Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
definitely very little light about Cherryh's work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Brainiac Five posted:

Medusa's Web felt an awful lot like Tim Powers trying to write a better version of Three Days to Never, and I definitely preferred the more science-fictional approach to mashing together Gnosticism and Kabalistic Judaism.

I remember Three Days to Never being pretty bad. So is Medusa's Web actually worth my time?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rough Lobster posted:

I remember Three Days to Never being pretty bad. So is Medusa's Web actually worth my time?

Yes. I mean, you might want to look up who some of the people are around the middle of the book, but it's really good and really weird. I think the closest thing in his books to it is Dinner at Deviant's Palace, or some of his short stories.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

apophenium posted:

I started reading Downbelow Station a week or so ago and have found it incredibly interesting but also a little more dense than some of the sci fi I've been reading as of late. Cherryh doesn't hold your hand. Plot lines get thrown at you left and right and POV characters switch around pretty swiftly. It feels like a lot of pieces moving slowly, and I can already see bits where things are starting to come together. It's really impressive so far, but not the light space opera I might have otherwise expected.

It absolutely blows up towards the end, stick with it. I was really impressed by Downbelow's heft and scale.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Brainiac Five posted:

Yes. I mean, you might want to look up who some of the people are around the middle of the book, but it's really good and really weird. I think the closest thing in his books to it is Dinner at Deviant's Palace, or some of his short stories.

Thanks, I'll have to check it out. I did a lot of wiki'ing during Declare so that's no issue.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Just don't expect another Declare or Stress of Her Regard. It's pretty solid but nowhere near his best.
I like the theory that it's him pretending Three Days To Never never happened, though.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

Is Cherryh extremely your poo poo or is she that consistently good?

Like the others said, she can be very good but also pretty dense in her writing, and, depending on the book, quite bleak and oppressive.

To give you an impression of what made Cherryh work for me: it was bookended by House of Suns, Blindsight/Echopraxia, Use of Weapons, Stross' Merchant Princes series, and Three Body Problem beforehand, broken up by reading Declare and some non-fiction, and followed up with Marooned in Realtime, some Greg Egan, Excession, Hyperion, and Aurora. Out of _all_ those books, Cyteen turned out to be one of my absolute all-time AAA+++ favorites, and even secondary stuff like Heavy Time, Rimrunners, and Merchanter's Luck were solid 4/5 stars IMO. Guess I'm a huge sucker for Bildungsromans.

Chanur was extremely my poo poo because it's fun space opera, and the Foreigner series was great for the first 9 books as well, but overall I was most impressed with her Alliance/Union stuff (hence starting with Downbelow probably being a good idea).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

We have a CJ Cherryh thread, although it doesn't see much traffic. :(

Cherryh is fantastic and everyone in this thread should read her. That said, Downbelow Station is one of her heaviest works, and I think it gets a lot easier if you've read other A-U stuff first and thus have some more context for it. Cyteen is just as long but goes down a lot more smoothly, and the Foreigner and Chanur series and the other A-U books are all much more approachable.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
RIP Cherryh thread.

Heavy Time and Rimrunners felt exceptionally claustrophobic to me so I wouldn't necessarily call them more approachable (not to mention their mental instability/sexual violence angles).

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Oh hey, incoming sidequel to Planetfall.

https://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2016/04/coming-soon-atlas-emma-newman-sequel-planetfall/

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

That's cool! Planetfall was quite a ride.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

So I just finished Baru Cormorant, and I'm trying to decide between Oryx and Crake, The First Law trilogy, the Three Body Problem, or something completely different for my next book. Anybody want to help me decide? haha

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
First Law trilogy.

Fourth option: Aurora by KSR.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Oryx and Crake.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Honestly you can't go wrong. All three of your choices are solid picks.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

trip9 posted:

So I just finished Baru Cormorant, and I'm trying to decide between Oryx and Crake, The First Law trilogy, the Three Body Problem, or something completely different for my next book. Anybody want to help me decide? haha

They're all very different, so it really depends on what you're in the mood for. Oryx n Crake for literary post apocalypse, First Law for gritty character driven fantasy with great dark humor, and Three Body is big idea sci fi from what I've read of it

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

So I know Three Body Problem is more of an "ideas" sci-fi book. Oryx and Crake is a "literary" post-apocalyptic novel (never read Margaret Atwood before)? I've had The First Law trilogy on my read list for a while now, but I don't remember why I added it. Can someone sell me on it? What makes it stand out? For context, fantasy series I've read recently are Malazan and Got. I bounced off of Gene Wolfe's "Book of the New Sun" around The Sword of the Lictor, not because it was bad but because I knew I wasn't in the right headspace to read and completely absorb it right now. I'll prob go back to it later. Also not a fan of Sanderson, his stuff always comes off as very "YA" to me, in a bad way.

Edit: savinhill totally stole my thunder haha

trip9 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 6, 2016

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Whatever you pick, you'll read a good book! You have a great problem

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

First Law Trilogy has some really great unlikeable protagonists, the kind you will love to hate. Energetic action scenes, very character driven. It's "grimdark" but still a lot of fun.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I wouldn't read First Law if you just read Malazan. That is basically what I did and I think it affected the series for me. Come back to First Law after reading one of your other choices.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Hand Row posted:

I wouldn't read First Law if you just read Malazan. That is basically what I did and I think it affected the series for me. Come back to First Law after reading one of your other choices.

I finished Malazan a good 7 months ago, so it's not like I'd be coming fresh off that. To make things more difficult I've also added "Dan Simmons horror" to the list of potentials. I like to make things hard on myself.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I'm enjoying The Girl with Ghost Eyes by M.H. Boroson. The main character and setting are great, although I have no idea how authentic the portrayal of 1900's San Francisco Chinatown or the supernatural world is.

It's odd how many Asian-inspired fantasy series with female protagonists are floating around that are written by white male authors. What's crazy is that they're actually pretty good, or at least not egregiously steeped in Orientalism.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

trip9 posted:

a "literary" post-apocalyptic novel (never read Margaret Atwood before)?
If you are interested in a literary post-apoc novel, you might also check out James Morrow's This is How the World Ends.

It's not Morrow's best work (Towing Jehovah is probably my personal favorite) but it fits the bill of literary post-apoc.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

coyo7e posted:

If you are interested in a literary post-apoc novel, you might also check out James Morrow's This is How the World Ends.

It's not Morrow's best work (Towing Jehovah is probably my personal favorite) but it fits the bill of literary post-apoc.

Towing Jehovah is fully awesome, as are the other two entries in the Godhead trilogy. I've been reading his Only Begotten Daughter and while it's very much treading the same path, it's just as enjoyable in its own way. Morrow is a treasure, even if he stays in his lane more than most talented authors do.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Towing Jehovah is good enough that I've had two copies get stolen after loaning them out. And I keep buying it again because poo poo, how can I not want to read it again?! So much poo poo going down.. I mean even the opening with the dude's father "sinking" a butane lighter in the gravy bowl to poo poo on him for wrecking his oil tanker.. :psyduck:

The only other book I've had get that kind of reception/theft-ratio were the New Perspectives MS Excel textbooks, and I always got reimbursed by work for those.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
That Vandermeer collection looks amazing. I wish I could buy it now, so I guess I'll be buying The Weird in the meantime.

Also, I've been rereading Baru Cormorant along with Battuta's writer's commentary. But it looks like that's still a work in progress, so I guess that's something I'll come back to do in-between new books.

House Louse posted:

Not even professional book reviewers ever reach the end of their backlogs. It's daft to stress about it. Same reason I don't like those "Number Nouns You Must Verb Before You Die" books. Life's not a checklist. (Ninja: I don't think you're being stupid about it. I think I'm agreeing with you.)

Those books need another, less forceful title. I have all four editions of the "1001 Books" one and I find them more exciting than irritating. They taught me a lot about classic lit that I never heard of in English class at school. Yeah, I'll never finish them all, but I'd probably hate a lot of them anyway, and that's beside the point in my mind.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hand Row posted:

They are pretty different both in plot as well as in writing.
First Law is basically an adventure comic turned into a book series with well known archetypes.
First Law is also much more straight-forward in the telling.

Bakker and Erikson would be different however.
Regarding Bakker, I read rumours here that the last book, The Unholy Consult, is finally on the way out after having been stuck in publisher hell for a long time?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Holy poo poo, the ending of The Belly of the Bow.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

taser rates posted:

Yup. That's K. J. Parker for you.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Cardiac posted:

They are pretty different both in plot as well as in writing.
First Law is basically an adventure comic turned into a book series with well known archetypes.
First Law is also much more straight-forward in the telling.

I didn't mean to imply they are similar. It was just a tough transition for me and it made me appreciate First Law less. I really would recommend not reading Fantasy right after Malazan because it will probably be disappointing. But does not apply if you didn't love Malazan as much as I did.

In related news hooray new Malazan book this month!

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

ulmont posted:

Yup. That's K. J. Parker for you.

Yea, I really should have been expecting something like that by now with how much Parker I've read, but drat. And really, it's Gorgas's response as much as the act itself.

Samiz
Sep 10, 2013
Started reading Dune recently and holy poo poo it's just as good as everyone says it is. Are the other Dune books just as good?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

^^^^^ Everyone agrees that the series takes a dive at some point, nobody will agree where. I love the later Frank Herbert ones, other people cannot stand them.

I always advise people to read an even number of Dune books - A lot of "the point" of Dune is actually in Dune Messiah, Children of Dune has a lot of faffing about that only comes together in God-Emperor, and if you've pushed through the bonkers stuff in Heretics you might as well finish the whole thing, because the climax of Chapterhouse is glorious.

Cardiac posted:

Bakker and Erikson would be different however.
Regarding Bakker, I read rumours here that the last book, The Unholy Consult, is finally on the way out after having been stuck in publisher hell for a long time?

It's being split in two, one this year one next year. So The Great Ordeal is technically The Second Apocalypse Part 2, Part 3, Part 1.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 7, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Samiz posted:

Started reading Dune recently and holy poo poo it's just as good as everyone says it is. Are the other Dune books just as good?

Yes, but for increasingly esoteric values of "good". Each book gets weirder and weirder. The standard advice is to keep reading in sequence till it gets too weird for you personally then stop.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
I always thought of the First Law series as a really dark comedy, first and foremost.

Also it's a very character-driven story. Abercrombie seems to have a lot of fun with creating strong first impressions for his characters, then completely undermining those impressions as we learn more about the people's backstories, inner workings, and the psychological journeys that the characters are going on. I think I read somewhere that he was a psych major.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

taser rates posted:

That was the point where I decided not to read the third book.
I love KJP, one of my favorite writers, but Jesus Christ...

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yes, but for increasingly esoteric values of "good". Each book gets weirder and weirder. The standard advice is to keep reading in sequence till it gets too weird for you personally then stop.

Yeah, it doesn't get "better" or "return to form" so, for example, whenever you go "when do they go back to riding around on giant worms kicking rear end I'm bored?" that time never comes again. If you are into the trippy woo-woo nature of prophecy and what it means to be human stuff, then you can ride the wave to the end.

Basically, when you get bored, stop, because what you're waiting for ain't comin back.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

And because it can never be stressed enough, if Frank Herbert's name isn't on the cover, avoid that poo poo like the plague.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Blastedhellscape posted:

I always thought of the First Law series as a really dark comedy, first and foremost.

Also it's a very character-driven story. Abercrombie seems to have a lot of fun with creating strong first impressions for his characters, then completely undermining those impressions as we learn more about the people's backstories, inner workings, and the psychological journeys that the characters are going on. I think I read somewhere that he was a psych major.

This sounds interesting, I might do First Law next since it seems like it's a "fun" read (though I'm actually gonna be listening to it on audible I think).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ornamented Death posted:

And because it can never be stressed enough, if Frank Herbert's name isn't on the cover, avoid that poo poo like the plague.
Alternately, if Kevin J. Anderson's name is on the cover, avoid like plague. A pretty good guideline to SF overall.