Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Every single planet in the universe is millions upon millions of miles behind the moon from where we're standing. How on Earth would any of them turn it green?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Green moon on 4/20, only happens every 420 years? Someone is having a fun joke.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

SpacePig posted:

I guess I should've said "at least one goon will always defend anything", sorry.

No worries. I figured you'd at least one up me by replying "And goons will always be pedantic about generalities in posts." :) But yea, there's always one dude in every thread that will play apologist no matter how terrible the topic. I like to call it The Ephebophile Phenomenon.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I see your Green Moon IOSM and raise you this, shared by my aunt (e. "Candice Night" is the name of a band or some loving page, not of a person)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
#notallgoons.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

SpacePig posted:

Does SA count as social media? Because I can't believe this is happening in the Schadenfreude Thread. Gorilla Salad posts about how "slavery wasn't really that bad" used be be actually taught in textbooks:

1. You don't have to work. The government will enslave others to fund your laziness.

2. Slaves actually received more of their productivity. You had to spend 90% of a slave's productivity on feeding, clothing, medicining, sheltering and educating them. Therefore, they were "taxed" at about 10%. Today, the government steals over half your productivity.

3. The fact of finite resources is not slavery. A caveman is "forced" to close between hunting or dying of starvation, but is not a slave. Slavery specifically refers to the forcible transferral of wealth from one human to another.

Taxation is slavery.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Karma Monkey posted:

No worries. I figured you'd at least one up me by replying "And goons will always be pedantic about generalities in posts." :) But yea, there's always one dude in every thread that will play apologist no matter how terrible the topic. I like to call it The Ephebophile Phenomenon.

An Ephebophenomenon, if you will.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Your Computer posted:

An Ephebophenomenon, if you will.

Goddammit you just had to one up me. :argh:

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Green moon on 4/20, only happens every 420 years? Someone is having a fun joke.

It is also bi.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

CommonShore posted:

I see your Green Moon IOSM and raise you this, shared by my aunt (e. "Candice Night" is the name of a band or some loving page, not of a person)

If only Nick Drake could have lived to see this :smith:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Black is pretty stereotypical in terms of his posts. Then out of left field red happens. IIRC red served with black.

I never call out black for his terrible posts because the only response would be "I served you didn't I'm better than you" so it was interesting seeing a fellow vet do it.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Bae is pretty dumb whether you're white black or a chinese
Haha, yes, those good old dumb black people with their dumb words that get picked up by dumb white people. Why can't they just talk real American?

It's sorta interesting how this poo poo gets picked up so late though, just like with fam.

Aramek posted:

I bet some of those Icelanders have uggo haircuts too.
Can confirm this, own hair boring and one of the ladies I know at the protests has that hideous fake blue hair going on. Didn't spot any white-dreadlocks folks though, so there are small mercies.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Haha, yes, those good old dumb black people with their dumb words that get picked up by dumb white people. Why can't they just talk real American?

Why did you leave out the Chinese, are you racist?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Of course feminists are racist.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

:ughh:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

CommonShore posted:

Fools. You can enjoy the regular moon.

Also: This is my official request to cut out the "bae" slapfight.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

cash crab posted:

Also: This is my official request to cut out the "bae" slapfight.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

You can't just say something is viral. That's not how it works.

BLM: A for-profit organization.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Black is pretty stereotypical in terms of his posts. Then out of left field red happens. IIRC red served with black.

I never call out black for his terrible posts because the only response would be "I served you didn't I'm better than you" so it was interesting seeing a fellow vet do it.

Wait when did that happen? Didn't Obama once "get in trouble" for doing a half hearted salute with a coffee cup in his hand or something?

The President is the highest in the military, he doesn't have to salute poo poo if he doesn't want to.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Conservodad shared a grainy picture of a white haired man in glasses bearing a resemblance to Senator Bernie Sanders driving an expensive sports car, with a caption suggesting he was an Audi loving hypocrite.

How else could I reply but "BTTF reboot lookin good"

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

God damned communists :commissar:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

SpacePig posted:

I guess I should've said "at least one goon will always defend anything", sorry.

Just like... the general population?

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Elfgames posted:

if you or your partner are over 35 you cant use bae, sorry you're too old.

For the record, I don't want to call him bae. I just can't refer to "my partner" without people getting weird and then getting shocked when they find out he is a dude afterall. Partner around these parts means gay couple to most people.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

cash crab posted:

You can't just say something is viral. That's not how it works.

BLM: A for-profit organization.

Not social media but this reminds me of a student who once wrote me a paper that said feminism was invented to sell books and nothing else. He did applaud feminists' business acumen though :downs:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bast Relief posted:

For the record, I don't want to call him bae. I just can't refer to "my partner" without people getting weird and then getting shocked when they find out he is a dude afterall. Partner around these parts means gay couple to most people.

The term you're looking for is fuckbuddy

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

^: NO MORE BAE TALK.

EmmyOk posted:

Not social media but this reminds me of a student who once wrote me a paper that said feminism was invented to sell books and nothing else. He did applaud feminists' business acumen though :downs:

:cripes:

A bit of a derail, but I just read this incredibly weird speech from the 80s (also for a paper!) where this guy argues that women's liberation has led to men having more heart attacks. I couldn't help but think it read like 90% of super weird Facebook posts, except that he typed and spoke this incredibly weird idea, so there was so much more forethought. It's like churning your own butter, but for lovely opinions.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

A guy I know shared this on facebook and after a few people, myself included, replied saying it was pretty off base he edited his caption to say "hrm this has be gettig mixed reaction". I decided to see the comments on the page the post itself came from. My reply showed up in a friends newsfeed and he doesn't know the guy who posted it so he told me it took great restraint not to call a total stranger a stupid oval office.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

EmmyOk posted:

A guy I know shared this on facebook and after a few people, myself included, replied saying it was pretty off base he edited his caption to say "hrm this has be gettig mixed reaction". I decided to see the comments on the page the post itself came from. My reply showed up in a friends newsfeed and he doesn't know the guy who posted it so he told me it took great restraint not to call a total stranger a stupid oval office.

Now I've heard some bold claims about Irish oppression, not all of them false. This is the worst one I've ever seen. Really buddy? ANY other race? Black people and Native Americans have always had it easier than the Irish? Not sure I 100% agree with your police work there Lou.

It almost seems like it's a troll image, but people are actually taking it seriously. Unbelievable. How could anyone with even the most basic understanding of US History possible think this?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

You know, considering the Irish "never complain about slavery", there seems to be a lot of images and posts made about how they don't make a big deal about it*.

*: I am aware that about zero percent of actual Irish people involve themselves in these conversations.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

trapped mouse posted:

How could anyone with even the most basic understanding of US History possible think this?

Haha you actually think they even have a basic understanding

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I like the early 1900's idea that the Irish are a different race

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

goose fleet posted:

Haha you actually think they even have a basic understanding

I know someone personally who was certified to teach history at the high school level who did not know who the principle belligerents of World War II were, as far as naming them and correctly lining them up on Team Axis and Team Allies.

I'm not talking about the names of generals and cabinet members or the dates of battles or the political situation in every minor power or relative minutia, I'm talking the Big Five.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Nothing wrong with the message, but drat that's an ugly image.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The JPG artifacts belong in a museum.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Arctic Baldwin posted:

I like the early 1900's idea that the Irish are a different race

Not just a different race, but even worse than the blacks!

The powerful like to otherize particular groups of the weak, it helps both create a class they can exploit with particular fervor, and to point to as a scapegoat for the ills of the day. It's kind of mindboggling, as an Irish person, to look back at attitudes just a century old like that. But as bad as we've had it at times, we never had it as bad as blacks in the US or Native Americans or anything like that. Plus if you can lose the accent (and maybe pretend your name isn't Declan O'Hanrahan or whatever), Irish people can pass as generically white, which isn't something an oppressed group should have to do, but is a huge difference compared to the situation faced by a black person even if they are otherwise in the same situation.

e; haha holy jesus look at the state of that jpg

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

These showed up within minutes of each other

At least it was two different people posting, I guess.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Nothing wrong with the message, but drat that's an ugly image.

Evry time I see a person with tons of dad/mom quotes, I assume that person totally defines themselves by their kids and just generally being a parent. They refuse to be fun and probably have nightmares about dressing their kid in a mismatched way. Everything they do leads to talking about their kids.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 05:49 on Apr 6, 2016

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Scathach posted:

Evry time I see dad/mom quotes, I assume that person totally defines themselves by their kids and just generally being a parent. They refuse to be fun and probably have nightmares about dressing their kid in a mismatched way. Everything they do leads to talking about their kids.

Having a kid is a sign that your life is over, now you must live on through them.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

cash crab posted:

*: I am aware that about zero percent of actual Irish people involve themselves in these conversations.

Not zero, but probably 6.25%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Scathach posted:

Evry time I see a person with tons of dad/mom quotes, I assume that person totally defines themselves by their kids and just generally being a parent. They refuse to be fun and probably have nightmares about dressing their kid in a mismatched way. Everything they do leads to talking about their kids.

I have the opposite reaction. I imagine a neglected hungry child pulling on mummy/daddy's pant leg and being told "Shut up Kayleigh, Mummy/Daddy's got to post on facebook about how much they love you. I SAID SHUT UP YOU WHINGING LITTLE poo poo!"