Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
F1 is always better than indycar, nascar and WEC. They don't have the drama and soap opera of F1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

George Zimmer posted:

F1 has been, dare I say it, better than IndyCar so far.

How bad are the areo kits loving up the racing this year?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

How bad are the areo kits loving up the racing this year?

the aero kits aren't really a problem other than that they cost money and change nothing. st. pete was an OK race, just nothing spectacular. the package at phoenix had too much downforce and it made it hard to pass, though i thought it was super fun to watch. NASCAR has been crushing both F1 and indycar in terms of entertainment value this year.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Fine fine. I'll watch some nascar again. This poo poo better be good.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

be nice wicka posted:

the aero kits aren't really a problem other than that they cost money and change nothing. st. pete was an OK race, just nothing spectacular. the package at phoenix had too much downforce and it made it hard to pass, though i thought it was super fun to watch. NASCAR has been crushing both F1 and indycar in terms of entertainment value this year.

St. Pete is also a mediocre track.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

St. Pete is also a mediocre track.

it's like indycar's monaco, kind of. good looking track that always draws a good crowd despite being super tight and boring.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

learnincurve posted:

The problem is that they do currently have two dictators, Bernie and Todt, and they are both batshit insane, power hungry, out of touch with what the fans want, don't care what the drivers want, don't care what the teams want and seem to be living in the 1980s. Right now no one can vote on anything that those two don't propose. This is why they keep giving teams a choice, vote for something really out there or vote for the thing they want to get though. If they wanted to they could say things like "vote for a reverse grid or vote for a knock out qualifying" or " vote to keep knock out qualifying as it is or vote for a modified version" and then when teams refuse to do so they can act all innocent and go "it was the team's choice! We were willing to work with them but this inability to make decisions is why we need more power!"

our only hope of getting rid of this pair of old wankers is either that Bernie finally dies a natural death and Todt ends up as a suspicions lump under the Parabolica, or there are people who want their jobs waiting for the right moment to stab them in the back.

It's the way it's always been, Bernie wants X, proposes Stupid Y, X seems more reasonable compared to Y wash, rinse, repeat

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

djssniper posted:

It's the way it's always been, Bernie wants X, proposes Stupid Y, X seems more reasonable compared to Y wash, rinse, repeat

Except they called him on his bluff and now we're stuck with this stupid qualifying system.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm not sure people realise how hosed up this all is now.

In the recent past it's been a number of people including FIA approved groups bringing proposals to the table and then if the FIA approves of what they are saying or thinks its worth putting to the general council (or whatever convoluted system they were using that year) a vote happened. None of those groups, including all the cost cutting and freaking safety working groups, can bring anything forward to be voted on. Only Bernie and Todt can do this. No matter where you stand on the issue, the teams have not yet been allowed to talk about ot vote on anything to do with halos or windscreens, because Bernie and Todt are ignoring it and not putting it on agendas.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
gently caress Yes

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
lol at Ferrari having 3 teams now and they still can't beat Mercedes

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

May...

also what El Hefe said lol

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm not getting my hopes up just yet it's just repeating that rumour in the Brazilian press without adding anything new or any supporting evidence.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

andyf posted:

In other news, Are Max (v1.0) took his ladyfriend out for a nice jaunt up the Goodwood hill in that NASCAR thingymajobby. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhf1pGAkZX4

Oh hey and a bit about the Lotus 88 twin-chassis car https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMtkRcqvGaU
I still don't trust a death eater.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

learnincurve posted:

I'm not getting my hopes up just yet it's just repeating that rumour in the Brazilian press without adding anything new or any supporting evidence.

Spin up the hype machine and set it to "Maximum"

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

td4guy posted:

Bernie's at it again, haha!

I watched the hell out of Eff Wun from like 2004-2009, then pretty much quit paying attention. Now I'm kind of coming back to it and I see this hideous arrogant (and probably now senile) little troll is still around. He must have more money than many of the nations on earth by now, why won't he shut up and retire?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

MrMojok posted:

I watched the hell out of Eff Wun from like 2004-2009, then pretty much quit paying attention. Now I'm kind of coming back to it and I see this hideous arrogant (and probably now senile) little troll is still around. He must have more money than many of the nations on earth by now, why won't he shut up and retire?

He wants his daughters to be filthy rich when he expires.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

MustardFacial posted:

Spin up the hype machine and set it to "Maximum"

Calling it now: Schumi recovers and wins last WDC with alfa

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The left side of Bernie's face has drooped and it's getting worse, it won't be long, before he goes off and retires with his model Brazilian wife or this sport kills him, one of the two.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

If they do this they should rebadge the engines in the Haas cars as Chryslers

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Kilonum posted:

If they do this they should rebadge the engines in the Haas cars as Chryslers

Haas: Powered by Dodge. *hellcat jumps across the screen*

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Haven't Haas pulled a bit of a Super Aguri, the near-customer car thing, I mean? They've got a managerial genius in the form of Steiner (only decent one Jaguar ever had), I'm really curious what they can do the next couple of years.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Sulman posted:

Haven't Haas pulled a bit of a Super Aguri, the near-customer car thing, I mean? They've got a managerial genius in the form of Steiner (only decent one Jaguar ever had), I'm really curious what they can do the next couple of years.

From what i understand they have effectively moved many of their own nascar and ex-marussia/lotus people into a department of dallara to manufacture all the important carbon fiber bits and has ferrari running gear, but they are constructors, they do design and assemble the vehicle.

Nobody complained when force india used mclaren bits, or williams using mercedes bits. Its raycisim against americans.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Haas constructors title by 2019

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

By 2019, Ferrari will be buying parts from Haas.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If we see something like Haas-Ford as the WCC my dick will be hard for a solid month.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

gret posted:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

gret posted:

Haas' CNC Empire has come true

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

gret posted:

It's possible, virtually every team bought parts from Minardi at one stage.

Ok, it was a wheel washer but that's not the point.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
am I the only one who thinks this endless debate about Haas is a bit silly when half the grid bought entire teams from other people?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

El Hefe posted:

lol at Ferrari having 3 teams now and they still can't beat Mercedes

The FIA should ban all non Ferrari teams from F1

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Ban all the teams and Grand Prix's should become Bernie and the rest of the CVC old men's brigade running round the track on Sundays making "BRRRRMMMMM" noises.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
still not loud enough

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Dubs posted:

still not loud enough

They run carrying around speakers playing MP3 recordings of SCREAMING VEE TENS.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Or they could borrow the Formula E-J

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

learnincurve posted:

am I the only one who thinks this endless debate about Haas is a bit silly when half the grid bought entire teams from other people?

It is a little, but there is the question of what is a constructor, and exactly how much of the car do they have to make. I think the last time something really similar to Haas happened was Toro Rosso 2007-8 when they ran RBR's chassis with Ferrari engine and drivetrain. This being closed up in the rules nearly resulted in STR being sold in 2009, but there was no buyer.

In Haas' case they're just being sensible, and let's face it, better they're on the grid than not.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

if haas were only fighting with manor no one would be complaining about the way their team is set up

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If Haas found a sensible way to get into F1 that's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Sulman posted:

It is a little, but there is the question of what is a constructor, and exactly how much of the car do they have to make.

What about Brawn? Took someone else's fully built car and shoved someone else's engine in it and won a WDC, no one complained,or whined and said the constructors championship was any less valid that year. I can't help but feel that it's people of my dad's generation who sit there muttering "uppity drat yanks buying their way into a sport who do they think they are" to themselves while complaining about Haas not being a real team in newspaper comments sections.

• Locked thread