Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Anjow posted:

What are the names of the sort of adverts/popups that appear within the same webpage, but above the content? A couple of examples are pages that ask you to like them on facebook, or others where, when you move your cursor out of the page area (to the tab bar, for example), it creates an advert over the page content 'before you go...'.

To add to the responses other people have said, the ones that pop up when your cursor leaves the window are called Exit Intent pop-ups or pop-overs. The content overlaying on top of content, dimming it out, is a lightbox, as mentioned. And yeah, the ones that won't show you content until you do some kind of social media follow are Social Lockers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Wired have recently changed so that you can't see content if the adblocker is on, or you can pay them a couple of dollars for no ads. I don't have much issue with whitelisting their site as the ads are normally pretty inobtrusive and generally relevantish (not that I click on them anyway).

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Is there a concise name for working from coffee shops / bars / libraries / public spaces? I'm trying to put together a list of the best places in my town and I can't quite find a way to sum it up. Everything I come up with - 'WiFi working', 'freelance spots' etc. - is pretty rubbish.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Tenterhooks posted:

Is there a concise name for working from coffee shops / bars / libraries / public spaces? I'm trying to put together a list of the best places in my town and I can't quite find a way to sum it up. Everything I come up with - 'WiFi working', 'freelance spots' etc. - is pretty rubbish.

"Pretending to work".

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NonzeroCircle posted:

Wired have recently changed so that you can't see content if the adblocker is on, or you can pay them a couple of dollars for no ads. I don't have much issue with whitelisting their site as the ads are normally pretty inobtrusive and generally relevantish (not that I click on them anyway).

A lot of the time you can just add the content gate to adblock via the element picker.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

photomikey posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with them, but turning off my ad blocker is unbearable, and white listing sites one by one seems torturously slow.

Doesn't just seem tortuously slow, is tortuously slow.

But the sites are full of poo poo about this.

If people really want to deliver ads on their sites (in other words, if they want to make money from the site), then they need to treat ads as part of THEIR content, and subject each individual ad to whatever level of editorial scrutiny they do their content.

If a site cannot be assed to care about what I see as a page viewer when I visit their site, (and that's what they are saying by using an ad server service), then gently caress them. They are expecting to be paid for inconveniencing me, instead of doing some work.

There are real costs to gif ads, flash ads, etc on the end user side.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tenterhooks posted:

Isn't it just teleworking? As in, teleworking hotspots.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Tesseraction posted:

Isn't it just teleworking? As in, teleworking hotspots.

Good shout. That's probably the best term for it, though I guess it more commonly refers to remote employees of a company rather than to freelancers, which is the audience I'm aiming at (I should've specified). Cheers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Was there a specific use case or design decision that reddit was trying to capture when it made its reply structure the way it did? I can understand the whole upvote/downvote thing, but branching off discussions into their own forks and making the thread impossible to keep track of temporally I can't imagine had to have been deliberate.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Ostensibly, Reddit's whole thing is letting ~the community~ decide, and they can't possibly let logic or good web design get in the way of that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Was there a specific use case or design decision that reddit was trying to capture when it made its reply structure the way it did? I can understand the whole upvote/downvote thing, but branching off discussions into their own forks and making the thread impossible to keep track of temporally I can't imagine had to have been deliberate.

It's not too awful when there's only 1-4 replies, but in a case of no-forward-thinking they never thought about when comment replies reach the tens or hundreds.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

NonzeroCircle posted:

Introducing the adblock blocker blocker: http://thenextweb.com/apps/2016/02/11/around-and-around-we-go/#gref

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

That particular style of threading is not unique to reddit at all, it was actually the default on a lot of messageboards in the late 90's and early 00's. I'm guessing reddit just never bothered updating because they obviously don't give a poo poo about design. you can still sometimes find other sites that use it if you look around for arcane nerdy poo poo like messageboards for ham radio enthusiasts or people who build model ships and that kind of thing

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

They saw a bear knock over a garbage can full of soiled diapers and thought "hey, commenting should work the same way!"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

gradenko_2000 posted:

Their commenting system isn't really that different than how Usenet reply trees worked 30 years ago, and many early web forums. They were copying that style, and then added a measure a of re-sorting based on votes.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I may be moving to the SF bay area later this year. I have a 1997 Toyota Corolla, and as I understand it, California has fairly strict emissions / smog testing laws. No local mechanic or chain auto repair place (Midas, Meineke, and individual proprietors) I've asked here in PA has any idea how to do California smog testing / emission testing.

How the gently caress do I know if I'm toting a car across the country to California only to find it's unable to be driven (and given its value to repair cost ratio, unable to be sold for anything other than scrap) when I get there?

Anyone have ideas on how to get CA testing standards done outside of CA?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sundae posted:

I may be moving to the SF bay area later this year. I have a 1997 Toyota Corolla, and as I understand it, California has fairly strict emissions / smog testing laws. No local mechanic or chain auto repair place (Midas, Meineke, and individual proprietors) I've asked here in PA has any idea how to do California smog testing / emission testing.

How the gently caress do I know if I'm toting a car across the country to California only to find it's unable to be driven (and given its value to repair cost ratio, unable to be sold for anything other than scrap) when I get there?

Smog stuff only comes up during registration. When you go to register the car, you may need to smog it. You do a smog check, if it fails then you have x number of days/weeks to get it corrected and you can get extensions and all that stuff. You don't have to have it compliant the day you drive into the state.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
I'm moving to West L.A. and there are some non-big name ISP's to choose from like BrandX, California Internet, Bel-Air Internet, and a few others. I've never used anything but the huge ones and of course it's always been poo poo. Can anyone recommend one of those or one in that area?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sundae posted:

If your car passes emissions in PA it should pass emissions in California - the emissions testing standards are pretty close.

thehandtruck posted:

I'm moving to West L.A. and there are some non-big name ISP's to choose from like BrandX, California Internet, Bel-Air Internet, and a few others. I've never used anything but the huge ones and of course it's always been poo poo. Can anyone recommend one of those or one in that area?

I'm not from the area but:

BrandX is DSL. That's slow as poo poo, don't bother. They would have been a good option 10-15 years ago though.

California Internet is primarily a business provider. They're not really going to provide cheap residential service, but if you want to host real servers at home they could hook you up.

Bel-Air Internet primarily provides internet service direct to condo complexes, apartment buildings and so on. Basically one of those providers you might have if a place offers free internet with rent - you might have trouble getting them at a place that doesn't already use them, as companies like that tend to be picky. They do also provide great service though.

Many other alternate ISPs you'll find will be like one of those three you mentioned - the alternate DSL providers can provide service just about anywhere, but they're slow as hell for modern standards. There's a bunch of business focused ISPs that cost a pretty penny although they do provide excellent reliable service and great tech support. And then there's the companies like Bel-Air that mostly focus on wiring up an entire complex, and can be a hassle to actually get in a single unit.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Earwicker posted:

That particular style of threading is not unique to reddit at all, it was actually the default on a lot of messageboards in the late 90's and early 00's. I'm guessing reddit just never bothered updating because they obviously don't give a poo poo about design.

reddit was founded in 2005, it was an intentional choice.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I'm playing Batman Arkham City. Why is Batman putting up a stink about killing Ra's al-Ghul when I've literally been snapping Riddler mooks' necks all over the place?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

dwarf74 posted:

So I'm playing Batman Arkham City. Why is Batman putting up a stink about killing Ra's al-Ghul when I've literally been snapping Riddler mooks' necks all over the place?

Because Batman will put you in a wheelchair for life but he draws the line at killing an immortal demigod or w/e Ra's is supposed to be in that particular universe.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
iirc digg used threaded comments, and when reddit launched it was basically a digg clone, which is why everyone from there migrated over when digg died.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

fishmech posted:

If your car passes emissions in PA it should pass emissions in California - the emissions testing standards are pretty close.

"Should" isn't really good enough for something that could put someone out a lot of money.

Sundae posted:

This is a question for the actual experts in the AI Stupid Question Thread.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

dwarf74 posted:

Those were non-lethal necksnaps

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Memento posted:

"Should" isn't really good enough for something that could put someone out a lot of money.

And if something breaks on the way to California he could also be screwed. :rolleyes: Might as well not take any car to California!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

dwarf74 posted:

They're just sleeping!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
We should probably all play it safe and just stay in bed forever.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

stubblyhead posted:

We should probably all play it safe and just stay in bed forever.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Phone posting and trying add photos from imgur. Copied pic URL and used timg, img, i. and m. No matter what I try the post preview shows white blocks where the photos should be. Anyone know what the hell I've screwed up?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I went to Urgent Care a few weeks ago for a minor skin irritation I had. The hospital sent me a bill for $20 which I am expected to pay but then I logged into my Health Insurance account and it is telling me I owe $15. Do I pay one or both?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Booger Presley posted:

Phone posting and trying add photos from imgur. Copied pic URL and used timg, img, i. and m. No matter what I try the post preview shows white blocks where the photos should be. Anyone know what the hell I've screwed up?

Did it automatically default to https? Edit in the URL and let us take a look.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

What's the easiest way to turn a youtube video into a decent-quality mp3 of the audio from that video on my computer?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

See this guy gets it.

Booger Presley posted:

iirc the imgur app will give you a url like this: http://imgur.com/4RxsA5t. You need to stick an i on the front, and a .jpg on the end (the specific extension I don't think actually matters), so in this case http://i.imgur.com/4RxsA5t.jpg.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Organza Quiz posted:

What's the easiest way to turn a youtube video into a decent-quality mp3 of the audio from that video on my computer?

I just use http://www.youtube-mp3.org/.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Organza Quiz posted:

en.savefrom.net will give you mp3 or mp4 versions if you want the videos.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I don't have the Flash plugin installed on my main browser and normally it's not a problem, but occasionally YouTube will refuse to play particular videos without it. What's going on there?

Organza Quiz posted:

Keepvid can download the audio, the video or both.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

stubblyhead posted:

See this guy gets it.

iirc the imgur app will give you a url like this: http://imgur.com/4RxsA5t. You need to stick an i on the front, and a .jpg on the end (the specific extension I don't think actually matters), so in this case http://i.imgur.com/4RxsA5t.jpg.

Had the i in there it was the .jpg that did the trick. Thanks for the info! I'm feeling pretty stupid for not thinking of that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I don't have the Flash plugin installed on my main browser and normally it's not a problem, but occasionally YouTube will refuse to play particular videos without it. What's going on there?

From what I read on it it seems to be about how certain adverts are implemented. So basically Google favouring money over our convenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Is there an adjective that describes something that causes people to become more hostile and adversarial?