Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Aurainsoph posted:

What's the name of the ship(s) us n00bs should be aiming for to have the biggest impact both in the large scale fights and the smaller skirmishes/scouting? From the skill guide, it seems like it would be something Gallente.

Interceptors probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aurainsoph posted:

What's the name of the ship(s) us n00bs should be aiming for to have the biggest impact both in the large scale fights and the smaller skirmishes/scouting? From the skill guide, it seems like it would be something Gallente.

Interceptors, recons, T3s in general.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

I'm not putting my faith in Elo, I was making a joke about him. I'm not really sure anyone in this plane of reality likes Elo.

I like Elo :shobon:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Landsknecht posted:

it's really weird that as much as we (goons) have been hated, a lot of eve seems to have tried to emulate the culture/attitude

cause we fuckin won, even the umad poo poo they do got picked up by them heavily when mittani started doing it the fucker

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kimsemus posted:

I have asserted literally none of the things you've alluded to me asserting but agreed FIXX was pretty terrible. I did sort of figure out how to play in FIXX which was nice though.

But I also think it's sort of silly to say these fights aren't critical when by anyone's definition they are, and if you were winning you would say they were. Thank you for the history lesson I was 100% present for though.

The guy you quoted is on the side currently winning.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

crew posted:

I like Elo :shobon:

Yeah but nobody likes you either.

j/k :glomp:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Nietzschean posted:

I did not know you'd been around that long, so sorry about that.

I'm sure you can find mirrors and screenshots of the goonfleet forums if you try, and so I'm equally sure you're aware of how our current doctrines are actually in flux. If not, then even just the comments made in this thread are a good enough indicator: we just a couple days ago announced a new battleship doctrine (what's old is new again), and the parallels to the ramp-up to Fountain 2013 are pretty striking: afk FCs and line members slowly trickling back to the game, a bloated empire that had been fielding faction battleships transitioning to more reliable and easily sourced alternatives, PL hanging a Sword of Damocles over the theatre while NCdot, TEST, et al crow about how great they are on Reddit, and so on. Why does it take so damned long for the Imperium to spool up for this? I dunno. I've not been space important enough to be privy to the details of our pre-war huddles, but apparently it's a thing. Perhaps it's part of the Fabian Strategy that Mittani mentioned in the CEO update. Your guess is as good as mine.

But for whatever reason, a significant wind-up clearly does and has existed for the CFC/Imperium in the lead-up to concerted war efforts; and, those wars have generally been won over the course of the past six years that I've been playing with Goonswarm. Will this time be different? Perhaps. Regardless of the current conflict, the thing that strikes my interest is the promised New Great War, the grudgefuck hellwar against the various entities who have invaded us and challenged us to do something about it. I, at least, was not around for The Great War, but if we deliver on Mittani's promise, and I hope we do, then I'm looking forward to seeing this new iteration.

And of course, I'll be there to lead Siege Fleet as we burn down every destructible asset we can find if so. If not? Then, well, I guess I'll come back a few months in the future and admit to having believed a lie. Until then, there's nothing to do but wait and see.

goonfleet has always been shockingly slow on doctrines, that's just A Thing That Is Expected

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Nietzschean posted:

I did not know you'd been around that long, so sorry about that.

I'm sure you can find mirrors and screenshots of the goonfleet forums if you try, and so I'm equally sure you're aware of how our current doctrines are actually in flux. If not, then even just the comments made in this thread are a good enough indicator: we just a couple days ago announced a new battleship doctrine (what's old is new again), and the parallels to the ramp-up to Fountain 2013 are pretty striking: afk FCs and line members slowly trickling back to the game, a bloated empire that had been fielding faction battleships transitioning to more reliable and easily sourced alternatives, PL hanging a Sword of Damocles over the theatre while NCdot, TEST, et al crow about how great they are on Reddit, and so on. Why does it take so damned long for the Imperium to spool up for this? I dunno. I've not been space important enough to be privy to the details of our pre-war huddles, but apparently it's a thing. Perhaps it's part of the Fabian Strategy that Mittani mentioned in the CEO update. Your guess is as good as mine.

But for whatever reason, a significant wind-up clearly does and has existed for the CFC/Imperium in the lead-up to concerted war efforts; and, those wars have generally been won over the course of the past six years that I've been playing with Goonswarm. Will this time be different? Perhaps. Regardless of the current conflict, the thing that strikes my interest is the promised New Great War, the grudgefuck hellwar against the various entities who have invaded us and challenged us to do something about it. I, at least, was not around for The Great War, but if we deliver on Mittani's promise, and I hope we do, then I'm looking forward to seeing this new iteration.

And of course, I'll be there to lead Siege Fleet as we burn down every destructible asset we can find if so. If not? Then, well, I guess I'll come back a few months in the future and admit to having believed a lie. Until then, there's nothing to do but wait and see.

I hope all of this comes to pass, and I hope everyone has fun because of it. I guess that's the benefit of having no aspiration for space in null and no ill-will towards fellow goons, I'm just here for the fun with no emotional investment whatsoever. The only time I got fired up recently to fight goons was when the whole viceroy thing kicked in and the imperium threatened our moons in lowsec and I sort of need those for stuff.

Also I made an EVE chat channel on the SA discord if anyone is interested, you can find the link to the server info here if you need it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759565

I know goonwaffe has its own services but both people in and out of goons in EVE can chat there if you like.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

RhoA posted:

Almost done man, back to rotations in two months. Time to get my internal medicine on.

:hfive:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Landsknecht posted:

Well I guess that's it for your credibility, FIXX was pretty trash-tier (and got smacked around a lot).

You're pretty dumb thinking that this will be anything near the end of GSF, and that although these fights now will matter, they're not critical.

In 2010 Goons lost everything. Like I mean everything, the alliance was closed, the main corp was gone, everyone was kicked, alliance assets were taken; all that remained were the forums, jabber, and teamspeak. LODRA (the new alliance) then tried to invade CR and basically got nowhere, and there was internal drama and pubbie witchhunts. Participation sucked, nobody had any resources, and LODRA ended up on TCF's couch in Venal.

Over the next 5 years GSF/the CFC became the biggest and best-organized coalition EVE has seen, and had basically five years of straight winning. This is the group that prettymuch won the nullsec game twice.

Even though Mittani is a pseudointelligent, longwinded douchebag, he has prioritized building alliance infrastructure and securing long-term resources. Even though a bureaucratic leader might not be what GSF really needs right now, having such stable and committed leadership has meant that GSF has insane resources. I don't really know what the number of active supers is in GSF, but back when I got mine (which was early 2011) they were being pumped out at an obscene rate, and that was just when the alliance was starting to seriously prioritize them. Even if everything falls apart in the next few months, I can guarantee you that GSF will be back in some way, unless eve actually shuts down.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
you know what you did

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
PS which is better

or

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

vyst posted:

Wouldn't be a thread without a lovely Garnt hole squad woe is me post

Yeah why can't we just conveniently ignore how we hosed him over?

We(old HV) didnt want ~alliance assets~ from GSF we just wanted to hangout in a wormhole with space friends but apparently that was unreasonable.

Venom Snake posted:

i don't think you get hole squad

:ironicat:

Stop talking about Hole Squad. There being a war on has little to do with GOKU being a ghost town.

Foehammer007 posted:

tolstoy for ceo the true pvp leader for hole squad

Cyrelio
Mar 28, 2015

frozenpussy posted:

PS which is better

or

I prefer the bottom one, personally.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Richard Bong posted:

Yeah why can't we just conveniently ignore how we hosed him over?

We(old HV) didnt want ~alliance assets~ from GSF we just wanted to hangout in a wormhole with space friends but apparently that was unreasonable.

Stop talking about Hole Squad. There being a war on has little to do with GOKU being a ghost town.

Everything here is just :thumbsup:.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

frozenpussy posted:

PS which is better

This

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
:fnyp: ?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Richard Bong posted:

why are more people logging in than ever then

edit: like, I understand being bitter because w/e old hole squad is dead and never coming back but christ dude

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cyrelio posted:

I prefer the bottom one, personally.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kimsemus posted:

I hope all of this comes to pass, and I hope everyone has fun because of it. I guess that's the benefit of having no aspiration for space in null and no ill-will towards fellow goons, I'm just here for the fun with no emotional investment whatsoever. The only time I got fired up recently to fight goons was when the whole viceroy thing kicked in and the imperium threatened our moons in lowsec and I sort of need those for stuff.

Also I made an EVE chat channel on the SA discord if anyone is interested, you can find the link to the server info here if you need it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759565

I know goonwaffe has its own services but both people in and out of goons in EVE can chat there if you like.

You seem like a pretty chill dude, I'll check it out sometime this week probably when I'm stranded on my laptop with nothing worthwhile to do.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
please do not buy a smiley

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Venom Snake posted:

edit: like, I understand being bitter because w/e old hole squad is dead and never coming back but christ dude

Venom Snake posted:

i don't think you get hole squad

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
if i cant stop you from doing that, do not make it a vanity emote in my name

edit phew it's massive outsized

Sakako
Dec 31, 2013

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

i was referencing the fact hole squad is not some super elite pvp organization but okay

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Venom Snake posted:

i was referencing the fact hole squad is not some super elite pvp organization but okay

He never stated that hole squad was a super elite pvp organization.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
but it feels so right :shrug:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

RhoA posted:

He never stated that hole squad was a super elite pvp organization.

he said people who join hole squad do so becuase they don't like being around inept people which is obviously false because everyone didn't quit when I was let in

okay well maybe some did

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
name it fnln if you must make it vanity and not generic since i took creepy baby after he quit

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

i think that's the original

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
anyway it's my space opinion that hole goons aren't dead or dying or w/e sky fall meme of the day but i know arguing with people about it will just make them upset about it because well thats just how that goes, good night and god bless

Henry Winklers balls
Aug 2, 2006
Slightly Agravic

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

sion sucks rear end

Alunan
May 27, 2008
Some accountant in Iceland right now is thanking Odin for this loving war and that goons are insufferable.

It's gonna be a long 3 months herding the pubbies back into their farming pens.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

Because there is something to do other than sit in a hole with unscanned statics while talking about the different ways to roll chains in search of wolf rayet isk.

Venom Snake posted:

Yeah it was never ~elite~, just pvp focused. Which of course you never really figured out and were befuddled when people got sick of you not shutting the gently caress up about ratting.

Venom Snake posted:

he said people who join hole squad do so becuase they don't like being around inept people which is obviously false because everyone didn't quit when I was let in

okay well maybe some did

That wasn't me you jack rear end, that was some ex GSF member who went gently caress goons like 4 years ago and doesnt play anymore iirc.

And to a to a degree sure, I don't like playing with people who have trouble flying their ship because when I am trying to set up a gank on someone and multiple assholes jump into the target's system because "I HAVE A CLOAK THEY CANT SEE ME" and scare the person I'm hunting, or yell at everyone because they were dumb enough to bring a slow brick tank T3 to obvious bait and die, it starts to wear on you.

Venom Snake posted:

anyway it's my space opinion that hole goons aren't dead or dying or w/e sky fall meme of the day but i know arguing with people about it will just make them upset about it because well thats just how that goes, good night and god bless

The squad is in the "lets try an open relationship" point down the road to falling apart. Eventually youll(well probably not you) realize that nobody still wants to be there and the only thing that was keeping you there was the memories.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
God stfu about hole squad

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I just heard wormhole sites can't be chained anymore by leaving one rat over downtime. That's for capital escalations too?

What starts the timer, does warping to the site make it despawn that downtime?

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

:drat:

Despera posted:

God stfu about hole squad

Don't think anything else needs to be said after Bong's post.

Cyrelio
Mar 28, 2015

Kimsemus posted:

Speaking from the opposing side of the conflict, I can tell you that a lot of what you said is what I have noticed as well. As far as doctrines go, we're just trying to find out what works best for the situation. Given that we're up against many different entities who are all flying their own separate doctrines, it's gotta be hard to plan for one thing that will do good against all of them. However our numbers are slowly improving. Yesterday evening I was surprised to see we actually filled a full T3 fleet that wasn't a posted OP to try and contest the CSAA in Tenal. Now of course that fact was moot considering there were 1200+ hostiles that showed up to oppose us, but it's a good start and I hope we can get that consistently. I was bummed that we flew all the way out there (30+ jumps from our staging with a long warp tunnel every stargate because of 250+ dudes in fleet) and were not able to fight, but you have to admit that taking that fight was a good decision (at least for us).

I think that as you guys start to get closer to established systems that have higher ADMs that you're going to slow down a lot. As a coalition our forces were really spread out and now that we're consolidated I think that is going to help with resistance as well. And if you get as far as Deklein you might hit a brick wall entirely since those ADMs are pretty good and there will be tons of angry Goons ready to take revenge and defend our homeland. And if we lose Deklein? So what? While I think that the chances of this happening are extremely low you can't rule it out as impossible. Would losing Deklein cause the Alliance or Coalition to collapse on itself? I don't think so. It's not the end of the world by any means.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to the next few weeks and it should be good fun either way no matter what happens. This is my first real war being with Goons for almost 2 years and so far I'm having a lot of fun participating and getting to shoot space mans. I joined in for other things such as the 2015 Fountain/Delve conflict and our GSF-only deployment to Immensea, but this is doesn't even compare. I hear a lot of people saying that the MBC is going to turn on each and break apart and people will get bored and go home and all that, so it seems like there is a lot of hope that will happen. Will it happen? Nobody knows. Will the Citadel expansion change things? Maybe. Time will tell, but I hope that we don't get complacent and put all our hopes solely on that happening. From what I have seen in previous conflicts, I can say that we have not even come close to reaching our full potential to wage war yet.

Anyways, that's just my opinion as a regular line member. Also, you're a chill dude and level-headed about the whole thing and I appreciate that. It is just a game after all. It's good to talk to rational people on the other side for once instead of the alternative poo poo-spewing, mouth-breathing, reddit-worshippers.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Cyrelio posted:

It is just a game after all. It's good to talk to rational people on the other side for once instead of the alternative poo poo-spewing, mouth-breathing, reddit-worshippers.

+1 upboat

upboats win wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Cyrelio posted:

Speaking from the opposing side of the conflict, I can tell you that a lot of what you said is what I have noticed as well. As far as doctrines go, we're just trying to find out what works best for the situation. Given that we're up against many different entities who are all flying their own separate doctrines, it's gotta be hard to plan for one thing that will do good against all of them. However our numbers are slowly improving. Yesterday evening I was surprised to see we actually filled a full T3 fleet that wasn't a posted OP to try and contest the CSAA in Tenal. Now of course that fact was moot considering there were 1200+ hostiles that showed up to oppose us, but it's a good start and I hope we can get that consistently. I was bummed that we flew all the way out there (30+ jumps from our staging with a long warp tunnel every stargate because of 250+ dudes in fleet) and were not able to fight, but you have to admit that taking that fight was a good decision (at least for us).

I think that as you guys start to get closer to established systems that have higher ADMs that you're going to slow down a lot. As a coalition our forces were really spread out and now that we're consolidated I think that is going to help with resistance as well. And if you get as far as Deklein you might hit a brick wall entirely since those ADMs are pretty good and there will be tons of angry Goons ready to take revenge and defend our homeland. And if we lose Deklein? So what? While I think that the chances of this happening are extremely low you can't rule it out as impossible. Would losing Deklein cause the Alliance or Coalition to collapse on itself? I don't think so. It's not the end of the world by any means.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to the next few weeks and it should be good fun either way no matter what happens. This is my first real war being with Goons for almost 2 years and so far I'm having a lot of fun participating and getting to shoot space mans. I joined in for other things such as the 2015 Fountain/Delve conflict and our GSF-only deployment to Immensea, but this is doesn't even compare. I hear a lot of people saying that the MBC is going to turn on each and break apart and people will get bored and go home and all that, so it seems like there is a lot of hope that will happen. Will it happen? Nobody knows. Will the Citadel expansion change things? Maybe. Time will tell, but I hope that we don't get complacent and put all our hopes solely on that happening. From what I have seen in previous conflicts, I can say that we have not even come close to reaching our full potential to wage war yet.

Anyways, that's just my opinion as a regular line member. Also, you're a chill dude and level-headed about the whole thing and I appreciate that. It is just a game after all. It's good to talk to rational people on the other side for once instead of the alternative poo poo-spewing, mouth-breathing, reddit-worshippers.

I was just talking to some of the dudes in one of our FC channels tonight about this -- I feel like once we hit a point where all the ADMs are much higher and the number of timers needed to be created is lower, progress will slow. I think right now we have kind of a blitz advantage on some of these regions. I was actually on the fleet for the CSAA kills last night, the tidi was enormous, and I get kind of tired about the KILL ALL GOONS rhetoric going on because I feel that, yeah, I actually feel optimistic about taking deklein based on the numbers I've seen so far on both sides, but I think only an idiot believes it's going to somehow kill goons or that goonwaffe won't just regroup in lowsec somewhere and push back.

This is my first experience with fozziesov, and it seems to me that defenders have a harder time holding their space even compared to dominion sov. M-O was chaotic in my mind, we (LSV) spent most of our time in J-GAMP until we were able to warp into the imperium machariel fleet and begin picking it apart, but the entosis ticks weren't even happening in our system. I can't say I like this system more because it leaves a lot of room for cheese in order to win.

I'm also unclear as to what the MBC's war aims are. I guess we'll stick around for fights because we're getting paid to, but LSV, at least, has zero desire to grind a bunch of sov back and forth. No one can really tell me who would take and hold what space either, though I can speculate. I suppose if MBC brings ~4000 people to a major timer and goons bring ~1500 again that's gonna kind of seal the deal regardless, isn't it?

I think best case scenario is we take deklein relatively quickly and declare "victory" and goons regroup and retake it later, worst case we get ground out and burnt out and don't take it, MBC still declares "victory" for causing a lot of damage. Either way goons will end up holding or re-taking their space, LSV goes back to lowsec, life goes on. Which is why I have such heavy emphasis on the content piece -- if people are having fun this is a good thing, EVE is getting a lot of media attention which is a good thing, and hopefully veteran players coming back will stay, and the hype will bring in some new ones.

Everyone wins at the end of the day IMO. :toot:

• Locked thread