapons in it than both F3 and F4 combined.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
they nerfed melee and unarmed in F4, so you wouldn't need them anyways. :eng101:

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Volkerball posted:

they nerfed melee and unarmed in F4, so you wouldn't need them anyways. :eng101:

what are you talking about, Blitz Melee loving rules

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Eel hovercraft posted:

what are you talking about, Blitz Melee loving rules

vats is for girls who dont know how to fight

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
Speccing STR and END and donning Grognak's garb and axe makes you a barbarian murder death machine with or without VATS. Doing this in Survival mode may be a challenge, but anything less is a cakewalk.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Modus Pwnens posted:

They did it that way for consoles because they had to and then didn't bother to change it for PC. Do you not understand how that might be a thing?
Please try and catch up.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If you're going to be a smug dick about it at least provide some kind of source or proof for your claims, thanks in advance god bless

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 5, 2016

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Will Wasteland Workshop have any story elements added, or is it purely Minecraft bullshit?

I've got the Season Pass so I'll be getting it anyway, but I hope it's got a bit more than just Barbie Dress-Up and Pokemon.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

lunatikfringe posted:

Speccing STR and END and donning Grognak's garb and axe makes you a barbarian murder death machine with or without VATS. Doing this in Survival mode may be a challenge, but anything less is a cakewalk.

as opposed to fnv, where picking up a rebar club off the ground made you a barbarian murder death machine. the way the blocking mechanic works now, which really drags out melee combat while you're being shot at, alongside the melee perks not being as good as they used to be for not-vats (super slam was obnoxiously strong), it's just far weaker relative to other weapons in the game now. yeah you can gimmick your way through by cranking up your endurance and wearing power armor or by doing stealth and toying around with perks, but you'd still be better off using guns. it's just not as good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The NV DLC has to be my favorite expanded content ever.

Bholder posted:

New DLC, probably not as interesting as the robot one but at least you can make Dwarf Fortress style trap corridors now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjASHR7F79Q

Happy to see new wall and floor types (something clean would be nice, though)

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

The NV DLC has to be my favorite expanded content ever.

Happy to see new wall and floor types (something clean would be nice, though)

Yeah they might have been areas that were seperate from the main map which was dumb, but they were large and each had an actual interesting story to play through. Big Mountain and the Mormon one were both pretty awesome. Shivering Isles is probably my favorite DLC of all DLCs and if Far Harbor has interesting areas/story comparable to that it will be awesome and totally worth it, I'm just skeptical I guess.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 5, 2016

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I haven't gotten any FO4 DLC and these first 2 arent convincing me (I like to be a loner in these kinds of games so robot buddies aren't very attractive to me), but I hope one thing that comes from this is the billions of weapons you get at the start, like the FONV season pass gave you. :q:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Volkerball posted:

as opposed to fnv, where picking up a rebar club off the ground made you a barbarian murder death machine. the way the blocking mechanic works now, which really drags out melee combat while you're being shot at, alongside the melee perks not being as good as they used to be for not-vats (super slam was obnoxiously strong), it's just far weaker relative to other weapons in the game now. yeah you can gimmick your way through by cranking up your endurance and wearing power armor or by doing stealth and toying around with perks, but you'd still be better off using guns. it's just not as good.

I've yet to find a non-deathclaw enemy that takes more than one running super sledge attack. Have to do drugs to one shot deathclaws, but why wouldn't you do drugs?

Edit: I like how you refer to selecting important stats and wearing armor as gimmicks.

Nasgate fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 5, 2016

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Motherfucker posted:

'ticking timebomb' *literally live and have been fine for hundreds and hundreds of years*

except for all those ones that are eating people

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
This DLC is really corrupting my game save. I'm now getting enemies that spawn in, but do not move or attack. Even if I kill them, they usually remain standing in place.

On the plus side, Codsworth is feeling pretty sassy in his new body and decided to treat me to a spoken word performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OkbNsbRlx0

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Verify local game files. The download of the new assets and patch probably got corrupted.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Jesus christ, gently caress those roving robot Mechanist/Rust Devil robot packs on survival. If they get the drop on me I die pretty much every single time :argh:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Colon Semicolon posted:

They did it that way for consoles because they had to and then didn't bother to change it for PC. Do you not understand how that might be a thing?
Please try and catch up.

Apparently, I don't. People can use mods on the consoles too. :confused: It's just that most people don't because it's cheaper and easier to get a PC than to get a modded console and risking an account ban / bricked hardware, and mods written for the PC aren't done so with console specs in mind.

You're suggesting that they use an entirely different engine and world data structure for consoles and PC and that would make no sense at all. The way Elder Scolls / Fallout games load their files starts with a base asset file which is then overridden by any DLC / mod content in load order. So there's nothing in the base assets that can't be changed/overridden by the dlc/mod files. Even if that weren't true, Bethesda could always add in "hooks" via a patch. If there's a reason that doesn't work on consoles someone will have to tell me why, because I don't see it.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Verify local game files. The download of the new assets and patch probably got corrupted.

I'm on PS4, so I don't think I have that option. I'm loading in the new 1.05 patch and if that doesn't fix it, I'll end up uninstalling / reinstalling.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Modus Pwnens posted:

I was gonna say -- they can obviously alter the main gameworld, since installing any DLC adds new doors and changes some locations a bit, like the canyon wreckage. No reason at all they couldn't have, say, expanded the main map. Doesn't matter whether it's on PC or console.

Or maybe I'm not remembering correctly and the limitation was on NPC, creature and item implementation?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Aardmania posted:

I'm on PS4
RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Saint Sputnik posted:

I was gonna say -- they can obviously alter the main gameworld, since installing any DLC adds new doors and changes some locations a bit, like the canyon wreckage. No reason at all they couldn't have, say, expanded the main map. Doesn't matter whether it's on PC or console.

Or maybe I'm not remembering correctly and the limitation was on NPC, creature and item implementation?

The problem was they didn't want to add change anything in the "main game" because anything that they edited could cause compatibility issues if somebody had one DLC but not another and they didn't want to force people to get all the DLCs.

• Locked thread