Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

ImPureAwesome posted:

Man corruption gets expensive. As the ottos trying for sultan of rum, I took a bunch of a largish Crimea (~80% oe) to snake to Russia and to stem my corruption gain it takes 30 ducats alone till I core. Course then Russia Dows me immediately after I moved most my army back west to deal with rebs so it's difficult to core :/

You don't need to do this. It's fine to let corruption tick up when you have uncored/unconverted provinces. Don't use your entire budget on making one relatively unimportant number stay at 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

thatdarnedbob posted:

You don't need to do this. It's fine to let corruption tick up when you have uncored/unconverted provinces. Don't use your entire budget on making one relatively unimportant number stay at 0.

I guess I don't know know dangerous it is, so I've just been trying to keep it at zero so I can ignore it. the ottos are so rich, this is the first time it's becoming a major issue

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Pakled posted:

As much as possible, usually. Diploannexing a vassal costs diplo power and gives you cores on all of its land. Generally, diplo power is less valuable than admin power. So diploannexing means it takes a longer to incorporate the land into your empire, but in the meantime you'll have a vassal who'll contribute more troops to your wars than you'd get out of directly owning their provinces and you can use your admin points on more important things.

Diplo annexing takes like 30 years to fully integrate them doesn't it?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
That's a pretty buff Muscovy for 1477. :stare:

I'm a custom Ireland, so I had nothing to do with this.

EDIT: Also, I love the trust system. I helped England kick the poo poo out of Burgundy, and now I'm just a few years from 80 trust. Hopefully this will keep England from trying to kick my poo poo in. I can be the Portugal to their Spain.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Zotix posted:

Depends on the size of the vassal and various modifiers.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Zotix posted:

It's based on their development/your diplomatic reputation, and a few other things like shared culture. A smallish country can be integrated in 5 years. Integrating France could take 30 years if you didn't have a lot of diplo reputation.

Edit: Just thought I'd add the numbers since I couldn't remember them offhand:

Base is +2, +1 for same culture, +1 for same religion, and +1 for each point of diplo rep (could be negative). Those are diplo points you spend every month, so if you're sitting at 1 diplo point and only make 3 a month or something, you obviously won't spend more than that per month. Each point of vassal development costs 8 diplo points to annex/integrate.

Let's say you're same culture and religion as France you have +1 diplomatic reputation and you're making 5 diplo points a month. France starts with around 400 development. At the start of the game it would take ([400x8]/5/12)= ~53 years to integrate them. The -25% reduction in influence ideas would take a big chunk out, as well as admin efficiency. There are a couple other NIs that help with that too.

Anyway, long story short. Vassal feeding and then annexing is pretty useful to save admin points and spend diplo instead. Marches are also actually quite powerful too though, so keep them in mind. You won't annex them (usually) though. My last couple games I've had marches with 80K + troops. Just like having a really powerful ally that's always going to help.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 6, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Pakled posted:

As much as possible, usually. Diploannexing a vassal costs diplo power and gives you cores on all of its land. Generally, diplo power is less valuable than admin power. So diploannexing means it takes a longer to incorporate the land into your empire, but in the meantime you'll have a vassal who'll contribute more troops to your wars than you'd get out of directly owning their provinces and you can use your admin points on more important things.

also don't have to deal with revolts

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Also, what makes development go up? Does it just get better with time/ tech? I mean aside from manually spending monarch points. Are non European nations just stuck with a bunch of 10 development territories?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Zotix posted:

Also, what makes development go up? Does it just get better with time/ tech? I mean aside from manually spending monarch points. Are non European nations just stuck with a bunch of 10 development territories?

There are lots of events that will add a point or two here, maybe subtract a point or two as well. It only goes up otherwise by manually raising it. It can get cheaper to raise with development efficiency, some ideas, and there is a building, but yeah. You'll notice the AI pump it up a little bit, especially in smaller nations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Fintilgin posted:

That's a pretty buff Muscovy for 1477. :stare:

EDIT: Also, I love the trust system. I helped England kick the poo poo out of Burgundy, and now I'm just a few years from 80 trust. Hopefully this will keep England from trying to kick my poo poo in. I can be the Portugal to their Spain.

give them a tiny subsidy for min amount of time

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Why even add this fucker if you can't be bothered to give it non-generic ideas? All of the new African tags got either new group ideas or unique ones.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
After a few hours of playing through the new expansion I'm not sure what, if anything, it has added in terms of fun/new content. I started playing with Morocco to check out raiding and it's kind of neat to sweep through coastal provinces every ten years: it translates to a few hundred gold on a timer you have to watch out for. I also tried a Fetishist custom nation in southern Africa and I noticed that my "Great Council" event bugged and would appear every month and let me boost my diplo points to absurd levels early on. Fetishism isn't near as interesting or involved as the religions they've added in the past.

With Morocco I had the opportunity to try out espionage ideas and I'm not sure the opening idea "Study Technology" works correctly. Also I didn't think the current fabricate system needed a change, but the new system does introduce counterplay and the ability to rapidly fabricate all available claims... So that's at least one neat feature added. I, like everyone, am ambivalent to the addition of corruption and the new states/territories system seems to be one more unnecessary system to micromanage.

I didn't dislike Cossacks and I don't usually go negative on Paradox titles. My first impression of Mare Nostrom is that it seems to add more bugs than features and what features it does add feel, at best, mediocre and at worst, unnecessary.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 6, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I like the overall concept of states and territories; but I think it penalizes particular parts of the world quite badly. Each potential State corresponds to a geographical Area, which is usually 3-6 provinces.

The Americas, Africa, much of Asia, and other areas have a large number of low-development provinces. Nations in those areas seem to be at a disadvantage since the new state/territories system is effectively a cap on how many zero-autonomy provinces you can have.

That is, being able to maintain 15 states in Europe is a LOT more powerful than 15 states in much of the rest of the world.

Edit: since states/territories are essentially based on number of provinces rather than development, it disadvantages nations in the parts of the world that have many low-development provinces.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 6, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I don't know why the starting number of possible states is so damned high. You'd think it would start small and then increase as you moved through Admin tech or government levels or something.

Definite good things in this patch:

• Lithuania got hit hard by the nerf bat, and now France reigns by a large margin in the total development category in 1444. I maintain it should probably be the Ottomans in top spot already, but they got there real quick in my game anyway.
  • Little OPMs now try to spend their money, and will even send gifts to the player if they are fighting people they don't like (I think anyway. I'm England, fighting France, all the HRE OPMs keep sending 25-45 ducat gifts, and it's quite helpful.
  • Austria seems to be in less of a hurry to conquer the whole HRE.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
The ai seem to be actually using guarantees as well which was weird seeing Russia guarantee Crimea presumably against the tag team of me and the commonwealth and I missed Hungary's guarantee of Serbia earlier before I smashed into a lot more troops then I thought

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Fintilgin posted:

Out of curiosity, can you share your custom Ireland start + ideas?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

PittTheElder posted:

• Little OPMs now try to spend their money, and will even send gifts to the player if they are fighting people they don't like (I think anyway. I'm England, fighting France, all the HRE OPMs keep sending 25-45 ducat gifts, and it's quite helpful.

I'm imagining Henry VI getting a pile of letters from german princes he's never heard of, wishing him well in his quest for the French throne.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
That new Mutapan vassal state down in East Africa has pretty good NIs if you're looking for a start in that area, they also have one of the higher development gold provinces.

Also the southmost Irish state whose name I don't remember also has some good NIs.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

It's almost 1460 and the Ottoman's haven't declared on Byzantium. What gives?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Yashichi posted:

Why even add this fucker if you can't be bothered to give it non-generic ideas? All of the new African tags got either new group ideas or unique ones.

It will get new ideas soon, but apparently it is getting kinda hard to research stuff so it took longer than usual. Thats what DDRjake said on his stream.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'm at -49 positive, and 50 negative in trying to get an alliance with Poland? Is there anything I can do? I've given a gift already.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Check all the parameters and see which one you could up, adding a rival they have might work or simply building up your army to forcelimit.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Offer military access if they want it, build up your army and navy, rival their rival, employ dip. rep advisor or ask the pope for dip rep if you're catholic.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I finally got it. I'm still really new to the game, but I think I'm having a weird game as Byzantium. This is where I'm at. I'm allied to Poland, who has a PU with Lihuania. I'm allied with Wallachia, Austria, and the Mamluks. Venice has attacked me and my alliance curb stomped them and I managed to get 3 territories of theirs, and I've since cored them and moved my army there. However, the Ottoman's haven't attacked me and it's 1477. I'm not really sure, where to go from here. Will the Ottoman's inevitably attack me regardless of my allies like Venice did?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
No, because your alliance is too strong. AI ottos attacked me with a mission and only Poland-Lithuania allied. Try doing it with only them.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Okay, I attacked the Ottoman's with Austria, noone else would join in. We won the first battle, but just barely. After that Poland said they wanted in, with Lithiuania, which was their PU. Then Wallachia said they wanted some fun too.

So this is where I'm at right now:

I can't cross past Constantinople right now, since their fleets will smash us. Plus I have the territory up near Venice as well that I'm chilling at. Should I take a couple of territories, and as much gold as possible? Have them drop allies? I really don't know what the best choice going forward for this situation would be, and this is probably a good stopping point for tonight.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
If your allies are rivals with the Ottos they will help you in an offensive war, even if they think of the alliance as a defensive one.

Also where's the button to reform the roman empire?

Edit: Getting back your cores in Greece is a good start. Especially get Edirne as this makes it possible for your navy to block their army from crossing the strait.

Creed Reunion Tour fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 6, 2016

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Leave some ottoman provinces on your side of the bosporus, so you can get easy sieges next war and drive up warscore/attrition. Take everything else!

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Zotix posted:

Okay, I attacked the Ottoman's with Austria, noone else would join in. We won the first battle, but just barely. After that Poland said they wanted in, with Lithiuania, which was their PU. Then Wallachia said they wanted some fun too.

So this is where I'm at right now:

I can't cross past Constantinople right now, since their fleets will smash us. Plus I have the territory up near Venice as well that I'm chilling at. Should I take a couple of territories, and as much gold as possible? Have them drop allies? I really don't know what the best choice going forward for this situation would be, and this is probably a good stopping point for tonight.

The Ottos tend to move their fleets out of the Dardanelles if you're patient. If not just retake Greece and enough provinces to border Serbia and wallachia.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

alcaras posted:

Out of curiosity, can you share your custom Ireland start + ideas?

If you want, I can try to get the exact list tonight. Wanted a pretty relaxed game to poke around the new patch, so I think I'm like a ~650 point 'Ireland'. :lol:

Traditions were like max dev cost and max discipline
colonist
colonial growth
coring cost discount
mix of military and trade stuff?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The changes to espionage are pretty good. There's zero risk of detection if your spy network is under 25, and fabricating a claim only costs 10, so it's very easy and quick. Though it requires a but of micromanagement, because you get locked out for five years if you do get caught. You can keep building your spy net within a country you're at war with, and even fabricate claims on them which is really nice. You also get up to 20% siege ability vs. that country at 100 network size. I assume the AE impact reduction is similar. Actions that consume spy mana also don't require a free diplomat. Of course, my two main gripes about espionage still exist: it uses diplomats instead of its own agents, and you need the espionage idea group to get any of the really useful actions.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

MrBling posted:

It will get new ideas soon, but apparently it is getting kinda hard to research stuff so it took longer than usual. Thats what DDRjake said on his stream.

I googled Odoyev since I'd never heard of it and the results are some tripadvisor links (there are 5 things to see in Odoyev apparently) the Wikipedia article which says "this is a district with x population" and not much else (the city itself is red linked) and then a Paradox forum thread about the national ideas. I hope there is a grand strategy nerd living in Odoyev who is super stoked about their town being included in EUIV :unsmith:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Fintilgin posted:

I can be the Portugal to their Spain.

So you'll get in a PU under them, help fight the dutch and get trashed, free yourself after 80 years and then go to war every few decades in the Americas?

VVVV Didn't edit my post fast enough, huh

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 6, 2016

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Frionnel posted:

So you'll go to war with them in the Americas every few years, and then get inherited?

I was thinking more, act like I'm their little brother until I'm stronger and they're weak - AND THEN STRIKE!

(Similarity to Portugal ends at color)

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Zotix posted:

I started an Ethiopian game before work since the previous stuff wasn't going to work with a new patch. I didn't get far into the game but im not sure if I want to stick with them. Is Ethiopia a fun game?

Ethiopia's a real fun game. The most important thing you should keep in mind is to keep the gently caress out of Egypt for the first 200ish years of the game. Like seriously, you might think that by letting the Ottomans take Egypt you're just letting them become stronger. No. It doesn't work like that. Taking Egypt before you are already ready to take on the Ottomans is like putting a giant sign on your border with the Ottomans saying "please declare war and take a giant poo poo on my playthrough".

Also if you haven't already conquer Kaffa, their goldmine province is one of the biggest boosts you can get yourself as early game Ethiopia.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Fister Roboto posted:

The changes to espionage are pretty good. There's zero risk of detection if your spy network is under 25, and fabricating a claim only costs 10, so it's very easy and quick. Though it requires a but of micromanagement, because you get locked out for five years if you do get caught. You can keep building your spy net within a country you're at war with, and even fabricate claims on them which is really nice. You also get up to 20% siege ability vs. that country at 100 network size. I assume the AE impact reduction is similar. Actions that consume spy mana also don't require a free diplomat. Of course, my two main gripes about espionage still exist: it uses diplomats instead of its own agents, and you need the espionage idea group to get any of the really useful actions.

Yeah, I like it too. The siege ability bonus is truly awesome and the AE reduction is good since rivals get more AE against you. I do however feel that Paradox should add a shortened locked-out period as tree bonus, besides being able to steal maps, since that ability is quite lame and it would make the Espionage idea tree a lot more useful. Something like 2 years or so would be better.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

YF-23 posted:

Ethiopia's a real fun game. The most important thing you should keep in mind is to keep the gently caress out of Egypt for the first 200ish years of the game. Like seriously, you might think that by letting the Ottomans take Egypt you're just letting them become stronger. No. It doesn't work like that. Taking Egypt before you are already ready to take on the Ottomans is like putting a giant sign on your border with the Ottomans saying "please declare war and take a giant poo poo on my playthrough".

Also if you haven't already conquer Kaffa, their goldmine province is one of the biggest boosts you can get yourself as early game Ethiopia.

Yeah you used to be able to roll into Egypt and take it all before the Ottomans ever got the mission, but they can get the mission against tags other than the Mamluks now, so it doesn't work out most of the time. An early confrontation with the Ottomans, if you can get European allies, is actually preferable to a later one because they almost always get huge, but it's a serious gamble.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also make sure you take the option to request military support from Portugal when you get the event. The cultural exhchange option gives you more monarch points up front, but the military support leads to an even that gives you 10 years of +25% morale and +5% discipline which is just insane and probably enough to put you on even footing with the Ottos.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 6, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The fabric of spacetime must be incredibly twisted in Central Africa because apparently Pubungo is considered to be adjacent to Luapala:

(it's because all those little lakes to the west of Lake Victoria are all considered to be the same lake)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Fister Roboto posted:

I've always hated how your spies can get locked out for 5 years with pretty much nothing you can do about it, and now that fabricating claims are tied to it's so much worse. Giving us an option like "your spies are caught! pay 50% of your yearly income to keep them hidden" would make espionage stuff so much more viable than "the RNG decided gently caress you and there's nothing you can do about it". And it'd mean spy defense would still be valuable since you'd be draining your enemy's cash.

Pellisworth posted:

I like the overall concept of states and territories; but I think it penalizes particular parts of the world quite badly. Each potential State corresponds to a geographical Area, which is usually 3-6 provinces.

The Americas, Africa, much of Asia, and other areas have a large number of low-development provinces. Nations in those areas seem to be at a disadvantage since the new state/territories system is effectively a cap on how many zero-autonomy provinces you can have.

That is, being able to maintain 15 states in Europe is a LOT more powerful than 15 states in much of the rest of the world.

Edit: since states/territories are essentially based on number of provinces rather than development, it disadvantages nations in the parts of the world that have many low-development provinces.

Yeah, they should rebalance the areas like they did for regions. I'm guessing they shifted states from being tied to regions pretty late and didn't have time, but it's pretty painful right now.

Alternatively do my suggestion and have states made up of region-sized chunks of land again, but made up of our choice of several contiguous areas. Bonus points for letting you rename those states.

States/territories are probably the most disappointing part of the patch for me- I had really high hopes for them. They're still an improvement over the old system in a lot of ways but they feel really badly integrated right now.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 6, 2016

• Locked thread