Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ostentatious posted:

bioshock 2: misunderstood game that's better than infinite or just straight up bad game?

both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ostentatious posted:

bioshock 2: misunderstood game that's better than infinite or just straight up bad game?

Bioshock 2 is the best Bioshock game. Its gameplay is the most focused and best refined, taking advantage of the wide assortment of abilities you can use. The hacking system is vastly improved, more streamlined and you can use it without pausing the action, which itself is much better with waves of enemies attacking from multiple directions. The Little Sister system is much better as well, with the ADAM collection areas being custom-built for fending off ambushes. You often have environmental objects like turrets or water pools to set traps in, and you can prepare well in advance to make the ensuing conflict better.

Melee feels more satisfying, the levels are more self-contained and loop nicely in and around themselves, making exploration fun, and the only real weakness is that the plot is a bit less novel or interesting, but the ending is WAY better, particularly that they do away with a final boss to instead make a dramatic climax that actually uses the moral choice system in the game to have a satisfying conclusion, either for good or evil. The ending is an actual CG movie instead of a lovely slideshow.

It's better than either Bioshock 1 or Infinite.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
2 is the definition of love it or hate it, because I hated it. I do still need to play Minerva's Den though, I have to, Gone Home is one of my favorite games.

I still love 1 despite its flaws and I never played Infinite because its poo poo.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

But come on, the beginning of Infinite when you ascend and walk through the candle water area up to your eventual entry is just loving amazing.

The guitar scene too. That poo poo never gets old.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

sure, some people say slavery is bad, but then some people say slavery is good. perhaps the truth is in the middle???

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Blind Rasputin posted:

But come on, the beginning of Infinite when you ascend and walk through the candle water area up to your eventual entry is just loving amazing.

The guitar scene too. That poo poo never gets old.

I liked the beginning of Infinite back when it was the beginning of Bioshock 1.

The guitar scene was nice. It's a pretty game. Elizabeth's personality is nonsensical but it's pretty.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i played 1. it was alright.

i borrowed my roommates copy of 2 and i tried playing it but it didn't really grab me so i stopped playing.

never played infinite

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

This.
2 is the best bioshock game. None are good games though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The ending to Mass Effect 3 is some Evangelion poo poo.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

it's true, because evangelion was also blatantly unfinished

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I played 1, enjoyed it a lot even though the combat was janky, tried 2 and couldn't get into it, played 3 and overall enjoyed it even though the narrative became schizo in the last act and the Vox Populi were handled very poorly.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Josh Lyman posted:

You might have something their since Shepard also jerked it all over a sleeping Tali.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
How many more years have to pass before the Fallout/Bioshock/Mass Effect haters finally get tired of posting the exact same thing every time the offending game is mentioned.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Heat death of the universe

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

it's true, because evangelion was also blatantly unfinished

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

bloodychill posted:

Heat death of the universe

You laugh.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Enter the Gungeon looks like a mashup of bullet hell, Binding of Isaac, and Nuclear Throne, so extremely my jam. Downloading now...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So apparently an expansion to Baldur's Gate... 1 came out. And it has :siren:womz and a trans person in it:siren: so big ol' dummies who haven't played it are bombarding metacritic and such sites with negative reviews because the dreaded cultural marxists have gotten to Baldur's gate and ruined it.

Incidentally, on Steam it has a pretty good critical score, because you need to actually play the game to vote on it there.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

So apparently an expansion to Baldur's Gate... 1 came out. And it has :siren:womz and a trans person in it:siren: so big ol' dummies who haven't played it are bombarding metacritic and such sites with negative reviews because the dreaded cultural marxists have gotten to Baldur's gate and ruined it.

Incidentally, on Steam it has a pretty good critical score, because you need to actually play the game to vote on it there.

Isn't Baldur's Gate like...really old? How is there a new expac?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I have no idea how this poo poo works.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Postal 2, Age of Empires 2, and Age of Mythology all got expansions in the last few years, why not Baldur's Gate?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The people who made the Enhanced Edition created their own expansion that links 1 & 2. They just released it yesterday on Steam. Apparently the writing isn't as good as what was in the original games, though that's not a huge surprise.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'd buy a PS4 up-port of BioShock Infinite

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

How many more years have to pass before the Fallout/Bioshock/Mass Effect haters finally get tired of posting the exact same thing every time the offending game is mentioned.

Games with huge glaring flaws have their flaws discussed when the game is discussed. News at 11.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Quantum break costs $70 bucks to play?!?!?! and you have to use windows 10?

Nasgate posted:

Games with huge glaring flaws have their flaws discussed when the game is discussed. News at 11.

Lol nasgate you are like the champion of the whiteknights for fallout 4.

Irony

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The way game news outlets reacted to everyone hating mass effect 3 was the weirdest poo poo I've ever seen. It was like those dumb articles people have been writing about how people are wrong to dislike the Star Wars prequels, but even snarkier. YOU ARE STUPID TO THINK THIS IS BAD.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Some games I love to bits and am convinced they were made specifically for me. That somehow the developers got inside my head and thought "Hey, VideoGames will love this! Let's make it that way!".

What I am saying is, Mass Effect 3 is my favourite and I really, really dislike Mass Effect 2. I know it's seen as a very strange opinion, but I played ME3 with all DLC many years after release and had the absolute most fun tying up my save game from ME1.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I concur, I played ME2 and ME3 on the PS3 and even though the DLC cost more than ME3, they are very fun games.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The ending for me3 is a lot better than it used to be

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

VideoGames posted:

Some games I love to bits and am convinced they were made specifically for me. That somehow the developers got inside my head and thought "Hey, VideoGames will love this! Let's make it that way!".

I feel this way about Remember Me, a game I cannot recommend but nonetheless thoroughly enjoyed and will probably replay.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

The way game news outlets reacted to everyone hating mass effect 3 was the weirdest poo poo I've ever seen. It was like those dumb articles people have been writing about how people are wrong to dislike the Star Wars prequels, but even snarkier. YOU ARE STUPID TO THINK THIS IS BAD.

I don't remember too many of the specifics, but some fans really did go loving crazy over it, like, some guy wanted to sue BioWare over it. Personally I got bored before reaching the end, so maybe that's why I was and am a little bemused by people demanding a new ending to their silly space fantasy game. But this has been discussed to death already

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

I feel this way about Remember Me, a game I cannot recommend but nonetheless thoroughly enjoyed and will probably replay.
I love Remember Me, flaws and all.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Is the Mass Effect series still the face of good writing in western video games?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Level Slide posted:

Is the Mass Effect series still the face of good writing in western video games?
Lol, no. Especially when there's been games such as Witcher 3, Undertale, and LISA since.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Level Slide posted:

No, that's Undertale.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The DLC for the Witcher 3 is insane, one quest has as much or more talking as the new fallout 4 Automation dlc.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

I actually remember some news outlets joined in. There were a few articles written by actual developers that boiled down to "the game is great but the ending is phoned in so hard it's easy to see why people are pissed about it. I'm pissed about it."

Accordion Man posted:

Lol, no. Especially when there's been games such as Witcher 3, Undertale, and LISA since.

Eh, I'd still say ME2 was among the greats in terms of western writing for characters. Like a lot of RPG's western and eastern, the character writing is often stellar while the story is usually just decent at best.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My favorite thing in Mass Effect 3 is how they revealed the mysterious face of the masked character and they just used a stock photo with bad effects on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Level Slide posted:

Even around the same time we had New Vegas. So no. Especially not now with all the story games and as mentioned Witcher 3.

• Locked thread