Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Pwnstar posted:

Siege of Dragonspear has another Ring of Wizardry, allowing for a truly absurd amount of casts if you have more than one Mage in the party.

aw yea, gonna throw that poo poo on my sorcerer and enjoy 28 magic missiles.

wait, will it be 28? does it double the the already doubled or just adds another 7 on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
You can't use two together.

But fear not, for you shall soon find this:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Milky Moor posted:

Minsc's gamergate line is the one thing I've seen in SoD so far that I've disliked. While BG1 and BG2 both had some meta jokes and references to pop culture, they were also walking that clever line between stupid and funny. Take, for example, Jaheira's line "If a tree falls in the woods... I'll kill the bastard what done it." We know Jaheira's a druid and she's kind of aggressive - this is funny! Khalid's line, a Porky Pig reference, doesn't quite cross into stupid territory because Warner Bros stuff is iconic (and, again, Khalid is a bit of a coward so it could be something he says). Xzar's Hannibal reference is similar. The previous lines drew from iconic pop culture while being dressed up just enough to fit the characters.

Minsc's line feels like they just wanted to be topical and make a tired meme joke. It's way too on the nose and isn't accurate for Minsc as a character. It was like, okay guys, you've made the same tired joke a hundred other people have done, well done.

The fact that angry nerds are bashing the game over it (and the transperson cleric, of course) is pretty laughable, however, but I do think it was not a well-executed joke or even one that should've been made.
I find Xzar intolerable, personally, but, more to the point, you have to actively look for Minsc's line, whereas characters like Xzar and Quayle are walking references.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rookersh posted:

Multiple gods are outright stated to be gender neutral/fluid, and switch genders on whim. Many are ambiguous.

I can't think of a single deity in the Realms like this. Who are you thinking of?

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Rookersh posted:

Multiple gods are outright stated to be gender neutral/fluid, and switch genders on whim. Many are ambiguous.

There are multiple potions and items that allow you to switch your gender. This implies a desire for this sort of thing within the setting.

Edwin if left to his own devices will turn himself into a woman. While it's played as a joke, it also does touch on a few of the issues of trans identity.

The core theme of Baldurs Gate is how you view yourself internally, despite how others view you thanks to you being a Bhaalspawn. This is very easy to convert into traditional trans identity issues.

Elminster, a major player in the Realms turned himself into a woman for quite a long time, partially because his god wanted to hide him, partially because he requested it.

There's also the issue of "politicizing" DnD. Considering BG2 has two separate modern day abortion debates almost verbatim, and that's just what I remember offhand. I'm sure people in this thread who have played it more recently can find a lot more political topics represented in the Baldur's Gate series.

Basically, people are just assholes.

Elminster turned into a lady cause the writer is a perv, it's weird to present it as a progressive embrace of trans issues. I also really disagree about the theme but this is a computer game so eh.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Tbh talking about the game's overarching theme and all is already making a lot more out of this than it is. Because it is one line of dialogue explaining part of a minor recurring NPC's backstory.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

ineptmule posted:

Christ, I almost didn't buy this expansion to one of my favourite games of all time due to glancing at the average rating and top couple of reviews on GOG. loving hell nerds.

But they have a transgender character and don't tell you to kill him for pretending to be a woman, it's telling you what to think!

If you'll excuse me, I need to go shut my ears in the oven door like a Harry Potter house elf for that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

rakovsky maybe posted:

Elminster turned into a lady cause the writer is a perv, it's weird to present it as a progressive embrace of trans issues. I also really disagree about the theme but this is a computer game so eh.

No, that section of Making of a Mage is specifically framed as a tribute to the Grecian myth of Tiresias.

I mentioned it before, but Ed has gone to great lengths to portray marginalized people in his work (with Editorial often fighting him on it.) He is notable for running a gaming group of mainly women for decades, and has repeatedly been responsive to and respectful of women in his audience. Yes, he's sexually progressive in a way that a lot of people find offputting, but he's been one of the staunchest allies of social causes in tabletop gaming since forever.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
I'm sure the moonfaced nerdladies in ill-fitting corsets appreciate Greenwood's political opinions as he heaves his corpulence atop them.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The thrills of high level combat!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Wizard Styles posted:

I find Xzar intolerable, personally, but, more to the point, you have to actively look for Minsc's line, whereas characters like Xzar and Quayle are walking references.

You also have to click on Khalid and Xzar repeatedly for their zanier lines, too.

The "Actually..." joke is a tired meme. It got given to Minsc because he's 'random' but they ignored that his weirdness was focused around Boo and being a typical hero, not whatever was popular at the time.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
IMO the most unrealistic part of the Mizhena dialogue is that you can go up to a woman you dont know and ask her why her name sounds so weird and she doesnt tell you to gently caress off. Who says that to people?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Milky Moor posted:

You also have to click on Khalid and Xzar repeatedly for their zanier lines, too.

The "Actually..." joke is a tired meme. It got given to Minsc because he's 'random' but they ignored that his weirdness was focused around Boo and being a typical hero, not whatever was popular at the time.

It's a pretty typical hero thing to pretend to be caring about morals and ethics while going for treasure. Like, to the point of being kind of defining of the genre.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Borderlands 2 is a good example of writing based around memes that only gets to be funny maybe once and then becomes unbearable in successive playthroughs. Unfortunately, the loot gathering and gunplay are good and the game sold well, so the idea that memeing your way through games writing to the point of cringe is viable has implanted itself in some people's minds.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

insanityv2 posted:

IMO the most unrealistic part of the Mizhena dialogue is that you can go up to a woman you dont know and ask her why her name sounds so weird and she doesnt tell you to gently caress off. Who says that to people?

Sadly, if you're trans you get very resigned about answering those questions all the time as a daily matter. I once got into a ten minute conversation about loving Jazz Jennings with a Tim Hortons cashier. I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT HER SHOW LADY JUST GIVE ME MY TEA.

Also CHARNAME is very well known for being very impolite and yelling rude questions into people's faces.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
The trans character in this game isn't even nearly the cringe factor of your entire fuckable harem of characters in the Dragon Age games. That poo poo is just downright embarrassing and sold shitloads of copies.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Keiya posted:

It's a pretty typical hero thing to pretend to be caring about morals and ethics while going for treasure. Like, to the point of being kind of defining of the genre.

Minsc is positively guileless.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

insanityv2 posted:

"People being really impolite to women" isn't particularly unrealistic :v:

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Bobfly posted:

Am I correct in assuming that basically no mods work with this new expansion yet?

Nope. Clean install, modmerge, then install your mods.

http://www.scottbrooks.ca/modmerge/

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
New UI mod for SoD. No one's ported this loving thing over to bg2 yet but i hope they do before i finish SoD because my BG blood is pumping and i'm going straight into that.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50357/mod-sod-widescreen-gui-tweaks

the spell menus are a bit poo poo though, too much wasted space for my liking.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vikar Jerome posted:

aw yea, gonna throw that poo poo on my sorcerer and enjoy 28 magic missiles.

wait, will it be 28? does it double the the already doubled or just adds another 7 on?

You know, there are already 2 rings of wizardry in BG1. :ssh:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

ritorix posted:

You know, there are already 2 rings of wizardry in BG1. :ssh:

Not in my stupidly over modded game there wasn't. I think hard times removed it or it was lost with the randomizer. I've not played original bg1 since 1998.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

New UI mod for SoD. No one's ported this loving thing over to bg2 yet but i hope they do before i finish SoD because my BG blood is pumping and i'm going straight into that.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50357/mod-sod-widescreen-gui-tweaks

the spell menus are a bit poo poo though, too much wasted space for my liking.

The default UI will be continually upgraded. - I'm not happy with the spell screens and I'd like to get them fixed up ASAP. Things are a little rough around the edges right now because we had to rebuild the entire BG UI in the new system but it should make future improvements 10x easier. But the mods already coming out of the bg forums are insane, as seen above. I'm really happy that worked out.

Kirk fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 6, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I had Charname, Dynaheir and Neera each with their own Ring of Wizardry. It was as beautiful as it was pointless.

Milky Moor posted:

I don't think it's funny, either, I just don't see how it could ever be an issue. You'll never hear it in a normal playthrough.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Does the UI mod let a cleric/thief use thief abilities without going to a sub menu?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Well, this did not take long.

Butthurt mod:
http://www.moddb.com/games/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition/downloads/siege-of-dragonspear-corrections

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dear god this is such an insignificant thing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

But robocops ruined mah tabletop game *clutches yellowed, beer-stained 2e rulebook* :qq:

2e is for fuckin babies anyway. 1e is for true ballers. Gender don't matter when you are 75% likely to die to a trap in the first 100' of your first dungeon.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

If you can get mods working on BG1 EE now does that mean I can install no xp cap and do FMT the way it was meant to be played?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I started a new save when SoD came out and I'm about to tackle Sarevok. But I skipped TOSC content this time around - does anyone think it's worth going through that now? Does SoD expect characters to have gone through Durlag's and gained that extra XP and items?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

ritorix posted:

I started a new save when SoD came out and I'm about to tackle Sarevok. But I skipped TOSC content this time around - does anyone think it's worth going through that now? Does SoD expect characters to have gone through Durlag's and gained that extra XP and items?

I don't think brand new SOD characters start at TOSC XP amounts and only vanilla xp amounts. So maybe not.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

cheesetriangles posted:

If you can get mods working on BG1 EE now does that mean I can install no xp cap and do FMT the way it was meant to be played?

yeah. just install that merger that keeps getting linked in the thread and you are golden. i think scs has problems though but that just needs an update.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Kirk posted:

The default UI will be continually upgraded. - I'm not happy with the spell screens and I'd like to get them fixed up ASAP. Things are a little rough around the edges right now because we had to rebuild the entire BG UI in the new system but it should make future improvements 10x easier. But the mods already coming out of the bg forums are insane, as seen above. I'm really happy that worked out.

I think you guys aced it with the SoD hud and its modability, i just wanna playthrough bg2 with the whole SoD textures now but i'm too lazy to extract them all.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Are there any plans to add the new David Warner and Jim Cummings voice packs to BG2?
Because it would be oh so good to have those voicepacks for the eventual BG2 run after I am done with BG1+expansions. Again.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Luisfe posted:

Are there any plans to add the new David Warner and Jim Cummings voice packs to BG2?
Because it would be oh so good to have those voicepacks for the eventual BG2 run after I am done with BG1+expansions. Again.

Yes they are either already there or will be in the next patch.

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004
Anyone having issues with multiplayer? Trying to do bg1 with a pal but we can't see each other's servers. Tried hamachi and adding a firewall exception.

Only difference is that I have sod and he doesn't.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Luisfe posted:

Nope. Clean install, modmerge, then install your mods.

http://www.scottbrooks.ca/modmerge/

Does that work on Steam? Tried it a few days ago and nogo.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

LowellDND posted:

Does that work on Steam? Tried it a few days ago and nogo.
seems to work for me.
E: Is your steam games folder in program files? That can cause many issues. I have it in a separate folder out of the program files structure.

Kirk posted:

Yes they are either already there or will be in the next patch.

Happy day! That is fantastic! Thanks!

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Kinda thinking of making a dumb fun IWD party to try out some kits, consisting of:
Dark Moon Monk
Blackguard
Dragon Disciple
Priest of Talos
...and then I don't know.

Shadowdancer, maybe? Has anyone played that? Alternatively I might throw a F/M/T in and see how that works in a party.

Also no idea about the last party member, I guess some Fighter multiclass is always fun and good if I don't go the F/M/T route for the requisite Thief.

"Finally, you can rest easy knowing that two lines of dialogue you had to actively seek out to begin with aren't in the game anymore. Trauma averted, liberal conspiracy stopped."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Well I just beat Sarevok and ran into my first major SoD bug. It auto-loaded into the new expansion and did the initial chat in the new area. But I clicked on a party member that wasn't around, where was Kagain and Viconia? Oh...still back in the Sarevok fight. poo poo.