Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

If there's one thing Snyder's Superman does with great frequency, it's deal with real life situations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

I have learned recently that people have "feelings" and also "moms" and I have combined these into my movie about smashing things efficiently, I zack Snyder am a real life organic human male whirrrr whirrrr buzz bzzzzz zzzzzt click *unholy chorus singing*

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Italian Superman: Please! You gotta save Marie!

Italian Batman: Your mom is named Marie? My mom's name is Marie!

Entire Italian Justice League: Ayy, us too over here.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

poisonpill posted:

"Hey, look what came to Netflix. It's Mar-"
*clenches fist*
"-s Needs-"
*unclenches fist*
"-Moms!"
*clenches fist*

lmao

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Superman - Bruce, the common good is an illusion and we cannot consign ourselves the status of sacrificial animals!

Batman - You're right, Clark; to be selfish is not immoral but the highest of morality!

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

BvS is like sophomoric lovely writers who hamfistedly cram attempts at subversion and allegory into their turgid bland writing with all the subtly of a chimp with a hammer and then think they're being totally smart and deep but it only makes their poo poo even more painful. A whole bunch of CD posts are also at that level so they get along really well.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lazorexplosion posted:

BvS is like sophomoric lovely writers who hamfistedly cram attempts at subversion and allegory into their turgid bland writing with all the subtly of a chimp with a hammer and then think they're being totally smart and deep but it only makes their poo poo even more painful. A whole bunch of CD posts are also at that level so they get along really well.

yeah all this is probly true. i think the entire movie would be salvaged if it wasnt for how quickly batman went from impaling supes through the chest to smacking him on the back like "we got this, bro." and also if WW's youtube montage was an after the credits thing(or just after the big producer guys whatever idgaf) Like those two things pushed it over the edge it was tipped on.

lfield
May 10, 2008
what is it about CD that attracts people who are not too smart but want to come across as though they are

moreso than your average internet forum, i mean

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

The "must save Martha" thing didn't really bother me too much conceptually as a way to bring an end to the fight in theory- and Snyder's not off base on why it should work: having a mom that he loves does make Superman a human character (and not alien jesus!) and should give Batman pause about how to treat this previously inhuman machine of destruction. The problem though is that he flubbed it up.

-First, the movie isn't really shot from Batman's perspective even though it clearly should have been. We as an audience already have access to Superman's internal world (as sparse as it is) so there's no change in state for us when the reveal happens.

-Second, even if it were shot from Batman's view, nobody in the audience is unfamiliar with Superman's character. That Superman is a product of a good home and loves his parents and they love him is like a core trait of every Superman story.

-So to try and compensate for that or something- and this is literally the only reason I can think of Snyder's decisions on Supes other than he's just trying to jam libertarianism or Dr. Manhattan in to a Superman costume- he tried to make Superman seem distant and threatening to us. The image of Superman we're seeing is more the image through Batman's eyes or Lex Luthor's eyes. But that doesn't change that the movie had the word Superman in the title, so instead of leaving me wondering who this mysterious alien was and what motivated him, I'm left to feel 'oh! Snyder doesn't get Superman!'

-The setup is also weakened by a Batman who regularly kills as casually as this one. Did Bats forget that many of not all the criminals he was going after also had moms?? It'd make sense if we had seen the event that pushed him from the Batman most people know to this Batman, but we had to rush to BvS instead of setting up the characters first.

-And so we get to the Martha scene and the audience is all over the place in comparison to where Snyder thinks we'd be. We're not suddenly dealing with the drama of new information, but Bats is. Instead we're trying to reconcile the weird way Superman had been portrayed up to that moment with the sudden need to see him as fragile. We're out of the moment trying to deal with tone and consistency.

In a sense, the better setup for this was (unsurprisingly) done in the Batman animated series with the introduction of Mr. Freeze. Freeze is basically presented as a robot- unfeeling and inhuman. Batman should have no sympathy for him. But as the story unfolds Batman-and generally the audience since it wasn't like Mr. Freeze was well known to viewers at that point- discoveres his motivations, his lost love, and that creates a conflict for him. It creates a tension in the character and us that we can appreciate.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 6, 2016

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDsw86ATrQ0

how long can u last

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

"today on..."

*click*

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Got through reading the title while a commercial played.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

cd is clearly too smart 4 me

all those words for 'Frank Miller is an Authoritarian'

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I still can't believe they couldn't just adapt this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5nUsa8ZLm4

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

thats gay bro you dont even see batman do crossfit

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

lazorexplosion posted:

Is there anything on earth lazier than Jesus imagery?

Superman As Savior may be the shittiest film school hack concept in the history of the medium.

And the fact that this Superman ISN'T a savior just makes it worse.

Snyder's Superman is adored by the public as though he's Christopher Reeve, but he's at no point anything other than some weird rear end in a top hat who destroys things and lets people die by the hundreds of thousands.

So not only is the Christ-figure iconography hacky and extremely played out, it's also entirely inappropriate and improperly used.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kevin smith cried at the Flash on tv when his mom died. like actual sobbing cry tears and he posted a video of it.

but he didnt like batman v superman. daamn.. thats the most damning thing ive seen posted so far actually:stare:

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

achillesforever6 posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the theme from Batman TAS loving flawless?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Marky Marx posted:

Considering its the theme from Batman the movie, no.

Its pretty much the best movie theme ever.

achillesforever6 posted:

This was something the film really needed, just Batman and Superman skirmishing. He wanted to do a weird Dark Knight Returns send up so badly he didn't realize how much more entertaining watching them basically gently caress with each other before the big showdown would be.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Everything about Batman TAS is legitimately good.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Considering its the theme from Batman the movie, no.

Its pretty much the best movie theme ever.

Let's not forget the Noir / Art Deco look which is probably the most iconic Batman look that's ever existed.

Something that really sticks out in The Dark Knight Rises is the fact they filmed in Pittsburgh, which is the worst Gotham analog until BvS.

Burton's Batman had those gorgeous matte paintings of a gothic crumbling Art Deco city, and the first two Nolan films used Chicago which is a blend of influences from all kinds of construction styles.

Pittsburgh just looks like a red brick toilet. There's nothing stylish or romantic about it. It's just a dirty, average, mundane city. And it's very much not Batman/iconic.

In BvS Gotham is just a crappy neighborhood across the river from Metropolis. No loving style whatsoever.

Irradiation posted:

This is the truest statement.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Irradiation posted:

Everything about the DCAU is great because its fun and has poignant moments, but also moments of levity, also its amazing the voice cast they got over the years

The evolution of Batman is great where by Batman Beyond he is the broken down bitter old man, but when Terry comes in he starts to soften up and open himself to the people he casted away.

Nothing these DC Movies do will ever top scenes like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWHHsdE_oQg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFoPc52Kd8I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8m6WxvZHmo

Pittsburgh just looks like a red brick toilet. There's nothing stylish or romantic about it. It's just a dirty, average, mundane city. And it's very much not Batman/iconic.
You take that back :argh:

Oh god you are right :negative:

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 6, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mother fucker don't you talk poo poo about Pittsburgh!!!!!

You are totally right though that Chicago is basically the perfect city to depict Gotham.

I always saw Gotham as the DC version of Chicago

Anyways, I think the reason why the Art Deco look of the Burton films and TAS worked so well is that it got to the core of Batman's influences. Batman is basically film noir. His villains are mobsters and criminals. Burton was smart enough to realize this and build a design that spoke to underlining themes of Batman as a character.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
They also used those shots of New York which completely break the feel of the movie.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

achillesforever6 posted:

Everything about the DCAU is great because its fun and has poignant moments, but also moments of levity, also its amazing the voice cast they got over the years

The evolution of Batman is great where by Batman Beyond he is the broken down bitter old man, but when Terry comes in he starts to soften up and open himself to the people he casted away.

Nothing these DC Movies do will ever top scenes like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWHHsdE_oQg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFoPc52Kd8I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8m6WxvZHmo

You take that back :argh:

Oh god you are right :negative:

if they don't 100% redo that aquaman scene in his movie i will eat my hat. it's like the ooooone time he was absolutely badass with no real way of 'lol aquaman'ing i away

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Marky Marx posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge5HZuKd9Bc

Burton's Batman had those gorgeous matte paintings of a gothic crumbling Art Deco city

This is the truest statement.

http://www.1989batman.com/2013/04/production-materials-pinewood-studios.html

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 6, 2016

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Def different from the movie imo. thanks for this btw.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

literally saw what it was and clicked off before the commercial finished as well.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

man that 5th grader looks terrible

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm getting the feeling, from Zack Snyder's interview, that the whole "Martha" moment was a core point the entire movie was built around.

"Like they're fighting and just destroying everything, right? Then Superman calls out his mother's name, Martha, and it happens to be Batman's mother's name! Oh my god. It changes everything, right. Audiences will be blown the gently caress away! Give me a quarter of a billion dollars."

Of course, it's not the first time a whole work has been created just a single shared name moment:

Star Trek v X-Men.

achillesforever6 posted:

I always liked this moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME66HTeNbHY

Because of course Batman already knows who they are. He's Batman.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

lfield posted:

what is it about CD that attracts people who are not too smart but want to come across as though they are

moreso than your average internet forum, i mean

did they really have a page long discussion about how superman, in fact, didn't kill that guy that he shoved through a wall at a million miles an hour?

And they keep on insulting BSS for some reason.

Chucat fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 6, 2016

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Superman and batman are the worst superheroes there i said it. A lot of people rightfully acknowledge superman is poo poo but batman is really bad too. Dark knight fuckin sucked btw.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Chucat posted:

did they really have a page long discussion about how superman, in fact, didn't kill that guy that he shoved through a wall at a million miles an hour?

This, like a million other little things in the movie, fails to work because Snyder is a great director... of photography. He wants nothing but perfect, iconic images, every shot the kind of thing that would be a two-page splash in the comics.

This means he has trouble letting the big hero scenes play out fully with little denouements. So you don't get the beat where, for example, the "Nairomi" terrorist leader is covered in dust from pulverized bricks and dazed, but set down with Superman saying he's going to send him to the Hague.

You have a montage of him saving people where every shot is done in this ponderous "iconic" manner like he's just ticking off the box "fine, here he is SAVING PEOPLE" but he has to have this impassive beatific look of stoicism and it's all done in dialogue free slow mo. Wheras Donner would have him do the rescue, show it actually play out maybe with a clever or visually interesting use of his superpowers, and then grin and charm his way through the gratitude of the rescued.

Of course that's being charitable and assuming Snyder didn't flat out just intend to have him kill the guy.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 6, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm getting the feeling, from Zack Snyder's interview, that the whole "Martha" moment was a core point the entire movie was built around.

"Like they're fighting and just destroying everything, right? Then Superman calls out his mother's name, Martha, and it happens to be Batman's mother's name! Oh my god. It changes everything, right. Audiences will be blown the gently caress away! Give me a quarter of a billion dollars."

Of course, it's not the first time a whole work has been created just a single shared name moment:

Star Trek v X-Men.

Who was it that was unmasked by some supervillain in an animated cartoon and then the villain just says "I don't know who this is"?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Last few pages of this thread have been infinitely more entertaining than I imagine BvS is.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

thathonkey posted:

Superman and batman are the worst superheroes there i said it. A lot of people rightfully acknowledge superman is poo poo but batman is really bad too. Dark knight fuckin sucked btw.

nah it's a really good movie.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

The Christmas episode is pretty great too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnKtEfPBVq0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Otisburg posted:

This, like a million other little things in the movie, fails to work because Snyder is a great director... of photography. He wants nothing but perfect, iconic images, every shot the kind of thing that would be a two-page splash in the comics.

That's pretty appropriate analogy, because while those two-page splash pages are important, a comic made entirely of them usually is a sign of bad storytelling skills.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Who was it that was unmasked by some supervillain in an animated cartoon and then the villain just says "I don't know who this is"?

It was Lex Luthor, who switched bodies with the Flash. The first thing when he realized what happened was unmask him in a mirror to discover his secret identity but had no idea who the Flash is, because he's not a world-famous reporter or billionaire playboy.

• Locked thread