Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

nm posted:

You should maybe talk to a doctor about that.

I've had a fairly complete physical before (enough to get a Class 1 flight medical) including an EKG, as well as blood tests and all that, and it's not a new issue so I think it's just a matter of sweating a lot. But perhaps I should ask a doctor about it anyway, because it's actually rather annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

nm posted:

I don't know what your issue with the orginal freeway statement is. I said that it was perfectly fine to limp your vehicle home if you didn't use the freeway in 55. His original statement was that would be a dick move, which I disagree with.
Also, I don't think the bit of highway 1 I'm talking about is the one you're thinking about. Jenner to fort ross is a bunch of tight, blind corners and if you barrel around them too fast you'll hit a rock that fell in the road.
And re: cyclist being bigger dicks, I think that's more of a case of confirmation bias.
When you see a car do something douchy, you think "that person is a dick." When you see a cyclist do somethong douchy, you think "cyclists are dicks." It is fairly normal to otherize the thing that seems different and leads to heightened perception of when the other does somethong wrong.

wolrah posted:

Let's take the bike out of the equation. Say I had a car with a broken transmission. It's stuck in first gear and has lovely cooling so I can't go more than 10-15 MPH for extended periods of time.

I'm still legally allowed to drive this car on almost all public roads aside from highways (which usually have a minimum speed).

If I choose to drive this car on high-speed roads where I know I'll be an obstruction, I'm being a jackass.

I don't see how this differs if you switch the vehicle back to a bike.

As a general rule (and as it should be) lots of things are legal which are still lovely to do. The fact that you're allowed to do something in no way means you're not being a jerk by actually doing it.
In summary: If you know you can't exceed a certain speed, choosing to obstruct vehicles (important distinction from being forced to), while it may not be illegal, is a dick move.

You replied to this and said:

nm posted:

It is quite a bit easier to pass a bike than a car to start with.
Also, there's nothing wrong with limping a car home if you stay off the freeway. Sure you should use turnouts (which I use as well), but that isn't a dick move. Virtually every road outside of the city is a 55mph road, most of which are fairly empty, so it is not really a great idea to banish bikes from "high speed roads."
It takes anywhere from no time to a minute to pass a bike riding in the right tire mark while giving him 3 feet of space. Sorry if I'm not going to loose sleep over that, when one slow car can take 20 minutes to pass safely.
In summary: You can limp your car home if you stay off the freeway (agrees with previous poster), you should use turnouts (yep, and let's say he addresses this by implication - "...where I know I'll be an obstruction ...", etc.), and then you start talking about empty 55mph roads outside the city, which was a pretty wide deviation from anything he posted about. And then, well, when I ride, I use turnouts, so it only takes a minute to pass a bike, so bikes aren't a problem at all.

I wasn't being hyperbolic when I said that I've literally seen one cyclist use a turnout, ever. I should clarify - I used to be a cyclist, so I've also seen myself do it, but I don't think that disproves the point. And while this is anecdotal, it includes well over a million miles of driving and 15 years of experience, primarily in an area with heavy bike traffic, but with a considerable amount spread across the US and Canada. So ... I think I'm safe in saying I've given cyclists ample opportunity to have done it literally more than once.

The original post basically said "don't be a dick and obstruct traffic needlessly", which is exactly what reasonable posters on this issue have said. As I said before, there have been hyperbolic statements about "summary execution" and "banishing" (I've only seen you say that last, though I admit I haven't looked to see if someone else did first), but the vast majority of these posters (myself included) have expressed this:

If you want to ride a bike, have fun. If you want to ride it in traffic lanes, yes, you're legally permitted to do so. However, we'd appreciate if you'd make an effort to not be a dick (use turnouts, don't ride near the center divider at 5mph up a hill in front of a column of 50 cars that could be doing (15, 25, 55, take your pick) when you could be riding near the shoulder to let us pass while giving you 3 feet of space, don't filter to the front only to slowly ride away from a light while obstructing traffic, etc.) and if you'd not have such selective awareness of laws (i.e., yes, you can ride in traffic lanes, but yes, you also have to yield to vehicles per statute / obey traffic signal devices / etc.)

Cyclists and trolls have argued that these statements are unreasonable. (To be clear, I think you're a cyclist, not a troll.)

If you're the type of rider that already does these things, accept that we're not talking about you and have fun and be safe.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 5, 2016

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

InitialDave posted:

You've got wheels, you're on the road, you're a vehicle

So...

I've got wheels of polished steel, I've got tires that grab the road. I've got seats that selflessly hold my friends, and a trunk that can carry the heaviest of loads.

What am I?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

So...

I've got wheels of polished steel, I've got tires that grab the road. I've got seats that selflessly hold my friends, and a trunk that can carry the heaviest of loads.

What am I?

A cake.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The crapfest that has been happening over the last few pages is why I exclusively mountain bike for exercise.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

um excuse me posted:

The crapfest that has been happening over the last few pages is why I exclusively mountain bike for exercise.

If you don't think horse people and hikers hate bikes as much if not more than cars, you're fooling yourself.
I guess they'll have less trouble killing you.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

nm posted:

If you don't think horse people and hikers hate bikes as much if not more than cars, you're fooling yourself.
I guess they'll have less trouble killing you.

They're certainly willing to try

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I yield for horses because the last thing I want to do is spook a horse and have it kill someone or injure itself.

Hikers, I just slow down a bunch and make sure they actually look at me before I pass. Usually a pleasant hello is enough instead of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ22qhe9qMU&t=11s

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 5, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I have had a horse person yell at me for stopping and stepping off the trail. They wanted me to just ride right by (contrary to every other horse rider I've encountered).

Everyone hates everyone who is presently using a different mode of transport (and most of the people using the same mode).

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

nm posted:

I have had a horse person yell at me for stopping and stepping off the trail. They wanted me to just ride right by (contrary to every other horse rider I've encountered).

Everyone hates everyone who is presently using a different mode of transport (and most of the people using the same mode).

When I lived in Denver it was the standard to get off the bike and walk it past horses. Also the city trails are busy there and most cyclists practiced the lost art of calling out before passing pedestrians. "On your left" and that sort of thing.

I can't tell you how many time here in L.A. I've had some dipshit blow past me on the sidewalk close enough to catch at my clothing, no warning of any kind. It's no different than the ones that blast through stop signs as I'm crossing, be they motorized or not. gently caress anyone that gambles with my safety. Take risks with your own, but not mine.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
These are the people you *SHARE* a road with.

SHARE.

You know, because it's not just for you, mr. cyclist, or for you, mr car driver.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The roads are all for me, Mr Motorcyclist, actually.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PCOS Bill posted:

The roads are all for me, Mr Motorcyclist, actually.

Finally, a motorcyclist who's honest about what those "share the road" bumper stickers actually mean :golfclap:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Didn't see this since the latest start of Wheels vs. Walkers Bikes vs. Everyone, so enjoy.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Horse people vs. mountain bikers is a hot war on the trails around here. At least the bikes don't drop mountainous turds in the middle of the trail.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Calling out "on your left" has, in practice, left me with about a 10% chance of getting the person I'm about to pass on a trail to step to the left.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Hargrimm posted:

They're certainly willing to try

JFC what kind of hateful embittered rear end in a top hat do you have to be to set traps to wreck/injure bikers on a bike trail. She should move to the US and marry that fucker who purposely swerves to try to kill passing bikers.

Also, I hate horse people on trails. I'm not crazy about bikers, but they have way better etiquette and control of what they're riding and horse riders always come across as the worst douches. Bikers will at least acknowledge they're sharing a hiking trail with hikers. Horse riders act like they own the whole goddamn park.

Also this:

Javid posted:

At least the bikes don't drop mountainous turds in the middle of the trail.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Horse girls are insane, I can't imagine horse dudes are much better.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

nm posted:

Horse girls are insane, I can't imagine horse dudes are much better.

I guess this is what happens when you have a beloved pet that's also transportation and a major expense (lolinvestment)?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
My own cousin's wife posted this to FB today:

"PSA: Merge when your lane ends. Not sooner. Thank you."

What? Why on earth do you think it's a good idea to wait until the last possible moment to merge? Where does that come from?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This was her driving instructor:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Phanatic posted:

What? Why on earth do you think it's a good idea to wait until the last possible moment to merge? Where does that come from?

She means to zipper merge.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's called zipper merging.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

nm posted:

And re: cyclist being bigger dicks, I think that's more of a case of confirmation bias.
When you see a car do something douchy, you think "that person is a dick." When you see a cyclist do somethong douchy, you think "cyclists are dicks." It is fairly normal to otherize the thing that seems different and leads to heightened perception of when the other does somethong wrong.

I disagree with this statement. I think this happens because, on the whole, drivers are mostly sane. Sure, you see some rear end in a top hat or inattentive moron every time you go out, but that's compared to the hundreds who are mostly doing the right thing. I've been riding my bike to class recently, so I've been paying attention to other cyclists a lot. Out of all the cyclists I see, maybe once a month will I see someone else who is simultaneously:
  • Riding in the bike lane, going the correct direction
  • Wearing a helmet
  • Following traffic laws
The vast, vast, vast majority of cyclists are complete shitheads. Blasting around on the sidewalks, going the wrong way down a one-way street, wobble-ambling into (or just blasting through) an intersection in which they have no right of way, and squidding around with no helmet (usually while doing one of the above). It's terrible.

Phanatic posted:

Can we not do the zipper merging debate again? This happens like every goddamn month :gonk:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bikes AND merging in the same day!

Truly a springtime miracle.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think all bicyclists who want to ride on-road or around other people should have to carry liability insurance at a minimum.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If bicycles ever became a big enough chunk of traffic I'm sure that would happen, but as it is in many places the licensing regulations don't kick in until the vehicle has an engine bigger than 50cc. I think there's a top speed limit to it too.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Build decent bike paths off the road first and that might actually be not a joke.

e: there is a nice market for 49.9cc or whatever 2-stroke engines you can strap onto a mountain bike to make a ghetto moped which I find amazingly hilarious, if you're willing to trade lots of leg burns for 150 mpg @ 30 mph

Javid fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 6, 2016

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

xzzy posted:

If bicycles ever became a big enough chunk of traffic I'm sure that would happen, but as it is in many places the licensing regulations don't kick in until the vehicle has an engine bigger than 50cc. I think there's a top speed limit to it too.

I didn't say anything about licensing.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

xzzy posted:

Bikes AND merging in the same day!

Truly a springtime miracle.

I ride my bicycle with my dog in my lap :colbert:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I know zipper merging is The BestŪ but I drive a black "sporty" car with black wheels and that brings out the jerk in people so I merge earlier than I should.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm a pedestrian and mass transit user these days, and in the last five years I have been hit by 7 cyclists and no cars or motorcycles.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

PCOS Bill posted:

I think all bicyclists who want to ride on-road or around other people should have to carry liability insurance at a minimum.

Good news, renters/home owners insurance covers it. So will auto.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

nm posted:

Good news, renters/home owners insurance covers it. So will auto.

Okay. And there are plenty of people who don't own cars or homes, and think renter's insurance is a waste of money.

Hence making it mandatory.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

PCOS Bill posted:

Okay. And there are plenty of people who don't own cars or homes, and think renter's insurance is a waste of money.

Hence making it mandatory.

Given the rate of uninsured car drivers out on the road where liability insurance is already mandatory, what do you expect to happen if liability insurance becomes required for cyclists? People will stop being self centered shitheads?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Raluek posted:

I disagree with this statement. I think this happens because, on the whole, drivers are mostly sane. Sure, you see some rear end in a top hat or inattentive moron every time you go out, but that's compared to the hundreds who are mostly doing the right thing. I've been riding my bike to class recently, so I've been paying attention to other cyclists a lot. Out of all the cyclists I see, maybe once a month will I see someone else who is simultaneously:
  • Riding in the bike lane, going the correct direction
  • Wearing a helmet
  • Following traffic laws
The vast, vast, vast majority of cyclists are complete shitheads. Blasting around on the sidewalks, going the wrong way down a one-way street, wobble-ambling into (or just blasting through) an intersection in which they have no right of way, and squidding around with no helmet (usually while doing one of the above). It's terrible.

Yeah same here, but it's mainly when I see my own reflection :v:.
Joking aside, basically it comes down to entitlement and thoughtlessness. Mostly the latter. I don't think people think of a bike as more than walking but faster. No clue about how much damage bicycles can do to themselves or other people.

Edit: gently caress it, deleted wall of text since I'm bored of bike / whatever talk.

Actual content: I found it pretty hilarious that when I stopped for 2 crows that politely were waiting / already crossing at a sidewalk, the girl behind me (who already were riding my rear end in a 40km/h zone) raged hard. What do you want me to do, run them over? gently caress you they were cool. It took 5 seconds. Why are people so impatient?

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 6, 2016

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Crows are absolutely the best, they're so smart. Please everyone go youtube crows right now.

Crows : Documentary on The Intelligent World of Crows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGYII1XbE4U

Killstick fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

These are the corvids you share a road with.