Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
The park ranger thing is from nosleep. How can I get a job stealing stories from a short fiction subreddit and turning them into clickbait lists, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Danger posted:

The park ranger thing is from nosleep. How can I get a job stealing stories from a short fiction subreddit and turning them into clickbait lists, too.

Yeah this article and many others there reek of stdh.txt

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Plethora posted:

Also, shamelessly reposting from the "creepy pictures" thread:

"The Anguished Man" - a haunted painting of unknown origins.

The image alone is hosed up. The backstory doesn't help, either.

http://weekinweird.com/2012/11/27/mail-bag-torturous-cries-the-anguished-man/

More info on the painting:
https://www.facebook.com/theanguishedman/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRQSWgYNqvI

Speaking of relevant Stephen King short stories:

The Road Virus Heads North

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Danger posted:

That's what I thought about the first story. It's super easy to hallucinate in the dark woods when you're tired. I've hunted very early in the morning many times, and your mind plays tricks on you.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Speaking of relevant Stephen King short stories:

The Road Virus Heads North

Goddammit. Now that you've referenced that story, which creeps the hell out of me, I feel compelled to read about the Anguished Man. I am supposed to be sleeping, and this will probably give me two reason I can't.

Edit: Nope. Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope. I got through the first paragraph, and I decided to cut my losses. Actual dangers that exist in the real world and can actually hurt me barely phase me at all. Imaginary dangers that don't exist anywhere except in my imaginations consistently gently caress me up.

Centripetal Horse has a new favorite as of 06:50 on Apr 4, 2016

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Creepy stories involving paintings? I have an offering. One of the scariest things I've ever read, a short story called "The Throwing Suit," about a painting with a horrible "true" story behind it. I know we don't do fiction here generally, but this is worth it if you're interested in stories in this vein.

You can read most of it on Google Books: https://books.google.com/books?id=kEVMHPuGp2gC&lpg=PA141&ots=SWqcPIRZaQ&dq=%22the%20throwing%20suit%22&pg=PA125#v=onepage&q&f=false

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Centripetal Horse posted:

Goddammit. Now that you've referenced that story, which creeps the hell out of me, I feel compelled to read about the Anguished Man. I am supposed to be sleeping, and this will probably give me two reason I can't.

Edit: Nope. Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope. I got through the first paragraph, and I decided to cut my losses. Actual dangers that exist in the real world and can actually hurt me barely phase me at all. Imaginary dangers that don't exist anywhere except in my imaginations consistently gently caress me up.

As soon as I saw the photo of the portrait on that site, I decided it was bedtime. But in the light of day, I'm enjoying reading about it now. Gonna go get a second coffee and spook myself now that it's "safe" from "ghosts."

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

FourLeaf posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Scully

:nms:
"In 2011, Scully fled from Melbourne, Australia, to the Philippines after being accused of multiple fraud offences. From the southern Philippines island of Mindanao, he is alleged to have run an international pedophile ring and offered live pay-per-view video streams of children being tortured and sexually abused on the dark web including a video titled Daisy's Destruction."
:nms:

I know this was a few pages back, but I made the mistake of googling Scully and thought I'd share. The article is about a man who tortured babies and children on camera and allegedly posted it for all the world to see, so...fair warning.

https://www.vice.com/read/why-are-people-obsessed-with-the-legendarily-dark-internet-video-dafu-love-923

:nms: :nms: :nms: :nms:
According to secondhand accounts, the supposed video features a real Australian man living in the Philippines named Peter Scully, who, along with his accomplices, tortures several babies to death. Rumor has it they use a hammer and chisel to break a baby's skull. Rumor has it they disembowel a baby. Rumor has it, they beat two babies together as though they're having a pillow fight, until the impact finally kills them.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

As soon as I saw the photo of the portrait on that site, I decided it was bedtime. But in the light of day, I'm enjoying reading about it now. Gonna go get a second coffee and spook myself now that it's "safe" from "ghosts."

maybe this is not the right thing but when I look up "the anguished man" I find this

quote:

The day started out like no other. Michael had just got home from work and sat down in front of his television, mindlessly staring into the endless void of pixels dancing around on a glass screen. After a few short minutes of mind numbingly staring into the television, he decided to go and get himself an ice cold beer from the fridge. On the journey there, he heard something on the tv that unlocked a memory that had been long buried and forgotten for what he thought was an eternity.

He went to the decrepit dungeon hidden away by a secret eroded door he kept underneath the family rug, carefully placing his large foot on the small first step of the descent, tip toeing down each step afterwards making sure to not slip, fall or break the slats of the feeble stairs he fumbled down. He trod on an old leather ball and slipped into the entangling darkness of the locked away cellar, accidentally shutting the door behind him. With only a spec of light creeping through an unreachable double glazed window at the top of the ceiling, taunting and teasing him about the freedoms outside, he blindly felt around for the painting he tried to recover in the first place.

On first gaze of the thought provoking portrait of the 'Anguished Man' Michael found himself lost for words at the hidden beauty of this disturbing painting. After retrieving the lost portrait, Michael struggled to find his way back to the steps leading back to the light that he could barely see coming through a minuscule gap in the floorboards, as if God were guiding him back to his domain where he could be safe from the dark devils that dwelled in the cellar.

After approximately 3 minutes of floundering up the dusty stairs, he finally managed to make his way back to the outside world. The first action he took was to hang the horrifying picture on the drooping wallpaper of his 1 bedroom apartment. Later that night he heard strange noises coming from outside his bedroom roughly where he hung 'The Anguished Man'. After thoroughly investigating the cause of the noise he found no evidence, except a small knife laying on the floor of his small kitchen. After coming to the conclusion that the wind was playing tricks on him and that it had magically opened his cutlery draw and pick up a metal knife and threw it on the floor, he made his way back to his room where he drifted back off to sleep. Half way through the night he felt a warm liquid feeling drip down his face and decided to wipe it off, thought nothing of it and drift off back to sleep.

The next morning Michael woke up to find his pillow smothered in the amount of blood needed to drown someone, quickly rushing to the bathroom to grab some tissue paper, he found that when he looked in the mirror his ear was slit down the middle, something, with surgical precision, had slit down the middle part of his ear. Again thinking nothing about it he put a small plaster on it and decided to go to work. Upon coming home from work he found the 'Anguished Man' laying on the floor with a more, sinister expression on the portraits face, but weirdest of all, he found writing on the walls that read 'Everyone has betrayed me' up reading this the door slammed shut, locking in place. Michael ran to his bedroom locking the door, not even looking at the horrors that lurked inside. After locking his door, he noticed some more etching in blood which read 'Turn around'.

Slowly, he turned around, to find the Anguished Man, drenched in a vast pool of blood, looking at him, staring at him... the portrait now depicts two figures, screaming, with hollow eyes.. and hollow mouths...

If you look close enough, you'll see two little tears on one's face.

and if this is the right thing: y'all fuckin' pansies

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
yeah i dont think people were talking about anything from the creepypasta wiki and were probably talking about the article linked in the original post

ahaha scope this weird knockoff on ebay someone tried to sell for 15k pounds

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

into the void posted:

I know this was a few pages back, but I made the mistake of googling Scully and thought I'd share. The article is about a man who tortured babies and children on camera and allegedly posted it for all the world to see, so...fair warning.

https://www.vice.com/read/why-are-people-obsessed-with-the-legendarily-dark-internet-video-dafu-love-923

According to secondhand accounts, the supposed video features a real Australian man living in the Philippines named Peter Scully, who, along with his accomplices, tortures several babies to death. Rumor has it they use a hammer and chisel to break a baby's skull. Rumor has it they disembowel a baby. Rumor has it, they beat two babies together as though they're having a pillow fight, until the impact finally kills them.

Where the hell do you just get enough babies to do this stuff with.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

fun hater posted:

yeah i dont think people were talking about anything from the creepypasta wiki and were probably talking about the article linked in the original post

ahaha scope this weird knockoff on ebay someone tried to sell for 15k pounds

Yeah, but the original article wasn't that scary either. With my eyelids not drooping and full of coffee, this morning all I thought was "okay, a spooky painting and a very-easily-faked video of a 'ghost,' hey but that painting is pretty cool though."

That said, spooky stories, real or fake, are always fun. Keep 'em coming, if you wouldn't mind.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Travis343 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll-lia-FEIY

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Travis343 posted:

The Vice article points to it being made up. (Apparently Creepypasta is the first place it's ever been discussed.)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I've been to Babies R Us and that is not at all what they sell there.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

into the void posted:

The Philippines must be a really poor country if they have to use babies for pillow fights.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

into the void posted:

Rumor has it they're about to give me a billion dollars tax-free and then never contact me again.

this is precisely as likely as any of the other statements

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
The actual stuff Peter Scully is charged with is pretty goddamned bad, so I don't see why people make up stuff. :smithicide:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The sovereign citizen angle makes me unsure whether to post this here or in the scadenfreude thread:

http://www.freep.com/story/news/2016/04/04/feds-man-enslaved-sold-women-he-called-wives/82619500/

quote:

The case started with West Bloomfield police investigating identity-theft crimes but turned into something much bigger when officers from the suburban police department raided the home weeks ago and found a woman chained by the neck to a pole.

They would eventually uncover a sex trafficking operation that, according to federal court documents, worked like this: The man advertised women on the Internet, offering them for sex. Men would show up at his house and pick which one they liked. But they paid the homeowner first — in cash.

The suspect is Ryon Travis, a 32-year-old unemployed Detroit man with seven children — none of whom he has custody of — and four women he claims are his wives. Among them is a 25-year-old woman who, prosecutors allege, was found chained to stripper pole in the living room of his house. When asked why she was chained, Travis told police he was “about to get freaky with her,” court records show.

Travis wound up in chains instead.

At a March 23 detention hearing, at which a judge decided whether to release Travis on bond or lock him up pending trial, a defiant Travis tried to have his lawyer dismissed.

"It is against my religion to be represented by someone of another nation, so I may as well represent myself," Travis said. "I'm a natural-born human of the American land. I choose not to do business with this court. I ask that this case be dismissed."

The judge wouldn't hear of it.

"Your request is denied," Magistrate Judge Mona Majzoub told the defendant.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Phanatic posted:

The sovereign citizen angle makes me unsure whether to post this here or in the scadenfreude thread:

http://www.freep.com/story/news/2016/04/04/feds-man-enslaved-sold-women-he-called-wives/82619500/

That's got to rank up there as pretty high on the satisfaction scale of "request denied" utterances.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Karma Monkey posted:

That's got to rank up there as pretty high on the satisfaction scale of "request denied" utterances.

The only thing better would be getting to tell a convicted rapist that he did not get visitation rights with his rape kid. And as I just found out, yes thats a loving thing.

Eh, gently caress it, it's creepy and unnerving. Here ya go:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/01/us/rapist-child-custody/

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
Apparently, Gay Talese has been in regular contact for several decades with a hotel owner who turned his hotel into a private voyeur preserve. Fifty years after the hotelier installed special vents in the ceilings of his rooms so he could watch - and record in detail - the sexual escapades of his patrons, he is ready to have his story told.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/04/11/gay-talese-the-voyeurs-motel

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Travis343 posted:

I've been to Babies R Us and that is not at all what they sell there.

You can get plenty of stuff their you can use to steal another woman's baby though
http://www.guilfordian.com/archives/2005/02/25/pregnant-woman-attacked-in-unborn-baby-kidnapping-attempt/

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Apparently, Gay Talese has been in regular contact for several decades with a hotel owner who turned his hotel into a private voyeur preserve. Fifty years after the hotelier installed special vents in the ceilings of his rooms so he could watch - and record in detail - the sexual escapades of his patrons, he is ready to have his story told.

This is a pro-click article.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
That article is great.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

This is the pro-est of pro clicks.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

Travis343 posted:

I'm from the Philippines and somewhat aware of the case from the newspapers. I haven't seen his videos (nor do I loving plan to), but from what I've read, he doesn't kill them; he just does some really, really nasty things that are beyond comprehension.

As for the scary answer to your question: The parents volunteer their child for a small sum of money, mostly because they think it's just sex. Little do they know that there's actual torture involved. And the subdivision where he stayed is filled with poor families that have like 9 children per household. I don't know who supplied him with the infant, though. There's a detailed article (I'm too scared to look for it in Google again) about a cop handling the case who said she survived, that just listening to the audio alone was worse enough, and the video was so disturbing, they had to rotate the investigators every month so they won't suffer severe trauma.

Disharmony has a new favorite as of 17:06 on Apr 6, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Phanatic posted:

I thought sovereign citizens were for sparsely populated states that nobody goes to. Figured if we had any in Michigan they'd be in the UP.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He's probably the only non-white sov cit in the world.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This article is amazing.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Jack Gladney posted:

There are a lot of black sovcits in the US, both individuals (Wesley Snipes, that lady who was trying to break her husband out of jail) and groups (Nuwabian Nation, Moorish Nation).

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Apr 6, 2016

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Jack Gladney posted:

It appeals to any marginalized groups, really. Baltimore has a problem with black SovCits.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jack Gladney posted:

This article is amazing.

I can imagine Gay jumping in the air and throwing a celebratory fist pump when Foos said, "I've seen enough," just to perfectly end his piece.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jack Gladney posted:

Well, yeah. When black people do things that sovereign citizens do they get shot, not tasered.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Solice Kirsk posted:

I can imagine Gay jumping in the air and throwing a celebratory fist pump when Foos said, "I've seen enough," just to perfectly end his piece.

"This parking lot is boring."
"Would you say you've seen enough?"
"Yeah, I'm done."
"No, but seriously, could you say it?"

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

This is extraordinary. Thank you for linking it! I've always been a fan of Gay Talese's writing - "Frank Sinatra Has a Cold" was my introduction to literary journalism - and this piece doesn't disappoint at all.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Jack Gladney posted:

This article is amazing.

If by "amazing" you mean "a horrifying example of a writer throwing ethics to the wind in pursuit of an interesting story, then cashing in on violating people's privacy after the statute of limitations had passed so he couldn't be arrested," then sure, yeah.

Wonder how many thousands of people got spied on after Gay Talese heard about it and neglected to call the cops on the guy.

In summary, gently caress Gay Talese, and gently caress everyone in this thread who called this story "amazing" with no mention of the vileness of its content.

ETA: Even more horrifying is the fact that the justification he uses - that it can't hurt people if they don't know about it - is erased by the fact that this story names the hotel and the years it was open, which means anyone who ever had sex there can now lie awake at night wondering whether some old pervert is still jerking off to the memory of watching them have sex.

pookel has a new favorite as of 20:03 on Apr 6, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's p fuckin interesting regardless you weenie

I want to know more about th guy who sat backwards on the toilet

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Sure, it's interesting to read. But Gay Talese should be in prison for participating in this, not getting applause for being such a great writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

pookel posted:

Sure, it's interesting to read. But Gay Talese should be in prison for participating in this, not getting applause for being such a great writer.

I disapprove strongly and also applaud his loving great writing.