Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ColHannibal posted:

To be fair I've only seen these when I was in elementary school.

Yes! I was wracking my brain trying to remember where I've seen/used these. It was in HS art class (I think the shop/automotive classrooms had them too).

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I've worked in a place that had these in a machine shop section of the building, they're sinks. Ours had an industrial soap (think Gojo) dispenser on the central column.

I see to remember it being very abrasive cleanser that was very gritty. It's been decades.

EDIT: Content for new page:

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I roll an initiative check on the wild gazebo.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Geirskogul posted:

I roll an initiative check on the wild gazebo.

ehhh sorry,

The gazebo has the initiative.

It cast "rot" at you for 25 damage.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
 I shoot it with my bow (roll to hit). What happened?

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I've worked in a place that had these in a machine shop section of the building, they're sinks. Ours had an industrial soap (think Gojo) dispenser on the central column.
Same when I worked at HP recycling. The pedals were really nice, because it meant you could get the crud off your hands before pissing, without having to touch a tap that would probably be filthy enough to warrant washing your hands again before pissing.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Geirskogul posted:

Nothing, the arrow passes clean through.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Geirskogul posted:

the arrow thuds through the entire structure. 2 damage.

the gazebo appears angry.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
But that was a +3 arrow!

Bad Munki posted:

Nothing, the arrow passes clean through.

:vince:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Geirskogul posted:

But that was a +3 arrow!

gazebo dont give a gently caress.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

gazebo got damage and mold resistance

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hmm, should I use a fire arrow or a light arrow?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Geirskogul posted:

You pull with all your goon strength, but your grip slips because your fingers are caked in cheetos dust. Angered, the gazebo releases mold spores in your direction.

You try to run, but don't get very far because of the giant block of concrete you've been pointlessly dragging through the entire thread. Overencumbered, you reflect on why you even bothered to keep bringing it with you, but it's been so long you can't even remember why it was brought up on the first place. This is your last thought as the mildew spores take hold, leaving nothing but darkness and regret

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

OSU_Matthew posted:

You pull with all your goon strength, but your grip slips because your fingers are caked in cheetos dust. Angered, the gazebo releases mold spores in your direction.

You try to run, but don't get very far because of the giant block of concrete you've been pointlessly dragging through the entire thread. Overencumbered, you reflect on why you even bothered to keep bringing it with you, but it's been so long you can't even remember why it was brought up on the first place. This is your last thought as the mildew spores take hold, leaving nothing but darkness and regret

The next party of adventurers come through and find your corpse. They inevitability get to arguing how much the block weighs, and take it along with them because that one rear end in a top hat in the party thinks it's funny. Nobody ever thinks to cast Detect Curse on it.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 3, 2016

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

You guys are nerds

Geirskogul posted:

Sorry, "the next party of nerds stumbles upon your corpse."

Much better, thank you.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 4, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Sorry, "the next party of nerds stumbles upon your corpse."

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Bring back load bearing sheetrock. And structural paint. And and and expanding foam in fire rated doors.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

crazypeltast52 posted:

Bring back load bearing sheetrock. And structural paint. And and and expanding foam in fire rated doors.

you forgot the concrete for fucks sake.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

SneakyFrog posted:

you forgot the concrete for fucks sake.

The concrete is always around. No one wants to carry it out.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Suspect Bucket posted:

The next party of adventurers come through and find your corpse.

Hypothetically, how effective would this flabby corpse be at securing a motorcycle?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Safety Dance posted:

Hypothetically, how effective would this flabby corpse be at securing a motorcycle?

Precisely as effective as a 400 lb bag of mayonnaise. Precisely.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

mostlygray posted:

I know it looks like a sink, but seriously, people pee in these all the time in industrial facilities. You use the foot pedal to run the water. Maybe it wasn't what they were designed for, but every time I've seen one, people are pissing in them.

Welcome to Veterans Stadium at the end of any quarter.

(content)

So, it was time to replace the kitchen counter. Plus the drywall tape was sagging at the chimney. Plus the chimney's been abandoned for years. Plus we have very little counter space.

So: let's surgically remove the chimney!

Eventually, found a clay cross-pipe sticking into the clay liner. Removed cross pipe with crowbar. See daylight. poo poo.

When the coal-fired home heating appliance was removed from the dining room sometime after WWII, they stuck a brick fragment in the flue pipe & buttered it with plaster. I actually found the plug while cleaning up, and am very tempted to caulk it in place & put a l'il wooden cleat behind it, since I have that access now.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 4, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

PainterofCrap posted:

Welcome to Veterans Stadium at the end of any quarter.

If people had confined their pissing to the sinks, the Vet would have been a much nicer place.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Your cat clock kicks rear end.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/comments/4d8tm8/my_boss_kept_having_his_trump_signs_stolen_so_he/

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

I read some of those comments. Bad idea, I can feel my neurons shutting down.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I read some of those comments. Bad idea, I can feel my neurons shutting down.
It is not unlike reading this thread.

content:

Oh Hey, a door:

oh

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Before I clicked through to the image I thought "oh, so they attached a 400 pound concrete block to the bottom." :v:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

PainterofCrap posted:

So, it was time to replace the kitchen counter. Plus the drywall tape was sagging at the chimney. Plus the chimney's been abandoned for years. Plus we have very little counter space.

So: let's surgically remove the chimney!

Oh hey, I'm going to be doing the exact same thing here before too long! How difficult was it? Is the best thing to do just start at the top and chuck bricks inside the chimney till you get far enough down you can easily remove them? Mine is about two stories plus half an attic with a big fuckoff concrete plug

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

OSU_Matthew posted:

Oh hey, I'm going to be doing the exact same thing here before too long! How difficult was it? Is the best thing to do just start at the top and chuck bricks inside the chimney till you get far enough down you can easily remove them? Mine is about two stories plus half an attic with a big fuckoff concrete plug

Maul & a cold chisel to start. This was old (1930) concrete U-block with weak mortar. Once the first course was off & the clay liner exposed, I used a pry bar to pop the block sections loose and lift them off. Once more than half of the clay liner is exposed, you can just slide the sections up & out.

The toughest parts are passing through framing; there's not a lot of wiggle room, usually. I used the cold chisel to break the block into smaller sections. Once one part was removed, it was a lot easier to maneuver the rest out of the tight spot. Other than that, it was pry - pop - remove to yard.

poo poo's heavy and makes a hell of a mess. Stop periodically to vacuum up dust & bits. Have bagged cans handy to chuck in the larger bits. Pile the rest outside. If you are fortunate enough to have a cement plant nearby, beg or borrow a pickup & take it there; once you check in with them, they'll tell you where to dump it. It's recyclable, even the clay liners.

I would advise against chucking the smaller debris down the flue. It accumulates faster than you think. My house is 1.5 stories, so the entire run was maybe 21' from the roofline. I took it out down to the floor joists in the basement - about fourteen feet, so I still have another seven feet to go - and that seven feet is packed with debris.

Wear gloves, or use lotion at the end of the day. Concrete will suck the moisture right out of your (chafed) hands.

And for the love of god, don't get cute & try to undercut it & hope to drop like six feet at a time or something. You will pulp parts of yourself if you're lucky, or become a statistic if you are not. Gravity is not your friend on jobs like this.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 5, 2016

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
One of my old high school pals is a tax appraiser and every now and then he comes across interesting houses.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

killhamster posted:

One of my old high school pals is a tax appraiser and every now and then he comes across interesting houses.

Do you have load‐bearing stairs in your house?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Look at the 4x4 in the front. Looks like it has an inch or so notched out from the bottom 2 feet. I'm marking off "built with scrap" on my bingo card.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I was gonna say "it's just a makeshift wheelchair ramp" but what even is that floating screened-in porch :psypop:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Those posts look lovely (and no footings???) but it's obviously just a wheel chair ramp they added in, no need to remove the stairs. The next people to use the house can then just demo the ramp and have normal stairs back. I see that all the time with old people "aging in place". A lot of these olds get their kids to come build them a ramp or something, so they're not always built to the highest standards. Specially because the people building them don't expect the ramp to be needed for long :(

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

Those posts look lovely (and no footings???) but it's obviously just a wheel chair ramp they added in, no need to remove the stairs. The next people to use the house can then just demo the ramp and have normal stairs back. I see that all the time with old people "aging in place". A lot of these olds get their kids to come build them a ramp or something, so they're not always built to the highest standards. Specially because the people building them don't expect the ramp to be needed for long :(

I mean, they are already in a wheelchair, so...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

moist turtleneck posted:

Well yeah, the water can splash down your back when you're trying to take a dump

Gotta admit, this made me laugh.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I'm with Vulture Culture here. I'm concerned about the enclosed porch behind the ramp that looks like it's using the same scrap wood as posts.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

Nothing says Christmas at Grandmas like building a makeshift wheelchair ramp out of scrap wood (yes I know from experience :tipshat:)

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Like I've mentioned before, for the past 6 months, we've had an issue of waste collecting in the bowl of our master bathroom even when we don't use it. We've had the builder send their contractors round multiple times now, and they've really not resolved the issue.

In the past:

- They installed a non-return valve, but that got blocked up pretty quickly and they removed it
- Supposedly increased the drop twice.

This is what the riser looks like:

The plumbers proposal is to run two branches to the riser.

But I'm not entirely convinced. I can't even see how they're going to get two junctions onto that pipe *and* have them both flow downhill. I'm not even sure this is the cause of the issue any more, Could this also be caused by a sag in the pipe?

It also looks like that entire riser was an afterthought. I wonder if the hole in the concrete we found on the stairs was meant for that riser, or the soil pipe was meant to be somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

flosofl posted:

I'm with Vulture Culture here. I'm concerned about the enclosed porch behind the ramp that looks like it's using the same scrap wood as posts.

It's not scrap, it's ~recycled wood~