Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I feel like the only vet that likes/gets along with their much younger classmates.

I think it's because engineer culture is also built on the glorification of shared suffering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Jarmak posted:

I feel like the only vet that likes/gets along with their much younger classmates.

I think it's because engineer culture is also built on the glorification of shared suffering.

I get along with a number of my classmates including one that's 10 years younger than me. I don't spend much time with most of them, though, because I don't drink anymore.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

I get along with a number of my classmates including one that's 10 years younger than me. I don't spend much time with most of them, though, because I don't drink anymore.

It's tough to not drink in college and remain social. I lapsed two weeks ago and passed out at a party. Woke up to some gross girl trying to fit my unimpressive, flaccid member inside of her. gently caress college parties and gently caress drinking.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Pesticide20 posted:

I started my first day of classes today. I went to college and dropped out before enlisting, so I'm incredibly nervous about repeating past mistakes, so today has been an odd mix of emotions for me. On the other hand, I just saw my first confirmed veteran. Dude wearing IR flag hat; 5.11 jacket, complete with IR flag and blood type; USMC lanyards; and a glorious vet beard. I'm waiting for him to bring up his service

He'll probably flunk out pretty quick, blame PTSD and or liberals.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I got along fine with most of my classmates when I was, on average, 8 years older than they were. But most people I meet are almost always shocked to learn I'm a veteran because I rarely bring it up

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
if you drop out that means less yoga pants

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

elite_garbage_man posted:

if you drop out that means less yoga pants

Zagat, Lord of Boobs. No soul vessel could contain his great assets.

I think better av text would have been "Come play Dark Souls m'lord"

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Zagat, Lord of Boobs. No soul vessel could contain his great assets.

I think better av text would have been "Come play Dark Souls m'lord"

Man, where were you last week. That's way fuckin better

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Lab 8: Metal Cations

Using NH3, HNO3, NaOH, NaCl, and Na2SO4, I have to devise a scheme to separate out Al3+, Fe3+, Ni2+, and Ag+ from a randomly assigned test solution. Maybe all of them, maybe only one are in the test solution. For several reactions, I have to determine through the K values whether the ions are forming complexes or doing nothing at all.

gently caress. This. Lab.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Booblord Zagats posted:

Man, where were you last week. That's way fuckin better

Five dollars man use your uncle sam funbux

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

DownByTheWooter posted:

Using NH3, HNO3, NaOH, NaCl, and Na2SO4, I have to devise a scheme to separate out Al3+, Fe3+, Ni2+, and Ag+ from a randomly assigned test solution. Maybe all of them, maybe only one are in the test solution. For several reactions, I have to determine through the K values whether the ions are forming complexes or doing nothing at all.

Holy poo poo am I happy I've already done chemistry, because while I recognize all of those words, I don't remember poo poo about any of that

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

App13 posted:

It's tough to not drink in college and remain social. I lapsed two weeks ago and passed out at a party. Woke up to some gross girl trying to fit my unimpressive, flaccid member inside of her. gently caress college parties and gently caress drinking.

Well, I mean I can drink. I'm not an alcoholic and only stopped drinking because my already lovely feeling guts feel even worse for a day or two after drinking. I'd rather not deal with that than drink 95% of the time, but if I'm hanging out and there's beer pong I can jump in for a round without too ill of an effect.

Every law function is all about just getting as drunk as possible as fast as possible. That's not really something I can do because I'm absolutely miserable for 2-3 days after with or without a hangover. Plus they're all mostly rich fucks and I'm loving trailer trash from bum gently caress nowhere. What do I have to talk about with some guy that's talking about his dad closing on their third vacation home (this one in the bahamas)?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Ckwiesr posted:

This. I have a hard time believing how retarded some of these people are. And as for stressing, I hear ya. When I first started back up I took an online class about Latin American culture, and we have to do a weekly essay 2-3 pages as well as reply to a discussion post every week. I stressed hard about that first essay and put a ton of effort into it, getting an A in the end. I slowly over the course of the class put less and less effort in seeing what the teachers threshold was for dipping below an A- and I still haven't found it yet.

Pretty much this. I'm taking two classes now and will be taking 2 more after these are done. They actually overlap for about a week so it's gonna suck but that degree is gonna taste good.

I've done almost no actual studying or trying hard in almost any of my college work. The exceptions being Astronomy, Math, and Sociology. Astronomy was a tricky bitch. It started off all nice and slow like "these planets in our solar system have varieties of components yada yada yada" to "based on the temperature and size of stars we can accurately describe which category our sun falls in and now tell me some other stars. Extra credit if you can find one that is in a jovian binary with the other. Double extra credit if you can explain the differences between the two and what the difference would be if it was one star." It got hard quick, and I studied for hours and barely passed with a C.

I also have only had one dick head instructor who didn't take points off for late assignments but straight up marked it zero. It was a throw away class so I'm not too worried about it, and one that the college only offers it's students that are trying to get college credit based off of real world experiences. That and the Astronomy came out as Cs. Math I got an A but I worked my rear end off.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Fat dude with scraggly white trash neckbeard, patch hat, lovely 5.11 geardo backpack with subdued confederate flag prominently displayed alongside subdued US flag and name/rank/unit/whatever the gently caress else patches he could fit on that retarded thing... Check.
Yoga butts (whenever it randomly decides to be warm out before cratering to mid-low 30s)... Most definitely check.

I've only been called out twice that I can think of. One's a Guard MP that sat next to me in class and clocked my Quality Blind Made™ pen almost instantly, the other was someone from another class that saw me doing the barely-contained-rage forced march slash power walk across campus after I had to have a nice chat with my advisor.

DownByTheWooter posted:

.... poo poo.

Upside is I could pass my Stats class while consistently blackout drunk and the pre-health major intro Bio course is pretty much a refresher.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

Fat dude with scraggly white trash neckbeard, patch hat, lovely 5.11 geardo backpack with subdued confederate flag prominently displayed alongside subdued US flag and name/rank/unit/whatever the gently caress else patches he could fit on that retarded thing... Check.
Yoga butts (whenever it randomly decides to be warm out before cratering to mid-low 30s)... Most definitely check.

I've only been called out twice that I can think of. One's a Guard MP that sat next to me in class and clocked my Quality Blind Made™ pen almost instantly, the other was someone from another class that saw me doing the barely-contained-rage forced march slash power walk across campus after I had to have a nice chat with my advisor.

.... poo poo.

Upside is I could pass my Stats class while consistently blackout drunk and the pre-health major intro Bio course is pretty much a refresher.

It will take me forever to stop putting my hands on my belt instead of in my pockets where they belong.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
took me a good hard 45 minutes of thinking, but this seems ok

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

You got good handwriting

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Soulex posted:

You got good handwriting

tyvm I try very hard

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Why do you have a skilcraft pen

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

holocaust bloopers posted:

They were free

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I have a skillcraft pen I put in my acus to hand out to buddies that don't have one. I always tell them that it's a skilcraft pen, made by the blind.

(I took the pen part out and screwed it back together)

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

holocaust bloopers posted:

On a whim I swiped the last box out of the office (apparently also last box in the company) the day before my final out.

Soulex posted:

They were free

Pretty much this, it's a combo of free and also being really strangely used to them after writing ten million SOAP notes and sick call slips.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I only use the Magnus cause I like how thick it writes. That and my hand writing looks like hieroglyphics or some poo poo.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
How the gently caress do you have skilcraft pens that actually WORK?

Those fuckers never worked right out of the box most of the time and you're using them post military.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

not caring here posted:

Those fuckers never worked right out of the box most of the time and you're using them post military.

That's what I'm saying. Those loving pens never wrote properly. If I needed office supplies, I'd steal them from an officer's desk. Like I'm going to trudge across the hangar and up a flight of stairs only for RA to hand me a box of lovely pens.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

:shrug: I've been using the same one for like three months straight, hasn't thrown a shitfit once.

Some motherfucker walked off with the one (of three) Rite In The Rain pens I had that still had ink in it, I've been meaning to get a pack of refills off of Prime but keep forgetting.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

not caring here posted:

Skillcraft makes different pens. The small black ones with the adidas lines in the middle suck. The black and bronze ones that write thick are super good.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

DownByTheWooter posted:

Man I'm so happy my chemistry requirement didn't include a lab, for some reason this has led me to decide to take a chem-heavy elective over the coming summer.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Killed it again today during the competition for this design project. I'm now 2 for 2 on first places in team projects. :slick: There's another dude who has also been on both those teams, but we all know who's responsible for back-to-back victories.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Jarmak posted:

Man I'm so happy my chemistry requirement didn't include a lab, for some reason this has led me to decide to take a chem-heavy elective over the coming summer.

The 1 credit lab often requires me to put in 3-4 hours a week on homework. I'm looking forward to it being over, but here it was a mandatory co-req for both Gen Chem 1 and 2.

This lab is in 3 parts, so it's meant to be like a capstone or practical exam. Last week, we got assigned our ions and did some tests to make observations about what will form precipitates and what will dissolve them, basic/acidic solution etc. Tomorrow, I have to run my scheme to see if it works. Some students got assigned Copper 2+ and Aluminum 3+ together (you got assigned 3-4 at random), which basically behave identically for most of the tests, resulting in a full page of ridiculous solubility equilibria equation jiujitsu and pH management to make their scheme work.

What I'm trying to say here is to study History

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
gently caress I hate having to retake classes because the 4 year decided the jc version wasn't worthy. This is my second class I've had to do this for, and I've taken high level classes that list this particular one as a prereq, and yet I still murdered them. What the gently caress, dude?

So I'll be taking calc 2...again. The good news is that I'll be able to take advantage of voc rehab and it should be paying out starting this summer session.

ps congrats to all you fellow vets in your recent scholarly accomplishments. Also, high fives for fighting the good fight by not wearing a day pack to class.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
But be sure to wear your reflective belts during hours of darkness.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
it looks good with a huge fuckin chip on your shoulder too

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

DownByTheWooter posted:

The 1 credit lab often requires me to put in 3-4 hours a week on homework. I'm looking forward to it being over, but here it was a mandatory co-req for both Gen Chem 1 and 2.

This lab is in 3 parts, so it's meant to be like a capstone or practical exam. Last week, we got assigned our ions and did some tests to make observations about what will form precipitates and what will dissolve them, basic/acidic solution etc. Tomorrow, I have to run my scheme to see if it works. Some students got assigned Copper 2+ and Aluminum 3+ together (you got assigned 3-4 at random), which basically behave identically for most of the tests, resulting in a full page of ridiculous solubility equilibria equation jiujitsu and pH management to make their scheme work.

What I'm trying to say here is to study History

Only had to do gen chem 1, though I've decided to subject myself to "advanced electronic materials" which sounds like it's going to be "the chemistry of all that poo poo you use in your EE classes".

I hate chem but I find it really interesting... it's like an abusive relationship

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
The pictures on my Biology for Non-Majors triggered my phobia of patterns or something. Luckily it was an online class and 100% of the questions on the tests were copy and pasted from a note cards website.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Lol I hope you guys aren't planning on taking Orgo or Biochem because it gets so much very worse than that

EDIT: Copper and Aluminum can be separated by differential reaction to Carbonate BTW. Your extraction protocol looks good up to the last step but I can't remember if it's all correct (I don't think we even did nickel, so I don't remember if step 2 works). I think hydroxide will precipitate with both iron and aluminum. The chart on Wikipedia says sulfate has differential solubility so you'd have to use K? It's been like a year and some change now

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 6, 2016

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Changed over to studying CAD/CAM and CNC machining type poo poo. Algebra and Trig 1 and 2 only for math so I'm happy.

The Cisco stuff was just not my cup of tea. At least not right now.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

TheQuietWilds posted:

Lol I hope you guys aren't planning on taking Orgo or Biochem because it gets so much very worse than that

EDIT: Copper and Aluminum can be separated by differential reaction to Carbonate BTW. Your extraction protocol looks good up to the last step but I can't remember if it's all correct. I think hydroxide will precipitate with both iron and aluminum. The chart on Wikipedia says sulfate has differential solubility so you'd have to use K? It's been like a year and some change now.

UW MEDEX BCHS PA Program Prereqs: 2 Human A&P, 1 general Bio, 1 Microbio, 1 Chem, 1 Stats, and 2 English courses with Biochem/Genetics/Social Sciences listed as "recommended".

If I don't make the 1 Jan 2020 cutoff for the last undergrad-level PA cohorts, I'll probably end up doing some flavor of Kinesiology before hitting up Masters programs.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

UW MEDEX BCHS PA Program Prereqs: 2 Human A&P, 1 general Bio, 1 Microbio, 1 Chem, 1 Stats, and 2 English courses with Biochem/Genetics/Social Sciences listed as "recommended".

If I don't make the 1 Jan 2020 cutoff for the last undergrad-level PA cohorts, I'll probably end up doing some flavor of Kinesiology before hitting up Masters programs.

That's not the worst, you can def make it by 2020. You lucked out not having to take organic chemistry or organic lab. My school makes you take labs for Micro as well, which sucks. Take Micro and Genetics at the same time for the overlap in material.

Sem 1: Bio/Chem/English/Stats
Sem 2: Micro/Genetics/English/Psych
Sem 3: Biochem/A&P1/Sociology
Sem 4: A&P2/Whatever

Unless you can do a summer A&P I/II session then kill that poo poo all at once. Honestly I'm not sure how you can do Biochem without Orgo but your course might be a lot different than mine.

I did:

Summer 1: Chem I/II+Labs
Fall/Spring 1: Bio/Orgo/Physics I/II+Labs
Fall 2: Biochemistry, Immunobiology, Vertebrate Phys, Stats
Spring 2 (currently): Microbiology, Evolutionary Biology, Molecular Genetics, Healthcare Ethics

Last year was the worst year of my life, including my first year in the military. On the other hand in two years I went from understanding literally nothing about science to the crazy rear end poo poo I'm doing now.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I use my pt belt when I run at night/early morning but intended use is a different universe than 'broad daylight'

• Locked thread