Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I am also slowly making my way through FF1, but having to play on an emulator makes it quite a bit simpler, quicksaves and all. The fact that it still manages to freak me out constantly is impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

+1 the FF1 mansion. I don't think any other location in the series really compares, but to be fair I barely remember the Manor of Sleep

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

voltcatfish posted:

+1 the FF1 mansion. I don't think any other location in the series really compares, but to be fair I barely remember the Manor of Sleep

Manor of Sleep in FF3 had bits and pieces of the mansions from 1 and 2 mixed in (due to it being a dream manor with bits of other people's dreams mixed in).

I definitely remember the boss ghost in FF3, though, as well as some of the other specters.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Was Fatal Frame 3 the one where you hear rain pattering against glass until you realise it's not raining and when you look up at the skylight you see there's loving ghosts peering down at you drumming on the glass?

Because no way am I creative enough to have made that up on my own but I can never remember what it's from.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
fatal frame 3 is definitely the spookiest game

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I still think the first game is the spookiest. I did nearly have a heart attack during one section in 3 where you play as Miku and have to crawl under the floorboards though.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

ChogsEnhour posted:

Was Fatal Frame 3 the one where you hear rain pattering against glass until you realise it's not raining and when you look up at the skylight you see there's loving ghosts peering down at you drumming on the glass?

Because no way am I creative enough to have made that up on my own but I can never remember what it's from.

Does the mc have a painful tattoo grow on her back?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ChogsEnhour posted:

Yeah, also the one with the tattoo. That's 3.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I still think the first game is the spookiest. I did nearly have a heart attack during one section in 3 where you play as Miku and have to crawl under the floorboards though.

For me the spookiest ghosts were the floating head because it just stares at you as it closes in and the one called (I think) Broken Back which makes its entrance by falling out of the air with a sickening thud then chases you down with the same dead eyed stare except upside down :stare:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I get that the original version of it was only Early Access, but Layers of Fear wiping out your first save with 2/3rds of the game done and making you redo it is moronic.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I get that the original version of it was only Early Access, but Layers of Fear wiping out your first save with 2/3rds of the game done and making you redo it is moronic.

I imagine they did that because they retooled a lot of the order things went in, at least that's what I heard

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

I imagine they did that because they retooled a lot of the order things went in, at least that's what I heard

I suppose, but I would have liked to be given some sort of option unless it drastically changed the story. I only played through the early access portion a few weeks before release, I didnt expect that they would just wipe it off and make you start over

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent
Did I just suck or does Fatal Frame 1's combat get brutally hard? I beat 2 no problem back on the original Xbox and then moved on to the original and just remember getting stomped by this one ghost in a garden somewhere in the middle of the game over and over. I picked up the first three in the sale and am starting with 1 again since I never did beat it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Great Metal Jesus posted:

Did I just suck or does Fatal Frame 1's combat get brutally hard? I beat 2 no problem back on the original Xbox and then moved on to the original and just remember getting stomped by this one ghost in a garden somewhere in the middle of the game over and over. I picked up the first three in the sale and am starting with 1 again since I never did beat it.
Yeah, some of the fights in Fatal Frame 1 are surprisingly hard. The broken neck lady can be a tough road block since she requires hitting in a specific time frame or suffer getting hit for a 1/4 of your health, then the Takamine boss fight could be a nightmare early on....or the damned monks.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
There was one fight where the enemy would teleport around. And your turn speed was such that it was hard to turn and attack unless you knew where the attack was coming from. Or am I remembering a different game?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, no, that was it. The loving monks....

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Fatal Frame 1's combat is pretty clunky too. If I remember right, you can't do combo shots like you can in 2 onwards so every encounter with a hostile ghost can potentially take a while. That couple with some infuriating enemy ghost types probably makes it the hardest game in the series.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Anyone here played the Lucius games? I grabbed the second one on sale recently, since it's supposed to be less linear and more polished than the original. Lots of jank, but has some pretty fun things. Not sure if it classifies as horror really, since it's you that inflicts horror and suffering on npcs mostly. It's kind of a Hitman-lite, where you basically play as the kid from Omen, setting deadly traps for people or just straight up mindcontrolling them to walk into elevator shafts. Most of the challenge comes from fighting with the controls and poor optimization, but thinking up elaborate ways to decapitate people can be fun for a while. For 4$ I'd recommend it.

Hadooooken
Sep 6, 2004

I had no idea they even made a sequel. Is it as limited as the first? The concept is interesting and I'm a big fan of The Omen™

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Hadooooken posted:

I had no idea they even made a sequel. Is it as limited as the first? The concept is interesting and I'm a big fan of The Omen™

I haven't played Lucius II but I will say this: grate deceiver's post is the first time I've seen someone say something good about that game. It was pretty poorly received to my memory.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I've seen streams, and it's a hilarious physics mess, not unlike Goat Simulator.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Hadooooken posted:

Well as I said, it's worth about 4 earth dollers. Don't even think of buying it for the full 20$, that's ridiculous. I've completed the game in 8 hours and will definitely play newgame+ to gently caress around with all powers unlocked. I know nothing about the first one, I just heard from someone that 2 is better so I went with that. In terms of level 'openness' and methods of approach, I'd say it's about on par with Hitman 2 (much smaller scope though)? Most levels take place on a single floor of a building or thereabouts, and there are nine of those. Each has a special kill or two set up, but you're free to try your own things as well.

Just keep in mind it's very janky and poorly coded. Expect important items to clip through the floor, items combining in stupid ways, poor performance. Fire effects must be coded extremely poorly, because even a small fire or explosion causes severe choppiness on my GTX 760. This makes one level which takes place in a burning building not very fun.

Goat simulator is also an apt comparison, except the glitches in this one are not intentional. You might die frequently for stupid reasons, or restart, because you wasted a useful item, but it's ok, since there's little challenge to it and restarting even a whole level is not a big deal.

If you want to give it a try, it's currently discounted here for 15 more hours: https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/lucius-ii
If you really really want, the first one is also available there for I think 2$

The devs seems to be aware how not worth the full price it is, as it frequently goes on sale. I cannot stress enough how not worth the full price it is. For the price of a burger however, I'd say the novelty factor is worth it, if you're into the general idea of it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lucius is a bad game saved by the lack of any real challenge. It puts a focus on setting up these Goldberg death machines. It's a very interesting game to say the least and yes, totally worth a cup of coffee.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

It looks like 'Back in 1995' finally got a steam page and will be out in like two weeks: http://store.steampowered.com/app/433380/. A bit worried that there won't be some way to turn off the faux CRT distortion filter considering that most of the screenshots have that on it and it looks like hot poo poo.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Speedball posted:

Yeah, exactly. Make it a mystery game where who is a Thing is random (kind of like how it was variable who was or wasn't a replicant in the Blade Runner adventure game).

Late answer, but Ripper on PC was like that. The identity of the culprit would be more or less (it tried to avoid repeats) randomly chosen from 4 suspects. It was a good idea in theory but in practice that meant to limit the work involved there's only a few things that changed depending on the killer's identity and everything else was kept generic.

Chev fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 19, 2016

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
white day remake has been greenlit. i wonder if it will be censored (if there's anything to censor, always been meaning to play it)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=665183393

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
how come only shovelware has antimated box art?

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
Anybody picked up March of the Living yet? I'm just tickled by FTL style games (yes, even Convoy) and I had some spare cash laying around after bills.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Relin posted:

white day remake has been greenlit. i wonder if it will be censored (if there's anything to censor, always been meaning to play it)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=665183393
Well if anyone was wanting to play the original, it's here for free and it's supposed to be translated and patched to run on modern systems: http://www.moddb.com/games/white-day

I remember trying to play it before but lost interest when the puzzles got to be pixel hunting and the first enemy was a possessed janitor.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The original has a couple of neat scares I hope end up in the remake including a ghost that follows you making chalkboard scratching noises and it's invisible except in the periphery of your view. Trying to focus on it causes it to disappear.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Normal Adult Human posted:

how come only shovelware has antimated box art?

Because selling a bad horror game on Steam is 10% game and 90% packaging

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Outlast 2 gameplay. IGN also has a brief article about the PAX East demo. Be warned that the page for the article is garbage.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 24, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tyrone Biggums posted:

Anybody picked up March of the Living yet? I'm just tickled by FTL style games (yes, even Convoy) and I had some spare cash laying around after bills.

Rocked it for a couple of hours yesterday. Gameplay wise it feels a lot like what FTL should have been in that it is randomized and stuff, but each individual game feels very beatable. I had to restart a few times but it was always because I was not grasping what the game wanted me to realize. Contrast to FTL, where even the most fanatical devotees of the game have a what, like 60% win rate?

The first scenario is pretty simple, just understand that combat should be micromanaged to hell and you should always always always go for the instant kills that are available. Shotguns are kind of bad as a weapon class for that reason - aside from double barrel shotguns having enough raw damage to outright kill the weakest enemy type, they really do not have a reliable instant kill available. The second scenario forces you to realize shotguns do have a niche, it's just not as good as the ones offered by rifles and pistols.

Considering doing a video of the game sometime.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Niggurath posted:

It looks like 'Back in 1995' finally got a steam page and will be out in like two weeks: http://store.steampowered.com/app/433380/. A bit worried that there won't be some way to turn off the faux CRT distortion filter considering that most of the screenshots have that on it and it looks like hot poo poo.

lol it has tank controls.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
This review from this thread is what initially got me interested in Uncanny Valley, and it's on sale on Steam right now for a buck. Haven't played it myself yet but I just figured I'd let the thread know

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol it has tank controls.
I'm more concerned by the fact that it doesn't seem they were considering filter settings:

I understand wanting to get a classic, nostalgic feel to your game but why include the idea of a 'crappy tv' filter setting?

anime tupac posted:

This review from this thread is what initially got me interested in Uncanny Valley, and it's on sale on Steam right now for a buck. Haven't played it myself yet but I just figured I'd let the thread know
I'd say that Uncanny Valley is well worth a play through though it definitely has some game play issues that will never get ironed out (such as on screen text not really fully being on screen depending on where you trigger it and super obtuse puzzles) but even more than that it has some story telling issues. It pretty clearly lays out it's cards early on and that does ruin some tension, though it does manage to pick up some of that tension near the end. Also I'd say the time limit is a bit too strict and doesn't allow much in the way of getting all the backstory bits or exploration.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
So Back In 1995 might be the worst horror game I've ever played? I beat it in 70 minutes without ever getting hit once because the enemies are incapable of hitting you. I had to intentionally stand in their way for anything to be a threat. It was probably the most boring videogame I've played this year. There's just nothing there except for some mild nostalgia for the ps1 even though this game looks way worse than even Clock Tower did on the ps1. Thank god for refunds.

Mr. Sunabouzu fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 28, 2016

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

So Back In 1995 might be the worst horror game I've ever played?
Oh nooooo, that makes me sad :( I was mildly interested in this one and hoping it wasn't riding 100% on nostalgia but WELP. Looking forward to other peoples' reports on it, though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

That's unfortunate because I want there to be a resurgence of 90s 3D aesthetic in the same way Shovel Knight is a throwback to 8-bit platformers but even the trailers soured me on that game. You're completely right, the game looked worse than even Net Yaroze titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

So Back In 1995 might be the worst horror game I've ever played? I beat it in 70 minutes without ever getting hit once because the enemies are incapable of hitting you. I had to intentionally stand in their way for anything to be a threat. It was probably the most boring videogame I've played this year. There's just nothing there except for some mild nostalgia for the ps1 even though this game looks way worse than even Clock Tower did on the ps1. Thank god for refunds.
Man, that is a massive bummer to hear. At least Nightcry was goofy, janky mess that lasted but it's sad that this seems to be unable to even do that. I like the fact though that someone brought up that maybe the game was taking less inspiration from Silent Hill or Resident Evil, and more from Alone in the Dark or the Japanese 3DO title, Doctor Hauzer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iFSOJapi3Q.

In more positive news, it looks like Oxenfree is getting some more free content on PC for the PS4 release: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-27-oxenfree-dated-for-ps4-with-new-endings-new-game-plus-mode