Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Ever notice health nuts, vegans, and other such nutcases always yell and scream about how awesome and tasty their peel-scrapings are? I always get the impression that inside each and every one of their heads is a tiny person on their knees sobbing and begging for a Big Mac and a giant chocolate shake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

I didn't even know people ate bee pollen.

I thought this was honey but I've been wrong before.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Ever notice health nuts, vegans, and other such nutcases always yell and scream about how awesome and tasty their peel-scrapings are? I always get the impression that inside each and every one of their heads is a tiny person on their knees sobbing and begging for a Big Mac and a giant chocolate shake.

We all have that little person in our heads. Theirs is just in a straight jacket and drowning in a pool of gross fermented tea, praying for escape and vengeance the next time they slip on the fad diet of the season.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Argyle posted:

Great timing for this thread, because minutes ago I overheard coworkers talking about activated cashews.

edit: Even though they've been very clearly processed ("activating" nuts requires soaking them in salt water and then rinsing or drying/baking), this shop is still calling them "raw".

I wonder what they think warrants a 4x price tag on those. i guess salt water is pretty pricey.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Intoluene posted:

It's made from regurgitated nectar. Sure there's some pollen in it because bees are filthy with it, but it's not made out of pollen. Also, what the hell are people talking about eating "bee pollen"? Bees don't make pollen. Flowers do. Is someone scraping pollen off of bees and consuming for "health" reasons. That sounds really labor intensive.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Intoluene posted:

Why not just call it honey then?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

chemtrail huffer posted:

How Hollywood's Favorite Juice Bar Owner Eats Every Day

http://www.elle.com/beauty/health-fitness/a28600/amanda-chantal-bacon-moon-juice-food-diary/

This woman is going to die of malnutrition and take her kid with her.

Holy poo poo she literally drinks crushed pearls for her skin. Someone really should give that kid a healthier life, like with a nice meth family.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

HairyManling posted:

It's made from regurgitated nectar. Sure there's some pollen in it because bees are filthy with it, but it's not made out of pollen. Also, what the hell are people talking about eating "bee pollen"? Bees don't make pollen. Flowers do. Is someone scraping pollen off of bees and consuming for "health" reasons. That sounds really labor intensive.

Bees collect the pollen for protein and mush it into balls. And then some woo artist steals it from the bees and sells it for ludicrous amounts of money

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So am I right in guessing this "Moon Juice" website exists just to scam people out of their money with bullshit miracle products?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Internet Kraken posted:

I didn't even know people ate bee pollen.

quote:

Bee pollen is a mystical dance between flowers and bees, yielding a pre-digested, easily assimilated, alkaline food dense with antioxidants, minerals, vitamins, 22 essential amino acids and bio-available proteins. High levels of vitamin B combat acne and wrinkles while pollen soothes allergies. A potent aphrodisiac, blood nourisher and muscle food, bee pollen supports fertility and stamina, muscle growth and definition, and recovery from exercise.

Please refrigerate immediately upon receipt of shipment.

Note: This product contains Bee Pollen which has been reported to cause severe allergic reactions, especially in asthma and allergy sufferers.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Thank you for warning me that your bee pollen contains bee pollen.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

XYZ posted:

Thank you for warning me that your bee pollen contains bee pollen.

This is something I've always found really confusing. You know when you buy a little sleeve of peanuts and it says on the back "WARNING: CONTAINS PEANUTS". ??? Why?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Because a lot of people are complete morons incapable of taking care of themselves. If they're that dumb I feel like it would be a mercy to let them die naturally, by peanuts.

Kinda like the back of a Triscuts box-- the ingredients are like "wheat, salt, vegetable oil; WARNING CONTAINS WHEAT." No loving poo poo.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

chemtrail huffer posted:

http://www.elle.com/beauty/health-fitness/a28600/amanda-chantal-bacon-moon-juice-food-diary/

Seriously, that looks like what 1950s science fiction movies imagined people in the future would eat.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

So am I right in guessing this "Moon Juice" website exists just to scam people out of their money with bullshit miracle products?

It's a juice/health food store here in LA, which is probably the world capitol of rich, dumb people who are obsessed with health and appearances, willing to shell out tons of money for tonics and elixirs.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

cash crab posted:

This is something I've always found really confusing. You know when you buy a little sleeve of peanuts and it says on the back "WARNING: CONTAINS PEANUTS". ??? Why?

The risk of harm times the gravity of the potential harm is weighed against the burden of taking precautions.

In other words having the labels gives us non-allergic people some amusement and confusion but not having the labels potentially gives an allergic person certain death.

Children are at particular harm here and those with allergies are taught to check labels instinctively. A child may not make the distinction that peanut butter contains peanuts, instead thinking it's peanut flavoured butter. The label may potentially save their life as well as medical treatment at the states expense. The label itself costs virtually nothing.

You'll find that peanut packaging will often say CONTAINS NUTS. This is a seperate issue because peanuts are not nuts.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

chemtrail huffer posted:

https://twitter.com/bobby/status/695630146166984704

https://twitter.com/misterbrilliant/status/555332506485264384

iustorum_anime
Apr 4, 2016

quote:

Between my hectic job and nourishing social life, it’s not always easy to find the time to make mealtime “me”-time. It’s hard running an empire without being expected to make dinner! This ain’t no disco, and it ain’t no country club, either: this is America’s glistening food megalopolis. And I’m a modern businesswoman, not some do-nothing Italian grandmother.

Breakfast is the same thing, every day: denuded feldspar. I soak it overnight in Mexican creek foam to create a pudding, which I suck from a vinegar-soaked sponge. It’s truly hands free, which lets me simultaneously do my sun grunts and marinate my anus in squeezed orange pith.

Then it’s time to wake my son, Protein, for “school.” A lot of people in Los Angeles spend a ton of money on preschool, but Protein is already instructing inmates at a correctional facility to make confusing vanity license plates for poor people. Before he wheeled off on his solarblades, I tucked a wad of palm chaw into his perfect lower lip and air-kissed both of his gills.

I’m always on the go, so I tend to grab what I can. It takes me about 72 minutes to be delivered from our treehouse in Watts to the store by palanquin, so by the time I get there I am starving.

Today, for source family meal, we have a frozen beet foreskin sprinkled with volcanic ash and a gentle wreath of hemp pubes. So simple and satisfying! Normally I don’t snack between meals but a strong wind passed through the shop when my assistant, Notion, opened the front door to throw a bag of fungus rinds at a smackhead. So I had a little bit of rind breeze, then used a hollowed out wax bean to snort a line of the fictional worm spice from “Dune.”

Then it was time to visit my west side shop. I spent the shank of the afternoon in a throne made of pygmy bone ivory, focus-grouping new juices and crêmes while picking my teeth with a minature sceptre made from the Dalai Llama’s sundried phlegm.

I’m kind of a freak about quality, so all of our elixirs are passed through an onyx cock ring and ingested via douche. One of our interns had a birthday, but since none of us eat cake, I whipped him mercilessly with a studded turquoise belt.

Dinner was a bouquet of tulips with my husband. We flash-boiled those in a marble cylinder full of rose quartz schmaltz and iron filings salvaged from the deck of the sunken French battleship Richelieu. My husband has been dead for eleven months, after Protein and I sacrificed him to the Egyptian God of death in a beautiful Equinox blood ritual.

Around 11, Protein gets home, having basejumped into our rapeseed grove. For dessert, we pried the burls off of a thousand year old black oak while I cried. Protein left me to charge his crystals in the waning moonlight, so I climbed between two sheets of sous-vide human plasma I sleep in, and sipped my nightly gel tea made from clarified gerbil nipple discharge, through a crazy straw while I cut myself. All night I will be haunted by lesbian-tinged anxiety dreams about whale birth.

https://medium.com/@boobsradley/bet...458b#.9w2cq27g2

littlebluellama
Jun 18, 2013

I am kind, brave and deserve love.

chemtrail huffer posted:

the "brain dust" contains cordyceps... I think the fungus has engulfed her brain and is trying to nourish itself until she can clamber up the Hollywood sign and rain down spores on the rest of LA.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

duckmaster posted:

The risk of harm times the gravity of the potential harm is weighed against the burden of taking precautions.

In other words having the labels gives us non-allergic people some amusement and confusion but not having the labels potentially gives an allergic person certain death.

Children are at particular harm here and those with allergies are taught to check labels instinctively. A child may not make the distinction that peanut butter contains peanuts, instead thinking it's peanut flavoured butter. The label may potentially save their life as well as medical treatment at the states expense. The label itself costs virtually nothing.

You'll find that peanut packaging will often say CONTAINS NUTS. This is a seperate issue because peanuts are not nuts.

This post absolutely sucked the fun out of my bemusement, but it was very informative, so thank you.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

littlebluellama posted:

the "brain dust" contains cordyceps... I think the fungus has engulfed her brain and is trying to nourish itself until she can clamber up the Hollywood sign and rain down spores on the rest of LA.

Yeah I noticed that too and I was like "lady you do know that poo poo zombifies ants"

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

For comparison, here's what The Rock eats every day.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/nutrition/meal-plans/smell-what-rock-cooking

Dude likes himself some cod.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Yeah I noticed that too and I was like "lady you do know that poo poo zombifies ants"

I was curious about that and did some basic googling about it. Apparently, cordyceps is extremely valuable in Chinese folk medicine and is believed to have a bunch of healing properties associated with it. This is bullshit of course but that doesn't keep people from buying into it. So people harvest the parasitic fungus to sell as a cure-all. This has caused the price of them to skyrocket. As food, they aren't very impressive and have a mild taste. The only reason people eat them is because they are so expensive now. Cause everything that costs a lot of money must be good right?

That lady probably believes all the nonsense about their mystic healing powers though, so she's eating them for that I guess.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

duckmaster posted:

To be fair, if a child is old enough to be preparing their own food but dumb enough to not know how to read an ingredients list, they're probably gonna die no matter what. I mean, a stupid kid left to his own devices does not last long and I doubt warnings on food would help.

iustorum_anime
Apr 4, 2016

littlebluellama posted:

here's hoping.

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011
As someone who has a severe nut allergy, those notes are pretty helpful. It may seem redundant but when you pick something up its way easier to look at the bolded print on the bottom to see what allergens may be present rather than read the entire label.

On the other hand it's hilarious to me to see people spending so much for organic or non-gmo foods. I know this is a contentious subject but all the farmers I know buy conventional (I live in one of the biggest winter produce areas in the nation)

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

GopherFlats posted:

As someone who has a severe nut allergy, those notes are pretty helpful. It may seem redundant but when you pick something up its way easier to look at the bolded print on the bottom to see what allergens may be present rather than read the entire label.

Please tell me you don't have to read the label on a pack of peanuts to understand that it contains nuts.

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011
I wish I would have paid more attention to the warning on that $1 pack of peanuts.

No, it isn't the obvious things that you worry about. There are actually a lot of products that have nut by-products or wheat in them that you wouldn't realize.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Peanut packages don't have peanut warnings because they seriously think people won't realise they have peanuts in them, they have peanut warnings because every product with peanuts in them needs one and there's no use granting exceptions just because it sometimes looks a little silly.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

AlphaKretin posted:

Peanut packages don't have peanut warnings because they seriously think people won't realise they have peanuts in them, they have peanut warnings because every product with peanuts in them needs one and there's no use granting exceptions just because it sometimes looks a little silly.

Yeah obviously everyone is gonna realize a can of peanuts contains loving peanuts. Its just that when you have a mandate requiring a big CONTAINS PEANUTS label on everything that has them, that's gonna include the stuff where its obvious. Its meant for the products where the ingredients aren't obvious but nobody is going to waste time sorting out what products qualify for that. Its easier to just print the warning on everything where its applicable.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

This is hilarious.

I'm thinking if every food item you eat needs three or four adjectives to describe them, you're probably paying too much. Also, you could probably substitute your diet by ingesting your own farts.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Scathach posted:

Please tell me you don't have to read the label on a pack of peanuts to understand that it contains nuts.

A pack of peanuts doesn't contain nuts, though?

Look, it's easier for the company to ensure warnings are on the label so they're covered. Easy. No suing. As well as that,it might save a life. Why not have it on there?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Roblo posted:

A pack of peanuts doesn't contain nuts, though?

While tree nut allergies and peanut allergies are different it is possible to be effected one even even though you're only allergic to the other because the proteins are often extremely similar. So yea everyone knows that a peanut is a loving legume thanks but the warning still applies.

In fact the reason a nut warning is on a package of peanuts is because they're worried about some little turd middle schooler showing off his incredibly annoying intellect by telling his tree nut allergic friend he can eat a bag of peanuts because, no dude, get this, they aren't nuts at all! They're legumes!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

All that 'healthy' eating to look like a skinny-fat nerd.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Internet Kraken posted:

I was curious about that and did some basic googling about it. Apparently, cordyceps is extremely valuable in Chinese folk medicine and is believed to have a bunch of healing properties associated with it. This is bullshit of course but that doesn't keep people from buying into it. So people harvest the parasitic fungus to sell as a cure-all. This has caused the price of them to skyrocket. As food, they aren't very impressive and have a mild taste. The only reason people eat them is because they are so expensive now. Cause everything that costs a lot of money must be good right?

That lady probably believes all the nonsense about their mystic healing powers though, so she's eating them for that I guess.

Here's an article from National Geographic about it if anyone else is curious too.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Say Nothing posted:

All that 'healthy' eating to look like a skinny-fat nerd.
Also given that tryhard menu (loving emu meatballs) that he probably spent hours compiling Pete got pretty much rekt there by the expert. And he was such a good boy.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7J7ksopTb8

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

chemtrail huffer posted:

I would eat the gently caress out of that zucchini thing/umeboshi paste roll. That is because my mother, like Rohan's mother, is also completely loving insane and had massive issues regarding food. Juice oval office will ruin his adolescence.

Umeboshi are legit delicious, though.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 6, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The biggest thing I have against the woo food fad is that you can replace all their terms with magic and magical and it would still make as much sense as the original.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
Lmbo bulletproof coffee, the website itself tells you to scam your doctor for modafinil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Scathach posted:

To be fair, if a child is old enough to be preparing their own food but dumb enough to not know how to read an ingredients list, they're probably gonna die no matter what. I mean, a stupid kid left to his own devices does not last long and I doubt warnings on food would help.

Are you suggesting we should get rid of the warnings because everyone should be able to read an ingredients list, identifying all the relevant additives, even in less than prime conditions (low light etc), with interruptions and low levels of literacy?

Dim the lights, pretend you have the reading comprehension of a twelve year old, set your phones alarm to go off every thirty seconds, and identify all the allergens in this products ingredients list:

quote:

Chicken Stock, Carrots, Potatoes (With Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate To Protect Color), Peas, Heavy Cream, Modified Food Starch, Contains 2% Or Less Of Wheat Flour, Salt, Chicken Fat, Dried Dairy Blend (Whey, Calcium Caseinate), Butter (Cream, Salt), Natural Chicken Flavor With Other Natural Flavors (Salt, Natural Flavoring, Maltodextrin, Milk Solids, Nonfat Dry Milk, Chicken Fat, Beef Extract, Ascorbic Acid [To Help Protect Flavor]), Monosodium Glutamate, Liquid Margarine (Vegetable Oil Blend [Liquid Soybean, Hydrogenated Cottonseed, Hydrogenated Soybean], Water, Vegetable Mono And Diglycerides, Beta Carotene [Color]), Roasted Garlic Juice Flavor (Garlic Juice, Salt, Natural Flavors), Gelatin, Roasted Onion Juice Flavor (Onion Juice, Salt, Natural Flavors), Chicken Pot Pie Flavor (Hydrolyzed Corn, Soy And Wheat Gluten Protein, Salt, Vegetable Stock [Carrot, Onion, Celery], Maltodextrin, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Flavors, Dextrose, Chicken Broth), Chicken Stock, Sugar, Mono and Diglycerides With Citric Acid to Protect Flavor, Spice, Seasoning (Soybean Oil, Oleoresin Turmeric, Spice Extractives), Parsley, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Yellow 5. Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil, Water, Nonfat Milk, Maltodextrin, Salt, Dextrose, Sugar, Whey, Natural Flavor, Butter, Citric Acid, Dough Conditioner, L-Cysteine Hydrochloride, Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Benzoate (Preservatives), Colored With Yellow 5 & Red 40. Fresh Chicken Marinated With: Salt, Sodium Phosphate and Monosodium Glutamate. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Natural Flavorings, Citric Acid, Maltodextrin, Sugar, Corn Syrup Solids, With Not More Than 2% Calcium Silicate Added as an Anti Caking Agent OR Fresh Chicken Marinated With: Salt, Sodium Phosphate and Monosodium Glutamate. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Corn Starch, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Modified Corn Starch, Spice Extractives, Citric Acid, and 2% Calcium Silicate added as Anticaking Agent OR Fresh Chicken Marinated With: Salt, Sodium Phosphate and Monosodium Glutamate. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Sodium Chloride and Anti-caking Agent (Tricalcium Phosphate), Nonfat Milk, Egg Whites, Colonel’s Secret Original Recipe Seasoning OR Potato Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Sodium Chloride and Anti-caking agent (Tricalcium Phosphate), Nonfat Milk, Egg Whites, Colonel’s Secret Original Recipe Seasoning OR Potato Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Natural Flavorings, Citric Acid, Maltodextrin, Sugar, Corn Syrup Solids, With Not More Than 2% Calcium Silicate Added as an Anti Caking Agent OR Potato Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Corn Starch, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Modified Corn Starch, Spice Extractives, Citric Acid, and 2% Calcium Silicate Added As Anticaking Agent OR Seasoning (Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Garlic Powder, Spice Extractives, Onion Powder), Soy Protein Concentrate, Rice Starch and Sodium Phosphates. Battered With: Water, Wheat Flour, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Salt, Dextrose, Monosodium Glutamate, Spice and Onion Powder. Predusted With: Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Salt, Dried Egg Whites, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Monosodium Glutamate, Spice and Onion Powder. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Soy Flour, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Monosodium Glutamate, Spice, Nonfat Dry Milk, Onion Powder, Dextrose, Extractives of Turmeric and Extractives of Annatto. Breading Set in Vegetable oil.

Bonus points if you can identify the product!

• Locked thread