Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jedit posted:

Other interesting stuff includes Stella Gemmell's sequel to The City, Mike Carey's new solo novel, the latest in the Rivers of London series, what I believe is the next Laundry novel, and the finale of the Long Earth series.

Is her stuff any good? I think she did a great job finishing up Troy: Fall of Kings, but I never read The City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

fritz posted:

There's nothing showing up for it on Locus:
http://www.locusmag.com/Resources/ForthcomingBooks.html

For me personally I'm not seeing a lot exciting on a quick glance-through, there's a print edition of Bujold's "Penric's Demon", and then the new N.K.Jemisin in August. Past that there's a new Reynolds in September and the new Abhorsen book from Garth Nix in November. (But there's a bunch of stuff from thread-favorites?)

I was kinda disappointed with Clariel. I hope this is better with it going back to Lirael and co.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

holocaust bloopers posted:

So anything good coming out in the next few months?

I saw last night that the next Locke Lamora book is pegged for June/July.

Quite a bit, depending on your tolerance for series, of course. In addition to what's been mentioned,

Recently out:
Snakewood by Adrian Selby - debut fantasy, picking up a fair amount of buzz
Those Below by Daniel Polansky - sequel to Those Above

Coming Soon:
Tyrant's Throne by Sebastien de Castell - third book in the Greatcoats series, which has been a ton of fun so far
The Wheel of Osheim by Mark Lawrence - third book in the Red Queen' War series; generally a much lighter tone than his previous series, almost a fantasy-comedy
Stiletto by Daniel O'Malley - sequel to The Rook, a huge favorite in the Dresden/Urban Fantasy thread
The Perdition Score by Richard Kadrey, latest in the Sandman Slim series

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Whoa I take back what I said about Quantum Thief being a struggle. I just blasted through the second half in one go and it was fantastic. So much for sleep!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Koesj posted:

Whoa I take back what I said about Quantum Thief being a struggle. I just blasted through the second half in one go and it was fantastic. So much for sleep!

Hell yeah, post in here your thoughts about books 2 and 3!

2 definitely changes its town a bit, but I still liked it a lot.

TQT is one of the only trilogies I've read more than once. And it gets better with each read.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Oh god I've got such a tremendous backlog to work through.

I can't be the only one right?!

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I have four hundred books in my back log. I'm never going to get to backlog zero. there's just more poo poo gonna go into it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

ulmont posted:

Book three is out, and appears to pick up right where book two left off (there is some amount of time that has passed, but the characters are still in "sorcery school" etc.).

http://dubiousprospects.blogspot.com/2016/04/another-instance-of-committing-book.htm
It's good! It's largely Sorcery School 2: The Graduating, but there are a lot of wider viewpoints, and it's less about the learning and more about the society-building. Some more hints about Halt's long-term goals, a little bit of Reems, and some economics. Swans, sheep, all the fun animals show up.

I think I need to reread it to figure out what the hell Zora actually did, but it was a fun read.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Hell yeah, post in here your thoughts about books 2 and 3!

2 definitely changes its town a bit, but I still liked it a lot.

TQT is one of the only trilogies I've read more than once. And it gets better with each read.

Oh man good idea. Gotta reread them when I'm done with the takeshi kovacs series.

On book#2 now and it's pretty ballin!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

flosofl posted:

Is her stuff any good? I think she did a great job finishing up Troy: Fall of Kings, but I never read The City.

It's not astounding genius, but you can see how much influence she had on her husband's work and he on hers.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'm going to be on a long haul flight tomorrow.
Does anyone have good reads to recommend? I've read most of the stuff discussed over the past page.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Ornamented Death posted:

Recently out:
Snakewood by Adrian Selby - debut fantasy, picking up a fair amount of buzz

Pretty tepid reviews on both Amazon and Goodreads though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

shrike82 posted:

Does anyone have good reads to recommend? I've read most of the stuff discussed over the past page.

HP Lovecraft should be right up your alley.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

less laughter posted:

That book seems absolutely not my kind of thing, but most of the Amazon reviews are "this book is too complicated" which is a pretty weak complaint.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

shrike82 posted:

Could you post something vaguer please? In the mean time try the thread title.

xian posted:

I have four hundred books in my back log. I'm never going to get to backlog zero. there's just more poo poo gonna go into it.

Not even professional book reviewers ever reach the end of their backlogs. It's daft to stress about it. Same reason I don't like those "Number Nouns You Must Verb Before You Die" books. Life's not a checklist. (Ninja: I don't think you're being stupid about it. I think I'm agreeing with you.)

I'm the Book Barn IK. Feel free to PM me or email bookbarnsecretsanta@gmail.com if I can help you with anything.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

fritz posted:

That book seems absolutely not my kind of thing, but most of the Amazon reviews are "this book is too complicated" which is a pretty weak complaint.

It's interesting to note that most of the complaints I see (more so on the Goodreads page) apply equally to Gardens of the Moon. I won't comment further beyond that, as I haven't read Snakewood yet and was just passing on the title of a recent book that was receiving some buzz from people whose opinions I generally agree with.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Ornamented Death posted:

It's interesting to note that most of the complaints I see (more so on the Goodreads page) apply equally to Gardens of the Moon.

"Gardens of the Moon" was my favorite Malazan book, the only one to survive my latest purge, and I simply do not appreciate most of the complaints about it.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

shrike82 posted:

I just picked up Cherryh's Faded Sun trilogy and am enjoying it so far (maybe 1/3 of the way into the first book?). 10 bucks on Amazon for the entire trilogy, so not a huge investment.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

AEMINAL posted:

Oh man good idea. Gotta reread them when I'm done with the takeshi kovacs series.

On book#2 now and it's pretty ballin!

For variety, I highly recommend the audio books narrated by Scott Brick if you haven't listened to them already. It's a shame that they had another narrator do book 3 though.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Despite having 397 books on my backlog, I can never decide what to read next.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

xian posted:

Despite having 397 books on my backlog, I can never decide what to read next.

I suspect that's less "despite" and more "because". See: kids at Christmas who can't decide what present to open first.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It was the same when it was 25 books. I wonder what the threshold for a linear backlog is.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Anyone able to give opinions on The Fold by Peter Clines? Seems interesting but I'm hesitating on buying it. I would use the free sample option, but I can't figure out how to access it through the web app / phone app.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RoboCicero posted:

Anyone able to give opinions on The Fold by Peter Clines? Seems interesting but I'm hesitating on buying it. I would use the free sample option, but I can't figure out how to access it through the web app / phone app.

If you read 14 the The Fold takes place in the same universe.

I liked it, it's hard to describe without ruining the reveal in it that happens, which basically changes the whole story from techno-sic-fi-thriller to ... other genre. I'm pretty sure goon opinions were mostly positive on it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

House Louse posted:

Could you post something vaguer please? In the mean time try the thread title.

Not even professional book reviewers ever reach the end of their backlogs. It's daft to stress about it. Same reason I don't like those "Number Nouns You Must Verb Before You Die" books. Life's not a checklist. (Ninja: I don't think you're being stupid about it. I think I'm agreeing with you.)

I wish I were a professional book reviewer

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Re: back logs. Mine isn't getting any better because Downbelow Station gets delivered this week. I've never read Cherryh.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

shrike82 posted:

Sean McMullen's Greatwinter trilogy. Starts with Souls in the Great Machine, followed by The Miocene Arrow and then Eyes of the Calculor.

Two thousand years after a mysterious Call began periodically luring people to deaths at sea and all electrical machinery ceased working, the Highliber of Australica's Dragon Librarian service re-invents the computer - the calculor, composed of hundreds of individuals working on abacuses set up in parrallel-processing banks. A machine created to confirm the Highliber's theory that the ancient machines that ended the world before were not destroyed, and may in fact stil be a threat.

That's just the initial premise, the story goes in directions I don't want to mention for fear of spoilers. It's a pretty drat good series IMO.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Re: back logs. Mine isn't getting any better because Downbelow Station gets delivered this week. I've never read Cherryh.

I started out with the Chanur series on February 8th last year, thinking "hey, space opera, might be cool!" I've now read 27 Cherryh novels :ohdear:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

RoboCicero posted:

It's horrible crap featuring a Mary Sue main character that is autistic but also has eidetic memory and gets the girl at the end. We are reminded of his perfect memory on every other page. The plot twists are telegraphed and the writing leaves much to be desired. The worst book I've read this year.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Koesj posted:

I started out with the Chanur series on February 8th last year, thinking "hey, space opera, might be cool!" I've now read 27 Cherryh novels :ohdear:

Is Cherryh extremely your poo poo or is she that consistently good?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I've come around on the Vlad Taltos books after a shaky start. I've been devouring them, on book 8 now I think (Dragon).

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

less laughter posted:

Skimming through it at the bookstore, and the first person narration (of a not particularly literate mercenary) is giving me a headache.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

For variety, I highly recommend the audio books narrated by Scott Brick if you haven't listened to them already. It's a shame that they had another narrator do book 3 though.

I love Scott brick's narrations and was bummed to learn recently that he is apparently a crazy person who is treating his thyroid cancer with alkaline water or some such quack therapy and accordingly will probably die sooner rather than later :(

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Is Cherryh extremely your poo poo or is she that consistently good?

Cherryh can write a hell of a book.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

fritz posted:

Cherryh can write a hell of a book.

What's her notable work, or a good place to start?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

What's her notable work, or a good place to start?

Cyteen or Downbelow Station are both hugely beloved.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Orwell wrote an essay about someone who did it professionally. The image he painted in his elegantly simple prose was not pretty.

Edit: forgot to quote the post above re book reviews and on my phone so can't fix it easily.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

General Battuta posted:

Cyteen or Downbelow Station are both hugely beloved.

Downbelow Station is a great book but can be tough going. Maybe start with the first Chanur book?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Medusa's Web felt an awful lot like Tim Powers trying to write a better version of Three Days to Never, and I definitely preferred the more science-fictional approach to mashing together Gnosticism and Kabalistic Judaism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I started reading Downbelow Station a week or so ago and have found it incredibly interesting but also a little more dense than some of the sci fi I've been reading as of late. Cherryh doesn't hold your hand. Plot lines get thrown at you left and right and POV characters switch around pretty swiftly. It feels like a lot of pieces moving slowly, and I can already see bits where things are starting to come together. It's really impressive so far, but not the light space opera I might have otherwise expected.