Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

You ever seen a grown man naked?

Listen kid, tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

It closes valves in the firewall, cutting off fuel, and depending on the set-up, oil and hydraulic fluid, and shuts down the engine. If you don't also blow the fire extinguisher bottle, they can probably restart it in the air.

(Also, your bitch rear end gets beaten to death by irate flight crew.)

A-10 Attack! lied to me. You could pull the handles and keep flying. :saddowns:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I am still so mad that the Origin Systems Jane's A-10 game was canceled

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

A-10 Attack! lied to me. You could pull the handles and keep flying. :saddowns:

Well, for a while you can. Depending on your weight, the KC-135 will keep trucking with an engine or two shut down, and you can get surprisingly far on only one.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I've flown for nearly 2.5 hours on a 3-engine jet. It's no big deal. Now on two engines? Yea I'm gonna be spooked a bit.

There's this famous mishap where a passenger 747 flew through volcanic ash. All four engines seized up. Somehow the crew managed to restart a few of them to not, you know, die.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

I've flown for nearly 2.5 hours on a 3-engine jet. It's no big deal. Now on two engines? Yea I'm gonna be spooked a bit.

There's this famous mishap where a passenger 747 flew through volcanic ash. All four engines seized up. Somehow the crew managed to restart a few of them to not, you know, die.

I imagine that very few things in life motivate a person to find solutions quite like, "You have 39,000 feet to solve this problem."

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Dead Reckoning posted:

I imagine that very few things in life motivate a person to find solutions quite like, "You have 39,000 feet to solve this problem."

At that point the book goes out the window.

During a sim session a particularly cruel L-3 instructor gave us the syllabus for the session with an added unknown bonus of contaminated fuel.

That inevitable takeoff and scramble to crash land was real fun.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

My aviation experience tells me that you should probably motor the engine and then try to restart until it starts. Educated guess.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
If you've voluntarily turned off an engine or two in flight, you probably had a pretty compelling reason to do so, and you're going to need an equally compelling reason to turn in back on.

At that point the book goes out the window.

The tightest my rear end in a top hat has ever puckered was the time we couldn't locate where the smell of burning electronics in the cockpit was coming from.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What was the -135's equipment cooling like? On the AWACS, identifying burning gear or sources of fire was near impossible without visibly seeing the object smolder or smoke. The forced air cooling systems manifold was so utterly complicated and unruly that smells traveled in unpredictable paths.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

What was the -135's equipment cooling like? On the AWACS, identifying burning gear or sources of fire was near impossible without visibly seeing the object smolder or smoke. The forced air cooling systems manifold was so utterly complicated and unruly that smells traveled in unpredictable paths.

We had a chopper scrub a flight a few minutes in because it reeked of fuel.

Turns out the pilot had soaked his boots in fuel somehow without realizing

Marine Corps!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Smegma fi

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Booblord Zagats posted:

We had a chopper scrub a flight a few minutes in because it reeked of fuel.

Turns out the pilot had soaked his boots in fuel somehow without realizing

Marine Corps!

Aren't choppers generally bleeding all sorts of POL during flight anyways? Thought there would always be a smell.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

We had a lot less equipment than you guys, so it was pretty basic. We had most of the electronics in a cabinet attached to the starboard side of the cockpit bulkhead, cooled by a fan. Some of the radios & whatnot had their boxes in the lower nose gear compartment. I think the displays and processors had smaller fans or heat sinks integrated into the LRUs. Heat soaking could be an issue on the ground at high temps, but was rarely a show-stopper.

During that emergency, we knew it was coming from inside the cockpit, because it got stronger near the roof, but it definitely wasn't coming from the air mixer return vent in the ceiling over the cockpit door. That occasionally would generate a burning smell due to parts of the air mixer rubbing together, but this had the particular tang of electrical equipment burning itself up. In the end, I was able to locate the source by feeling for hot spots, and we got it isolated and the breaker pulled right before the pilot was going to request an emergency landing at KAF. It was the motor on the Navigator's fan.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Mustang posted:

What the gently caress is with some people on facebook that post nothing but pictures of people/babies with deformities, illnesses, missing limbs and poo poo and "like, share, and say AMEN!"?

The religious, small town southerners from my families hometown eat that poo poo up.

lol been meaning to post about this poo poo

"This baby was born with no limbs. Type amen for blessings, ignore if you have no heart 😒"

Unsurprisingly the only ones doing that poo poo are the ones I know via the Mil.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Dead Reckoning posted:

We had a lot less equipment than you guys, so it was pretty basic. We had most of the electronics in a cabinet attached to the starboard side of the cockpit bulkhead, cooled by a fan. Some of the radios & whatnot had their boxes in the lower nose gear compartment. I think the displays and processors had smaller fans or heat sinks integrated into the LRUs. Heat soaking could be an issue on the ground at high temps, but was rarely a show-stopper.

During that emergency, we knew it was coming from inside the cockpit, because it got stronger near the roof, but it definitely wasn't coming from the air mixer return vent in the ceiling over the cockpit door. That occasionally would generate a burning smell due to parts of the air mixer rubbing together, but this had the particular tang of electrical equipment burning itself up. In the end, I was able to locate the source by feeling for hot spots, and we got it isolated and the breaker pulled right before the pilot was going to request an emergency landing at KAF. It was the motor on the Navigator's fan.

LOL

I had an in-flight emergency right after takeoff. We were making our climb over Goose Bay near Elmendorf in very heavy cloud cover. That particular day was a rainy, freezing mess and here we are with an IFE on our hands and in IFR conditions to boot. Perfect time for me to notice and call out the cabin wasn't pressurizing. Pilot gets on the radios, makes the appropriate calls for ATC to direct us to a holding pattern away from traffic.

I'm scanning the panel for any other indications. I mean I'm not seeing poo poo. It's a goddamn mystery to me. About 20 seconds later, the problem was resolved. Some loving idiot forgot to engage the primary flow control valve prior to wheels up.

that idiot was me

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Aren't choppers generally bleeding all sorts of POL during flight anyways? Thought there would always be a smell.

Yeah but it's a mix of hydraulic, JP and farts. When one gets stronger than the others people can notice

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

lol been meaning to post about this poo poo

"This baby was born with no limbs. Type amen for blessings, ignore if you have no heart 😒"

Unsurprisingly the only ones doing that poo poo are the ones I know via the Mil.

I have seen mil people bitch and complain about the 15$/hour min wage raise and how much more money a fast food worker is making compared to a marine E1. Also advocating for 2 year conscription. LMAO

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I made the mistake a few weeks ago to accept the EA that I work with sometimes on my linkedin. He's a cool enough dude, was mil for like 24 years or something but was really just a chill guy and a pretty good EA. I figured why not.

Dude has non-loving-stop pictures with bible verses w/ patriotic overlays and poo poo posted to his network. God loving damnit.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

And gun control and Trump

Everyone else I'm friends with (non-mil) is a chiller but drat if the mil dudes ain't vehement on those topics in addition to the ones you mentioned

You transitioned from sucking moms tit straight to the Mil out of High School the gently caress do you know about a regular job or making minimum wage?

Then they try to do some math. "Well see there's 24 hours in a day and 7 days in a week and gasp we only end up making $1.50 an hour!"

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 6, 2016

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Then they try to do some math. "Well see there's 24 hours in a day and 7 days in a week and gasp we only end up making $1.50 an hour!"

That poo poo only works when you're loving with one of those :smuggo: "You're a soldier 24/7 HOOAH!" retards who somehow inexplicably manages to avoid looking like your avatar every time they open their mouth.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ElMaligno posted:

Also advocating for 2 year conscription. LMAO

I love to troll the poo poo out of these dudes. Like really? The Mil is bad enough as is and now you want a bunch of sad sacks that are forced into it? Less and less countries are doing it and even then there's a longer (9 months as compared to 6) civil service option last I heard, at least in Austria. Germany stopped doing it a while ago too

So aside from Israel, North/South Korea, and I guess maybe some Scandinavian countries and probably a few more I can't be bothered to google. Even then you just work as border security or disaster response or some poo poo

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 6, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Three of my last 5 E-3 flights ended with only three engines. The other two had landing gear problems. Yep, rounded out my career with 5 consecutive IFEs. :lol: :tinker:

Edit:

I'll never forget my only time being runner. We circled at the loving midpoint between Peru and Oklahoma, which is over the Pacific, for almost an hour while techs scoured the aft lower lobe searching for a trace of the smoke and fumes that we all noticed but disappeared. I had my flight suit halfway open and in all the bottle-refilling shenanigans the zipper inched its way down and I'm pretty sure a SrA got a look at my junk. They never found the source, so we dead-headed home.

VVV I had a pretty good record up until that point. That was the same timeframe as the landing gear collapse at Tinker (the one with no fire, thanks to rain), so I was kind of concerned with the landing gear IFEs.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 6, 2016

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Jesus dude you're a loving bad omen

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I love to troll the poo poo out of these dudes. Like really? The Mil is bad enough as is and now you want a bunch of sad sacks that are forced into it?
If you want to hang all nobles, making them ride herd on a bunch of tumblr kids, furries, and inbreds who don't want to be there is a great way to convince them to do it themselves.

I was honestly pretty sure we were going to die until I figured out it was the fan burning itself up. If it had been inside one of the ducts or consoles, it would have been a race to see if we could find it and extinguish it before it got out of control, or get on the ground fast enough. Fire in the cockpit or the fuselage were the things that I lost sleep over.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The Rivet Joint fire last year is one of the more terrifying incidents I've read about. A fire inside the fuselage that's being fed by a loving broken O2 line. :stare:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Historically, an aircrew has 15 minutes to detect, find, and extinguish a fire before the odds of survival are astronomic.

Yea, a fire in-flight is no loving joke. I'd rather lose an engine, belly up land, and lose all electrical before a fire.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

I have seen mil people bitch and complain about the 15$/hour min wage raise and how much more money a fast food worker is making compared to a marine E1. Also advocating for 2 year conscription. LMAO

you should tell em e1s make the same amount regardless of their branch :ssh:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Fighting because I'll go to jail if I dont, getting 11 bucks an hour and banking on my self perceived right to tell everyone to suck my dick when someone hasn't thanked for my service in the last 12 seconds.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Just finished the episode of the OJ drama with the racism tapes. God drat the contempt scene was amazing.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Just finished the episode of the OJ drama with the racism tapes. God drat the contempt scene was amazing.

the whole series has been really goddamn great

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the whole series has been really goddamn great

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Last episode in 30 minutes. Should be great.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

seriously watch oj

nathan lane as f lee bailey is great

travolta's george shapiro is horrible hilarious

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Last episode in 30 minutes. Should be great.

i gotta wait till Friday to watch w/ the wife

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Vance totally kills it as Cochran.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I started yesterday and while I'm having trouble buying Travolta's role, it's incredible so far.

The viewing scene in the funeral home...:stare:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

travolta said he is 100% doing this for fun and it shows, therefore its cool

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i think he produced it too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

He's definitely having fun with it. Every time he portrays Shapiro as being indignant over losing control over "his" team it's hilarious.

Also the one scene with Lane and Travolta sitting side by side in leather chairs by the fire was hilarious for the implications. John "I'm not gay but I'm totally gay" Travolta alone and side by side with one of the gayest actors out there having a friendly exchange.

• Locked thread