Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Don't try and kill the next boss with your molten greatsword, you really need some distance.

Two good weapons are the Phoenix Handgun (handgun+hellstone) w/ meteor bullets, or the Demon Scythe spell (drops from demons). A good bow and Jester arrows would probably work too.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
When I'm having a bad time draining a lake of lava or even water, I resort to dynamite.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

When I'm having a bad time draining a lake of lava or even water, I resort to dynamite.

You should never need a reason to resort to dynamite.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Rockets are more fun than dynamite but you need to be in hard mode for them.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

So is the Phoenix gun a better option than the Megashark? I've been using a ruby staff for my ranged damage.
(I found a demonic snowball cannon, which fires super fast but does squat for damage)

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The Megashark will probably wind up dealing more damage. If I remember right, it's rapid fire and has a pretty good chance to not consume ammo with each shot, moreso if you pair it up with some pre-hardmode ranged armor.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I recall the phoenix blaster being easier to get in the past but I think it's easier to get the money you need for the megashark now.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Minishark. Megashark is later.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Right yeah that.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Phoenix Blaster deals more damage but the Minishark is way more ammo effective and you won't get carpal tunnel syndrome from using it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Not making all weapons autoswing is still one of Terraria's biggest mistakes ever.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Minishark or phoenix blaster, getting some piercing bullets is good because of reasons. Like meteor ammo and uh I can't think of any other piercing bullets you could get at this point offhand.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

There are only two types of piercing bullets iirc and one of them is crafted with the latest game ore.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Vib Rib posted:

Not making all weapons autoswing is still one of Terraria's biggest mistakes ever.

I like Terraria, but it has two really obnoxious design features: excessive grinding (nothing worse than summoning 30 times the same boss in a row because you need a rare drop to complete an item) and considering that carpal tunnel syndrome is a valid game balance technique.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

I like Terraria, but it has two really obnoxious design features: excessive grinding (nothing worse than summoning 30 times the same boss in a row because you need a rare drop to complete an item) and considering that carpal tunnel syndrome is a valid game balance technique.

There's a new thread title in your post.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Gonna go against the grain here and say I understand why they did it. Melee autoswing trivializes a lot of the weaker, early-game enemies, and from what I recall I don't think the early-game ranged weapons were autofire either. Having to time my swings to hit things isn't all that difficult in the early game when I'm mostly coming up against zombies, slimes, and bats anyway.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It doesn't trivialize anything. You still swing at the same speed. You just have to keep clicking. Autoswing does not make attacking stronger or faster, just less inconvenient.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The "weaker, early-game enemies", you mean the one that you fight with a pickaxe, axe, or hammer because all tools autoswing, right?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

It doesn't trivialize anything. You still swing at the same speed. You just have to keep clicking. Autoswing does not make attacking stronger or faster, just less inconvenient.

Autoswing means that you're attacking constantly, so anything that suffers knockback can't touch you. You don't even need to pay attention to some enemies, just hold down the mouse button and let then bounce off your axe till they die - no aiming or timing necessary. With non-autoswing weapons, you don't have that weapon constantly swinging around as a barrier, and you have to actually pay attention and time your attacks for ehen the enemy is in range...or I guess you could hammer on your mouse like a crazy lerson, but it's not the game's fault you're wasting your energy like that. I just don't get it, though - no one complains about bows breaking their hand because they have to click every time they attack.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

The "weaker, early-game enemies", you mean the one that you fight with a pickaxe, axe, or hammer because all tools autoswing, right?

A zombie (or more likely two or three of them) will eventually break through your copper pickaxe, but would probably die first if you were swinging a sword at it.

I'll add rigid linear progression (enforced by ongoing MMO-style nerfs to any equipment that ends up being too powerful or too much fun) to the list of gripes. That said, I've spent more time with Terraria than with almost anything else in my Steam account.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Clark Nova posted:

(enforced by ongoing MMO-style nerfs to any equipment that ends up being too powerful or too much fun)
Never forget the original Spectre Armor. :smith:

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Well I'm stuck with what to wear.

I've got the mining helmet on for light while exploring or running outside at night, and it's useful. The downside is, it doesn't give much protection, and it prevents me from getting my full set bonus. Is there an alternative to the helmet besides popping the glowing potions forever?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Zombie Guy posted:

I've got the mining helmet on for light while exploring or running outside at night, and it's useful. The downside is, it doesn't give much protection, and it prevents me from getting my full set bonus. Is there an alternative to the helmet besides popping the glowing potions forever?
I think the only early game mechanic like the Mining Helmet is a pet that you can get from smashing Shadow Orbs. If you equip it in the "Light Pet" slot, it emits light, albeit very dimly and with a purple shade.

Besides that, torches are never in short supply.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Zombie Guy posted:

There are some light giving pets but they all the early ones got nerfed to poo poo when hardmode came out. If you can handle the strobing you can get some decent light out of the space gun.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
once I got my hands on starfury I was good for exploration light sources for a while.

once you can do so it would be a good idea to make a small plant farm for potion ingredients.

I always kept torches on me too, sure they wont work in water but it's not too hard to work around that for a while/get glowsticks

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

If you're lucky enough to find the skeleton merchant underground during a full moon, you can buy a "Magic Lamp" light source pet. It not only provides illumination, but also highlights nearby treasure.

Otherwise light sources only start becoming more "common" during hard mode. By which I mean three of the six in the game are only available in hard mode. The two best ones are basically endgame drops, with the best light source being an expert mode only drop from the final boss.

Basically just start setting up a herb farm now because you're gonna go through a lot of shine potions. The Dryad sells "planter boxes" which allow you to grow the various plants provided you have their seeds.

This is the one that I eventually set up. It, uh, gives me a lot of herbs for potion making. You probably won't need 100 of each type of plant, however.

ETA: The staff in the bottom right corner of the picture lets you get more herbs when you harvest them. It's an uncommon find from shrine chests in the underground jungle.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 8, 2016

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Technically you can plant any plant in any type of planter, it just helps keep things sorted.

And you might want a lot more of things that bloom rarely like deathweed than you do of things like daybloom, moonglow, and blinkroot.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Lava Flower planters don't bloom unless they're under lava, do they?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

That was mercifully changed in the last major patch. It now blooms every day at sunset! Waterleaf was similarly changed, and now no longer requires being submerged in water to bloom. Now it only does so during rain.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The White Dragon posted:

Lava Flower planters don't bloom unless they're under lava, do they?

Depends on which version you're talking about. On the PC, this is no longer the case.

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Guide:Gardening

Of course if you refer specifically to planter boxes, then they never worked this way; they were introduced in the same version that changed fireblossom blooming from "if submerged in lava" to "evenings when it's not raining".

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Nightowl and/or Shine potions are both really easy to make once you've got a small herb farm going. They take almost no time to set up anymore thanks to the changes to plant blooming, so there's no reason not to buy a couple of planters or make some pots and chuck some seeds into them once you've got some.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I had some planters too close to my above-ground mushroom biome, which wound up making a number of things either never bloom or stop blooming when I got close to them (and inside the mushroom biome) :v: mostly the waterleaf and deathbloom

it was really good for blinkroot though, and it didnt really affect daybloom at all

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/the-state-of-1-3-1-for-pc.42306/

A cool webm, a list of 1.3.1 bugs and 1.3.2 confirmed. :shepface:

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I just picked up this game and after I build the first house I have no idea what I should be doing. What are some good early game goals?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I just picked up this game and after I build the first house I have no idea what I should be doing. What are some good early game goals?

Extreme early game: Find the snow biome (it's usually near your start) and dig up a ton of snow. Make a ton of snowballs. Throw them at your enemies. Kill a bunch of slimes with your snowballs to get gel to make torches. Make lots and lots of torches. Also make lots and lots of wood platforms. Make a few campfires out of some of your torches, leaving one in your house and taking the rest with you in case you need the regen while you're out.
Scout around the surface a bit with your torches and your snowballs. Make note of where your jungle and corruption/crimson biomes are and turn back when you find them (difficulty spikes, ho!). Poke around in any caves you find but don't go very deep just yet. You're mainly looking for chests to open and pots to break, but you might also find some ore.
If you find a desert, dig up lots of sand. Make a furnace out of torches and stone, which will let you smelt ore and make sand into glass. Make a lot of glass bottles and look up potion recipes on the wiki.
Thoroughly explore under your snow biome, there's potentially neat stuff in chests down there and the threat level is pretty low. You really want a magic mirror but might have to settle with recall potions for a while.
Make your house bigger. A merchant will move into a suitable room when you hit 50 silver. He sells healing potions, torches, and other things. A nurse moves in after your first life crystal, she heals you for a small fee. Several other merchants move in after major life events, you'll need over a dozen rooms eventually. Don't use more than 2 life crystals just yet.
Go explore your caves. You want ore, gems, life crystals, loot from chests and hopefully access to a mushroom biome to make better potions. Get a 8 of a kind of gem to make a grappling hook with it or kill skeletons til they drop a hook you can use to make one with iron chains.
Make a ranged weapon that isn't made of wood or copper and isn't simply throwing snow balls.
Use all the life crystals you've found. After using 3 of them there's a chance that the first boss will spawn each night til you kill it. Make an arena out of wooden platforms (2 or 3 parallel bridges you can jump up and down to dodge attacks better) and stick some campfires on it for light and the regen buff. Kill eyeballs at night to get lenses, which are used to craft the item to summon the boss if you're impatient. The boss drops a new fancy ore that makes cool stuff.
Explore some more. You can go to the corruption/crimson right away to fight the next boss, dig deeper to get ore and make some actual armor, raid the jungle for its loot, dive into the ocean to plunder the chests at the bottom or try to find your floating islands.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

dis astranagant posted:

Extreme early game: Find the snow biome (it's usually near your start) and dig up a ton of snow. Make a ton of snowballs. Throw them at your enemies. Kill a bunch of slimes with your snowballs to get gel to make torches. Make lots and lots of torches. Also make lots and lots of wood platforms. Make a few campfires out of some of your torches, leaving one in your house and taking the rest with you in case you need the regen while you're out.
Scout around the surface a bit with your torches and your snowballs. Make note of where your jungle and corruption/crimson biomes are and turn back when you find them (difficulty spikes, ho!). Poke around in any caves you find but don't go very deep just yet. You're mainly looking for chests to open and pots to break, but you might also find some ore.
If you find a desert, dig up lots of sand. Make a furnace out of torches and stone, which will let you smelt ore and make sand into glass. Make a lot of glass bottles and look up potion recipes on the wiki.
Thoroughly explore under your snow biome, there's potentially neat stuff in chests down there and the threat level is pretty low. You really want a magic mirror but might have to settle with recall potions for a while.
Make your house bigger. A merchant will move into a suitable room when you hit 50 silver. He sells healing potions, torches, and other things. A nurse moves in after your first life crystal, she heals you for a small fee. Several other merchants move in after major life events, you'll need over a dozen rooms eventually. Don't use more than 2 life crystals just yet.
Go explore your caves. You want ore, gems, life crystals, loot from chests and hopefully access to a mushroom biome to make better potions. Get a 8 of a kind of gem to make a grappling hook with it or kill skeletons til they drop a hook you can use to make one with iron chains.
Make a ranged weapon that isn't made of wood or copper and isn't simply throwing snow balls.
Use all the life crystals you've found. After using 3 of them there's a chance that the first boss will spawn each night til you kill it. Make an arena out of wooden platforms (2 or 3 parallel bridges you can jump up and down to dodge attacks better) and stick some campfires on it for light and the regen buff. Kill eyeballs at night to get lenses, which are used to craft the item to summon the boss if you're impatient. The boss drops a new fancy ore that makes cool stuff.
Explore some more. You can go to the corruption/crimson right away to fight the next boss, dig deeper to get ore and make some actual armor, raid the jungle for its loot, dive into the ocean to plunder the chests at the bottom or try to find your floating islands.

Awesome, sounds like a lot more fun than digging forever

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There's enough stuff on the surface and in caves that you can usually avoid most digging til after the third boss but at that point you will need to dig down to hell. I wouldn't recommend doing much fishing on your first game. You can more or less skip straight to hardmode if you do and you might as well see as much content as you can.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 7, 2016

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Awesome, sounds like a lot more fun than digging forever

Oddly there's not a lot of digging in early terraria except to get ore veins and occasionally hop over to a more interesting-looking cave complex

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gooooooood loving luck if you run into Granite or Marble anytime soon though. :v:

Also, you're going to want to make a broadsword and a bow. Broadswords swing like a windmill but shortswords just jab out like a rapier and it's less useful since every enemy isn't going to just walk at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

If you insist on melee early in the game, make a cactus sword. All other early swords are tiny, but the cactus one is quite large and might actually let you hit things. The reason I recommended snowballs is because you literally find them on the ground in mass quantities and they're basically a faster wood bow + arrows with more knockback. And you just might find a better use for them if you explore enough.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 7, 2016