Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

qirex posted:

I'd love a Sonos app but it would probably just be for control and not play music itself which would not be super useful.

Actually yeah I hadn't thought of that but as a front end for google music/spotify or other services not on the atv it'd also be useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
it would still be useful, think house parties/dinner parties where you have a playlist on screen and guests can add music at will.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

HEY NONG MAN posted:

A $1,200 rig you say? Well poo poo.

I built it specifically for video editing too, so I really don't think the issue is with the PC. I would guess that it's because the PS4 doesn't do 5ghz wireless, but...I have it wired because of that. So I've really got no idea why the ATV is better other than it just being a better app. The Roku one works flawlessly too, so maybe the PS4 one just sucks.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??
Is anyone else having video quality issues with the YouTube app? None of the videos I play are streaming in HD. Viewing the same video on a chromecast streams just fine in HD. Am I missing a quality setting somewhere? It's a 4th gen Apple TV and it's currently wired in through ethernet. I've tried wifi as well with no change in result.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If you've got an router of recent origin, use wifi since the Ethernet port isn't gigabit.

No idea, though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I had an issue recently where youtube playback was really hitchy, with subtle pauses and it was just annoying to watch. Restarting the ATV from the menu fixed it.

Might have been a bad wifi channel or something.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??
Seems like changing DNS servers from my ISP to Google's DNS server fixed up the issue. Youtube videos still start out grainy but they eventually smooth out so I think it's pretty good.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Ok so now I'm watching a purchased movie straight from iTunes via ATV, and it's still interpolating frame rate. Before I was using AirPlay from my MBP & thought it might be an issue with how my computer was feeding the video. Nope. Driving me nuts. Arrrr.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lincoln posted:

Ok so now I'm watching a purchased movie straight from iTunes via ATV, and it's still interpolating frame rate. Before I was using AirPlay from my MBP & thought it might be an issue with how my computer was feeding the video. Nope. Driving me nuts. Arrrr.

You may have a bum unit, it does happen.

I'd say either take it into the Apple Store or call Apple.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
With movies/videos if I wanted to skip through parts I could just slide right on the remote and it would forward through to whatever spot I chose at anytime. Now it only works if I pause the video first, was this caused by the update or is my AppleTv being weird?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Noticed that myself tonight so must be the update. Seems to be a good idea because it's so easy to accidentally trigger that by mistake by picking up the remote.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
Yeah, that was changed in the latest update. You either have to pause like you said, or press the track pad before being able to scrub around.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

priznat posted:

I had an issue recently where youtube playback was really hitchy, with subtle pauses and it was just annoying to watch. Restarting the ATV from the menu fixed it.

Might have been a bad wifi channel or something.

The update broke my YouTube app, it drops frames like crazy. I have to restart the whole loving Apple TV every couple of hours to fix it. Netflix and other apps have no issues so I'm not sure what the gently caress is going on but it's making me want to use my fire tv exclusively if Apple TV is going to be an unreliable piece of crap.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Emby is now available.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-295-introducing-emby-for-apple-tv/

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Even comes with Siri search support. Nice.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Thwomp posted:

Even comes with Siri search support. Nice.

It has a search text box that you can use dictation with, the same as the dictation feature in every other text box since 9.2.

It does not support the universal search launch shortcut thing that launches the app and begins playing. While there's no guarantees, it seems that supporting that requires giving Apple a library listing of every piece of content on your service, which wouldn't work with these kinds of apps.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Ah well, I've got to get used to that distinction now.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is this J.A.P.?

(Just another plex?)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Dubstep Jesus posted:

I imagine people give even less of a poo poo about rating TV apps than phone apps, and usually the stuff that gets people to give enough of a poo poo is negative.

How do you even rate apps on the TV?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Feenix posted:

Is this J.A.P.?

(Just another plex?)

More or less, big difference being it can use locally stored metadata. So if your library is already organized with labels and art, it uses that. It also uses fanart in the AppleTV view modes, so there's that.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 5, 2016

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Any way to force a refresh of updates to my subscriptions in the YouTube app? Right now I'm force quitting and reopening the app so that it refreshes every morning.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's what I do too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mine seem to update without me force-quitting the app. I only check once a day but that seems to be working for me, at least.

Not realtime or anything, but I get new stuff every day.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I have to flip back and forth between the Home and Subscription categories a few times on occasion to get it to update.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thwomp posted:

I have to flip back and forth between the Home and Subscription categories a few times on occasion to get it to update.

Oh yeah I guess this is what I do too, now that I think about it.

Definitely don't need to force quit though.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
I used to only own an iPhone and iPad, but now that I've bought a Macbook Pro I decided to give AppleTV a whirl as well. I was using Chromecast from owning an Android phone before but my 5s doesn't play nice with it half the time, so being able to consistently send Spotify and podcasts to the TV without a 50/50 per cent chance of it not connecting is nice. I haven't used Plex before because I mainly stream television and movies but I just tried it out and it's pretty amazing how fast it works, so that's nice for the stuff that isn't available to stream.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

They reversed the swiping direction on the app switcher right? I know why they did it but it drives me crazy...

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

EngineerJoe posted:

They reversed the swiping direction on the app switcher right? I know why they did it but it drives me crazy...

Same.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm having an issue since the update where if I pause a video and the screensaver starts up, pressing play again doesn't do anything. I have to press menu first to get out of the screensaver then press play.

A minor issue, I know, but annoying nonetheless. Anyone else having this issue?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Speaking of issues, I'm finding that I have to reboot mine every 48-72 hours or Youtube and Plex get really choppy. Just force-quitting the app doesn't do it, and 100% of the time it's been perfectly fine after reboot. Not sure if that's a coincidence or not but it's somewhat annoying.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mahoning posted:

I'm having an issue since the update where if I pause a video and the screensaver starts up, pressing play again doesn't do anything. I have to press menu first to get out of the screensaver then press play.

A minor issue, I know, but annoying nonetheless. Anyone else having this issue?

It's always done that if I use my BT headphones to pause then unpause after then ss has kicked in. Haven't noticed the issue with the remote though.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

Martytoof posted:

Speaking of issues, I'm finding that I have to reboot mine every 48-72 hours or Youtube and Plex get really choppy. Just force-quitting the app doesn't do it, and 100% of the time it's been perfectly fine after reboot. Not sure if that's a coincidence or not but it's somewhat annoying.
I also have to do this about once a week or so. There's definitely some bugs that need to get worked out, and the state of the apps needs to improve as well.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The apps thing is solely on the devs, and they're historically lazy and unimaginative. It doesn't help that the system doesn't have the user base it needs to dedicate serious time to, but there's plenty of iPhone and iPad apps that should be way better than they are that plain suck.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

EngineerJoe posted:

Alright I thought this was just me not remembering right. loving drives me up the wall because I swear it used to operate the other way.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
So my ATV4 has been doing a fun thing, I assume since the last update, when I wake it out of sleep, every few seconds it like, puts itself back to sleep, LED on the front goes out, and the picture drops out, and then it comes back wherever it was when it happened, over and over until I pull the plug and reboot it manually.

Is this a thing thats happening or is my ATV hooped? I did a quick google search and nothing came up except stuff from 2011

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Mines been fine so far.

Martytoof posted:

I don't have this issue either.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I noticed this the other day with Youtube. If I play a large # of videos in a row, suddenly they get super choppy. Restarting always fixes. Haven't noticed it with Plex though.

Pretty sure this hasn't always been the case, so it must be a software update that's causing it?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

tonic posted:

I noticed this the other day with Youtube. If I play a large # of videos in a row, suddenly they get super choppy. Restarting always fixes. Haven't noticed it with Plex though.

Pretty sure this hasn't always been the case, so it must be a software update that's causing it?

I haven't noticed any other app doing it ( I don't have plex so can't test it) but yeah as soon as the voice dictation search update came out YouTube just shits itself every couple of hours after watching lots of videos. Just totally unwatchable audio isn't synced and maybe five frames a second. Now my ritual for this $150 machine is to hold the screen and menu button to force reset it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is there a way to un-pair or prevent my iMacs silver remote from controlling the Apple TV? I use the silver remote to control the music/volume but it always turns on my Apple TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

coolskillrex remix posted:

I haven't noticed any other app doing it ( I don't have plex so can't test it) but yeah as soon as the voice dictation search update came out YouTube just shits itself every couple of hours after watching lots of videos. Just totally unwatchable audio isn't synced and maybe five frames a second. Now my ritual for this $150 machine is to hold the screen and menu button to force reset it.

Thanks for the tip on the force reset, I've been going through the menu system which takes FOREVER.

Google definitely needs to fix their YouTube app.