Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mbt
Aug 13, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Me and the boyfriend started this up again and have been playing together, just got to the start of Act 3 last night. He's running an elemental witch and I'm running a physical ranger.

I can't seem to pick a set of skills and stick with them though. There seems to be a lot of good options for bows. Right now I've been running Lightning Arrow with Increased Attack Speed & Increased Critical Strikes as my main thing along with Frenzy for singletarget and to build up buff stacks, Blood Rage because being a bowzerker is cool, and Herald of Ash for even more fire damage because I have Blackgleam (donated by the boyfriend since he had it sitting around as a reward from when he did a race awhile back). Suggestions for any skills to look for that will be useful or just fun to use would be cool.

physical bow? tornado shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

The Real Foogla posted:

I was wondering how this low life ES based guy did the lab https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/4ddcrz/solo_guardian_vs_twinned_t15_phc_i_am_not_your/

And then I see his defenses :stare:

I kinda wonder what the hell he leveled as and when he switched over. But yeah, his defenses are nuts.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Last night for fun I decided to try Atziri for the first time, blind, on my CoC Barrage character.

I actually got through the trio without dying, which surprised me! I made one big mistake, though, and that was not switching out Spark for something else like Arctic Breath. Pretty sure that alone killed me twice on the reflect. Ended up just short of killing the second set of clones.

It's a fun fight! I ought to try it again once I'm less deplorably squishy. (I really desperately need to stop going full glass cannon all the time - this character in particular is using way too many uniques -- Drillneck, Quill Rain, still using a Tabula, and Blood Dance and Rat's Nest to top it off. I still haven't even capped my cold res, don't think I have any chaos res, and I'm sitting just shy of 4k life. I am dumb and bad...and I want to switch in Shadows and Dust for my trires+life gloves too :unsmigghh:)

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Me and the boyfriend started this up again and have been playing together, just got to the start of Act 3 last night. He's running an elemental witch and I'm running a physical ranger.

I can't seem to pick a set of skills and stick with them though. There seems to be a lot of good options for bows. Right now I've been running Lightning Arrow with Increased Attack Speed & Increased Critical Strikes as my main thing along with Frenzy for singletarget and to build up buff stacks, Blood Rage because being a bowzerker is cool, and Herald of Ash for even more fire damage because I have Blackgleam (donated by the boyfriend since he had it sitting around as a reward from when he did a race awhile back). Suggestions for any skills to look for that will be useful or just fun to use would be cool.

For physical ranger, you might want to take a look at NeverSink's Tornado Shot Ranger guide My ranger's now at 87 and it's been pretty fun! If you don't want to follow all the parts of his guide, at least look at his skill links, they should give you an idea of what skills to get.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The thing about crit bow attack builds is that they are mostly interchangable with one another. Whether physical, elemental, or chaos, all these builds path in similar ways and beeline similar notables. Find the skill that suits you best.

Tornado shot: king of flexibility, capable of both single target and pack clearing. Works well with pierce.

Ice shot: decent clearspeed, mediocre single target. Fairly safe, because the attack leaves chilled ground to slow enemies. Also works well with pierce.

Lightning arrow: king of pack clears. However, it's very gem link hungry, you need greater multiple projectiles and chain in the setup. Once it's up and running, maps simply disappear. Awful single target, need something else to fill in this gap.

Split arrow: excellent pack clears, not quite as good as lightning arrow for big packs, but better against small packs. Again, needs chain.

Blast rain: king of single target. Has the highest damage effectiveness against single mobs. Excellent for filling in your weakness if you're running lightning arrow.

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006
So I found a Mjolnir and I have absolutely no idea what to do with it. What cool new things can I build now that I have this expensive thing?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

NightfallGemini posted:

So I found a Mjolnir and I have absolutely no idea what to do with it. What cool new things can I build now that I have this expensive thing?

You can do a discharge build but it won't be great until you get a volls which is quite expensive (16-20ex range). That mace isn't expensive anymore, like 45c-1ex.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

You can do a discharge build but it won't be great until you get a volls which is quite expensive (16-20ex range). That mace isn't expensive anymore, like 45c-1ex.

Can't you just use the Hierophant node Conviction of Power and a Romira's to generate power charges instead of Volls if you want to do it on a budget

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

YoshiOfYellow posted:

tornado shot is fun.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

NightfallGemini posted:

idea: Scion Berserker + Deadeye

offhand prismatic eclipse (triple green)
RT
groundslam-multi attack-faster attack-bloodmagic for packs
Moltenstrike-multi attack-faster attack-bloodmagic for Bosses
skill into AoE, attack speed, Life, STR and INT, spell/lightning damage

three ball lightnings in the hammer :black101:

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

NightfallGemini posted:

Sadly, Mjolner really isn't expensive anymore, like 30c(1.5-2ex unid), as it has not kept up with how powerful other builds have gotten. You can play around with it for fun, but the leveling process for Mjolner builds kinda sucks due to the stat requirements. It isn't as strong end game as other builds with a similar budget, CoC has a very similar playstyle and is almost always the better choice in terms of raw power.

If you really want to play Mjolner though it's certainly still playable, just not the powerhouse it was in the past.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
That sounds hilarious. Use sunder instead of groundslam for n^2 hits though.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

lurksion posted:

oh yeah that sounds cool too

you can reserve all your mana for wrath, herald of thunder and arctic armor?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Okay, I'm playing a dumb gimmick now and it's incredible. My profile here.

Seriously I'm lvl 55 in the middle of Merc and I hit for 12000 top end lightning damage with every swing, over 20k top end with the aftershock. I don't plan to get much more damage nodes but plan to eventually run some way to get Frenzy charges and will try to be taking advantage of +30% damage jewel sockets. This is my final planned tree, though after looking at it with some consideration it might be worth dropping the whole Witch section to go down towards Duelist for leech and life.

Actually this seems optimal, if a bit lacking on Int. The mana reservation nodes are a little questionable and it would require a lot of int on gear, but this does give enough life regen to use Blood Rage without losing life. Arguable if that's worth it over not needing int on gear and getting 15% AoE from the Witch nodes. I THINK that if I got some mana reservation reduction I would use Herald of Ice + Herald of Thunder + Wrath, but it's debatable if that's better than Wrath + Anger and finding a different way to apply Enfeeble. This setup likely gets enough attack speed from Frenzy charges and gear that I can drop Faster Attacks for Increased AoE.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Ultima66 posted:

Okay, I'm playing a dumb gimmick now and it's incredible. My profile here.

Seriously I'm lvl 55 in the middle of Merc and I hit for 12000 top end lightning damage with every swing, over 20k top end with the aftershock. I don't plan to get much more damage nodes but plan to eventually run some way to get Frenzy charges and will try to be taking advantage of +30% damage jewel sockets. This is my final planned tree, though after looking at it with some consideration it might be worth dropping the whole Witch section to go down towards Duelist for leech and life.

Actually this seems optimal, if a bit lacking on Int. The mana reservation nodes are a little questionable and it would require a lot of int on gear, but this does give enough life regen to use Blood Rage without losing life. Arguable if that's worth it over not needing int on gear and getting 15% AoE from the Witch nodes. I THINK that if I got some mana reservation reduction I would use Herald of Ice + Herald of Thunder + Wrath, but it's debatable if that's better than Wrath + Anger and finding a different way to apply Enfeeble. This setup likely gets enough attack speed from Frenzy charges and gear that I can drop Faster Attacks for Increased AoE.

How do you avoid gibbing yourself on reflect mobs?

Elerion fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 5, 2016

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Cool, got a few skills to look out for and experiment further with then. Thanks for the tips. Another question though, I've read that because of how damage conversion works it can actually be beneficial even for a physical character to slap a bunch of it on. Basically, from what I understand converted damage benefits from buffs both to the new damage type (ie fire/elemental buffs) and the original damage type it was converted from (ie physical) Is this true? And if so that does make Herald of Ash a good choice of a passive buff since it's doing that whole conversion thing.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Elerion posted:

How do you avoid gibbing yourself on reflect mobs?

Armor, dodge%, capped resists, and don't just YOLO reflect packs? It's easier to not die to reflect than it ever has been.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Which build would be more viable with low to medium end gear while I get rich (lol) to run, Ice Nova or Arctic Blast? Thinking of dropping EK before I blow 30 spare points since the forum builds need things lie blood magic, no life (w/e that gives a bonus for) and stuff like Shav's.

Would someone be kind enough to drop a level 1 spell echo into the guild stash please? Just hit Act 4 but am able to use it (level 38). Be nice to use one now instead of waiting till end of act 4. I can pay whatever the vendor cost of it is.

theshim
May 1, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Cool, got a few skills to look out for and experiment further with then. Thanks for the tips. Another question though, I've read that because of how damage conversion works it can actually be beneficial even for a physical character to slap a bunch of it on. Basically, from what I understand converted damage benefits from buffs both to the new damage type (ie fire/elemental buffs) and the original damage type it was converted from (ie physical) Is this true? And if so that does make Herald of Ash a good choice of a passive buff since it's doing that whole conversion thing.
Herald of Ash actually doesn't convert the damage but gives you a percentage of your phys damage as extra fire damage, meaning that it's a straight damage boost. This is why nearly every physical build will run HoA and Hatred (an aura that gives you a larger percentage of extra cold damage) unless defensive or Blasphemy setups are more important.

Most things that convert damage types are beneficial - things like the Phys to Lightning skill gem, which give extra damage in addition to conversion - and it's true that double-dipping occurs. Some of the most powerful builds rely on leveraging the extra scaling on double-dipping to end up with ludicrously high numbers. It's worth noting that enemies with certain resistances may take less damage in some conversion cases, though usually not enough that it makes a difference. There's also a few builds that rely on 100% chaos conversion (using either the Voltaxic Rift bow or two Consuming Dark daggers) to avoid things like reflect, but that's way down the line, so don't worry too much about it.

It's worth reading the wiki page on damage conversion: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Damage_conversion

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009

Tai posted:

Which build would be more viable with low to medium end gear while I get rich (lol) to run, Ice Nova or Arctic Blast? Thinking of dropping EK before I blow 30 spare points since the forum builds need things lie blood magic, no life (w/e that gives a bonus for) and stuff like Shav's.

Would someone be kind enough to drop a level 1 spell echo into the guild stash please? Just hit Act 4 but am able to use it (level 38). Be nice to use one now instead of waiting till end of act 4. I can pay whatever the vendor cost of it is.

I'd be surprised if EK couldn't be run effectively as a life / mana based build (I've definitely run it in the last couple of leagues without issue into yellow tier maps). The skill shouldn't need exalts worth of gear to run effectively, though pretty much any skill is going to require that kind of gear to really max out damage like some of the forum builds do.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

Armor, dodge%, capped resists, and don't just YOLO reflect packs? It's easier to not die to reflect than it ever has been.

I was specifically asking Ultima66. Should have made that clearer, sorry. Armor and dodge% does very little to prevent one-shot gibs when the hits coming are absurdly big. That seems to be the entire point of his build - to create the biggest attack crits known to man.

For comparison's sake - Flameblast builds without chaos conversion usually have to run several +max resistance items (Purity of Fire and Ruby Flasks etc), just to avoid one-shotting themselves on reflect. His build has no similar protection as far as I can see.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

PSA if you are buying a Seven-League step to level an alt, make sure it doesn't have an enchant on it!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

theshim posted:

Herald of Ash actually doesn't convert the damage but gives you a percentage of your phys damage as extra fire damage, meaning that it's a straight damage boost. This is why nearly every physical build will run HoA and Hatred (an aura that gives you a larger percentage of extra cold damage) unless defensive or Blasphemy setups are more important.

Most things that convert damage types are beneficial - things like the Phys to Lightning skill gem, which give extra damage in addition to conversion - and it's true that double-dipping occurs. Some of the most powerful builds rely on leveraging the extra scaling on double-dipping to end up with ludicrously high numbers. It's worth noting that enemies with certain resistances may take less damage in some conversion cases, though usually not enough that it makes a difference. There's also a few builds that rely on 100% chaos conversion (using either the Voltaxic Rift bow or two Consuming Dark daggers) to avoid things like reflect, but that's way down the line, so don't worry too much about it.

It's worth reading the wiki page on damage conversion: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Damage_conversion

Sweet, thanks. So I was pretty much on the right path with my thought process. Things have been going ridiculously smooth so far though so either Normal is just scaled really hilariously low or we're building very correctly. Looking forward to getting down this rabbit hole to find another rabbit hole.

theshim
May 1, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Sweet, thanks. So I was pretty much on the right path with my thought process. Things have been going ridiculously smooth so far though so either Normal is just scaled really hilariously low or we're building very correctly. Looking forward to getting down this rabbit hole to find another rabbit hole.
The first couple acts are simple and pretty easy, even on Cruel and Merciless. It's always such a nice feeling getting out of the oversaturated reds of act 4 back into act 1, it's relaxing :buddy:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Midway through Cruel is when bad builds start to get exposed.

Unless you're following a build guide to the T, your first build will undoubtedly suck. But you'll learn why and do better next time. And have loot to make leveling faster. Repeat process until god.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Elerion posted:

I was specifically asking Ultima66. Should have made that clearer, sorry. Armor and dodge% does very little to prevent one-shot gibs when the hits coming are absurdly big. That seems to be the entire point of his build - to create the biggest attack crits known to man.

For comparison's sake - Flameblast builds without chaos conversion usually have to run several +max resistance items (Purity of Fire and Ruby Flasks etc), just to avoid one-shotting themselves on reflect. His build has no similar protection as far as I can see.

I'll mitigate reflect the same way anything else does now since all reflect is pretty much just on individual rares. If you avoid Elemental Reflect maps, which most elemental builds that don't completely mitigate reflect tend to do in the first place, I don't think the amount of damage I'd have to do to oneshot myself is more than how much damage I think I can do with the build anyways.

Basically 6000 life, 81% lightning res means I have to be taking 31500 lightning damage to oneshot myself. With a 20% reflect rare, that means I have to hit the monster with 157000 lightning damage at once to actually die to it. I have been planning on buying Atziri gloves and Skyforth this league so I can have them on standard, and this is probably a good place to use Atziri gloves, so I'll have instant leech meaning if I don't oneshot myself I shouldn't actually dip in health to reflect while attacking a pack. Also, if I run Warlord's Mark Blasphemy or just a Life Leech gem for reflect maps and have instant leech, I'll be leeching 4% of the damage I do, meaning I break even with 16% or less ele reflect leech on the map, or whenever I use a Topaz flask. I would still not do these maps because it means I effectively have 0 life leech and reflect rares will kill me. Obviously if I'm just hitting a lone reflect monster all bets are off the table.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
I've been wondering this for a while: How do phys wand builds work? Do you need to use specific gems to convert the damage to elemental, or do you use specific skills which take advantage of phys damage?

Was looking at possibly starting a Kinetic Blast build, and there seems to be some debate about whether to use phys for that which is hard to understand without getting the underlying concept.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

lurksion posted:

I just realized why I didn't pick sunder: it alternates weapons, groundslam always uses the main hand (I also wonder if the sunder waves count as hits for the hammer itself)

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

soscannonballs posted:

PSA if you are buying a Seven-League step to level an alt, make sure it doesn't have an enchant on it!

Why? It still has the move speed.

e: nevermind, I'm an idiot; the required level of the enchant

Magus42 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 5, 2016

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Requires level 52.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

RossCo posted:

I've been wondering this for a while: How do phys wand builds work? Do you need to use specific gems to convert the damage to elemental, or do you use specific skills which take advantage of phys damage?

Was looking at possibly starting a Kinetic Blast build, and there seems to be some debate about whether to use phys for that which is hard to understand without getting the underlying concept.

Think of the difference between ele/phys Wand builds similarly to the difference to ele/phys bow builds. Only you change the weapon and skill gem.

The problem lies in that it's dramatically easier to get a wand that will scale for an ele build than it is to get a phys scaled wand. This is because wands have tons of extra mods in their pool suited for casters unlike bows.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

The Real Foogla posted:

I just realized why I didn't pick sunder: it alternates weapons, groundslam always uses the main hand (I also wonder if the sunder waves count as hits for the hammer itself)

Sunder is axe/mace/staff only, it will still work. You just won't ever hit with the prismatic eclipse. Ground Slam works exactly the same way

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009

RossCo posted:

For mine a good phys damage wander still boosts their DPS with elemental boosts, it's just that they grab hatred and herald of ash for ele scaling, there's also a few nodes that further scale phys DPS into ele dmg; Tempest Blast for 30% of phys added as lightning as well as another couple of nodes that give 10% phys added as fire and 10% phys added as cold, these really help boost up a phys damage wander's DPS.

An ele wander scales their damage with added flat ele dmg, such as anger, wrath, herald of ice and herald of thunder. You generally aim for as much attack speed and + raw ele dmg and + weapon ele dmg modifiers as you can get on your gear.

I've always played wanders as crit based, which is very expensive for phys wanders, because as climboutonalimb mentioned, getting all of the phys rolls + increased crit chance on a wand can be quite rare due to the pool of mods available. In contrast an ele wander can make do solely with a crit / attack speed wand, also piscator's vigil is really cheap and a pretty effective lvl 65 wand for an ele wander that scales really well with additional auras and + ele dmg on gear.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
All this talk of wanders made me feel like playing one, but I can't because the name NotAllWhoWandAreLost is taken :(

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

YoshiOfYellow posted:

If you are on standard, I have a good bow for you to use when you hit lvl 69. I followed nevershots TS ranger guide and this thing boosted my damage by a significant amount.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So I've rolled up a very decent buzzsaw before it got nerfed. Switch over to a nice cyclone duel wield with that character. With this league, I'm looking to do either melee or mid range (ST, earthquake etc) that's easy to gear and get off the ground and eventually turn my character into a super badass with better gear

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

what would you say the average # of jews to 6s something is?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Awesome! posted:

what would you say the average # of jews to 6s something is?

At least 6 million.

Vorici is 325 or something so usually before that. I tend to get it within the first 100-200 but I've also gone over 400 once. It's basically not something I would force and I'm someone who has forced 2 6 links now.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ok i got one in like 250 yesterday and was just curious if that was as terrible as it felt or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

~200 is the expected amount.

• Locked thread