Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Katanas and Trenchcoats is kickstarting a remastered/extended version.

Claimer: I'm one of the listed writers, and I'd like the kickstarter to fund so that I get paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Lars Blitzer posted:

Well, Kult has finished its KickStarter with kr2,746,655 ($337,972.88 US) pledged. Despite the lukewarm interview linked earlier I'm actually kinda looking forward to it releasing. As a concept I find the cosmology of Kult fascinating, but the rules weren't all that great. Here's hoping the new edition is written well.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1037361623/kult-divinity-lost-horror-roleplaying-game-rpg/description

And what do you know? WTF, D&D!? reviewed Kult some time ago too. http://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/kult-skeleton-horror/1/

I'm a huge fan of bleak occult horror as a genre, so I jumped in on this one. I trust that the fluff will be good, and if the AW-hack they've worked out is bad, I'll just run the setting in another system. I'm definitely planning on using it more as an occult noir setting, rather than an awaken your inner God and punch out the servants of Satan one though.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DigitalRaven posted:

Claimer: I'm one of the listed writers, and I'd like the kickstarter to fund so that I get paid.

With a name like that was severely disappointed it's not about Internet neckbeards.

That said, I'm pretty sure I played this setting repeatedly 15+ years thanks to the guy that always wanted to use the WoD Highlander rules in our Werewolf games.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 1, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That said, I'm pretty sure I played this setting repeatedly 15+ years thanks to the guy that always wanted to use the WoD Highlander rules in our Werewolf games.

That's explicitly the idea.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

DigitalRaven posted:

"This product was launched on April 1st, 2016."

Hmm, intriguing.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

$160 to $320 to rent a private room for four hours? Noooooo thanks.

edit; before someone says anything, this may in fact be an entirely reasonable price for renting private space out for functions, but I can't see dropping that sort of money all in order to go out somewhere and spend an evening playing RPGs. More than that sort of money since I've never once had an RPG evening that wrapped up cleanly in four hours.

The only way I could see 'rent a gaming room' places getting traction is if they get Surface-esque touchscreen tables. The sort of thing that's completely out of the economic question for most individuals but would be super great for a GM to be able to use where you can just load a premade map onto the table, reveal it room by room, be able to move virtual minis around on it, etc.

Alternately, having a few hundred bucks worth of 3D dungeon tiles and prepainted minis in each gaming room could be a draw, though you need to be concerned about theft at that point.

But offering a "premium" gaming room that's just a table and chairs? Not gonna work out in the long run.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Valatar posted:

The only way I could see 'rent a gaming room' places getting traction is if they get Surface-esque touchscreen tables. The sort of thing that's completely out of the economic question for most individuals but would be super great for a GM to be able to use where you can just load a premade map onto the table, reveal it room by room, be able to move virtual minis around on it, etc.

Alternately, having a few hundred bucks worth of 3D dungeon tiles and prepainted minis in each gaming room could be a draw, though you need to be concerned about theft at that point.

But offering a "premium" gaming room that's just a table and chairs? Not gonna work out in the long run.

The bad thing about that is probably that people would trash them. The double as a karaoke room thing is a great idea though.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Well, I remember wayyy back where some friends and I got an unofficial agreement to let a local diner let us have the guest room from about 10pm to 5am or so, and we would sit around and play Legend of the Five Rings all night and order food and drinks, or back when I used to run Vampire at the second floor of a local coffee shop. It's not inconceivable but it's probably a model that works better for the boardgame cafes and bars that have been going around. Space alone isn't saleable unless it has some premium value to it.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
There's one gaming tavern in town not far from me, and another planning to open up. Neither rents (or plans to rent) their tables specifically, but alcohol sales probably makes up for a lot of that. Of course, getting even a beer/wine license in Texas is an enormous hassle apparently, enough that my favorite karaoke places are BYOB and just make their money on the room rentals. :shrug:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Covok posted:

"This product was launched on April 1st, 2016."

Hmm, intriguing.

Yes? It's a date, same as any other, and real stuff does happen on it.

The previous version also launched on April 1 and was cast as a possible April fools, even though is a real game with supplements, and all proceeds went to charity (link also explains the date of release further). This new one's an anniversary release.

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 2, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Wait, people do karaoke in private rooms? Isn't point to get loaded and laugh/be laughed at by strangers?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
There's karaoke like karaoke in a bar with a stage and strangers, and there's karaoke where you and some friends (maybe 5-10 max) sit in a room and pick songs and pass a mic around. It's like playing a videogame (rockband, YDKJ) in someone's living room instead of really going out.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So either DTRPG is having issues, or the bonanza of 7th Sea 1e books (which backers got in the wee hours this morning) has brought the server to its knees.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

So either DTRPG is having issues, or the bonanza of 7th Sea 1e books (which backers got in the wee hours this morning) has brought the server to its knees.

Oh, hey! I better help out.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

dwarf74 posted:

7th Sea is grinding the DTRPG servers to a halt and I find that tremendously amusing for some reason.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

DigitalRaven posted:

Yes? It's a date, same as any other, and real stuff does happen on it.

The previous version also launched on April 1 and was cast as a possible April fools, even though is a real game with supplements, and all proceeds went to charity (link also explains the date of release further). This new one's an anniversary release.

Fair enough. It's just that it is also the holiday of trickery and foolishness in the United States so, when a joke game wants to do a kickstarter, doing it on April 1st leads to suspicion.

I'm glad it hit its goal and wish you all the best.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

rantmo posted:

7th Sea is grinding the DTRPG servers to a halt and I find that tremendously amusing for some reason.

I bashed my head against it for a couple of hours last night, but now I have all the 7th Sea books. Hooray!!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, I got nearly everything but it still doesn't want to download Mightier than the Sword.

The moral of the story is that watermarks are bad.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Trenchcoats & Katanas just released their "social stretch goals", and they're pretty amazing:

quote:

• Pictures of yourselves dress up as K&T characters—whatever that means to you—earns points. More so if the backgrounds are awesome, like you're a character in history or guarding some grand monument. Could be photos, could be illustrations.
  • Videos of in-character soliloquies. Music and sound effects are optional, but encouraged.
  • Fanfic about your character. (Jeremy Kostiew did this enough in Year One to where I asked him he should write actual K&T stuff for me.)
  • Ballads of the Darkest Cosmos
  • Other creative stuff I haven't thought of, and you'll likely surprise me with.
  • Each $1000 of funding (including the first $10,000) earns points. I don't want to shut out people who are happy to talk about the game to others, but don't want to.

The first ten things to unlock, in no special order:
  • Other Darkest locations on Earth beyond Darkest Vancouver
  • Extraterrestrial locations and characters, for those of you that like to play games off-world.
  • Deeper detail on the cosmology and metaphysics, for those of you that want to make chronicles about cosmic events
  • Detailed magic rules for sorcerers, technomages, and other mojo-slingers
  • Sigils for the ruling immortal Houses
  • The Buffet—host of optional rules, including a random table to decide which optional rules to use in a given session (to simulate the Darkest Cosmos going through a great flux)
  • Designer's notes, for those of you that like peeking under the hood and getting explanations of design decisions
  • In-character book of immortal lore
  • Drama-focused advancement rules
  • A weird-rear end Fate variant by Leonard Balsera and myself

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I got my fulfillment of the iOS implementation of the Core Worlds card game yesterday. It was a year late, and sent out after public release instead of two weeks prior as the campaign promised, but whatever. I could care less about short-term exclusivity as long as I get what I pledged for.

What I DO care about is the fact that the app is only compatible with iPad Air, Mini, and Pro, and not the older standard iPad I have; which I've never seen from a tabletop game adaptation, and was at no point communicated to backers before hand. And I'm not planning on buying another iOS product again.

Bright side is that I'm only out 5 bucks.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

oriongates posted:

God I loved the Lost Room and I'm so pissed there isn't more of it. But yeah, it's the perfect Unknown Armies show.

It really, really is.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Liquid Communism posted:

It really, really is.

That + The Booth At the End are perfect UA inspiration for me.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Currently watching the french version of the Returned which also has a decent UA vibe...it starts off as weird dead people coming back but then you get to the weird stuff like the girl who has sex in order to get psychic visions and the kid who gets people to kill themselves with their own guilt (or something...its a weird show) and the cults that have been hiding in this tiny french town (which has CCTV cameras literally everywhere except in the tunnel where like 10 women have been murdered and their livers chewed out).

Now I'm half-way through season 2 and I'm really hoping it doesn't leave me hanging.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, I got nearly everything but it still doesn't want to download Mightier than the Sword.

The moral of the story is that watermarks are bad.

The Pathfinder bundle fiasco confirms this.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

oriongates posted:

Currently watching the french version of the Returned which also has a decent UA vibe...it starts off as weird dead people coming back but then you get to the weird stuff like the girl who has sex in order to get psychic visions and the kid who gets people to kill themselves with their own guilt (or something...its a weird show) and the cults that have been hiding in this tiny french town (which has CCTV cameras literally everywhere except in the tunnel where like 10 women have been murdered and their livers chewed out).

Now I'm half-way through season 2 and I'm really hoping it doesn't leave me hanging.

Oh yeah, good catch. I'd also recommend The Fades, a British TV show about a small town where the barrier between life and death has started to fray. Ties in very well with how demons work in UA!

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

oriongates posted:

It leaves you hanging. They just pile on more weirdness and then it ends

A shame as series one is fantastic

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Mojo Jojo posted:

It leaves you hanging. They just pile on more weirdness and then it ends

A shame as series one is fantastic

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

drat. I was worried about that. There was just too much going on for it to be resolved in the time it has left. Ah well, disappointing but I don't regret the experience at least.

Seems to be a common problem with weird/surrealist supernatural shows. Twin Peaks is another obvious example of that. Lost Room had much the same problem as well, although it at least largely resolved the main character's "find my kid" plotline.

One a comedic note the show League of Gentlemen has some surprisingly inspirational material for weird horror, mixed in with the goofier stuff.

oriongates fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 3, 2016

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Tau Ceti looks fun as a sort of everybody flying their own Enterprise around and loving poo poo up type thing that is sort of a light 4x but the mechanics seem a bit of a grab bag
Has anybody played it? They have a print and play available for download but that seems like a lot of effort.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The BALLS! kickstarter revealed they're making some one-eyed variants. If they make em a bit more 'serious' and gnarly they may be ideal for a unit of Cacodemons :)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Fantasy Friends is out, and one thing is righter with the world.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I don't know what that is, and the internet is not helping.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

DalaranJ posted:

I don't know what that is, and the internet is not helping.

D&D monster alternate rules for Golden Sky Stories.

And I'm absolutely sure you found something interesting when you typed 'fantasy friends' into Google. Whether it was relevant or not is another question.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Echophonic posted:

And I'm absolutely sure you found something interesting when you typed 'fantasy friends' into Google. Whether it was relevant or not is another question.

The top hit on my search engine was a poorly designed fantasy football league website.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I just squeed aloud at the cover of Fantasy Friends. For some reason, I just wasn't expecting it to be charming and old-school.

I am totally statting up a gelatinous cube who wears a dollop of whipped cream as a pompadour when I get home.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Was Mononoke Koyake ever released?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Outside of the Oni preview, no.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Is this publicly available? I love me some Golden Skies.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Not yet, but presumably soon.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

So how 'bout that Pirate World? The creator has logged into Kickstarter on the past few days but no update since September, backer comments are going ignored, and the website linked for the creator is now 404. It's only $15 but still, at this point I'd be happy for the goon to reach out to me or anyone on this forum to help, because Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lars Blitzer posted:

Well, Kult has finished its KickStarter with kr2,746,655 ($337,972.88 US) pledged. Despite the lukewarm interview linked earlier I'm actually kinda looking forward to it releasing. As a concept I find the cosmology of Kult fascinating, but the rules weren't all that great. Here's hoping the new edition is written well.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1037361623/kult-divinity-lost-horror-roleplaying-game-rpg/description

And what do you know? WTF, D&D!? reviewed Kult some time ago too. http://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/kult-skeleton-horror/1/
I really want to like Kult, but I wonder if I'm just nostalgic for it because I heard about it back in the day when AOL was the new hotness and we found out about new RPGs from ad-copy and fanpages. And there's a dark side to that, too--my first exposure to Kult was from fanpages full of homebrew scenarios that were edgy for its own sake.

From PurpleXVI's review of the game in F&F, it seems like there's not a lot of there there, so to speak. A universe full of scary edgy stuff, but nothing for the PCs to latch onto.

• Locked thread