Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

i should have bought that armor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
So, hey, I'm back now!

This weekend was "run fights" or "go get a cute guy alone in my hotel room".

I went with the choice that makes everyone scratch their heads in confusion, yes.

So we'll at least get some fights this upcoming weekend and I'll see if I can get some fights run before then, but I have less time during weekdays to sit down and run a fight.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

ZeeToo posted:

So, hey, I'm back now!

I went with the choice that makes everyone scratch their heads in confusion, yes.

So we'll at least get some fights this upcoming weekend and I'll see if I can get some fights run before then, but I have less time during weekdays to sit down and run a fight.

Commissioner ZeeToo now that you're back do you care to weigh in on the pressing issue of how we will conduct the Abominable vs. Panty Thief Yeti Exhibition Grudge Match?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
My main problem with doing things like that is the precedent, but on the other hand I'm tremendously vulnerable to peer pressure...

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

ZeeToo posted:

My main problem with doing things like that is the precedent, but on the other hand I'm tremendously vulnerable to peer pressure...

It was my understanding that the existing Arena Challenge precedent was to settle all disputes through a contest of violence :colbert:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I am pretty sure you are thinking of Boy Scouts. That's the violence solves everything group, not us peaceful Arena people.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Cathode Raymond posted:

Your peasants may have failed to report this since I know for a fact all your betpeasants are insufferable yes-men who would never risk bringing you bad news.

:reflexively crushes the missive and slowly turns toward his underlings with an ominous alan rickman scowl:

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Pickled Tink posted:

Abominable wanted to teach Sun Tzulander how to bite properly. He bit off Krog's eyelid, so she bit off his arm.

That was p. amazing, I was dead worried I was going to break my streak of being useless until that happened.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

ZeeToo posted:

So, hey, I'm back now!

Kidnapping is a crime.

Spermy Smurf posted:

And the one teammate who didnt want to use whips but was peer pressured into changing his build.

I am sure just the name Lightly Whipped makes them cringe.

I called my team mates fools for *buying* whips, I peer pressured nothing.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren: Round 14, Fight 7 :siren:

Lightly Whipped (0-13) is on the left side of the arena.
Ghost-trees (jon joe) is a male molemarian. He wields a copper flail and a wooden buckler and wears a copper mail shirt.
Trump's Viscous Discharge (goatface) is a female minotaur. She wields a wooden shield and wears a bronze helm and a bronze mail shirt.
Grimmik (FillInTheBlank) is a male gremlin. He wields an iron whip and wears a steel helm.
Jupis Tooki McGannel (GreyPowerVan) is a male strangler. He wields a copper crossbow and a wooden shield and wears a copper helm and a copper mail shirt.

Worker Cooperative (8-5) is on the right side of the arena.
Combat Liberalism (Jack the Lad) is a female gremlin. She wields an iron large dagger and wears no armor.
Unthrottle the Axolotl (Zwingley) is a female kobold. She wields a bronze scourge and wears a copper helm, leather armor, a copper mail shirt, leather leggings, copper gauntlets, and copper high boots.
Jameson the Unruly (Cathode Raymond) is a male human. He wields an iron two-handed sword and wears a copper cap, a copper breast plate, copper leggings, copper gauntlets, and copper low boots.
Albrik the Insignificant (Tiler Kiwi) is a male kobold. He wields an iron battleaxe and wears a bronze cap, leather armor, leather leggings, bronze gauntlets, and leather low boots.

Worker Cooperative is a 14.17 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 10572.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 746.00 dwarfbucks for Lightly Whipped.

14:1 ratio? C'mon Lightly Whipped... clean up please. I'm counting on you and your copper bow-hammer, Jupis.

The gladiators clash and Jamesons first strike shatters Trump's left arm. Combat Liberalism chops open Ghost-Trees hand and blood shoots from an artery onto the floor.

Jameson's second swing chops Grimmiks left leg wide open, and the little gremlin falls to the floor. Ghost-Trees charges and sends Combat to the floor stunned. Jupis misses a charge and bounces off of his moleman teammate, and Jupis also ends up stunned.

Albrik chops Grimmiks other leg wide open and Jameson slashes the gremlins leg to the bone for a second time. Jupis, enraged at the treatment of his teammates bravely throws himself on Albriks axe. A strangler foot flies to the air and Jupis begins to reconsider his heroic gesture.

Unthrottle begins working on Ghost-Trees up top, while Albrik starts chopping Trump open.

Jameson removes Grimmiks hand.

Jupis brings out the big guns and does the most damage for his team so far:

Jupis_WHIP bashes Combat Liberalism_WORK in the left lower arm with his copper crossbow, bruising the bone!

I can't even tell you how many bodyparts were cut to the bone. Jameson and Albrik chop up opponents, Unthrottle lashes Ghost-Trees, Jameson takes off another of Grimmiks limbs, and finally Combat Liberalism stabs Jupis's brain.

Grimmik bleeds to death from a lack of limbs, Jameson gets the kill.

Now the gladiators team up on Ghost-Trees and Trump.

Albrik takes off a minotaur foot and Trump hits the dirt. Combat takes off a moleman hand, and Ghost-Trees drops his flail.

Jameson takes off Trumps other foot. Unthrottle breaks Ghost-Trees leg and the moleman falls to the floor. Combat climbs on top of the downed moleman and begins swinging his dagger at Ghost-Trees' face. He takes off a nose to begin.

Combat softens the skull, and Unthrottle finishes the job.

Trumps day is going poorly. He's been chopped open by Jameson and Albrik. He has no feet left. Bones are shattered, limbs are pulped. He becomes enraged.

Jamesons sword finally pierces the bronze helmet.

Work Cooperative wins with an easy 4-0 victory. They sustained 9 bruises across the entire team. Combat Liberalism had 6 of them.

Kills:
Jameson: 2
Combat Liberalism: 1
Unthrottle: 1

Combat Log

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
I thought it was a value bet but at this point I'm not even sure I had favourable odds.

I'd be really interested to see the results of this fight being ran a few dozen times. On second thought, don't, It'd be too depressing.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Powerfrog posted:

I thought it was a value bet but at this point I'm not even sure I had favourable odds.

I'd be really interested to see the results of this fight being ran a few dozen times. On second thought, don't, It'd be too depressing.

More of a value punt really.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Powerfrog posted:

You essentially wasted your money on a lottery ticket.

Anyway. Jameson takes his tally to 14. If he halved that, he'd still be better than the entirety of Lightly Whipped put together. He gained a little on Albrik, but the insignificant one holds on to the team kill lead, having earned himself a division's worth prior.

Lightly Whipped reach the impressive milestone of -50 kill difference. The worst possible kill difference, losing 0-4 every single round for all 18 rounds, would be -72. The worst kill difference Lightly Whipped would be capable of attaining would be -66. Can we get an over/under on how few kills they will get on the way to the bitter end?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

quote:

Albrik_WORK hacks Trump_WHIP in the right hand with his iron battle axe, tearing apart the fat!
The iron battle axe has lodged firmly in the wound!
Trump_WHIP misses Albrik_WORK!
Trump_WHIP strikes at Albrik_WORK but the shot is effortlessly deflected by the iron battle axe!
Albrik_WORK pulls on the embedded iron battle axe

well that answers one question i had about stuckins

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, experimental data a bit thin. Putting an object in the hand (in this case a shield she does not know how to use) appears to stop attempts at wrestling and goring, and she attempts to hit people with it.

Is it possible to over-ride the preference of using a "weapon" in favour of natural weapons (teeth, horns, claws, glistening oiled muscles and elaborate wrestling moves)? The urge to wield something seems pretty powerful.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

goatface posted:

Hmm, experimental data a bit thin. Putting an object in the hand (in this case a shield she does not know how to use) appears to stop attempts at wrestling and goring, and she attempts to hit people with it.

Is it possible to over-ride the preference of using a "weapon" in favour of natural weapons (teeth, horns, claws, glistening oiled muscles and elaborate wrestling moves)? The urge to wield something seems pretty powerful.
Doesn't seem to be a thing. We've seen numerous gladiators swing with shields instead of punching (some gladiators have been built around this).

The AI's (for want of a better term) priority list seems to go something like:
Any held weapon -> Any held object/shield -> Striking/kicking/wrestling -> Biting/goring
[Except for Stranglers and Snakemen who prioritize biting]
Attacks of opportunity can be anything, but aren't common enough to be reliable.

Long story short: give a gladiator a shield and they'll largely forget that they have fists.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Jameson might have set some sort of dismemberment record with that one. It's good that he gets his limb chopping practice in against the lesser teams in time for the playoffs.

Good fight everyone! We will build a monument to Combat Liberalism's lower left arm bone, which was bruised in the melee. Her sacrifice will not be forgotten.

EDIT:

Jameson_WORK slaps Trump_WHIP in the tongue with the flat of his iron two-handed sword and the left cheek explodes into gore!

Jameson's attacks got increasingly weird as the fight went on. I'll have to have a talk with him about the dangers of excessive showiness and how it leads unsuspecting workers down the dark path of capitalist excess.

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 6, 2016

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren: Round 14, Fight 2 :siren:

Spooky Scary Skeletons (6-7) is on the left side of the arena.
Tash Al'rhyn (tithin) is a female werewolf. She wields a silver war hammer and a wooden shield and wears a silver cap, a copper mail shirt, a bronze mail shirt, copper greaves, leather gauntlets, and copper low boots.
Three Gremlins in a Blender (AJ_Impy) is a male strangler. He wields an iron pick and a wooden shield and wears an iron helm, an iron mail shirt, iron gauntlets, and iron low boots.
Bad Munki (Coward) is a male kobold. He wields a steel bow and wears a leather cap.
Candy Corn Tiger (Klokwurk) is a male tigerman. He wields an iron halberd and a wooden shield and wears a bronze helm, an iron mail shirt, bronze gauntlets, and iron high boots.

Two Chicks with Dicks (8-5) is on the right side of the arena.
Suck & gently caress Pighead (Dirty Frank) is a female goblin. She wields a silver war hammer and wears an iron mail shirt.
Bo (Haystack) is a male human. He wields a bronze short sword and a wooden shield and wears a leather cap, an iron mail shirt, leather leggings, leather gauntlets, and leather high boots.
Stumpy (Mygna) is a female dwarf. She wields an iron great axe and wears a copper mail shirt and bronze gauntlets.
Richard Kyanka (Lorrdernie) is a male dark gnome. He wields a bronze large dagger and a wooden buckler and wears no armor.

Spooky Scary Skeletons is a 1.46 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 5150.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 3517.00 dwarfbucks for Two Chicks with Dicks.

The sound of a bowstring coincides with the roar of the crowd. The thunk of an arrow hitting rock coincides with a muttered "gently caress. from Bad Munki.

No worries, Bad Munki's teammates are on their game today. Candy Corn slashes Stumpy in the arm, blood spurts across the arena.

Bad Munki reloads and fires. "gently caress."

Tash takes a hard blow to the dome from Bo, and a followup stab to the neck puts the werewolf down.

Stumpy hacks Three Gremlins in the calf and the strangler falls to the floor.

"Oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress." mutters Bad Munki, fumbling to nock an arrow.

Suck and gently caress walks over and crushes Tash's skull for the first kill of the match.

Three Gremlins rolls away, leg hanging by a thin shred of muscle. Candy Corn, down below, duels with Richard Kyanka the gnome. Neither fighter is able to gain an advantage.

Candy Cornmoves north to help her strangler teammate, but it's too late. Stumpy takes off a limb, Suck and gently caress crushes another skull.

"Oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress." the muttering from the corner gets louder.

The next arrow flies true, but Bo casually blocks it on his shield.

Candy Corn loses a leg to Stumpy's axe. The tiger rolls away north to draw the enemies after him.

Stumpy does not take the bait.

A 3 frame gif

"Oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress."
Bad Munki nearly screams his mantra as the arrow flies past Bo harmlessly.

"AAAAAAAAHHHH MY loving FOOT! YOU CUT OFF MY loving FOOT!"

Stumpy plants her axe in Bad Munkis stomach, and the kobold finally quiets down some. A few more axings and Bad Munki's head flies off. No idea how I missed the killed notification. Oops.

Suck and gently caress crushes her third head of the fight.

Two Chicks with Dicks made that look easy. It helps when it's a legit 4v3 because the bowbold misses all 5 shots. I didn't mention the last one that Bad Munki fired point blank with an axe in his stomach. It hit the bottom wall in the last screenshot.

Kills:
Suck and gently caress: 3
Stumpy: 1

Combat Log

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 6, 2016

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Weird. You'd have thought a werewolf and a goblin with identical weapons would be remotely close in effectiveness. 2CWD are now the team with the most even distribution of kills, with just three between the best and the worst, everyone contributing roughly a quarter of the slaughter. Move over, Worker Cooperative, this is true equality in the arena!

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
I was gonna say that I did literally nothing in that fight but I suppose I did manage to make him drop his halberd in the end.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
That's another decent upset. I wonder if this round's going to be anything like the last one when it comes to surprises?

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

We had the better record going in! :colbert:

now we have a much better record

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Tash might have been as effective. Just poor luck that had her 1v1 with Bo who cut her helmet open with the first blow, then she was in pain the rest of the match which hampered her skills (maybe).

fallingdownjoe posted:

That's another decent upset. I wonder if this round's going to be anything like the last one when it comes to surprises?

Maybe it was a betting upset, but SSS had like 8 less kills and a worse record than 2CWD. Not sure why the betting was the way it was.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Spermy Smurf posted:

Tash might have been as effective. Just poor luck that had her 1v1 with Bo who cut her helmet open with the first blow, then she was in pain the rest of the match which hampered her skills (maybe).

Maybe it was a betting upset, but SSS had like 8 less kills and a worse record than 2CWD. Not sure why the betting was the way it was.

I think some of the descriptions are labeling Candy Corn Tiger as Tash. Tash died relatively early in the fight.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

fallingdownjoe posted:

Not an upset: 8-5 team consolidating 2nd place up against a 6-7 team trying to get out of 3rd in their respective divisions. However, this does mean that Team Laser Explosion are now in the 8th playoff spot, third place in Syrupleaf claiming it from 3rd place in Gemclod.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

LorrdErnie posted:

I think some of the descriptions are labeling Candy Corn Tiger as Tash. Tash died relatively early in the fight.

Nice catch. Fixed 2 instances of it.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Spermy Smurf posted:

Oh, so they did. Don't know why I got it in my head then that it was an upset.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Spermy Smurf posted:

Not sure why the betting was the way it was.

Mostly Klockwerk betting on his own team, which is cool and good.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

AJ_Impy posted:

Weird. You'd have thought a werewolf and a goblin with identical weapons would be remotely close in effectiveness. 2CWD are now the team with the most even distribution of kills, with just three between the best and the worst, everyone contributing roughly a quarter of the slaughter. Move over, Worker Cooperative, this is true equality in the arena!

There's so much variance to say anything for sure, but Goblins have more points and suck & gently caress has little armour and thus probably has more skill points.

Having said that most of her kills are crushing fools skulls when they're already down, so it could be the rest of the team being good. Thanks team!

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Oh, what the gently caress? I may as well have brought a whip. :negative:

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Coward posted:

You bet against your team, you deserve nothing.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Coward posted:

It might not have been your fault in really. I'm pretty sure a lot of dodging was going on which is a real problem for archers it seems.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

LorrdErnie posted:

It might not have been your fault in really. I'm pretty sure a lot of dodging was going on which is a real problem for archers it seems.

Pretty much this. Five rounds rapid is good going, you were just shooting at people in the Matrix.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Dirty Frank posted:

You bet against your team, you deserve nothing.

Huh. Are there people who are actually offended or weirded out that I always bet against my own team? This is like the second or third time this has come up. I can kind of understand that it might be viewed as sort of disloyal or that I'm deliberately taking a dive or something, is that it?

AJ_Impy posted:

Pretty much this. Five rounds rapid is good going, you were just shooting at people in the Matrix.

In previous matches it's always been shields that have been the bane of my archers, but looking at the log it's always people jumping away. Out of curiosity, is there any relationship between how high Bow skill (or is it Archery skill) is and whether people dodge, or is it purely just how high the Dodge skill is that determines it?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Coward posted:

And here I was thinking Jupis should bring some arrows based on how well you were doing.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

FillInTheBlank posted:

Kidnapping is a crime.

I'd wreak vengeance on you for this, but you're already part of Lightly Whipped, so I guess I can't make things worse than they are.

Coward posted:

Your fighter's failures are the deepest persistent mystery of this tournament since Apeliminator got two kills.

Coward posted:

In previous matches it's always been shields that have been the bane of my archers, but looking at the log it's always people jumping away. Out of curiosity, is there any relationship between how high Bow skill (or is it Archery skill) is and whether people dodge, or is it purely just how high the Dodge skill is that determines it?

Keep in mind that there's two sorts of "dodge" here. One is actually the dodging that checks the dodge skill ("x leaps away from the flying {steel arrow}"), and the other is random motion. Often if a fighter just plain takes a step or two, the arrow doesn't come close enough to even roll an attack. I'm not sure if Bow skill affects the first one, but I'm relatively sure Archery doesn't, and Archery just keeps it more on course, which depending can be helpful or not for the second one.

High skills are a positive, mind! Try pretty much any set-up with a good archer and a bad archer (either skill or both) with all else held equal, and the good one really does do better... over a statistically meaningful number of tests...

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 7, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ZeeToo posted:

Your fighter's failures are the deepest persistent mystery of this tournament since Apeliminator got two kills.

Three, thanks. My small mechanical monkey has three kills.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

ZeeToo posted:

And why Krog Bonesmasha got his rear end handed to him by Sun Tzu.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

ZeeToo posted:

Keep in mind that there's two sorts of "dodge" here. One is actually the dodging that checks the dodge skill ("x leaps away from the flying {steel arrow}"), and the other is random motion. Often if a fighter just plain takes a step or two, the arrow doesn't come close enough to even roll an attack. I'm not sure if Bow skill affects the first one, but I'm relatively sure Archery doesn't, and Archery just keeps it more on course, which depending can be helpful or not for the second one.

High skills are a positive, mind! Try pretty much any set-up with a good archer and a bad archer (either skill or both) with all else held equal, and the good one really does do better... over a statistically meaningful number of tests...

There are three shots in the Log that I can see. One is blocked on a shield, two are "jumps away", with the other two presumably just being bog-standard misses that aren't even mentioned in the Log. I'm interested in whether or not the Dodge is at all affected by the Bow skill, or whether it's just a straight skill check if the arrow comes into the square. With a relatively low rate of fire and an archer's need to get a solid first or second shot in, having whether or not you get a hit in be determined mostly by the other person's skills is a bit daunting. Especially as a tournament goes on Dodge skill is likely to increase, whereas the similar increase in Bow skill does not make too much of a difference.

I am determined to one day get an archer to be formidable throughout a tournament somehow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Or, and I am just spitballing here, you could bribe the commissioners with Makers Mark to make sure your dude does well.