Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cardboard Box A posted:

Virtue Signalling

It boils down to, they basically believe everyone in the world is as insincere and heartless as they are.

https://twitter.com/Quinnae_Moon/status/717139839846653952

quote:

The term has some connection to chan culture which believes deeply in the idea that only unfettered ugliness and avarice is sincerely human.

That's an incredibly good and accurate description of channers and I am going to steal that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

wise man good thing bad thing same you know the routine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJdWPSwSOLw

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

That's an incredibly good and accurate description of channers and I am going to steal that.

I'd argue that but to be honest i haven't actually posted on 4chan itself in 3 years

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I'd argue that but to be honest i haven't actually posted on 4chan itself in 3 years

I mean even back when I was on it (god was it seriously almost a decade ago jesus) that describes it pretty well, at least that's the impression I always got. 4chan was the secret cool kids club where there were no rules - everyone said the most disgusting and terrible things they could because they could. Most people didn't even necessarily believe or (explicitly) endorse anything they were saying but this was a place that existed so that people could say literally whatever they want and face zero consequences by design and therefore you should say extreme things. It definitely makes sense to me that, from that vantage point, everything else seems artificially tame - people only aren't acting like that all the time because if society's rules, and being offended or taking things seriously is only for people who don't ~get~ that the internet is just for lulz.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I mean even back when I was on it (god was it seriously almost a decade ago jesus) that describes it pretty well, at least that's the impression I always got. 4chan was the secret cool kids club where there were no rules - everyone said the most disgusting and terrible things they could because they could. Most people didn't even necessarily believe or (explicitly) endorse anything they were saying but this was a place that existed so that people could say literally whatever they want and face zero consequences by design and therefore you should say extreme things. It definitely makes sense to me that, from that vantage point, everything else seems artificially tame - people only aren't acting like that all the time because if society's rules, and being offended or taking things seriously is only for people who don't ~get~ that the internet is just for lulz.

Yeah, me and most of the channers I'm still friends with ended up emigrating to offshoot chanboards with heavier moderation or tumblr (or SA, obviously) due to eventually getting tired of it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Likewise. I shitposted on 4chan and said gross and horrible things even though I didn't necessarily believe them, but then I grew up and moved on with my life.

To shitpost on SA.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
tbf SA is kind of the sweet spot, discourse-wise. I like Disqus as well, but after that there's just the reverse threaded nightmare that is Tumblr.

*edit* VVVV It is a crime against the very concept of communicating information visually.

Peztopiary has a new favorite as of 12:58 on Apr 6, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I genuinely think Tumblr's comment threading method is much more offensive than anything anyone's posted on the site.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Status451 tells the news media it's totally not a neoreactionary blog, it just runs articles promoting neoreaction. "No, we are not racists, and we are not neoreactionaries. We just think this stupid no-platform strongarming activism is toxic and bullshit. That is all. No further comment." I'm sure they'll delight in getting noticed. "ClarkHat responded to a request for confirmation they had written the Status:451 post and a question about their real name with a series of tweets insulting the reporter."

divabot has a new favorite as of 16:26 on Apr 6, 2016

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
Ironically, "virtue signaling" taken seriously in fact requires the existence of virtue.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Tesseraction posted:

I genuinely think Tumblr's comment threading method is much more offensive than anything anyone's posted on the site.

THIS.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

"Virtue signalling" :suicide101:

I keep trying to follow this thread, but all that happens is my eyes go crossed.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Tumblr changed their comment threading several months ago. Now it's all equally spaced and it's way easier to read.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yes, this is exactly what happened. The conference sponsors left of their own accord because "activists"

https://twitter.com/eron_gj/status/717115284151250945

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Fututor Magnus posted:

Yes, this is exactly what happened. The conference sponsors left of their own accord because "activists"

https://twitter.com/eron_gj/status/717115284151250945

You know, even if I had a really lovely toxic relationship and hated my ex-girlfriend's guts to the point where I recruited internet trolls to harass her forever because I think that's the logical next step, I feel like I'd EVENTUALLY get tired of the company of neo-nazis.

But that's just me.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/g0m/status/643550782252576768

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

You know, even if I had a really lovely toxic relationship and hated my ex-girlfriend's guts to the point where I recruited internet trolls to harass her forever because I think that's the logical next step, I feel like I'd EVENTUALLY get tired of the company of neo-nazis.

Literally nobody else will talk to him any more. Well, them and LW diaspora rationalists of course. Because of course.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
The best theory you'll read today on Eliezer Yudkowsky, HPMOR, Scott Alexander and Scott's novel in progress Unsong.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

But that's just me.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/g0m/status/643550782252576768

See, this is why there needs to be some clarification

The 37 year old in this scenario is the millennial

Whoever the first person is who said 10 is almost certainly a Reboot Generationer or whatever they're going to end up being called

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Delicious. They're going to be called the Delicious Generation, and it's all sneer culture's fault. FOOM

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Tumblr changed their comment threading several months ago. Now it's all equally spaced and it's way easier to read.

Only if you're a tumblr user reading on your dash. The horrible pyramids still exist on every user tumblog I've seen. It's kind of the worst advertisement.

(Then again, given how poo poo tumblr is for conversation, I guess they don't care about advertising their text functions.)

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
Yudkowsky has caught wind of Phil Sandifer's book about the rationalist and neoreactionary movements and tries to pre-emptively dismiss Sandifer as a liar.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I was genuinely surprised to see there's no userscript to unshittify Tumblr conversations. I guess I should just do it myself but I feel that making one would make me more likely to read the stupid poo poo these idiots come out with. Consider it protective sloth.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Haha what a whiny little baby Yudkowsky is. You'd think he'd at least wait for the book to come out and then show it's bollocks. Oh except he can't because it isn't.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Tesseraction posted:

Haha what a whiny little baby Yudkowsky is. You'd think he'd at least wait for the book to come out and then show it's bollocks. Oh except he can't because it isn't.

To be fair now, Yudkowsky has previously explicitly repudiated neoreaction and doesn’t want anything to do with it in any way. He only put up with them on lesswrong in the first place in a spirit of geek social fallacy. It's fair enough he doesn't want soft fascism hanging like a radioactive anvil over his work too.

The problem is that while neoreaction is of no interest to Yudkowsky, Yudkowsky is of tremendous interest to, and influence upon, neoreaction. Remember that Dark Enlightenment M:TG card of Yudkowsky (picture in the first post on this thread), before WOTC sent a takedown? Even Yudkowsky would find it hard to deny that he has been a heavy influence upon neoreaction, even as he wants nothing to do with them. (what am I saying, he'd deny that too.)

And of course, that they’re heavily overlapping social groups with ideas flowing between them is a huge amount of the problem with the rationalist subculture.

The current draft of Neoreaction a Basilisk does make this reasonably clear IMO, though perhaps it could do with being emphasised. I also added this new repudiation to the RationalWiki article.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yud posted:

I think that if you do argue with neoreactionaries instead of just blocking them, then you’ve been suckered into Somebody Is Wrong On The Internet syndrome and trollfeeding.
I for one am now eagerly awaiting Scott rebutting Yud on this, considering precisely not doing this is Scott's main point and the very thing his blog and platform and style and person and literally everything about him is explicitly built on.

divabot posted:

+1

Cingulate, the above is an explanation of why your posting is mostly just annoying and why people keep getting pissed off at you. I urge you to read and reread until you understand, take it on board and do that a lot less.
I am baffled by the psychology behind concerned people trying to nicely explain to me why they don't like me. (I'm not gonna go into why I believe this is simply not true - this is not why people are in fact pissed off - because nobody wants to read that.)

I suggest that if you consider me talking about e.g. the psychological take on signalling in the context of a question about the psychological take on virtue signalling irrelevant - which I can actually, regardless of this phrasing, unironically understand! - to ignore me, instead of displaying how upset you are, or giving me tips on how to be less upsetting. I like to fight, but fighting about me is boring.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Cingulate posted:

I for one am now eagerly awaiting Scott rebutting Yud on this, considering precisely not doing this is Scott's main point and the very thing his blog and platform and style and person and literally everything about him is explicitly built on.

I am baffled by the psychology behind concerned people trying to nicely explain to me why they don't like me. (I'm not gonna go into why I believe this is simply not true - this is not why people are in fact pissed off - because nobody wants to read that.)

I suggest that if you consider me talking about e.g. the psychological take on signalling in the context of a question about the psychological take on virtue signalling irrelevant - which I can actually, regardless of this phrasing, unironically understand! - to ignore me, instead of displaying how upset you are, or giving me tips on how to be less upsetting. I like to fight, but fighting about me is boring.

:wrongful::wrongful::wrongful::wrongful::wrongful::wrongful::wrongful::wrongful::wrongful::wrongful::wrongful::wrongful::wrongful::wrongful::wrongful::wrongful::wrongful::wrongful::wrongful::wrongful::wrongful::wrongful::wrongful:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

To be fair now, Yudkowsky has previously explicitly repudiated neoreaction and doesn’t want anything to do with it in any way. He only put up with them on lesswrong in the first place in a spirit of geek social fallacy. It's fair enough he doesn't want soft fascism hanging like a radioactive anvil over his work too.

The problem is that while neoreaction is of no interest to Yudkowsky, Yudkowsky is of tremendous interest to, and influence upon, neoreaction. Remember that Dark Enlightenment M:TG card of Yudkowsky (picture in the first post on this thread), before WOTC sent a takedown? Even Yudkowsky would find it hard to deny that he has been a heavy influence upon neoreaction, even as he wants nothing to do with them. (what am I saying, he'd deny that too.)

And of course, that they’re heavily overlapping social groups with ideas flowing between them is a huge amount of the problem with the rationalist subculture.

The current draft of Neoreaction a Basilisk does make this reasonably clear IMO, though perhaps it could do with being emphasised. I also added this new repudiation to the RationalWiki article.

I remember Nydwracist was accusing Phil of making Yud out to be a Neoreactionary too, wonder if that accusation reached Yud's ears, or if they just leaped tot he same conclusion independently.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Considering 13 Conventions Have Canceled or Decided Against North Carolina Because of Anti-LGBT Law HB2, will there be a Status 451 rally to bankroll North Carolina in the name of free somethingorother too?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cingulate posted:

I've seen you acknowledge and respond to pointers on being less annoying in the past, I assumed everyone else did and was just trying to keep that going, but okay we can just post :wrongful: instead

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cingulate posted:

Considering 13 Conventions Have Canceled or Decided Against North Carolina Because of Anti-LGBT Law HB2, will there be a Status 451 rally to bankroll North Carolina in the name of free somethingorother too?

I'm kinda irked that a lot of news outlets are just calling it the vague "Anti-LGBT Law," like it's just something about gay marriage or the like. It's more "The gently caress You Transpeople, gently caress You Gays to a Lesser Extent, Also By The Way gently caress You So Much Poors" law.

If I was one to read too much into things I'd almost think that the media is shying away from explicitly addressing its primary targeting of transpeople because transpeople are still pretty far from being socially accepted in the US. Oh wait I totally am one to read too much into things and that's totally what they're doing.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Meanwhile right-wing news outlets like Fox pretty much exclusively call it THE BATHROOM LAW for maximum scary icky transpeople points and talk almost entirely about how it's MEANT TO KEEP RAPISTS OUT OF BATHROOMS or something equally ridiculous.

Not that everyone's doing this, NPR at least treats it as a primarily trans issue (and also mentions the gay and poor aspects) :3:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cingulate posted:

OK, since trying to explain this in sciency terms just makes you act like an even bigger pedant, people are sick of you because you're an rear end in a top hat. Shut the gently caress up. SHUT THE gently caress UP. Every time anyone makes a statement that is not 110% ~logical~ you have to and correct them like a condescending besserwisser or play high-school-debate-class devil's advocate games. gently caress off, you sanctimonious blowhard, until you can learn how to engage with other human beings.

Or is that not enough? Am I going to have to furnish you with 30 pages of philosophical ramblings about what does or does not make you an rear end in a top hat, proofread for logical purity by your most serene highness?

Can someone make a :cingulate: smiley?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

hbombersguy's new video about rationalists freaking out over female ghostbusters is beautiful

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Yudkowsky posted:

Anyone posting a neoreactionary concept on my Facebook wall would be instablocked and the comment deleted. It’d be like their posting creationism on my wall; somebody needs to reeducate them, but it’s not going to be me. I think that if you do argue with neoreactionaries instead of just blocking them, then you’ve been suckered into Somebody Is Wrong On The Internet syndrome and trollfeeding.

His reasons for saying this are wrong, but Big Yud is five billion times more right in this particular sentence than he has ever been in his life.

/can't believe cuckliezer hates free speech hahahahahhahalol

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cingulate posted:

(I'm not gonna go into why I believe this is simply not true - this is not why people are in fact pissed off - because nobody wants to read that.)

You know for someone who claims to never claim certainty you sure don't seem to have any problems proclaiming that you know why people hate you better than they do. It's almost like you're a liar and a hypocrite!

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

His reasons for saying this are wrong, but Big Yud is five billion times more right in this particular sentence than he has ever been in his life.

/can't believe cuckliezer hates free speech hahahahahhahalol

Yeah, this is amazing. I knew a lot of stuff about that guy, and I used to hate him very, very much.
I devoted so many hours to the hatereading of the FOOM debate, to a bunch of the Sequences articles, to his old Path To Singularity writings (until the thread got GBS'd), but despite all that this is a legitimately good thing for him to say and I'm glad he did it.

Rationalists on Tumblr get too much of Scott saying "now now, engage on a level of intellectual honesty with the rampaging mass of anger and rage shouting racial epithets and rape threats at the top of their lungs", and that sort of behavior (the engaging, and the shouting) is getting normalized. Yudkowsky coming out against that unambiguously is excellent, I just wish it has been three to five years ago when he had a much more sizable audience.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SolTerrasa posted:

Yeah, this is amazing. I knew a lot of stuff about that guy, and I used to hate him very, very much.
I devoted so many hours to the hatereading of the FOOM debate, to a bunch of the Sequences articles, to his old Path To Singularity writings (until the thread got GBS'd), but despite all that this is a legitimately good thing for him to say and I'm glad he did it.

Rationalists on Tumblr get too much of Scott saying "now now, engage on a level of intellectual honesty with the rampaging mass of anger and rage shouting racial epithets and rape threats at the top of their lungs", and that sort of behavior (the engaging, and the shouting) is getting normalized. Yudkowsky coming out against that unambiguously is excellent, I just wish it has been three to five years ago when he had a much more sizable audience.

This Yudkowsky post touches on some related issues:

http://lesswrong.com/lw/c1/wellkept_gardens_die_by_pacifism/

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cingulate posted:

We can't effectively ignore you because you are sufficiently skilled at trolling like Droopy Dog that six thousand idiots end up quoting you. This arguably means you have succeeded, if that were your goal.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Silver2195 posted:

I wasn't able to read that because I had to drag myself out of the pool of viscous smug that he exudes in all of the sequences and didn't have time to look at the scenery, so I will take your word for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Ugh, it's so weird to agree with Yudkowsky. Yeah, he comes off as smug and he says that hilariously wrongheaded thing about how "the third sin of rationalists is underconfidence" :rolleyes:, but I can't even get mad about that stuff because fundamentally he's right on his main point.