Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Crumpled up balls of paper or foil. Mine go crazy and chase those everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
Try just buying a bulk roll of wax paper and tearing off a section and crumpling it. I used to work with kittens in a clinic and multiple unrelated litters would go NUTS over wax paper.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The best success I've had though is flinging ham slices like frisbees

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

The best success I've had though is flinging ham slices like frisbees

New thread title?

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

I'd consider changing my name to HAM SLICE FRISBEE

Also, seconding aluminum foil balls. Nice thing about those is you can decide how big you want to make them, so maybe they won't get jammed under my motherfucking fridge like every other toy in the house :argh:

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Pom poms from craft stores are great. All cats seem to love them. The only problem is if you have a cat that likes to chew on them after they catch them, then they get gross really fast.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

SynthOrange posted:

Crumpled up balls of paper or foil. Mine go crazy and chase those everywhere.

Yes, this. Crumpled up ball of paper outranks every catnip mouse and jingle ball. She loves how easy it is to bat around by herself.

She also gets into random pens or crayons on the floor.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7NAeCJl924

Felt balls too.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Wolfgang went blorf on my floor earlier this morning. Pale yellow liquid. I was surprised to see no food or hairballs in it - no solid matter at all. He seems to be back to normal after. Anything to worry about?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Pet stores around here are selling lengths of woven cable wrap as "kitty bonks". Newcat came with one, but doesn't seem to pay much attention to it. How should I play with it with her?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Hyperlynx posted:

Wolfgang went blorf on my floor earlier this morning. Pale yellow liquid. I was surprised to see no food or hairballs in it - no solid matter at all. He seems to be back to normal after. Anything to worry about?

Probably just bile. Cats hork up stuff all the time.

If he makes a habit of it, then you can worry.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Reik posted:

I bought this for my cats and they didn't hate it which is a beaming recommendation from cats:

http://www.musicforcats.com/

They have a sample you can play and see if your cat reacts to it but it's a very interesting concept.
it sounded interesting enough, but then i decided that they can go gently caress themselves when i went to the order page and they were sold out of the digital download for the album HOW IS THIS loving POSSIBLE

Lareine posted:

Pom poms from craft stores are great. All cats seem to love them. The only problem is if you have a cat that likes to chew on them after they catch them, then they get gross really fast.
the sparkle ones are the best in my experience, though it's hard for me to find larger ones you can really throw

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

duckfarts posted:

it sounded interesting enough, but then i decided that they can go gently caress themselves when i went to the order page and they were sold out of the digital download for the album HOW IS THIS loving POSSIBLE

the sparkle ones are the best in my experience, though it's hard for me to find larger ones you can really throw

I think it's just a system error, some people were getting charged for shipping on digital downloads and they had to refund it all.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Pet stores around here are selling lengths of woven cable wrap as "kitty bonks". Newcat came with one, but doesn't seem to pay much attention to it. How should I play with it with her?

In my experience, you don't get to choose the toy, even with the miniature assholes even though they'll chase dust.

In other news, I took the advice of distracting my cat with a real toy when she goes after my hands. But now I think she associates the two together. Attack my hands, get playtime. I live in a studio apartment so ignoring her will be tough because my only escape is outside or my bathroom. And it's cold out. And I lost my voice so I can't yell.
On the bright side, by forcing myself to play and wear her out even after 13 hours at work, she seems to be more cuddly.

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013

MrSlam posted:

Cheapo cat toys are always the best cat toys. I feel like there should be a master list somewhere.
-Milk Jug Rings
-Hair Ties
-Plastic Easter Eggs
-Shoelaces
-Backscratchers
-Hands

Also try a plastic sewing tape measure. You can usually pull off the metal ends. I dont understand why, but i think it has something to do with the numbers but my cat loves it.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I am mildly concerned that newcat has buttworms

Help

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I am mildly concerned that newcat has buttworms

Help

Go to the vet? I haven't personally dealt with worms but I'm led to understand that de-worming is mostly just "get a pill, cat passes the worms, we're done here."

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

You know how when cats are really upset or threatened, all their fur stands on end? My cat does this when she's very happy. I looked it up and a few people said it might be over-stimulation, but I'm not usually touching her when this happens. For example, if I open a bag of spinach, or I am taking a bath, or during other events she seems to find pleasurable for some reason, her whole body poofs out and her tail gets very large. She's usually purring, and the rest of her body language seems good. If I go to touch her, it seems like she's very happy about this, but she also gets sort of nippy and then after, she starts having the crazies. So, it's plausible that she's overstimulated but I don't really know what I'm supposed to do. Anyone else seen this sort of thing?

Also, toychat: Receipts! I threw one for her the other day and she got so excited she cracked her face on a wall. She also loves the little eos lip balms, probably because they're expensive AND not for her. Foil is good, so are pens. She loses her marbles if you wave a pen about a foot over her head.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

Antivehicular posted:

Go to the vet? I haven't personally dealt with worms but I'm led to understand that de-worming is mostly just "get a pill, cat passes the worms, we're done here."

Depends what sort of worms. If it's tapeworms then that means the cat probably ate a flea and you need to kill any flea infestation. Also another dose of dewormer is needed in about 2-3 weeks to kill off any larvae that got missed by the dewormer and matured.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Fragrag posted:

Hey, it indeed was a URI! It was touch and go for a bit, she stopped eating for a day and the vet was a bit puzzled by why she suddenly stopped eating while she ate well while she was under his care. Turned out she developed an abscess in her throat, so she was only licking her food dry.

By chance, we had actually named her Chili, what a coincidence.

So Chili had recovered and was really healthy, but she's starting to sneeze more and regularly the past few days. Is it possible she relapsed and her URI is starting to return? Is there anything we can do to avoid her getting sicker? She's pretty much the same, eating healthily and stuff but her sneezing has us worried a lot. :(

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Fragrag posted:

So Chili had recovered and was really healthy, but she's starting to sneeze more and regularly the past few days. Is it possible she relapsed and her URI is starting to return? Is there anything we can do to avoid her getting sicker? She's pretty much the same, eating healthily and stuff but her sneezing has us worried a lot. :(

How long ago did you stop the antibiotics for the URI?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Our vet had injected antibiotics which according to him would have stopped working roughly a month ago.

She was teary eyed and very occasionally sneezing up to two weeks ago and it was always clear fluid coming out.

No other signs aside sneezing for now, no bodily fluids coming out aside the ones that should.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
Alright Cat FAQ Thread I have a slight dilemma that I will need to go into a little backstory so please forgive the long post.

Fourteen years ago I rescued three kittens on a rainy night from a storm drain under a loading dock at a mall in my hometown. Originally I didn't want these because I already had one and didn't want to take three more on. Long story short I couldn't get anyone to take them in and one was weak enough that I soon became papa nursing them back to health. The three became two when I moved and my mom wanted to keep one. The brother and sister named Khan and Sissy basically spent every minute of every day around each other since. Having their spats every now and again but they got along. Sissy has always been the talker and Khan the silent one.

Well a month ago Khan developed an upper respiratory infection and after a visit to the vet quickly went downhill. He responded to the meds but a week later had trouble breathing. After another trip to the vet the gave him an xray and has a darkness in his lungs and they diagnosed him with a lung infection. Now with more meds to give him I spent the weekend nursing my buddy but his breathing never seemed to improve and by Monday he had stopped eating. Another trip to the vet and another xray showed it getting worse. We transferred him to the 24 hour ER where they still had no idea what was wrong and to find out they were going to have to do about 4k in tests. On top of that they gave him a lung relaxer and had him in an oxygen cage and he hadn't improved in the two hours we had been there. I couldn't afford that and my wife and I had to make the difficult decision to let him go. As soon as he passed red fluid came out his nose and mouth and I realized my buddy had been basically drowning in fluid all weekend and that made me feel even worse.

So now I am left with his sister who has never been without her brother for 14 years and now has become extremely needy and attention hungry. My wife and I thought that we should get another pet to give her company but she has always hated other cats/dogs that come into her territory. One time I had a room mate move in with his cats and they never got a along and would scrap and she never really got used to them. We also have a large picture window and she often fights with the neighborhood cats through it. So really I don't know what to do. I know shes lonely but I don't know if she will adjust to another animal or just be a jerk to it forever. Also I don't want to stress her out to much and risk her getting sick and losing her because of her age.

So basically I'm in a Catch 22 she is lonely but doesn't like other animals, but I worry about her being lonely. Should I get another animal and give a good long shot or just let her live out her years without being bothered with another cat/dog.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Alright Cat FAQ Thread I have a slight dilemma that I will need to go into a little backstory so please forgive the long post.

Fourteen years ago I rescued three kittens on a rainy night from a storm drain under a loading dock at a mall in my hometown. Originally I didn't want these because I already had one and didn't want to take three more on. Long story short I couldn't get anyone to take them in and one was weak enough that I soon became papa nursing them back to health. The three became two when I moved and my mom wanted to keep one. The brother and sister named Khan and Sissy basically spent every minute of every day around each other since. Having their spats every now and again but they got along. Sissy has always been the talker and Khan the silent one.

Well a month ago Khan developed an upper respiratory infection and after a visit to the vet quickly went downhill. He responded to the meds but a week later had trouble breathing. After another trip to the vet the gave him an xray and has a darkness in his lungs and they diagnosed him with a lung infection. Now with more meds to give him I spent the weekend nursing my buddy but his breathing never seemed to improve and by Monday he had stopped eating. Another trip to the vet and another xray showed it getting worse. We transferred him to the 24 hour ER where they still had no idea what was wrong and to find out they were going to have to do about 4k in tests. On top of that they gave him a lung relaxer and had him in an oxygen cage and he hadn't improved in the two hours we had been there. I couldn't afford that and my wife and I had to make the difficult decision to let him go. As soon as he passed red fluid came out his nose and mouth and I realized my buddy had been basically drowning in fluid all weekend and that made me feel even worse.

So now I am left with his sister who has never been without her brother for 14 years and now has become extremely needy and attention hungry. My wife and I thought that we should get another pet to give her company but she has always hated other cats/dogs that come into her territory. One time I had a room mate move in with his cats and they never got a along and would scrap and she never really got used to them. We also have a large picture window and she often fights with the neighborhood cats through it. So really I don't know what to do. I know shes lonely but I don't know if she will adjust to another animal or just be a jerk to it forever. Also I don't want to stress her out to much and risk her getting sick and losing her because of her age.

So basically I'm in a Catch 22 she is lonely but doesn't like other animals, but I worry about her being lonely. Should I get another animal and give a good long shot or just let her live out her years without being bothered with another cat/dog.

:( I'm really sorry. If it helps, I found myself in a similar situation. I decided to get another cat, and it didn't work out well. Cat number one was pretty grumpy. My parents went through the same thing around the same time, and didn't "replace" the other cat. The remaining cat lived out the last year alone and she was a little clingy, but she got over it after a few months. They were both in their late teens when they passed.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
My 9 year old tortie Josie decided to push around a hot cookie sheet, and gave herself second degree burns on her right eyebrow, and nose.

So far the eyebrow has scabbed over, and no blistering, but her nose has a sizable blister, and the skin isn't broken.

No lethargy, no weird behavior, and it's been two days. I really don't want to take her to the vet, cause she would have to be sedated cause of her past behavior at the vet.

Wat do I do? Wait it out?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If it's not infected, leave it alone. If it bursts, dab it with some antiseptic.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

There could be lots of reasons your cat didn't get along with the roommates cats other than a general dislike for other cats. Also, the fighting through the window could just be standard cat posturing/behavior that they can never resolve because of the window, so that isn't necessarily a guarantee. Being 14 years old she could still have several good years ahead of her, and if she has been used to having other cats around her whole life she would probably be more comfortable with that. I would look around at local shelters and see if they have any older cats with a good temperament. You might have to find a no-kill shelter since those 8-10 year old cats have trouble getting adopted out and get transferred to no-kills from city shelters. If there seems to be a good candidate I'm sure they would work with you with some kind of temporary foster situation to see if the cats get along, and if they do get along you could go forward with the adoption.

Bina posted:

My 9 year old tortie Josie decided to push around a hot cookie sheet, and gave herself second degree burns on her right eyebrow, and nose.

So far the eyebrow has scabbed over, and no blistering, but her nose has a sizable blister, and the skin isn't broken.

No lethargy, no weird behavior, and it's been two days. I really don't want to take her to the vet, cause she would have to be sedated cause of her past behavior at the vet.

Wat do I do? Wait it out?

How does her eye look on that side? That would be the only thing I'd worry about. Like the other poster said if it doesn't look infected then just keep it clean, but if there seems to be any swelling or anything around the eye it might warrant a trip or at least pictures sent to the vet or something.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Last week my (fixed, indoor) cat escaped and disappeared for a few days. I did walking, flyers, social media, etc... but she reappeared outside my place on her own. She was very clean when we found her. No mud, no dirt, no scruffiness, no stink. My other cat didn't like her smell, though, and hissed at her for a couple days.

Where did she go? What could she have been doing?

Antivehicular posted:

There is also the "worms crawling out of anus" part :barf: My childhood cat was indoor-outdoor, but I'm not dealing with that again.

duckfarts posted:

Bandwidth caps on the webhost? v:confused:v Regardless, that's a weird thing to say.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ema Nymton posted:

Last week my (fixed, indoor) cat escaped and disappeared for a few days. I did walking, flyers, social media, etc... but she reappeared outside my place on her own. She was very clean when we found her. No mud, no dirt, no scruffiness, no stink. My other cat didn't like her smell, though, and hissed at her for a couple days.

Where did she go? What could she have been doing?

There is also the "worms crawling out of anus" part :barf: My childhood cat was indoor-outdoor, but I'm not dealing with that again.

Bandwidth caps on the webhost? v:confused:v Regardless, that's a weird thing to say.

Most of the time when cats go outside for the first time, they get overwhelmed by all the smells and sounds and get scared to death. Thus they go hide under a porch or bush or something for a couple days. Once they figure out they're not going to get eaten immediately, they make their way back home where food and warm and pets are.

Rarely they will take off running somewhere out of fear. Almost always when an indoor cat escapes outside, it holes up somewhere nearby and comes back in a day or two.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Oh god I'm getting ready to take her to the vet to get rid of her buttworms I'm going to die of gross.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Oh god I'm getting ready to take her to the vet to get rid of her buttworms I'm going to die of gross.

It won't take that long to get rid of them. My cat had tapeworms when he came home from the shelter, less than a week after taking him to the vet they were all gone. They're no danger to you as long as you don't eat your cat's poo poo.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
We're moving our cat litter to the garage to make room for incoming babies. Does anyone have any recommendations for a cat door that would be ok for an interior-to-garage door? (Door is made of condensed wood, fairly flimsy)

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My cat does not like cat doors and will almost never use them. I am pretty sure that if I put her litterbox on the other side of a cat door she'd just poo poo on the floor.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

We're moving our cat litter to the garage to make room for incoming babies. Does anyone have any recommendations for a cat door that would be ok for an interior-to-garage door? (Door is made of condensed wood, fairly flimsy)

Places like Home Depot or Lowe's will have numerous options. Get one with a door you can latch shut to keep it closed when you need to. They're not hard to install. They come with a template, so you just cut a hole in the door and slide in the cat door.

Our cats have needed some assistance to figure out how to use the door, but they eventually got used to it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

If possible get a clear plastic cat door so they can see what's outside before they step through it, otherwise put something they can hide in on the other side of it so they at least don't feel like they're stepping out into an unknown situation right in the open. Also, if it takes them a while to work it out it will be tempting to push their head through the door. Don't do that. Prop the door open for a while instead until they're going through the gap happily and then try leaving it closed until they work it out.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Thanks guys. I think I'll leave the little clear plastic door off for a day or two and see how they like it, then add it on and hope for the best. Luckily my cats are both super curious about everything so I think it will fascinate them :)

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Watch your cats for a few days while they get used to the flap. I always take the doors off covered litter boxes because some of them have gotten stuck in them.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I was very worried my cat wouldn't learn how to use the cat door and poo poo all over the house in protest, but he figured it out very quickly. And he's very stupid.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Counterpoint: out of three cats I've owned who've had to deal with cat doors, the very bright one learned immediately, the bright-but-no-initiative-one watched the bright one go in and out of the cat door for about three months or something but never thought to try it for herself until we actively showed her how it worked, and the much less bright one took about six weeks to make the mental leap between standing patiently in front of the cat door waiting for it to open and pushing forwards just a tiny bit with her head to make it open herself. To be fair she was something like 16 years old and had never had to deal with one before but still.

The first cat was very tiny and hated pushing with her head so she learned to push it open with her paws and then wedge it open with one paw in the corner of it while she went through the gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
One of our cats has grown fond of bringing us crickets through the cat door which is kind of adorable but also hey please don't bring crickets into the house thanks.