Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I buy 100% at my FLGS because X-Wing is a cheap hobby and I've only met 3 or 4 people who play who I'd allow in my house.

They sell at 10% under MSRP and have a great rewards program so the difference between online shopping and FLGS is small for me, which helps a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Some Numbers posted:

Even for the mid-tier large ships, the difference between 18 and 30+tax is pretty big.

It doesn't help that my state has a 10% sales tax.

Ah yeah, large ships are more of a burden as well. I'm just restricting myself to fighters because if I wanted large ships I have Armada for that.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Eimi posted:

Ah yeah, large ships are more of a burden as well. I'm just restricting myself to fighters because if I wanted large ships I have Armada for that.

Can you play the Falcon and the other large-base X-Wing ships in Armada?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Can you play the Falcon and the other large-base X-Wing ships in Armada?

Not the X Wing versions, but yes the Falcon, generic YT-1300, Raider and Corvette are in Armada. (The Raider sucks.)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

alg posted:

I buy 100% at my FLGS because X-Wing is a cheap hobby and I've only met 3 or 4 people who play who I'd allow in my house.

They sell at 10% under MSRP and have a great rewards program so the difference between online shopping and FLGS is small for me, which helps a lot.

Pretty much exactly this. My FLGC is £2 to £4 cheaper per item than anywhere else I've seen for x-wing stuff.

They make it up by charging a cover charge for playing, but I don't really mind that.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Eimi posted:

Not the X Wing versions, but yes the Falcon, generic YT-1300, Raider and Corvette are in Armada. (The Raider sucks.)

Heck most of the large base ships are in armada as squadrons. Also the gr75 and gozanti are in next wave

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

Heck most of the large base ships are in armada as squadrons. Also the gr75 and gozanti are in next wave

Yeah the X Wing relevent ships in armada are of course; X/Luke/Wedge, Y/Dutch, A/Tychu, B/Keyan, YT-2400/Dash, HWK/Jan, Tie/Howl/Mithel, Bomber/Rhymer, Int/Soontir, Advanced/Vader, Firespray/Boba, JM5k/Dengar, YV666/Bosk, Aggressor/IG88

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

alg posted:

I guess it's a cheap hobby. By that I mean my wallet only cried a little bit when I dropped 70 something bucks on a Jumpman 5K and Moist Hunter the other day at my FLGS.

Could be worse. I could still be playing and actively buying GW minis. Thankfully I only occasionally buy a book or two from them a year now instead.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Some Numbers posted:

Though weirdly, that same FLGS has an online store and they sell small ships for 10.50 there.

What that is is usually an FLGS trying to dump stock on the internet.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

AndyElusive posted:

I guess it's a cheap hobby. By that I mean my wallet only cried a little bit when I dropped 70 something bucks on a Jumpman 5K and Moist Hunter the other day at my FLGS.

Could be worse. I could still be playing and actively buying GW minis. Thankfully I only occasionally buy a book or two from them a year now instead.

70 bucks is like 3 hours of shooting guns at a range. Its like 4 holes of golf at a municipal golf course. Its one dinner for two. Etc

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

$70 is dinner for two?! Holy crap, I'm glad I have inexpensive tastes.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

AndyElusive posted:

Cheapness is relative, but compared to a lot of tabletop minis games Xwing is practically thrifty.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

alg posted:

70 bucks is like 3 hours of shooting guns at a range. Its like 4 holes of golf at a municipal golf course. Its one dinner for two. Etc

What the gently caress kind of golf course charges per hole.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I play Warmahordes and 15 bucks is the average infintry solo that makes up 2-3 out of a 50 point army and requires filing, pinning, gluing, priming, basing, and at least 3 or 4 paint steps and an ink wash before its as table-ready as a wang out of the box.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Some Numbers posted:

$70 is dinner for two?! Holy crap, I'm glad I have inexpensive tastes.

"Hey girl, order whatever you like. It doesn't even have to be from the cheap side of the menu. It is your birthday after all. I recommend the Doritos Locos taco box with Baja Blast Mountain Dew"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

canyoneer posted:

"Hey girl, order whatever you like. It doesn't even have to be from the cheap side of the menu. It is your birthday after all. I recommend the Doritos Locos taco box with Baja Blast Mountain Dew"

This is a cost of living thing, I can get a full on dinner for two at the really good authentic Thai place complete with appetizers, drinks, and dessert for like $40.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Otisburg posted:

I play Warmahordes and 15 bucks is the average infintry solo that makes up 2-3 out of a 50 point army and requires filing, pinning, gluing, priming, basing, and at least 3 or 4 paint steps and an ink wash before its as table-ready as a wang out of the box.

Yeah kinda can't ignore that. I'm starting to dip my toe into some hobby aspects, but not having to go whole hog, getting a gorgeous mini, and a great game is...nice.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

If you pay a lot for Thai food you hosed up

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

alg posted:

Unless you're buying a lot of it which I may or may not have done on occasion.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Some Numbers posted:

The T-70 is really really good.

Otisburg posted:

Yes. T-70 is a good space plane and comes with a nice mod for both X-Wings.

K-Wing comes with Miranda, who is solid, and 2 copies of TLT, which is arguably the best turret in the game.

Eimi posted:

Red Ace(T-70) is really fun and cool if you're like me and into tanky things. Miranda(K-Wing) is in that same vein, she comes with an ability to either sacrifice a shield to throw another die, or throw one less die to regen a shield. And the K Wing has a natural turret and turret slot, so it's very Twin Linked Laser Turret friendly. I haven't used Ello Asty, the other T-70 ace, but he looks fun because you can just do the special turn the T-70 has constantly while unstressed.

Sweet. I'll order them. Any other good Rebel ships I should look at?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Travic posted:

Sweet. I'll order them. Any other good Rebel ships I should look at?

What do you have?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
You need two more X-wings so you can run Thread-Approved XXX.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Some Numbers posted:

What do you have?

I actually have a fair number of ships, I just don't know what I'm doing yet.

Both Core sets
YT-2400
E-wing
A-Wing
Rebel Aces

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Maybe one or two Z-95 Headhunters. They're good filler options.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

You should be able to make a number of really solid lists out of what you already have.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Tacopocalypse posted:

Maybe one or two Z-95 Headhunters. They're good filler options.

Thanks. I'll give them a look.

Some Numbers posted:

You should be able to make a number of really solid lists out of what you already have.

Cool. I've made a few teams and played with a friend, but I'm still learning.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Travic posted:

I actually have a fair number of ships, I just don't know what I'm doing yet.

Both Core sets
YT-2400
E-wing
A-Wing
Rebel Aces

Here's the beginnings of a decent Dash/Corran list you can make with what you have. There are five points left over for whatever upgrades you can throw in there too.

Dash Rendar (36)
Lone Wolf (2)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Outrider (5)

Corran Horn (35)
Push the Limit (3)
Advanced Sensors (3)
R2-D2 (4)

Total: 95

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Another tournament is this Sunday at my local store.

I'm trying to decide if I'm up for it, since I know the meta's going to be a ton of jump-masters and ghosts, and from my experience their not really super fun to fly against. Also, I haven't gotten a chance to play much lately so I feel a bit out of practice and I'm just going to sink $10 again.

I like to play, but I figure I can play for free at the weekly x-wing nights.

Also, if I do fly, I'm wondering if it's a bad idea to fly what I did last time (Keyan and Han) since despite getting 6th place out of 8, the two matches I lost were pretty close (I'm pretty sure I'd won the first if I had red boosted the first turn with Keyan and not forgotten to use a few ability things, and with a little better flying the 2nd loss was fairly close as well.)

Any good tips for types of builds to run that might work alright, or at least types of builds I shouldn't try with this new meta?

I have:
Falcon, A-Wing, 2x X-Wing T-70 X-Wing, B-Wing and HWK-290 for rebels

Tiex4, Tie/FOx3, Interceptorx2, Advanced and Phantom for Imps.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Endman posted:

Here's the beginnings of a decent Dash/Corran list you can make with what you have. There are five points left over for whatever upgrades you can throw in there too.

Dash Rendar (36)
Lone Wolf (2)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Outrider (5)

Corran Horn (35)
Push the Limit (3)
Advanced Sensors (3)
R2-D2 (4)

Total: 95

Oh wow thanks. I'll give that a shot.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

alg posted:

This is empirical fact

kingcom posted:

What the gently caress kind of golf course charges per hole.

A loving bad one - albeit typing this out now I realized I'm thinking of mini-golf

So I played more of the Lone Wolf Luke list at the other store league I play in (Atomic Empire), and I went 3-0 again, 2-0 for league matches. Opponents were a Dengar/Manaroo build that was purely casual, a 5x TIEs list that was Mauler Mithel, Backstabber, Soontir Fel and two Black Squaddies, and then a Inquisitor/Howlrunner/Vader/Scourge list. So far, IRL, the list is undefeated, but I've played against a grand total of two other Rebel lists, which is disheartening. Oh well.

Five TIEs Burgers and Fries
He set up Soontir split wide and I chased him with the alpha strike. He crippled the Gray Squaddie, but not before his Soontir ate two stress, which meant that Luke's Proton Torpedoes blew him out on the next shooting turn. The Zs struggled to find a good opportunity to fire their missiles, but they wound up getting Backstabber down. Then a Z died. Trading 1:1 with a list that has more ships than you is worrisome, albeit I had some stone cold dice. Managed to primary down the Black Squaddies with Luke and the other Z, but the other Z died in the process, leaving Mauler Mithel to fight against Lone Wolf Luke Skywalker by himself. It looked close, but with Luke undamaged and flying free, ANH took the win without much fanfare. Lone Wolf Luke total damage: 0

Vader 'n Pals
Another guy who stepped to the champ without knowing how Proton Torpedoes, Lone Wolf, and Guidance Chips work together on Luke Skywalker. Blew up Howlrunner on shooting turn 1. Vader ate stress, and then he picked on the poor 'hog, who played blocker and dealt some damage to Scourge with his primary before dying. The Zs fired their missiles into the TAP and crippled him - dealt him the "turns are red" crit, which is super bad for the Inquisitor - but he got off without dying, at least. Vader got picked off by Luke after he lost his ability to take actions. With one of the Zs looking like he was in a bad way, Skywalker flew to the rescue, sacrificing his Lone Wolf bonus to play hero pilot, and finished off the TAP. With just a dinged Scourge staring down the barrel of two Zs and an untouched Luke Skywalker, he scooped. 100-28. Lone Wolf Luke total damage: 0

People are ignoring Luke Skywalker when they fly against my list, electing to go straight after the Y-Wing and killing him. It isn't a bad strategy - over the long game, the Y-Wing represents probably the clearest threat to most lists, cranking out consistent damage and having 8EHP - but it doesn't work if you're going to just let Mr. Skywalker punch you in the teeth for two crits plus stuff. It's just devastating to most in-meta ships, and it needs to be reckoned with. Luke only got shot at once in my two league games, and he Evaded the damage.

My mission priorities, on the other hand, are always "kill the lame discretionary-moves dodgers first, while I have my big guns up." I absolutely have no problem sacrificing material to get Fel, or the TAP, or Vader. Every list using boost/broll movehax as their crutch tends to falter when that specific ship dies - ace + Black Crack in particular, though I think that's a really bad matchup for my list in general. The things I think I'm going to struggle with most are like, Fel/TAP/whatever, or Black Crack swarms, and the like. I like my chances against most everything else. Too bad Imp Aces is played by literally everyone locally. :/

Still, the list is performing at a clip that is entirely unsustainable. Eventually it will crash back down to Earth, but for now, I think we just ride high on the undefeated IRL record and show off the alt-art Luke Skywalker.

Brief aside: on the AE forums I post here and there essentially either just strategy articles or as a wrestling heel, basically just cutting promos and acting like a kayfabe jerk. Most other people get it, but some don't, and so I wind up having to clarify that I'm being facetious. To really nail the point home, Brunas bought a cheapie WWE plastic championship belt, and I wore it tonight during all my matches. Next week, I'm going to make sure I come in with John Cena's theme music blasting out of a bluetooth speaker behind me, have the girlfriend dress like my wrestling manager, have a good time with it.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
My FLGS has all of their in-store stuff marked 30% lower than MSRP. The ships are at least 10 and change, I got Slave 1 for 18. They are part of a large chain of stores so that helps in buying a lot to bring the prices down. It's also great because they're ten minutes from where I live and it isn't a shifty place.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

So, not sure how much advices you guys can offer, but I have an awesome idea for something to give serious table appeal to demos and events:

-3x3' MDF board, built up with air-dry clay, fine sand, micromachines AT-AT in almost the perfect scale/X-wing models to look like a section of Jakku with rolling dunes and rocky plateus covered with decades-old battle detritus. The centerpiece would be a crashed Imperial Goddamned Raider. Everything painted and weathered to look cool and good.
-3'3' Plexiglass board, set on top of this by 4 6", with clear acrylic dowels (not sure where to source these)
-3-4 of the plateus on the board completely squared off about 6" high to be flush with the plexiglass, with the tops sculpted seperately so that they can be obstacles that can be put on top of the plateus over the game board for presentation, or removed for a clean game state when ships maneuver through/overlap.

For budget and portability, since I would mainly want it for demos, maybe go down to 24"X24". Plexiglass/clear acrylic sheets are not cheap.

Any suggestions for this project?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Otisburg posted:

So, not sure how much advices you guys can offer, but I have an awesome idea for something to give serious table appeal to demos and events:

-3x3' MDF board, built up with air-dry clay, fine sand, micromachines AT-AT in almost the perfect scale/X-wing models to look like a section of Jakku with rolling dunes and rocky plateus covered with decades-old battle detritus. The centerpiece would be a crashed Imperial Goddamned Raider. Everything painted and weathered to look cool and good.
-3'3' Plexiglass board, set on top of this by 4 6", with 6" dowels
-3-4 of the plateus on the board completely squared off about 6" high to be flush with the plexiglass, with the tops sculpted seperately so that they can be obstacles that can be put on top of the plateus over the game board for presentation, or removed for a clean game state when ships maneuver through/overlap.

For budget and portability, since I would mainly want it for demos, maybe go down to 24"X24". Plexiglass/clear acrylic sheets are not cheap.

I don't know if this is where you got the idea but I've seen Crimson Skies tables done this way and it's very striking, but it's also a thing that requires some logistics in terms of transport and assembly unless you're simply intending to keep it in one place. If you do this I hope you intend to take pictures along the way.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
You might wanna start with looking up some plans or videos for building shadow box tables.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Otisburg posted:

-3'3' Plexiglass board, set on top of this by 4 6", with clear acrylic dowels (not sure where to source these)

Man that see through plexiglass is going to cost you an arm and a leg.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

the panacea posted:

Man that see through plexiglass is going to cost you an arm and a leg.

I'll trade the shop foreman the secret to transparent aluminum for it.

But yeah it's kind of got me scaling back my plans to 24"X24" which should be plenty satisfying enough for a quick demo game.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Not really that bad, though, especially considering one of the other components is an Epic ship.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

Not really that bad, though, especially considering one of the other components is an Epic ship.

Eh, little difference between sitting on the shelf by itself as a display piece vs. as a component in an awesome diorama to show off.

I'll try to make a weekend of the project and have it finished up for a demo on the FLGS' tabletop gameday on the 30th.

I'll use these builds for the demo:

Resistance
Poe Dameron (31)
Cool Hand (1)
BB-8 (2)
Weapons Guidance (2)

"Red Ace" (29)
Targeting Astromech (2)
Comm Relay (3)

Total: 70

First Order
"Zeta Leader" (20)
Wired (1)
Weapons Guidance (2)

"Zeta Ace" (18)

"Epsilon Ace" (17)

Epsilon Squadron Pilot (15)

Total: 73

Can have 2 player demos by just taking Poe vs Zeta Squadron Element, or up to 4 with 2 players playing 1 T70 each and 2 playing a 2-ship element of /fo's each. Everything is from either the core set or a TFA expansion so they game they take home somewhat resembles what they demoed, and there are some basic interactions to teach 'em about action economy, initiative, synergies, and stuff without being overwhelming.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 6, 2016

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
Han Solo (46)
Predator (3)
C-3PO (3)
Gunner (5)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Millennium Falcon (1)

Luke Skywalker (28)
Lone Wolf (2)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
R2-D2 (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Total: 100

It just feels so right to be running Han, Luke, and the droids. Even more so that Luke's MO is to gently caress off to do his own thing and then swoop in to save the day (or not). Only things I'm tempted to change are Gunner to Chewie, and guidance chimps to integrated astro so I can lose R2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

DKD posted:

It just feels so right to be running Han, Luke, and the droids. Even more so that Luke's MO is to gently caress off to do his own thing and then swoop in to save the day (or not). Only things I'm tempted to change are Gunner to Chewie, and guidance chimps to integrated astro so I can lose R2.

You're gonna get such a good comp score for this one.

https://www.captionbot.ai/

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 6, 2016

• Locked thread