Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
The most important part of this fight was Kanaya's multitasking skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
well i guess if youre going to sit through a summoning spell, you might as well have some reading material on hand

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Some good aim with a trident here.
http://i.imgur.com/Wh6Paoz.gifv

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

DaveKap posted:

Here, have the very first part of the awesome battle.
http://i.imgur.com/1lZLJlf.gifv

Hell yes.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I'll try not to do too much per page since I know the gif thread has some folks with CPUs that are on their last limb thanks to gifv and webm.
Here's some more Kanaya multi-tasking.
http://i.imgur.com/xaZC84Q.gifv
And this part. I liked this part a lot.
http://i.imgur.com/6US72AF.gifv

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 6, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Gushing about fraymotifs and cool battles in general has already been covered so I'll refrain.

Something to consider: the preceding upd8s were all about setting everyone up against their designed adversary. Why are people complaining about that being followed up by a boss fight? There are still pages to conclude whatever else needs conclusion.

I wish the fraymotifs still had funny names, though. I could theorize better about their meaning if they did and I always found classpect to be fascinating.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Who What Now posted:

Wait, sorry, hold up.

This is literally, actually literally and not just figuratively, the exact opposite of Granny's entire character. Her entire deal is that she could do big magical things left and right, but explicitly and purposefully doesn't. Every single book she's ever been in has been about not using your powers to take the easy way out and instead taking the much harder way of being a person about it and actually solving the problem in a way that keeps the problem solved.

You really done goofed if the above was somehow your takeaway from any of Pratchett's books.

That was my original point about witches in fiction, they have massive powers that get used once or twice in the story, and the previous quotes response is granny weather wax disapproves.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Gushing about fraymotifs and cool battles in general has already been covered so I'll refrain.

Something to consider: the preceding upd8s were all about setting everyone up against their designed adversary. Why are people complaining about that being followed up by a boss fight? There are still pages to conclude whatever else needs conclusion.

I wish the fraymotifs still had funny names, though. I could theorize better about their meaning if they did and I always found classpect to be fascinating.

It's homestuck there's exactly two things you can do about it.
Discuss it, or Complain about it.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
For what little it's worth, I had fun watching, even if I don't really care for analyzing the significance or insignificance of each character arc. I blame me not even remembering said arcs after all these years. :shobon: I'm not sure what it was exactly that came off this way to me, but the bulk of the battles felt like they could have come from, say, a fighting game or some kind of RPG. Maybe it was the slow walk cycles - Jack slowly meandering about and occasionally blasting lasers at people felt like some AI/animation weirdness I'd see in an MMO.

I guess if I have one real regret, I'd have liked to see Kanaya get a bit more spotlight in the battle (unless I managed to forget something). Sure, she's outclassed by God Tiers, but that didn't stop Terezi from holding her own, and a Space/Void Fraymotif could have been interesting - or if there's some kind of close bond requirement, at least a Space/Light one. At least we got her making the most of downtime and catching up on a book.

Definitely an abrupt and ominous note to end on; my best guess is that Alt-Calliope is about to complete her plan. Hopefully that doesn't bring everything to a screeching halt like it almost feels like it will. :ohdear:

Spellman
May 31, 2011

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

A couple of the neat things you can do when combining time powers and seer powers:
http://i.imgur.com/0nXs9Rs.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/WDl9NhJ.gifv
You really gotta hand it to Hussie, he's super creative with Chrono Trigger combo creations.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Man, the Terezi and Dave teamups make me fondly recall their amazing pesterlogs. Some of the best in Homestuck. I wish they'd maintained that level of interaction, but c'est la vie

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

What time is it?

http://i.imgur.com/IpBAsiB.gifv

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

Remem8er was a quarter as long and about fifteen times more effective because it was actually resonant over smashing action figures together

This was the Batman vs Superman of Homestuck Flashes

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Heir of Grief is such a good loving song, I was tearing up at the start of it. I don't think I've liked a Homestuck song this much since Overture back in 2012.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Well my one thing hasn't not happened so I'm pretty okay rn

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

There's a bit more I could do but I think I covered the most interesting scenes so I'll end with these goodies and be done for the night.

The homage.
http://i.imgur.com/64Dp1uD.gifv

The ghosticide.
http://i.imgur.com/Sq6VSkG.gifv

I don't think I even honestly knew what the gently caress was happening in this when I saw it for the first time.
http://i.imgur.com/D9tsAWS.gifv

I guess Jake did stuff?
http://i.imgur.com/RZPnF9J.gifv
Nope, nothing worthy of webms and gifvs.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

You know, I wasn't expecting the ghosts to succeed, but they could have put up at least some token resistance.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Also Karkat standing victorious over a hog tied Clover is the funniest god drat thing

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

Also Karkat standing victorious over a hog tied Clover is the funniest god drat thing

And apparently Clover has some complicated feelings about Karkat now. Leprachaun feelings.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Dolash posted:

Wait, is Jane dead? She got choked hard by the Condesce and wasn't celebrating her defeat at the end.

Watch, she probably is. And John seeing Dad heartbroken over her makes him go back and retcon the fight, and hussie takes down the old youtube video and uploads a new one, and however many of the 40 pages were posted get updated. Maybe he retcons the fight more than once and Hussie keeps uploading different versions to replace the old one. Only the final version is uploaded as a flash to mspa.com.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The only thing that kept bugging me was how quaint / nostagic / dated this all felt? couldnt shake that feeling of 'aww a homestuck battle flash'.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
OH GOD ITS loving HAPPENING

MY BODY IS NOT READY

yes i know im late to the party gently caress off

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

SynthOrange posted:

The only thing that kept bugging me was how quaint / nostagic / dated this all felt? couldnt shake that feeling of 'aww a homestuck battle flash'.

That's amusing, because we've basically never really had a battle flash quite like that.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

I really liked that, the sprite fights did a great job of bringing back that sense of off-the-wall fun from the early Acts that's been sort of lacking in Homestuck lately - Nanna's cookies, the wizard statue, salamander necromancy, the Felt. It balanced out nicely with the more serious character moments later in the animation.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SynthOrange posted:

I liked that it was pretty old-style Homestuck, like just the sort of thing we'd get accompanying songs like Beatdown early on, only taken as far as absolutely possible.

And with a bit more... strength and structure to it? Most of the actual fighting felt a LOT like a good beat 'em up, rather than the more abstract yet still gamey ways a lot of those fight scenes were depicted.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Why are people so forgiving to Gamzee? I've seen a bunch of 'Poor Gamzee! :ohdear:' on other mediums. Dude's literally a doomsday cultist trying to bring about the end of reality, and has murdered some of the cast.

At least when Aranea killed some of the cast, her endgame was 'save reality', not destroy it, and the fandom seems to loving loathe her.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

My favorite non-playable flashes in this series have been

[S] Descend.
[S] Jade: Enter.
[S] MSPA Reader: Mental breakdown.

Spellman fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 6, 2016

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

WAR FOOT posted:

Why are people so forgiving to Gamzee? I've seen a bunch of 'Poor Gamzee! :ohdear:' on other mediums. Dude's literally a doomsday cultist trying to bring about the end of reality, and has murdered some of the cast.

At least when Aranea killed some of the cast, her endgame was 'save reality', not destroy it, and the fandom seems to loving loathe her.

It's like an infection. They got attached to him when he was a harmless stoner and now they're down with the clown. The only cure is fire.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Akett posted:

Heir of Grief is such a good loving song, I was tearing up at the start of it. I don't think I've liked a Homestuck song this much since Overture back in 2012.
https://homestuck.bandcamp.com/track/heir-of-grief

It's Homestuck meets Dragonforce and it's just so good you guys.

Editi: a bit of At The Drive In and Howl's Moving Castle too. SO GOOD.

Roger Explosion fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 6, 2016

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
trip report: that was loving awesome

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Roger Explosion posted:

https://homestuck.bandcamp.com/track/heir-of-grief

It's Homestuck meets Dragonforce and it's just so good you guys.

https://tenseimusic.bandcamp.com/releases is the original source.

Of gods and witches is also rad.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

WAR FOOT posted:

I like Gamzee but I don't think there's been a lot of Gamzee defenders since he went(?) God Tier.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Man I cant believe this poo poo is finally, actually ending. My heart broke a little when Bec Noir died, he was like the OG bad guy in the comic and he's been rampaging around the comic for a long, long time and seeing him die was a very 'oh god the comic is actually ending' kind of moment.

Okay that's a lie my heart broke a lot, I'm going to miss this stupid goddamned longwinded comic. Homestuck ending is definitely a good thing because it's definitely past its expiration date and like huge swaths of act 6 just dont need to exist, but its very bittersweet

Magres fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 6, 2016

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Magres posted:

Man I cant believe this poo poo is finally, actually ending. My heart broke a little when Bec Noir died, he was like the OG bad guy in the comic and he's been rampaging around the comic for a long, long time and seeing him die was a very 'oh god the comic is actually ending' kind of moment.

Okay that's a lie my heart broke a lot, I'm going to miss this stupid goddamned longwinded comic. Homestuck ending is definitely a good thing because it's definitely past its expiration date and like huge swaths of act 6 just dont need to exist, but its very bittersweet

Do we know he's dead?

I mean he got his arm cut off, but he seemed alive before he got punched in the face and ended up on the ground next to Jade.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Noooo, :rip: Condesce :(

I cant believe we have a week left

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Spellman posted:

I like Gamzee but I don't think there's been a lot of Gamzee defenders since he went(?) God Tier.

quote:

OPEN THE FRIDGE

STOP HAVING IT BE CLOSED

quote:

Please let my baby out, he doesn’t even know whats going on.

quote:

for real though Gamzee in the fridge was the absolute worst part about all this like please open the fridge stop having it be closed

Gamzee is an example of a deplorable character that I still sort of enjoy. I would at least appreciate understanding what the gently caress is going on with him. Is he still having a religious mindblender over LE or has mind control scrambled his eggs some more or what.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

team overhead smash posted:

Do we know he's dead?

I mean he got his arm cut off, but he seemed alive before he got punched in the face and ended up on the ground next to Jade.

Oh wait youre right, poo poo! I just assumed he got shanked shortly thereafter, though either way bec noir is dead because he's now jack noir again.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What's PM going to do with that ring.

Wait does she still have to deliver it somewhere?

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Cleretic posted:

I liked that it was pretty old-style Homestuck, like just the sort of thing we'd get accompanying songs like Beatdown early on, only taken as far as absolutely possible.

And with a bit more... strength and structure to it? Most of the actual fighting felt a LOT like a good beat 'em up, rather than the more abstract yet still gamey ways a lot of those fight scenes were depicted.

Yeah, I especially liked that we finally got to see some fraymotifs featured as they've been mentioned since forever but I'm pretty sure they were never pictured until now. And like you said, the 2D fighting game style parts were probably my favorite part of the flash aside from when Dad finally hulks out and helps put the hurt down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Gamzee is an example of a deplorable character that I still sort of enjoy. I would at least appreciate understanding what the gently caress is going on with him. Is he still having a religious mindblender over LE or has mind control scrambled his eggs some more or what.

His established timeline involves being dunked under the oceans until they dry up so he can raise the cherubs, checks out for still a crazy cultist.