Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014

Andante posted:

This is super helpful advice, thank you! I use an Android phone here and I've gotten pretty used to the interface. If I were to go that route, are the VPN recommendations in the OP still useful? I understand that which VPN is the best changes with the seasons, is there a consensus on one that is by and large functional?

ExpressVPN is the most popular one as of recently, it seems. You'll pay for it, but I've liked it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Anonymous John posted:

Our plans originally were to do some traveling while in the country, originally to Xi'an and Shanghai for the sake of getting to see all the famous landmarks. However, we found out that the May Day holiday season is during this timeframe? Would you still recommend traveling during this time? Right now I feel like holding off until at least May 2-3 to avoid the rush, and to go to either Sanya or Yangshuo for a few days just to relax.

Sanya is a collection of fairly average beach resorts. It's probably the best in China, but you're better off spending your cash in Thailand; it's cheaper and the beaches are better. Check the hotel prices for the weeks surrounding the holidays. During spring festival hotel prices are 3-5 normal.

The terracotta warriors are always busiest during holidays, and if you're unlucky you'll be in a crowd 5 deep.

Holidays just aren't a great time to visit popular famous tourist sites.

Still Xi'an has awesome food, great city walls to cycle around, and Hua Shan is close by, complete with hot spring resorts.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Welcome you to xian

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Anonymous John posted:

Hey laowai goons!

I'm traveling to China from April 27 through May 7 to visit my fiancee again who's there for research. Previously flew to her last fall in Harbin and Beijing and had such an awesome time.

Our plans originally were to do some traveling while in the country, originally to Xi'an and Shanghai for the sake of getting to see all the famous landmarks. However, we found out that the May Day holiday season is during this timeframe? Would you still recommend traveling during this time? Right now I feel like holding off until at least May 2-3 to avoid the rush, and to go to either Sanya or Yangshuo for a few days just to relax. Has any of you been there? I especially hear mixed reviews about Sanya, but Yangshuo looks awesome, perhaps cooler than Xi'an and/or Shanghai.

Thanks!

Mayday isn't a particularly big holiday for travel, it's only one day off. It'll probably be busier than normal but it's not like golden week/spring festival.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Thanks for replying! I had forgotten that Hua Shan is near Xi'an, though I'm a bit intimidated. We went up the cable car on Mutianyu Great Wall last fall and I developed a fear of heights there, can't imagine what this mountain would be like.

Andante
Jul 3, 2008

blueyedevil posted:

ExpressVPN is the most popular one as of recently, it seems. You'll pay for it, but I've liked it so far.

Good to know. I certainly don't mind paying a little more if the quality is there.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Anonymous John posted:

Thanks for replying! I had forgotten that Hua Shan is near Xi'an, though I'm a bit intimidated. We went up the cable car on Mutianyu Great Wall last fall and I developed a fear of heights there, can't imagine what this mountain would be like.

Now I'm imagining trying to take my wife up that...she drops down into a fetal position if she sees Google Earth.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Anonymous John posted:

Hua Shan is a cool mountain and you should climb it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm in Mauritius visiting my Chinese relatives and my 'aunties' are confused by my 6ft tall vegetarian white wife. That said, they are still feeding us tonnes.

Interestingly, none of them speak Chinese despite only being second gen immigrants here - they all speak creole and English.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I have 7-1/2 days to split between Shanghai and Beijing on my trip to China this August. Per my current itinerary I am spending 3 full days, 4 nights in Shanghai and then taking a train to Beijing the next morning. From there I spend a half day, 3 full days, and then a half day in Beijing before taking an afternoon train to Xi'an for continuation of my journey.

I am considering moving the train up about 12 hours so I only have 1-1/2 (two nights) in Shanghai and 4-1/2 days in Beijing.

Essentially my question is whether I should keep the time in Shanghai, or try to spend more in Beijing? What is a better city to be a tourist in?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I have 7-1/2 days to split between Shanghai and Beijing on my trip to China this August. Per my current itinerary I am spending 3 full days, 4 nights in Shanghai and then taking a train to Beijing the next morning. From there I spend a half day, 3 full days, and then a half day in Beijing before taking an afternoon train to Xi'an for continuation of my journey.

I am considering moving the train up about 12 hours so I only have 1-1/2 (two nights) in Shanghai and 4-1/2 days in Beijing.

Essentially my question is whether I should keep the time in Shanghai, or try to spend more in Beijing? What is a better city to be a tourist in?

Beijing and it's surrounding area has way more touristy stuff to see so spending more time there on a short trip would be best.

Shanghai is the better city, though.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Shot in the dark, but is anybody in Macau? I'm trying to find some folks that speak a couple of endangered languages there, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macanese_Portuguese and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macanese_Patois.
They're both critically endangered, and I'd love to see if I can find/meet speakers.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 8, 2016

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Any advice on Shenzhen when traveling for business? I've also never been to China and might be able to tag on a few days vacation. I think my colleagues in the office there will know plenty, but a goon's perspective is worth its weight in Cheetos.

Also, the Sogou app link on the first page doesn't work. Do I just nab the first result in the play store?

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007
Can anybody recommend a Chinese bank account that offers fee free international withdrawals?

I have a couple of colleagues travelling internationally, and they want to use their UnionPay / local Visa cards without being charged rediculous fees by their home banks.

Something similar to the CitiBank Plus account, but from a Chinese bank.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

French Canadian posted:

Any advice on Shenzhen when traveling for business? I've also never been to China and might be able to tag on a few days vacation. I think my colleagues in the office there will know plenty, but a goon's perspective is worth its weight in Cheetos.

Also, the Sogou app link on the first page doesn't work. Do I just nab the first result in the play store?

I'd recommend Baidu Maps as the current hotness. Although Sogou make a great keyboard app.

Somebody should probably update the OP

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Trammel posted:

I'd recommend Baidu Maps as the current hotness. Although Sogou make a great keyboard app.

On that, I would recommend getting the standalone APK instead of the google play version: http://wuxian.baidu.com/map/map_download.html The button with "Android" is the one for the apk download. I'd guess they have the same level of creepy data collection so the standalone APK probably isn't any worse.

The Google Play versions are almost 2 years old at this point and lack a lot of updated maps/features.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Trammel posted:

I'll update that with Magna Kaser's info and link.

I'm trying to keep this OP up to date but it's tough not being in China any longer and things (tech especially) change quickly.

So anything else goons, lemme know!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

How trustworthy is the Chinese mail system? If I'm sending documents with sensitive information to someone who needs to send them to the consulate are they going to get opened and read? Should I just use a courier? Mostly worried about identity theft.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They always advise using a courier for important documents. I have not personally had any issues with Chinese mail (except the delivery people are universally idiots) but I wouldn't chance it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

They always advise using a courier for important documents. I have not personally had any issues with Chinese mail (it works fine for me)

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Oracle posted:

How trustworthy is the Chinese mail system?

If it's within China just go with a kuaidi. Cheap and reliable.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

SB35 posted:

If it's within China just go with a kuaidi. Cheap and reliable.
Its international. he'll be internal but we have to get it to him first. Does Fed-Ex or the like work in China?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Oracle posted:

Its international. he'll be internal but we have to get it to him first. Does Fed-Ex or the like work in China?

I've sent documents (sensitive stuff) to china express before using Canada Post. I imagine USPS would do a similar job. It works, it's fast, the documents got there within a few days.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Oracle posted:

Fedex/UPS/DHL all ok.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Hey y'all, had another thought about visiting Shanghai and staying longer to check out one of the nearby water villages (advertised as the "Venices of the East").

Have you been to any of these here? http://www.chinatravel.com/focus/water-town/

If so, any must-see's and must-avoids?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There's a whole bunch of these water villages. A lot of them get super touristy, especially the ones easily accessible from Shanghai. But still Suzhou is decent and 西塘 was interesting. If I don't have much time I wouldn't go.

I rather go around WESTLAKE Hangzhou

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Anonymous John posted:

Hey y'all, had another thought about visiting Shanghai and staying longer to check out one of the nearby water villages (advertised as the "Venices of the East").

Have you been to any of these here? http://www.chinatravel.com/focus/water-town/

If so, any must-see's and must-avoids?

I went to Xitang back in like 2010. I remember it being kinda cool to walk around, perhaps even romantic if you stay at a hotel in the water town. You can go on a boat tour and in the evening you can buy paper flowers with a tea light in them and then float it down the water. You'll see the guys fishing out all the trash the next morning.

It's fun but really just a one day kind of thing though, as it's small and nothing too exciting is happening.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

quote:

Mudu Ancient Town has a more than a 2500 years history which is as long as the history of Suzhou City.

Huh?!

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Oracle posted:

How trustworthy is the Chinese mail system? If I'm sending documents with sensitive information to someone who needs to send them to the consulate are they going to get opened and read? Should I just use a courier? Mostly worried about identity theft.

Last week I got a Christmas card delivered to my office from my Aunt & Uncle in the UK. It was posted in early december, complete with the address written in Chinese and printed out, and an airmail sticker.

I've ordered DVDs from the US, and the seller assured me that Standard US Postal was fine. I insisted on insurance, and 10 weeks later, he's promising me a refund.

Go with a courier, and make sure it's trackable. They're very reliable, and pretty quick too.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

SB35 posted:

I went to Xitang back in like 2010. I remember it being kinda cool to walk around, perhaps even romantic if you stay at a hotel in the water town. You can go on a boat tour and in the evening you can buy paper flowers with a tea light in them and then float it down the water. You'll see the guys fishing out all the trash the next morning.

It's fun but really just a one day kind of thing though, as it's small and nothing too exciting is happening.

Thanks! We definitely want to stay overnight at one of those "authentic" guesthouses as a romantic thing, so this sounds perfect.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
At work we use DHL and stuff arrives in like a week. USPS tends to get lost forever.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I've never had a problem with usps or china post so my anecdote cancels out all your anecdotes

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Hi China thread. I'm strongly considering coming to work as a teacher in China and wondered if you had any sort of consensus on where to go/where not to go? I know that's pretty subjective but I'm having a hard time really narrowing down where I'd be aiming to work. Shanghai would be cool but I guess that's where everybody wants to go, so I'm not sure if it's viable for someone with no experience. Some people online suggest you'll only get a job there with experience. Perhaps living somewhere not far from Shanghai would be good? help.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

The law says you need experience I think. I don't know. I am in Better China aka Hong Kong (not Good China, which is Taiwan)

The tricky part about Hong Kong is getting a work visa but if you can sort that I'll have you housed and employed in a week. :toxx:
What country are you from?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm from the UK. I have looked at Taiwan and briefly thought it would be great, but then it seemed as though you mainly get a job once you're already there. I'm sure that's probably fine but it makes me feel uneasy so I went back to looking at the mainland. I hadn't even considered Hong Kong actually, but definitely would

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Paperhouse posted:

Hi China thread. I'm strongly considering coming to work as a teacher in China and wondered if you had any sort of consensus on where to go/where not to go? I know that's pretty subjective but I'm having a hard time really narrowing down where I'd be aiming to work. Shanghai would be cool but I guess that's where everybody wants to go, so I'm not sure if it's viable for someone with no experience. Some people online suggest you'll only get a job there with experience. Perhaps living somewhere not far from Shanghai would be good? help.

Regardless of what you choose to do, run your offer by here first or the Taiwan thread, and listen to the smart people who tell you what to do. Ignore the people who poo poo all over your offer because there are a fair amount of people who will poo poo all over your offer regardless of what it is.

Shanghai isn't bad but the cost of living is very high, so you're going to need a really good offer to be able to save any money there at all.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Do you have a degree? A CELTA or other TEFL certificate?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

the only good city in china is chengdu

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So guess who's getting married later this year? Apparently me. Grandma asked the fortune teller when her granddaughter and the foreigner should get hitched, and it's August or about that time. I know a few of you are married to Chinese citizens, any wedding hot tips? I have no idea what I'm doing and I think/hope the inlaws are handling the logistics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Warbird posted:

So guess who's getting married later this year? Apparently me. Grandma asked the fortune teller when her granddaughter and the foreigner should get hitched, and it's August or about that time. I know a few of you are married to Chinese citizens, any wedding hot tips? I have no idea what I'm doing and I think/hope the inlaws are handling the logistics.

If you're weak like me you can drink water instead of baijiu during the reception to save face and not get drunk