Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Manky posted:

Actually it has more than one, and I prefer not to be narrow minded!

oh god gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Is it still April Fools Day in the games chat thread?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Manky posted:

No, corn made an assumption based on a badly written metaphor and called me wrong. But he was wrong instead! He conflated hermaphroditism with being bigender, again, based on an image and not what I said. I called the character trans, which is correct if you take bigender as under the umbrella of transgenderism (which seems to be the norm!). The in game script calls the character bigender. Sorry this was confusing for you, but if you read things/experience time linearly, it should make sense!

What you said WAS the image. You didn't post "The in-game script" until later.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 6, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Ok so I drank the warm beer now so that's done, that's behind us.

So I got these kind of gross alcoholic orange sodas they were giving away with this beer, so I'm gonna give these a shot again, they've been in my fridge. I'm still playing Lightning Returns, trying to productively waste four hours but this optional giraffe monster in an alleyway is like a god drat spiked bat up my rectum.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Which Shadowrun games are good or essential Shadowrun games if I've never played one before?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
E: late night for Manks, hope everyone has a good sleep or day or lunar cycle or whatever applies!

Manky fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 6, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Which Shadowrun games are good or essential Shadowrun games if I've never played one before?
Returns, Dragonfall, and HK.

I hear the Genesis and SNES games are both interesting, but I've never played them.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Accordion Man posted:

Returns, Dragonfall, and HK.

I hear the Genesis and SNES games are both interesting, but I've never played them.

You get returns for free with dragon fall.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Manky posted:

Actually it has more than one, and I prefer not to be narrow minded!

e:

Oh jeez, sorry about that. Talk about narrow minded! I'll try to avoid that bias in future posts :doh: there I go again!

adjective (not comparable)
1. (narrowly) Having a gender (identity) which is different from the sex one was assigned at birth, i.e. being assigned male at birth but having a female gender or vice versa; or, pertaining to such people. (Comparetranssexual, and the following sense.)
2. (broadly) Not identifying with culturally conventional gender roles and categories of male or female; having changed gender identity from male to female or female to male, or identifying with elements of both, or having some other gender identity; or, pertaining to such people. (Compare genderqueer, transsexual, and transvestite.)

The first does not apply because all signs point to them being a hermaphrodite, and they clearly identify with both genders.

The second is a broad usage and therefore shouldn't be used if a narrow word is applicable to prevent miscommunication. In this case, they are bigender. In addition, it's pretty rude to call someone trans if they have their own gender identity.

This is why I keep a dictionary on my phone.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lurdiak posted:

I really don't think someone pretending to be a guy to not get raped by pirates is the same as a transgender person.

It's been a while since I played FF5, but somehow I never picked up on the rape context...?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Tenzarin posted:

You get returns for free with dragon fall.
No, you don't. They're separate games.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Nasgate posted:

adjective (not comparable)
1. (narrowly) Having a gender (identity) which is different from the sex one was assigned at birth, i.e. being assigned male at birth but having a female gender or vice versa; or, pertaining to such people. (Comparetranssexual, and the following sense.)
2. (broadly) Not identifying with culturally conventional gender roles and categories of male or female; having changed gender identity from male to female or female to male, or identifying with elements of both, or having some other gender identity; or, pertaining to such people. (Compare genderqueer, transsexual, and transvestite.)

The first does not apply because all signs point to them being a hermaphrodite, and they clearly identify with both genders.

The second is a broad usage and therefore shouldn't be used if a narrow word is applicable to prevent miscommunication. In this case, they are bigender. In addition, it's pretty rude to call someone trans if they have their own gender identity.

This is why I keep a dictionary on my phone.

Would or would not bang this anime character?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 6, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Accordion Man posted:

No, you don't. They're separate games.

Well you can get a combo its basically free, I swore they removed shadowrun returns because they released the updated engine with dragonfall directors cut.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > April Chat Thread - Queer Studies Zone

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Tenzarin posted:

Twitch is lame, watching others play video games is lame on the internet, donating money to people playing video games on the internet is lame, donating money to people to watch people playing video games on the internet is lame.

And yet, I wish I could be a millionaire off playing video games for the internet.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Judging a game's popularity based on Twitch viewers is even worse than judging a show's popularity based on people livetweeting while it airs, because at least Twitter is socially acceptable.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/Xythar/status/717514531967254530

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Talk about cool as gently caress congress man.

Only thing bernie sanders was able to do was rename post offices.

Man you would have to embezzle to afford all those train simulator's DLC.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pleasebetruepleasebetruepleasebetrue...

http://www.destructoid.com/vaping-congressman-used-1-302-of-campaign-funds-on-steam-games-353430.phtml

:vince:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Oh his son stole the games, I wonder what his SA account name is.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Alright. Time to fess up. Which one of you is this?

e: Its probably citb, how else would he have so many games over the last little while?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

He's got my vote! :patriot:

Tenzarin posted:

Would. Yes I know Bridgette is a guy

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

VAPER'S RIGHTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT2Y6ftxilM

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tenzarin posted:

Oh his son stole the games, I wonder what his SA account name is.

VideoGames

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
it's lowtax

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

Judging a game's popularity based on Twitch viewers is even worse than judging a show's popularity based on people livetweeting while it airs, because at least Twitter is socially acceptable.

This is funny, because Microsoft went from "consoles sold" to "XBL user activity" as a metric for success.

You're absolutely right, of course, but still, if a corporate entity is using unique user presence as a metric for business, then it still counts.

Somehow. :shrug:

1300 copies of Bad Rats.

:chord:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

gently caress yeah!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Videogames don't make people violent PS: I WILL LITERALLY KILL YOU IF YOU ANNOY ME

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I'm sure the person wearing that hoodie is entirely serious about literally murdering a person for their experience so they can level up

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Holding a 360 controller and wearing a 360 headset makes you a gamer.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Holding a 360 controller and wearing a 360 headset makes you a typical goon

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

All 3 of the newer Harebrained Schemes games are quite good, with Returns being a bit less good but making up for it by being quite short. The SNES and Genesis titles both have interesting elements and fun stories, but they're hampered by being quite dated, especially when it comes to UI. The Genesis one is also kind of terrible overall. I'd only look into either if you have a high tolerance for the foibles of older games. Or if this screenshot is irresistible.

raditts posted:

It's been a while since I played FF5, but somehow I never picked up on the rape context...?

I'm greatly extrapolating but there's a line about being the only girl on a ship full of pirates at sea.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Lurdiak posted:

The Genesis one is also kind of terrible overall.

Objectively you're probably right but I'm afraid we're still gonna have to duel over this

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

While I already know he has male genitalia, it is a no regardless. Looks twelve.

Just like how I don't find nu laura croft attractive because she looks like a teenager.

Mistle posted:

This is funny, because Microsoft went from "consoles sold" to "XBL user activity" as a metric for success.

You're absolutely right, of course, but still, if a corporate entity is using unique user presence as a metric for business, then it still counts.

Somehow. :shrug:

1300 copies of Bad Rats.

:chord:

I would say the users actually playing your dumb console is a better metric than units sold since the latter doesn't include resale or returns.

Nasgate fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 6, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Objectively you're probably right but I'm afraid we're still gonna have to duel over this

Here is your weapon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvSvIRH8xtU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Nasgate posted:

While I already know she has male genitalia, it is a no regardless. Looks twelve.

Way to make the fictional banging weird, nasghoul.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Nasgate posted:

I would say the users actually playing your dumb console is a better metric than units sold since the latter doesn't include resale or returns.

It would be if they didn't dilute it by counting playing windows 10 store games including solitaire and freecell as "xbox engagement." Well, externally anyway. If they're lying to themselves about platform engagement internally, they're loving stupid. This on the other hand

Nasgate posted:

While I already know she has male genitalia, it is a no regardless. Looks twelve.
is a brilliant response.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't think Bridget even identifies as female anyway so once again it's not a trans character, just a very girly looking boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

If you have friends, please dont let them play Hyperdimension Neptunia U. It is a bad game.

• Locked thread