Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Yeah sorry, should have mentioned it's only on the website. I've been catching up from episode 2 and I'm impressed with how quickly they found their groove. Other than the use of copyrighted music and the occasional snippet of movie dialogue there's not much difference between episode 20-ish and the newest ones

The latest animation damnation had some kickass copyrighted music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
After hearing it, I thought that song was surely something they licensed, but it was actually written for that lovely kids show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_with_Us

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I enjoyed The Quest. I think HDTGM is way, way better when it isn't a live show these days. It lets the hosts actually get into a groove and riff on poo poo that goes weird places instead of playing to/showing contempt for the audience and they unfunny jokes.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Have they dropped the "So June, you're saying you're a [thing from movie] expert?" gimmick yet?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

Have they dropped the "So June, you're saying you're a [thing from movie] expert?" gimmick yet?

No, they're still doing it to annoy people who hate a podcast but still listen to it.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Tato posted:

I enjoyed The Quest. I think HDTGM is way, way better when it isn't a live show these days. It lets the hosts actually get into a groove and riff on poo poo that goes weird places instead of playing to/showing contempt for the audience and they unfunny jokes.

Am I the only one that thought it was strange that they all kept saying moo-ee thai. I've never heard it pronounced like that before but they all kept saying it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I've only ever heard it pronounced that way, how are you supposed to pronounce it?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

That looks like it'd be correct, AFAIK, but you do also hear "mway thai" a lot too.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Yeah sorry, should have mentioned it's only on the website. I've been catching up from episode 2 and I'm impressed with how quickly they found their groove. Other than the use of copyrighted music and the occasional snippet of movie dialogue there's not much difference between episode 20-ish and the newest ones

I am currently laughing P. hard at the characterization of the singer of the Babycakes theme as a lonely ghost, so going back and listening to those is super great.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So this is apparently a thing.

Remember the "Worst Idea of All Time" podcast? The one where the guys watched Grown Ups 2 every week for a year, then talked about every week for a year?

Apparently, they attempted to write the script from memory, then had the WorkJuice Players (the folks behind the Thrilling Adventure Hour) do a live performance of that script.

http://nerdist.com/thrilling-adventure-hour-workjuice-presents-the-worst-scripted-event-of-all-time/

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I think the WHM guys are dork-sandbagging with some of the feigned fantasy/d&d ignorance.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Drunkboxer posted:

I think the WHM guys are dork-sandbagging with some of the feigned fantasy/d&d ignorance.

Andrew in particular likes to make a big deal about how little he knows about various nerd things.

I'll give him a pass though because he's funny and maybe the cutest fat guy ever.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Drunkboxer posted:

As someone that may have played d&d in the back room of a comic shop around age 13 I couldn't help but think, "you know guys, film nerd movie podcaster maybe isn't too far of a jump from what you're laughing at." But you know, it's okay to like a movie (or table top game) and all in good fun.

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 6, 2016

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Half of being a nerd is making fun of other nerds who are into "nerdier" poo poo than you to make sure there's always someone lower than you in the hierarchy anyway.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I'm pretty sure they said something like "to be fair, we have our own nerd poo poo."

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Dr. Lariat posted:

As someone that may have played d&d in the back room of a comic shop around age 13 I couldn't help but think, "you know guys, film nerd movie podcaster maybe isn't too far of a jump from what you're laughing at." But you know, it's okay to like a movie (or table top game) and all in good fun.

The WHM guys never pretend they're coming from anything remotely resembling a highground on nerd poo poo, and it's refreshing.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

HoAssHo posted:

I'm pretty sure they said something like "to be fair, we have our own nerd poo poo."

Their stereotypical nerd voice is still pretty rough. At least there was only one of them dropping mom's basement references and the like.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I'm pretty sure the nerd voice is Steve's impression of himself as a kid

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I'm pretty sure the nerd voice is Steve's impression of himself as a kid

it is yes

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Yeah, I wish I could remember which episode it is where that started but the whole premise was that a young Steve was trying to tell his mom about some comic book poo poo and she was like oh my god who cares.

Wow, that would really change the podcast for someone who missed that and thought all the times they were doing that voice it was making fun of other people.

They dunk on themselves for being nerds all the time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

HoAssHo posted:

Yeah, I wish I could remember which episode it is where that started but the whole premise was that a young Steve was trying to tell his mom about some comic book poo poo and she was like oh my god who cares.

Wow, that would really change the podcast for someone who missed that and thought all the times they were doing that voice it was making fun of other people.

They dunk on themselves for being nerds all the time.

Think batman forever

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I remember it being in the Steel episode, maybe in Spawn before that?

E: Batman Forever?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

"Mooooom Jim Carrey's being paid a record-breaking amount to play the Riddler in the new Batman movie, can we go to McDonalds?"
"I don't caaare fatty"

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

HoAssHo posted:

Andrew in particular likes to make a big deal about how little he knows about various nerd things.

Agreed. I guess it's not surprising since he he had that whole bit about Vin Diesel getting Judi Dench playing D&D and how ridiculous that was. Like actors aren't huge nerds and fun people to role-play with.

There were plenty of funny bits, but it did feel like they were either totally ignorant or feigning ignorance about how stupid this movie actually was.

Also, I am not objective, we covered this stupid movie for our podcast at http://www.yourstupidminds.com/2013/12/podcast-dungeons-dragons-2000.html and as a result I've had to watch this godawful movie twice. There's some minor stuff that they didn't talk about that we do and vice versa, but I think the biggest two gaps are: 1) Courtney Solomon was a complete amateur director whose primary skill was raising money for geek-sploitation, and he ends up directing a movie with an 8-figure budget without any experience or qualifications; and 2) the Star Wars chosen one dynamic comes at the expense of any sense of teamwork from the assembled crew, one of the big selling points of a multiplayer game. Also why did they steal from the prequels?

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

It's not just Star Wars. The Chosen One thing is a standard fantasy novel trope. I read probably a couple hundred fantasy paperbacks in middle school and high school and it came up over and over and over again. There was usually a group (mage, rogue, healer, etc.) that adventured with and backed up the Chosen One though.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

HoAssHo posted:

It's not just Star Wars. The Chosen One thing is a standard fantasy novel trope. I read probably a couple hundred fantasy paperbacks in middle school and high school and it came up over and over and over again. There was usually a group (mage, rogue, healer, etc.) that adventured with and backed up the Chosen One though.

I know, I am way more familiar with Joe Campbell's hero with a thousand faces then I need to be in daily life, but Star Wars is the standard for this trope for me (and apparently for WHM too) because Lucas self-consciously built a narrative off of Campbell's work and because he was so successful doing it he inspired decades of people like Courtney Solomon stealing entire scenes from it wholesale. What I found confusing is that in the midst of all the New Hope, Solomon also took plot points from the Phantom Menace.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Ah, I see. I misunderstood.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

laz0rbeak posted:

I know, I am way more familiar with Joe Campbell's hero with a thousand faces then I need to be in daily life, but Star Wars is the standard for this trope for me (and apparently for WHM too) because Lucas self-consciously built a narrative off of Campbell's work and because he was so successful doing it he inspired decades of people like Courtney Solomon stealing entire scenes from it wholesale. What I found confusing is that in the midst of all the New Hope, Solomon also took plot points from the Phantom Menace.

It came out less than half a year after Phantom Menace, are we sure it's not just something in the air?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It came out less than half a year after Phantom Menace, are we sure it's not just something in the air?

In the late nineties the air was filled with turds.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Actually it was about a year and a half. May 19, 1999 for Star Wars, December 8, 2000 for D&D. I'm sure Courtney Solomon spent the ensuing 18 months working on those A+ computer effects.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Drunkboxer posted:

In the late nineties the air was filled with turds.

Turds and nu metal

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Al! posted:

Turds and nu metal
So turds then.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Evil Mastermind posted:

So this is apparently a thing.

Remember the "Worst Idea of All Time" podcast? The one where the guys watched Grown Ups 2 every week for a year, then talked about every week for a year?

Apparently, they attempted to write the script from memory, then had the WorkJuice Players (the folks behind the Thrilling Adventure Hour) do a live performance of that script.

http://nerdist.com/thrilling-adventure-hour-workjuice-presents-the-worst-scripted-event-of-all-time/

"A bold approach to human feces"

This is too good

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
"If you can find me an orc in the Seventh Seal, I'll go down on you" may be one of the most layered referential burns I've ever heard on one of these shows.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Yeah, that was a good one

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

laz0rbeak posted:

Actually it was about a year and a half. May 19, 1999 for Star Wars, December 8, 2000 for D&D. I'm sure Courtney Solomon spent the ensuing 18 months working on those A+ computer effects.

Goddamnit December 8th. First you take John Lennon, then this comes out, then that's still not enough so you take Dimebag Darrell. What a bullshit date.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The WHM guys never pretend they're coming from anything remotely resembling a highground on nerd poo poo, and it's refreshing.

They cried at the last Star Wars movie.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

cheerfullydrab posted:

They cried at the last Star Wars movie.

Supporting my point!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Supporting my point!

I was agreeing with you and offering evidence!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
unbelievably good how did this get made this week