Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

kalstrams posted:

Can someone give me a rundown, or point to a such, as to what guns and builds are actual for loud DW? I have never done much of it, and my stealth buddy hasn't done it since late 2014.

Grinder and suit dodge, Muscle and ICTV. There you go, long as you can kill cops with what you're taking and aren't surrounded by incompetents you should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

kalstrams posted:

Can someone give me a rundown, or point to a such, as to what guns and builds are actual for loud DW? I have never done much of it, and my stealth buddy hasn't done it since late 2014.

You can bring nearly any gun and a pretty wide variety of builds into DW and find success. If you want the ~optimal~ stuff, I can give you a shorter list, but you should not limit yourself to those.

Builds slant hard towards Mastermind and either Enforcer for ICTV or Fugitive for Sneaky Bastard and Low Blow. Inspire ace is just that good. Suit or ICTV are your best choices for armor. Tell me what you want to do and I'll spin up a build for you.

Guns that are currently amazing include the M308, White Streak/Baby Deagle, KSP/Buzzsaw, Krinkov, Mosconi/Joceline, and Judge. I'm also a big fan of the CMP, SpecOps, Raven, and Commando 553. This is by no means an exhaustive list but should serve as a starting point, anyhow.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Like Cheeto said, any gun works but the game overwhelmingly favours high damage, single target guns. This means the M308 or any rifle equipped with a DMR kit, or assault rifles with 80+ damage, as well as heavy hitter pistols like the Deagle/Baby Deagle/White Streak or any of the revolvers. Most mid-range pistols can be run out of the box and do pretty good damage. Shotguns that are not the Judge/Mosconi/Joceline will require a full suite of shotgun skills for Deathwish, but if you are comfortable with them then by all means use them. On the flipside if you don't care about aiming, just about any machinegun will work but since they all do roughly the same damage the best ones will be the KSP or Buzzsaw because of their higher firerates.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
How do akimbo customs rank on the list? People don't seem to talk about them much but they drop dozers like nothing else I've played with.

And is there any way to make the Vintorez not poo poo?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

On DW, ammo efficiency can be a huge thing too, depending on the heist. It isn't safe to just wander out into the middle of the open at any old time to pick up a few ammo boxes, and you don't want to be hitting the ammo bag every thirty seconds. So be really wary of guns that neither kill quickly nor have a good reserve. Fortunately since Crimefest, most guns are just fine for that.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Zigmidge posted:

How do akimbo customs rank on the list? People don't seem to talk about them much but they drop dozers like nothing else I've played with.

Akimbo Chimano Customs are the best akimbo pistols IMHO.

Remember to build for stability on akimbo guns! It does a much better job of keeping your grouping tight than building for accuracy, and the akimbo SMGs are basically uncontrollable without maximum stability.

As for the Vintorez, you could put points into Silent Killer, but a suppressed Commando 553 is still better in just about every relevant way.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 5, 2016

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I'm disappointed in the lack of grenade launchers being listed.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Zigmidge posted:

Not really, no. You could make a silent killer/the professional build for it but any comparable rifle (Clarion/JP36/Commando) will perform much better under the same build. The absolutely tiny magazine kills that gun with how inaccurate it is now; presumably the Oppressor skills in the new Tech tree will make it better.

isndl posted:

Well what's there to explain, really? Every grenade launcher is good. :v: Oh, and the RPG. And Flamethrower.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

isndl posted:

Honestly, I just assumed all goons knew their joys.

The flamethrower is a lot of fun, too.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
If you're looking for specific suggestions, I started using the M308 and an HE Judge and immediately DW became easy mode. I've pubbed Overdrills with that and a Muscle Masterforcer and basically held the entry by myself the entire hour, without hitting ammo bags or needing health. We'd thermite'd the vault so there aren't any elevator spawns, which already makes for overdrill easy mode, but the point at least stands for ammo efficiency.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Zigmidge posted:

I have a dumb Glock bias so I prefer the akimbo Interceptors, but even then I haven't used akimbo anything in that damage range for a while. If you're acing Gunslinger it's probably worth it to use medium-damage stuff, but I just stick to basic and use light akimbos (Bernettis) and a heavy secondary or heavy akimbos (Deagles) and a light secondary. Double Deagles will drop a dozer in two or three clicks on Overkill if you're right up in his face and dissing him.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't use the M308, use the M16 DMR instead, bigger mag means far less time spent reloading, bigger safety margin and the pickup rate/reload speed is effectively the same.

For close quarters I recommend the Glock 18c with pistol skills if you're going for Inspire. It outperforms SMGs and assault rifles out to medium range. Just go easy on the trigger as you will overkill too often otherwise.

On DW if you're Host, bring the RPG. You are the only one who can use the RPG bug free and make direct hots. Non-Host RPGs will clip through any targets.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

RandallODim posted:

We'd thermite'd the vault so there aren't any elevator spawns, which already makes for overdrill easy mode, but the point at least stands for ammo efficiency.

I'm trying to remember exactly how the procedure works for this- what event is it that stops elevator spawns? Is there a way to get the combined advantages of no elevator spawns and no dozers?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm trying to remember exactly how the procedure works for this- what event is it that stops elevator spawns? Is there a way to get the combined advantages of no elevator spawns and no dozers?

I don't think so. Elevator spawns end when the vault doors open, I believe, or around about then. They're definitely active still after the thermite finishes but before the vault opens.

Edit: Theoretically, it may be possible to trigger the vault opening, but leave the dozers alive. I don't know if their scripting will allow them to path out of the vault. It may be worth a test.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Looks like I'm almost, but not quite, there. I grabbed this build from reddit late into last night when buddy fancied to do some loud stuff, and I currently have M308 with some lovely scope and nozzle that adds 2 damage, I think. I have the Judge for my offhand, but, since I've never bothered to buy any DLCs (as it's like thrice cheaper for my friend to buy them with Russian prices, and stealth missions were only thing I was interested in for the longest of times), I do not have HE shells on it so shields are infuriating. It was extremely easy on Overkill and I felt neigh unkillable and pretty cool, so I guess I'm down to any suggestions on how to build a tanky dude with mid-long range rifle better, since DW is the plan. My friend plays with this, weapons including, and is also wondering if there's something to be poopsockily optimized there.

In other news, we had some dumb pub drive our car away alone on loud Shadow Raid so I ended up being last man standing in a stalemate against two cars with pretty mean turrets on the rooftops. Would've we been alright if not for that moron, or are RPGs needed for that mission.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 5, 2016

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

oohhboy posted:

Don't use the M308, use the M16 DMR instead, bigger mag means far less time spent reloading, bigger safety margin and the pickup rate/reload speed is effectively the same.

For close quarters I recommend the Glock 18c with pistol skills if you're going for Inspire. It outperforms SMGs and assault rifles out to medium range. Just go easy on the trigger as you will overkill too often otherwise.

On DW if you're Host, bring the RPG. You are the only one who can use the RPG bug free and make direct hots. Non-Host RPGs will clip through any targets.

The DMR'd AMR-16 is quite good but the ammo pickup difference is actually significant over the course of a heist. It's a good alternative but let's not pretend there isn't a trade-off.

The STRYK isn't outperforming anything without gunslinger ace, and as Merc said the game balance favors the harder-hitting guns anyhow.

Explosives damage is calculated host-side, which makes it difficult to hit targets directly, but the positions of bulldozers on your screen should match up closely enough that if you aim at surrounding level geometry you'll do work with a RPG as a client.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm pretty sure it's one or the other; stopping elevator spawns I'm pretty sure requires the vault doors to be open. I'd say no elevator spawns is the better of the two anyway; dozers aren't too big a threat if you have any sort of HE and are holding the elevator room entrance, since it's such an effective chokepoint and HE+basically anything full-auto clowns Dozers, whereas the elevators suck to lock down. Of course neither is that big an issue if you've got a competent team, but some of us are idiots and never do anything but shove our faces into the pubstove.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

kalstrams posted:

Looks like I'm almost, but not quite, there. I grabbed this build from reddit late into last night when buddy fancied to do some loud stuff,

As a shotgun type myself, this is pretty close to my Armored Transport-focused Techforcer build and should be reasonably solid when matched with Muscle. I would strongly suggest trying to free up a few points to climb up Mastermind to get to Dominator, however. On DW, people WILL go down and it's easy to get chain-downed into custody. Being able to grab a cop to trade someone is invaluable.

quote:

and I currently have M308 with some lovely scope and nozzle that adds 2 damage, I think. I have the Judge for my offhand, but, since I've never bothered to buy any DLCs (as it's like thrice cheaper for my friend to buy them with Russian prices, and stealth missions were only thing I was interested in for the longest of times), I do not have HE shells on it so shields are infuriating.

The M308 doesn't really need to worry too much about attachments - it's got a great base. Focus more on accuracy and stability than damage, however - the M308 does enough damage that an extra +1 or +2 isn't going to really impact you, but being able to more quickly put accurate shots into heads will. With your build, I would also suggest trying out the Mosconi/Joceline, as they're well suited to DW and that build. With the Judge, it's a good secondary but without HE you're really going to be lacking something. It really is worth it to use, or to spring for the Wolfpack DLC and get the China Puff.

quote:

It was extremely easy on Overkill and I felt neigh unkillable and pretty cool, so I guess I'm down to any suggestions on how to build a tanky dude with mid-long range rifle better, since DW is the plan. My friend plays with this, weapons including, and is also wondering if there's something to be poopsockily optimized there.

Your friend's build is really weird and inefficient at best.

quote:

In other news, we had some dumb pub drive our car away alone on loud Shadow Raid so I ended up being last man standing in a stalemate against two cars with pretty mean turrets on the rooftops. Would've we been alright if not for that moron, or are RPGs needed for that mission.

Alright if not moron. It's basically almost never worthwhile to destroy those turrets on Meltdown. Just drive past.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yea, I have Muscle on. Will see what I can do about Dominator and DLCs to get some explosive offhand for pesky shields, and maybe look into the other two guns you suggested, as well as mods for accuracy. :tipshat:

As for my friend, as weird as that build is or isn't, the only person last night to come even close to his kill count was some infamy 14 dodge guy with pistols. Again though, maybe it falls apart on DW (we did just some late night OK).

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

oohhboy posted:

A friendly reminder all DMR kits are achievement locked. I have no idea what you're trying to say about the RPG as I've legitimately never before heard that complaint.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

kalstrams posted:

Looks like I'm almost, but not quite, there. I grabbed this build from reddit late into last night when buddy fancied to do some loud stuff, and I currently have M308 with some lovely scope and nozzle that adds 2 damage, I think. I have the Judge for my offhand, but, since I've never bothered to buy any DLCs (as it's like thrice cheaper for my friend to buy them with Russian prices, and stealth missions were only thing I was interested in for the longest of times), I do not have HE shells on it so shields are infuriating. It was extremely easy on Overkill and I felt neigh unkillable and pretty cool, so I guess I'm down to any suggestions on how to build a tanky dude with mid-long range rifle better, since DW is the plan. My friend plays with this, weapons including, and is also wondering if there's something to be poopsockily optimized there.

Your build isn't bad, but there aren't a lot of heists where shaped charges are great to bring on, and it's an expensive point sink. I would not use one as my general-purpose killcops build. If you are only using shotguns as HE-cannon shield-killers and dozer-stunners it is not necessary to put any skillpoints into them. I made some changes while attempting to keep the general idea intact. I dropped C4 but still had to pump a bunch of points into its skills because technician really doesn't have a lot of mid-tier skills worth buying. I moved points from Run & Gun because while moving fast is important, dominating cops is absolutely necessary and unless you could liv without acing Bulletproof the points can't come from anywhere else.

Your friend's build is pretty bad, I regret to say. ICTV provides so much more protection over CTV that the latter is hardly worth using on DW. Does he really run Hitman without using akimbo guns? It's not a great deck to begin with and the only real benefit is being able to use double pistols/SMGs without dumping a bunch of points into Fugitive. You don't need to stack additional damage on the Deagle/Baby Deagle/White Streak, gunslinger ace is a waste on it. Dominator ace does not actually make it any easier to dominate cops, contrary to what the skill description says. Kilmer ace and pistol messiah ace are both extremely luxury buys and not a priority for someone who doesn't even have decent armor. Why would anyone use the short barrel on the R93?

Basically, if anyone is dumping that many points into a single tree they're doing something wrong.

I took the liberty of optimizing that build a bit, and while that might seem like an extreme change, believe me when I say I could do much more.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

YET ANOTHER FAG posted:

A friendly reminder all DMR kits are achievement locked. I have no idea what you're trying to say about the RPG as I've legitimately never before heard that complaint.

RPG clipping/having no effect is only something I see with extreme lag so either their host is far away or they got really lovely internet.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

kalstrams posted:

Yea, I have Muscle on. Will see what I can do about Dominator and DLCs to get some explosive offhand for pesky shields, and maybe look into the other two guns you suggested, as well as mods for accuracy. :tipshat:

As for my friend, as weird as that build is or isn't, the only person last night to come even close to his kill count was some infamy 14 dodge guy with pistols. Again though, maybe it falls apart on DW (we did just some late night OK).

There are a bunch of achievements that are "take no skills whatsoever and the shittiest poo poo guns you can find and blast your way through some heist on overkill" so yeah, you can pretty much take whatever on overkill and succeed. Death Wish is a bit of a different story. That build of your friend's has a lot of redundancies and some pretty much unnecessary skills that could be dropped. For example, you could drop all of those tech skills and just mod your weapons for similar bonuses. Kilmer aced is fun but unnecesary, pistol messiah sounds fun but is completely unnecessary if your team sticks together even a little and so on and so on. It would be wiser to drop the mastermind pistol skills completely, take a loco or judge as your secondary and start climbing that enforcer tree for shotgun skills and ultimately ICTV.

Of course these all will soon be outdated when the skill overhaul hits.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

kalstrams posted:

Generally speaking I bring something to kill shields and then something to kill everything else. Flamethrower, grenade launchers, and sniper rifles work well at the first task while also accomplishing the second task with some caveats. The flamethrower can stunlock bulldozers and cloakers, but has a dismal ammo pickup rate, and doesn't do much to actually damage either of those two specials. Grenade launchers can stun bulldozers but do approximately jack and poo poo to stop a cloaker about to kick you in the face (unless he's taken a few shots from a buddy). Sniper rifles are effective against just about everything but the low fire rate might lead to you getting swarmed by cops.

For melee, I would recommend either the kunai, buzzer, or electrified brass knuckles for their special properties, namely stunning cops through vomit or electricity. The kunai deals good damage, the tasers do not, but they can stop cloakers mid charge. The katana has the best DPS if all you care about is taking down cops quickly with your melee, and I find couples well with the flamethrower (set a guy on fire with a short burst, and smack him with the sword to finish him off).

The ex-president perk deck functions pretty well as a poor-man's grinder if you don't have the Sokol DLC.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 5, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

kalstrams posted:

He's using a Deagle, which is the pistol version of the m308 that everyone is rooting for, has invested heavily in the pistol skills in Mastermind, and has a sniper rifle in his primary for edge case situations. That is generally why he is doing well. His build has a lot of extra 'stuff' that would be better placed elsewhere, but the game is not terribly difficult so a lot of stuff works well. I see no reason for him to change anything, but I will explain what's going on there in others' heads regardless.

I generally refer to a build like his as an 'anchor' or 'pubstar' build, depending on how sunny or shady my mood is at the time. He has the shout, is fast enough to get to allies that have gone down, and is able to pull himself back up if he goes down (and therefore shout everyone else up). This is well and good. The basic counter argument is that he has effectively made bad situations more likely by not putting points into basics that either allow him to do his thing better or assist allies in better ways. The biggest thing that jumps out here is aced gunslinger. 15 damage is terribly redundant on a Deagle, and he could use those 8 points to instead buy both Thick Skin Ace for a great lightweight ballistic vest and stun resist ace, so he is not made into a joke by flashbangs.

Pistol Messiah ace is also a little weird to have. 3 free get up from downs sounds very nice, and it is, but the reality is that if you are spending those 8 points on things that let you control the map to begin with, you wouldn't need more than the one you get from basic. He should get Die Hard Ace at least for 15% faster armor regeneration. With base armor regen rate that comes out to almost half a second savings. Spend the other 4 points on Leadership Ace and he goes a long way toward solving one of his pistol's primary problems while also providing a valuable bonus to the team. Now that that skill is fixed, anyway.

Also, his use of the Hitman deck makes no sense at all - what precisely is he gaining from it? If he is not using Akimbos, which he is apparently not, the only bonus he gets from that deck is faster armor regeneration. Armorer deck does it better and will share some of the bonus with allies. Grinder is best by a mile for his build though, since he will regenerate health like a monster. If he does not have the Sokol DLC that enables that, the Muscle deck is fine too. Anything is better than Hitman - if you are not using it to use Akimbos it is easily the worst deck in the game.

There's some other stuff but those are the basics of what goes through my head as a turbonerd with 600 hours on this game. I'm sure he does great anyway, the game is not difficult and it shouldn't be, it is a rowdy fun game. If he doesn't want to change a thing, he shouldn't. It clearly works for him so whatever. It can be better, though.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

kalstrams posted:

Here are some things to build upon for you and your friend. Start with this and then flavour as you see fit with your personal gunplay style:

You want a tanky, kill crazy dude, and you have no dlc. Dealing with shields would be a plus (for deathwish). I give you the TechForcer:
http://pd2skills.com/#/v3/mda:eqrokLHIEFDa:tSpMJEfGbcDa:ghEgCda:fEDa:ibcdea:pM8h0::w34-28-32-30-34-33:s32-18-32-13-43-5-41-38:a7

Since you don't have any dlc's, taking care of shields is going to be a bit of a pain - use the sniper rifle for killing shields and other hard targets, and use the Loco for up close cop killing (espcially once the Overkill skill gets rockin' and rollin'). If you don't really care about shields (as your friend will be on shield killing duty due to the DLC he owns), then you can use the m308 along with loco.

Your friend's build (as previously stated by others) a bit weird. If he wants to make a mastermind that is survivable (or at least that's what I'm gleaning from his choice in pistol messiah), then try this (the classic MasterForcer):
http://pd2skills.com/#/v3/mSnLhjEFGcDa:eqrOkHIjEFgDa:tbda:ghiEgCda:fEDa:ibcdea:pm8H0::w38-21-23-22:s32-21-37-14-43-5-41-38:a7

Alternatively, if he wants to zip around the map like a crack addict with a pistol (and surprisingly still have similar survivability thanks to grinder), he can try this:
http://pd2skills.com/#/v3/mSnoHiJEFGbcDa:eIFDa:tda:ghECda:frKMJEGCda:ibcdea:pm0h0N8::w84-1:s98-18-17-3-15-13-14:a1

Anyway, continue to have fun, and don't stress about DW too much.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

He sends you many thanks! We're going over this in Skype at the moment (I'm translating since he doesn't speak English), and he has a question about the improvement you suggest - you mention, that he could use 8 4 points freed up in Gunslinger Ace to get Thick Skin Ace, which he already has taken. With Grinder deck equipped an other your suggestions implemented, what would be good options for remaining 8 4 points (updated build)?

Edit: Missed Stun Resistance Ace at first.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 5, 2016

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

kalstrams posted:

He sends you many thanks! We're going over this in Skype at the moment (I'm translating since he doesn't speak English), and he has a question about the improvement you suggest - you mention, that he could use 8 points freed up in Gunslinger Ace to get Thick Skin Ace, which he already has taken. With Grinder deck equipped an other your suggestions implemented, what would be good options for remaining 8 points (updated build)?

Aced stun resistance & basic cleaner come to mind.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

YET ANOTHER FAG posted:

Aced stun resistance & basic cleaner come to mind.
Just noticed the Stun Resistance Ace I missed reading the post, but cleaner? The body bag perk?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Cleaner basic gives you 5% bonus damage to all special units.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

kalstrams posted:

He sends you many thanks! We're going over this in Skype at the moment (I'm translating since he doesn't speak English), and he has a question about the improvement you suggest - you mention, that he could use 8 4 points freed up in Gunslinger Ace to get Thick Skin Ace, which he already has taken. With Grinder deck equipped an other your suggestions implemented, what would be good options for remaining 8 4 points (updated build)?

Stun resistance, for sure. Still not a fan of how many points he's dumping in mastermind. Dominator ace is a bad buy, as is Combat Medic and Kilmer ace is a lot of points for reloading and running and an accuracy bonus that you'll never notice. Cut some fat there and you can get cleaner basic, cat burglar basic, and some other one-point wonders

Fall damage is a real concern on low-armor builds. If you run down a staircase too fast you'll end up taking fall damage.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

UnknownMercenary posted:

Cleaner basic gives you 5% bonus damage to all special units.

Counterpoint: Cleaner Basic is really overrated. That 5% is almost never enough to nudge over a breakpoint.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dr Cheeto posted:

Your build isn't bad, but there aren't a lot of heists where shaped charges are great to bring on, and it's an expensive point sink. I would not use one as my general-purpose killcops build. If you are only using shotguns as HE-cannon shield-killers and dozer-stunners it is not necessary to put any skillpoints into them. I made some changes while attempting to keep the general idea intact. I dropped C4 but still had to pump a bunch of points into its skills because technician really doesn't have a lot of mid-tier skills worth buying. I moved points from Run & Gun because while moving fast is important, dominating cops is absolutely necessary and unless you could liv without acing Bulletproof the points can't come from anywhere else.
Thanks for the build, I'll see how it fares tonight. My idea for shotgun is just a shield-killer secondary to pull out once in a while indeed. Missing some points in Fugitive for now, but should be alright to figure out if I want to get a DLC or two for some guns/perks here, or if I want to make something else.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 5, 2016

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Tempest_56 posted:

Counterpoint: Cleaner Basic is really overrated. That 5% is almost never enough to nudge over a breakpoint.

Countercounterpoint: your weapons should be doing enough damage where this isn't an issue. Perhaps aced duck & cover for extra dodge but having spotted specials taking 20% more damage (spotter & cleaner basic) is a pretty good thing.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'll be honest, I take cleaner basic because the long guide breakpoint tables assume you have it and there's no easy way to disentangle the numbers when it comes to bulldozers due to how it interacts with visor HP.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It was a question of what to do with a handful of remaining points. However small the bonus is, cleaner basic is helping you for 1 point. Other 1 point wonders include SMG specialist basic and cat burglar basic, which have already been mentioned.

If you wanted to do some sharpshooting/sniping I would also take tough guy basic, but that's entirely dependent on how much you notice the screen flinch when being hit.

These are all things you can give up if you have something more important to spend them on.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

kalstrams posted:

I find Run and Gun aced to be very disorienting and to gently caress up my aim, but if he has no issue with it more power to him.
I see he has Combined Tactical Vest equipped. That will prevent Grinder from doing anything (need to be in a suit or Lightweight Ballistic Vest) and Thick Skin will also give no benefit (only the first few armors benefit from it). Instead, he should ace Duck and Cover and wear suit or the lightest vest. And always be either sprinting or ducking.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Dr Cheeto posted:

The DMR'd AMR-16 is quite good but the ammo pickup difference is actually significant over the course of a heist. It's a good alternative but let's not pretend there isn't a trade-off.
To add to this, the DMR AMR-16 has a pickup rate of 72 (as in, is equivalent to a gun with a base of 72 rounds total), while the M308's pickup rate is, naturally, 70, as that is it's base ammo. However, the M308's ammo pickup is affected by Walk-in Closet and Fully Loaded Ace, while the DMR AMR-16 is not. In practice this leads to the following amount of ammo picked up (rounded):
DMR AMR-16: 2 to 3
M308 with Walk-in Closet: 3 to 4
M308 with Fully Loaded Ace: 4 to 5

So by default (let's face it, you'll very rarely not have Walk-in Closet) your pickup range is +1, which doesn't sound like much on paper, but on a weapon that has a 10 round magazine and 70 total ammo capacity? It's going to add up faster than you think.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
:psyduck:

I just took a look at the achievement list to work out what I want to unlock and now it's "none of them gently caress this poo poo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

kalstrams posted:

I would drop Equilibrium to Basic, as the faster rate of fire is entirely unnoticeable with all but one pistol. Combat Medic Ace is debatable, there's enough regen going around these days that the extra 30% doesn't matter too much and on Deathwish can be either a liability or meaningless. I'd drop it to Basic or possibly even cut it entirely.

I always found Rifleman unnecessary, even when I was using sniper rifles as my primary weapons I could quick-scope enemies no problem without it. Sharpshooter Ace is entirely worthless on a bolt-action sniper since your delay between shots is so long, Sharpshooter Basic might be worth keeping since it should affect your pistols.

Definitely would recommend Cat Burglar Basic for a Grinder build. If you cut enough from the aforementioned skills, you could free up enough points for Swan Song Ace which is perfect for Inspire builds to save near-wipes, although a sniper loadout doesn't synergize too well with the infinite ammo because of the slow rate of fire.

UnknownMercenary posted:

It was a question of what to do with a handful of remaining points. However small the bonus is, cleaner basic is helping you for 1 point. Other 1 point wonders include SMG specialist basic and cat burglar basic, which have already been mentioned.

If you wanted to do some sharpshooting/sniping I would also take tough guy basic, but that's entirely dependent on how much you notice the screen flinch when being hit.

These are all things you can give up if you have something more important to spend them on.

SMG Specialist seems wasteful after all that investment into pistols. I'd probably go Martial Arts or Pumping Iron instead, doesn't come up often but helpful when it does. Or start dipping into drill skills.

He already has Thick Skin which does the same thing, and I'm not sure if Tough Guy will multiply the bonus from Thick Skin. I know your base steadiness is from your choice of armor which is minimal on a suit/LBV build, so there might be minimal gains here.