Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

for real though dudes get a little upset when you run a pogrom on their cyno alts

they even post to reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/4dj1qf/goon_priorities/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Unfunny Poster posted:

When did you realize you weren't the boss?

I'm not gay enough to be an amazing fleet boss like Jay.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Venom Snake posted:

I'm not gay enough to be an amazing fleet boss like Jay.

not with an attitude like that you're not

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

:frogsiren: :frogsiren:
More big names hopping back into the game.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God dammit BlueMajere....

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Nietzschean posted:

not with an attitude like that you're not

I believe the terminology is "no not believing in yourself"

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Venom Snake posted:

ahh yes the "lol at effort" meme

I believe "made you post" is the buzz-phrase you're looking for

evilweasel posted:

hes in the army now

he asked about the requirements to get into special forces :laffo:

Requires passing a Federal Background Check, acquiring a top secret clearance, passing a psych screening and being in relatively decent shape.

Pretty sure a man that once served several hundred dollars of Kentucky Fried Chicken at a wedding function will be unable to do any of those things; and that's before fun stuff, like Selection, Airborne School, the Q-course and all that secret squirrel nonsense.

SperginMcBadposter posted:

:frogsiren: :frogsiren:
More big names hopping back into the game.

Oh man, things just keep getting better and better.

Xolve fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 6, 2016

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

This thread is bad and I feel like a big dumb idiot for reading it. That is all. Thank you.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

hailthefish posted:

This thread is bad and I feel like a big dumb idiot for reading it. That is all. Thank you.

:pgabz:

Big_Gulps_Huh
Nov 7, 2006
Where are my hooks?
I've been reading a little bit about this here and there for a week or so, but only just saw a post in /r/propagandaposters that made me come find this thread. I am downloading the client now, I'm basically just a newbee but I'm here to help!

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

HoogieChooChoo posted:

I've been reading a little bit about this here and there for a week or so, but only just saw a post in /r/propagandaposters that made me come find this thread. I am downloading the client now, I'm basically just a newbee but I'm here to help!

You are about to be rich as gently caress as soon as we all know your character name.

Big_Gulps_Huh
Nov 7, 2006
Where are my hooks?
I'm actually worried about logging in, how do the logistics work? I'm downloading the client right now, but I don't remember which system I was in when I stopped playing. We had just done a move over to some new system in like Spring of 2014. If I log in and goons don't own the system any more, am I boned?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

HoogieChooChoo posted:

I'm actually worried about logging in, how do the logistics work? I'm downloading the client right now, but I don't remember which system I was in when I stopped playing. We had just done a move over to some new system in like Spring of 2014. If I log in and goons don't own the system any more, am I boned?

you can open petition after coming back from a long absence and have some of your stuff moved to anywhere, as long as it isn't capital ships

Noraboen
Jul 9, 2013

HoogieChooChoo posted:

You can change your home station from the clone interface in a station so even if you do die on the way there you will respawn at your destination. :)

Big_Gulps_Huh
Nov 7, 2006
Where are my hooks?
Sweet. Also, is there a way I can get a short trial on my main account? I want to see if I have enough ISK to get a PLEX (doubt it right now), I think I might have farmed enough to be pretty close at least.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HoogieChooChoo posted:

What is your character name?

We'll get you in a few fleets and have you showered with isk :)

Big_Gulps_Huh
Nov 7, 2006
Where are my hooks?
Deft Horsehands, but I haven't activated my account yet.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Numismancer posted:

So these 'true goons' who fled to Generic Elite Pvp Raiding MMO Guild, Eve Edition are here trying to 40k-hurfshame the CEO Update while simultaneously claiming how oldschool they are?

:cawg:

giv missl

TIL you're no longer a "true goon" if you don't support the quickly crumbling empire of a demagogue which is only collapsing because of bad leadership to begin with. :toot:

But gently caress it it's all internet spaceships and its all good fun.

Numismancer posted:

"Please explain hellwars to me, it seems very serious and emotional compared to a normal spacewar"

these people, god drat

A hellwar is what the imperium is currently fighting, imo.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 6, 2016

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
If the leadership sucked the entire game wouldn't be teaming up to kill us.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Venom Snake posted:

If the leadership sucked the entire game wouldn't be teaming up to kill us.

I think your leadership sort of sucks if they do things which cause the entire game (including your former close allies) to alienate you, switch sides against you, then with the right prodding rise up and attack your space for reasons ostentatiously beyond "good fights." Then, on top of this, mount what could be considered one of the most feeble defenses in modern EVE memory. Maybe you have something saved up for Fade or Deklein though, IDK.

I've been playing for a long, long time, and this kind of vitriol is pretty unprecedented. I was in FIXX and I can still say that.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kimsemus posted:

A hellwar is what the imperium is currently fighting, imo.
I have every confidence that we will deliver the hellwar that has been promised. I do not think it has really begun yet. Whatever may have happened in the past few months fighting with this or that Imperium member entity, the coalition-wide call to arms has only been issued in the past few days and it takes time to stock doctrines. To my knowledge, we've not even had our good FCs showing up to lead and coordinate fights. The Imperium has been awakened, but we are large and slow to stir. So far we've not started rolling out multiple battleship fleets at a time and as many support fleets, and the Imperium today is bigger than the CFC in 2013. I am confident that within a couple of months you will begin to see the activity that you are asking for. If when that time comes the aggressors remain a unified coalition, then the war in the north will definitely be something to write about. But either way, what's more interesting to me is the hellwar to follow. I am far less interested in how GSF and the Imperium handles the next few months and much more interested in how the next couple of years will unfold. I don't believe either you or I were playing in the time of The Great War. Mittani was, and so were a lot of OG folks coming back for the promise of another.

All we can do is wait and see, huh?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Nietzschean posted:

I have every confidence that we will deliver the hellwar that has been promised. I do not think it has really begun yet. Whatever may have happened in the past few months fighting with this or that Imperium member entity, the coalition-wide call to arms has only been issued in the past few days and it takes time to stock doctrines. To my knowledge, we've not even had our good FCs showing up to lead and coordinate fights. The Imperium has been awakened, but we are large and slow to stir. So far we've not started rolling out multiple battleship fleets at a time and as many support fleets, and the Imperium today is bigger than the CFC in 2013. I am confident that within a couple of months you will begin to see the activity that you are asking for. If when that time comes the aggressors remain a unified coalition, then the war in the north will definitely be something to write about. But either way, what's more interesting to me is the hellwar to follow. I am far less interested in how GSF and the Imperium handles the next few months and much more interested in how the next couple of years will unfold. I don't believe either you or I were playing in the time of The Great War. Mittani was, and so were a lot of OG folks coming back for the promise of another.

All we can do is wait and see, huh?

I've been playing since 2003, I was in FIXX for a lot of the BoB stuff and the goon performance (at least the second time around) was impressive.

I feel like it doesn't take this long to get your doctrines and poo poo sorted when fighting on your own turf. LSV had no warning whatsoever about this war, so did a lot of the other alliances involved, yet we've had no problem getting our doctrines and ships and FCs going with a capacity to wage war that is arguably inferior to what the imperium has proven capable of doing. I think it's just a matter of motivation and the imperium so far has been found somewhat wanting in that regard. Unless you simply plan on retaking your space from lowsec or NPC null as opposed to defending what you currently have, which I suppose is a strategy.

I think you threw everything you had available except for cap escalations into the M-O area fight, but I think that the fozziesov poo poo just doesn't favor defensive action in space without high ADMs which I haven't encountered thus far. I will 100% admit I have no perspective or knowledge of how the imperium plans to prosecute this war going forward or what their plan is, I just know we're running over a lot of space really quickly and haven't really been checked anywhere. Either you're holding out for something amazing or you're just gassed out.

I also think because of a bevvy of rhetoric, a lot of line members in the imperium vastly underestimate both the capabilities and motivations of a lot of MBC members. Just my opinion though.

I really want to just go back to beating up 100 man lowsec alliances for R64s though, the political and metagame intrigue of null is exhausting and seems really silly in perspective.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 6, 2016

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Kimsemus posted:

I think your leadership sort of sucks if they do things which cause the entire game (including your former close allies) to alienate you, switch sides against you, then with the right prodding rise up and attack your space for reasons ostentatiously beyond "good fights."

Thats like the greatest pvp mmo achievement ever. And the best defense is a good offense and its hard to go offensive on all the cowards that dropped everything when fozziesov hit, we'll see what happens when you put down some ihubs.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kimsemus posted:

I think your leadership sort of sucks if they do things which cause the entire game (including your former close allies) to alienate you, switch sides against you, then with the right prodding rise up and attack your space for reasons ostentatiously beyond "good fights." Then, on top of this, mount what could be considered one of the most feeble defenses in modern EVE memory. Maybe you have something saved up for Fade or Deklein though, IDK.

I've been playing for a long, long time, and this kind of vitriol is pretty unprecedented. I was in FIXX and I can still say that.

Causing the entire game to hate us has been like objective one since the first goon was created from a freak experiment combining trash with human DNA

edit: i think it also gets looked over a lot we have the russians helping out now to and Elite PvP Fleet Commander of White Legion Elo Knight

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

crew posted:

Thats like the greatest pvp mmo achievement ever. And the best defense is a good offense and its hard to go offensive on all the cowards that dropped everything when fozziesov hit, we'll see what happens when you put down some ihubs.

I think this is fine and good, I definitely like goonwaffe a lot more than most anyone in MBC with intentions of holding sov null. I'll go back to lowsec with LSV and just cherish the memories. I would rather enjoy it if, for instance, NCDOT retook Tribute and you guys took it right back.

I think I posted a few pages ago about it, but I like the imperium a lot more by a wide margin than most of the people I'm currently blue with.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Kimsemus posted:

I've been playing for a long, long time, and this kind of vitriol is pretty unprecedented.

Not really no. The TEST war was just as vitriolic, it's just the piss and vinegar effect wears off over the years.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Rhymenoserous posted:

Not really no. The TEST war was just as vitriolic, it's just the piss and vinegar effect wears off over the years.

It's sort of funny but I keep forgetting TEST exists. :v:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Venom Snake posted:

Causing the entire game to hate us has been like objective one since the first goon was created from a freak experiment combining trash with human DNA

edit: i think it also gets looked over a lot we have the russians helping out now to and Elite PvP Fleet Commander of White Legion Elo Knight

I wouldn't really put my faith into a racist who tried to make his alliance tag 1488 over some of the other FCs in CFC/Imperium. Especially when some of the latter crew have a better track record than the former.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yeah, I made a banner ad basically saying "want to shoot pedophile defenders? join GoonFleet today!" or something along those lines.

It got some of the Reddit diehards really mad.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Unfunny Poster posted:

I wouldn't really put my faith into a racist who tried to make his alliance tag 1488 over some of the other FCs in CFC/Imperium. Especially when some of the latter crew have a better track record than the former.

he might, maybe, perhaps, have been facetious

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Kimsemus posted:

I've been playing since 2003, I was in FIXX for a lot of the BoB stuff and the goon performance (at least the second time around) was impressive.

Well I guess that's it for your credibility, FIXX was pretty trash-tier (and got smacked around a lot).

You're pretty dumb thinking that this will be anything near the end of GSF, and that although these fights now will matter, they're not critical.

In 2010 Goons lost everything. Like I mean everything, the alliance was closed, the main corp was gone, everyone was kicked, alliance assets were taken; all that remained were the forums, jabber, and teamspeak. LODRA (the new alliance) then tried to invade CR and basically got nowhere, and there was internal drama and pubbie witchhunts. Participation sucked, nobody had any resources, and LODRA ended up on TCF's couch in Venal.

Over the next 5 years GSF/the CFC became the biggest and best-organized coalition EVE has seen, and had basically five years of straight winning. This is the group that prettymuch won the nullsec game twice.

Even though Mittani is a pseudointelligent, longwinded douchebag, he has prioritized building alliance infrastructure and securing long-term resources. Even though a bureaucratic leader might not be what GSF really needs right now, having such stable and committed leadership has meant that GSF has insane resources. I don't really know what the number of active supers is in GSF, but back when I got mine (which was early 2011) they were being pumped out at an obscene rate, and that was just when the alliance was starting to seriously prioritize them. Even if everything falls apart in the next few months, I can guarantee you that GSF will be back in some way, unless eve actually shuts down.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Venom Snake posted:

it's really weird that as much as we (goons) have been hated, a lot of eve seems to have tried to emulate the culture/attitude

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

vyst posted:

Wouldn't be a thread without a lovely Garnt hole squad woe is me post

I'll tone it down.

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 6, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

he might, maybe, perhaps, have been facetious

I realize that but I also wanted to call Elo out for his dumb poo poo. :mad:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Unfunny Poster posted:

I'm not putting my faith in Elo, I was making a joke about him. I'm not really sure anyone in this plane of reality likes Elo.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

RhoA posted:

:eyepop:

Hope all is well buddy.

All is well. Still on your research year?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Landsknecht posted:

Well I guess that's it for your credibility, FIXX was pretty trash-tier (and got smacked around a lot).

You're pretty dumb thinking that this will be anything near the end of GSF, and that although these fights now will matter, they're not critical.

In 2010 Goons lost everything. Like I mean everything, the alliance was closed, the main corp was gone, everyone was kicked, alliance assets were taken; all that remained were the forums, jabber, and teamspeak. LODRA (the new alliance) then tried to invade CR and basically got nowhere, and there was internal drama and pubbie witchhunts. Participation sucked, nobody had any resources, and LODRA ended up on TCF's couch in Venal.

Over the next 5 years GSF/the CFC became the biggest and best-organized coalition EVE has seen, and had basically five years of straight winning. This is the group that prettymuch won the nullsec game twice.

Even though Mittani is a pseudointelligent, longwinded douchebag, he has prioritized building alliance infrastructure and securing long-term resources. Even though a bureaucratic leader might not be what GSF really needs right now, having such stable and committed leadership has meant that GSF has insane resources. I don't really know what the number of active supers is in GSF, but back when I got mine (which was early 2011) they were being pumped out at an obscene rate, and that was just when the alliance was starting to seriously prioritize them. Even if everything falls apart in the next few months, I can guarantee you that GSF will be back in some way, unless eve actually shuts down.

I have asserted literally none of the things you've alluded to me asserting but agreed FIXX was pretty terrible. I did sort of figure out how to play in FIXX which was nice though.

But I also think it's sort of silly to say these fights aren't critical when by anyone's definition they are, and if you were winning you would say they were. Thank you for the history lesson I was 100% present for though.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

scandoslav posted:

Pretty drat well. Still on your research year?

Almost done man, back to rotations in two months. Time to get my internal medicine on.

Aurainsoph
Nov 5, 2009
What's the name of the ship(s) us n00bs should be aiming for to have the biggest impact both in the large scale fights and the smaller skirmishes/scouting? From the skill guide, it seems like it would be something Gallente.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kimsemus posted:

I feel like it doesn't take this long to get your doctrines and poo poo sorted when fighting on your own turf. LSV had no warning whatsoever about this war, so did a lot of the other alliances involved, yet we've had no problem getting our doctrines and ships and FCs going with a capacity to wage war that is arguably inferior to what the imperium has proven capable of doing. I think it's just a matter of motivation and the imperium so far has been found somewhat wanting in that regard. Unless you simply plan on retaking your space from lowsec or NPC null as opposed to defending what you currently have, which I suppose is a strategy.

I think you threw everything you had available except for cap escalations into the M-O area fight, but I think that the fozziesov poo poo just doesn't favor defensive action in space without high ADMs which I haven't encountered thus far. I will 100% admit I have no perspective or knowledge of how the imperium plans to prosecute this war going forward or what their plan is, I just know we're running over a lot of space really quickly and haven't really been checked anywhere. Either you're holding out for something amazing or you're just gassed out.

I also think because of a bevvy of rhetoric, a lot of line members in the imperium vastly underestimate both the capabilities and motivations of a lot of MBC members. Just my opinion though.

I really want to just go back to beating up 100 man lowsec alliances for R64s though, the political and metagame intrigue of null is exhausting and seems really silly in perspective.

I did not know you'd been around that long, so sorry about that.

I'm sure you can find mirrors and screenshots of the goonfleet forums if you try, and so I'm equally sure you're aware of how our current doctrines are actually in flux. If not, then even just the comments made in this thread are a good enough indicator: we just a couple days ago announced a new battleship doctrine (what's old is new again), and the parallels to the ramp-up to Fountain 2013 are pretty striking: afk FCs and line members slowly trickling back to the game, a bloated empire that had been fielding faction battleships transitioning to more reliable and easily sourced alternatives, PL hanging a Sword of Damocles over the theatre while NCdot, TEST, et al crow about how great they are on Reddit, and so on. Why does it take so damned long for the Imperium to spool up for this? I dunno. I've not been space important enough to be privy to the details of our pre-war huddles, but apparently it's a thing. Perhaps it's part of the Fabian Strategy that Mittani mentioned in the CEO update. Your guess is as good as mine.

But for whatever reason, a significant wind-up clearly does and has existed for the CFC/Imperium in the lead-up to concerted war efforts; and, those wars have generally been won over the course of the past six years that I've been playing with Goonswarm. Will this time be different? Perhaps. Regardless of the current conflict, the thing that strikes my interest is the promised New Great War, the grudgefuck hellwar against the various entities who have invaded us and challenged us to do something about it. I, at least, was not around for The Great War, but if we deliver on Mittani's promise, and I hope we do, then I'm looking forward to seeing this new iteration.

And of course, I'll be there to lead Siege Fleet as we burn down every destructible asset we can find if so. If not? Then, well, I guess I'll come back a few months in the future and admit to having believed a lie. Until then, there's nothing to do but wait and see.

• Locked thread