Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Playing a souls game in a language I can't even remotely understand has been a really surreal experience. It's like navigating a crowded metropolis where the streets feel familiar but you can't read any of the signs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'll be playing Ratchet & Clank ps4 and waiting to hear back how DS3 compares to BB before I dip in. I am worried I won't like it for the same reasons I didn't like the first bits of Dark Souls 1.

The Easy Allies (formerly GameTrailers' awesome dudes) review said the level design in DS3 is closer to DS2's and not as natural/interconnected as BB/DS1 and that's disappointing

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

the random ones arent random either. theres a list of room types and then the loot and enemies are random. but the layouts arent. i dont really mind cos its a boss every 5 minutes

the layout of each floor is random though. the individual rooms are designed in a modular fashion, so any room type can connect to any other.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

I'll be playing Ratchet & Clank ps4 and waiting to hear back how DS3 compares to BB before I dip in. I am worried I won't like it for the same reasons I didn't like the first bits of Dark Souls 1.

The Easy Allies (formerly GameTrailers' awesome dudes) review said the level design in DS3 is closer to DS2's and not as natural/interconnected as BB/DS1 and that's disappointing

It isn't as interconnected but saying it's closer to 2 is ridiculous, it feels like a fuller, more realized version of 1s world

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

SciFiDownBeat posted:

the layout of each floor is random though. the individual rooms are designed in a modular fashion, so any room type can connect to any other.

ive ran into identical floors millions of times, and ive done like 60-100 hours of chalice dungeons alone. if i see a room that has the office building type staircase connecting to 3 levels i know the bottom floor will always be a dead end. likewise if i see the rope bridge room i know that one of the far corridors will have a hole trap in it etc. and if theres a boulder trap then theres always a treasure room next to where the boudler drops into the pit. so they arent random. only the stuff in them is random, and which type of floor u get. the actual floors are just chosen from some kind of list of possible floors or something.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
additionally, ive ran into floors that have been exactly like floors from the story chalices except with different enemies and loot int hem, such as the 4-1 floor that has the chest with 2 ritual blood (5)s in it next to the big room with tons of those old yarnham cloth head guys. so they arent random

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

I.N.R.I posted:

the random ones arent random either. theres a list of room types and then the loot and enemies are random. but the layouts arent. i dont really mind cos its a boss every 5 minutes

thats pretty much what i mean anyway

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i wish there was just 3 story chalices (3 is the video game number)

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
I wish farming for good blood gems wasn't such a pain in the dick.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

ive ran into identical floors millions of times, and ive done like 60-100 hours of chalice dungeons alone.... so they arent random. only the stuff in them is random, and which type of floor u get. the actual floors are just chosen from some kind of list of possible floors or something.

I've played probably 50 hours of chalices and I haven't noticed this. Then again I don't know how many root chalices you've done. If there are dedicated floor layouts then there's gotta be more than a couple of them. I mean I know there are patterns to how the floors are designed (first room after the lamp is almost always connected to the drop-down room which acts as a shortcut, for example) but I don't think it's as discrete as you claim.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

someone make an orphan of Kos twitter that tweets all day nothing but AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

beep by grandpa posted:

someone make an orphan of Kos twitter that tweets all day nothing but AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I've played probably 50 hours of chalices and I haven't noticed this. Then again I don't know how many root chalices you've done. If there are dedicated floor layouts then there's gotta be more than a couple of them. I mean I know there are patterns to how the floors are designed (first room after the lamp is almost always connected to the drop-down room which acts as a shortcut, for example) but I don't think it's as discrete as you claim.

Lets agree to disagree

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

Lets agree to disagree

agreed

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

memes, or as some say maymays

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
no, i'm sorry, that's awful

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

let us sit about and post feverishly

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as you did with the fagous ZDR, grant us stars grant us stars

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the shark giants are the bonewheel skeletons of bloodborne, i've decided

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nah the worst is winter lanterns

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the regular enemy that really fucks me up are brainsuckers. i can lose like 20-some insight running through upper cathedral.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

the regular enemy that really fucks me up are brainsuckers. i can lose like 20-some insight running through upper cathedral.

I hate those little bloodsuckers

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I use my consumable thingies because gently caress those guys

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I still think the shark men are the most powerful assholes, tho

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

thoose guys are the loving worst

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

brainsuckers and winter lanterns are much easier if you use blue elixirs to sneak up on them

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

frank.club posted:

nah the worst is winter lanterns

i thought about that but my reaction to dying from those guys is a shrug whereas i got genuinely mad at the dive attacks you can dodge and still die to, which is how i reacted to bonewheel deaths

R. Guyovich fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 6, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think what fucks me up about the suckers is that they look weak but they have a surprisingly high amount of health and sneak up on you out of nowhere

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

orphan of kos is a real jerk

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
One time a brainsucker killed me by stunning and sucking my brains the exact nanosecond I came out of my recovery animation from being sucked the first time. I was loving pissed.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've definitely gotten killed by enemies that knocked me down and I'm desperately spamming the roll button and the split second i get up I got hit again and felt like a dumbass

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

I.N.R.I posted:

a boss rush or something would be nice since thats what i really like about chalices. with some difficulty options like the cursed effect. but i suppose it wouldnt really fit in with the narrative so i dont expect it

was thinking this while running the chalices yesterday. this game is built for boss rushes in the same way dmc 3 and 4's bloody palace modes were perfect (gonna keep up the dmc analogies because i see the games as vastly differently paced but with some similar combat appeal)

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Neurosis posted:

was thinking this while running the chalices yesterday. this game is built for boss rushes in the same way dmc 3 and 4's bloody palace modes were perfect (gonna keep up the dmc analogies because i see the games as vastly differently paced but with some similar combat appeal)

boss fights are my favourite thing in souls. and i like every single thing about souls games haha

Homework Explainer posted:

i thought about that but my reaction to dying from those guys is a shrug whereas i got genuinely mad at the dive attacks you can dodge and still die to, which is how i reacted to bonewheel deaths

if u died to it u didnt dodge it :P

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

what would u mod into BB if it were on pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
bloodborne is a perfect game so any mods would only make it worse